Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Re: Game 2: Hawks vs Nets - Friday, 01/01/21 | 7:30pm EST | YES 

Post#161 » by GTR11 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 2:40 am

DarkXaero wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:Just an overall bad game on both ends of the court... Atlanta isn't even a good team :lol:.. Just goes to show you that the Nets themselves have work to do and can't take a mediocre team for granted.

Are you basing your evaluation of them being mediocre on their performance in previous years?

IMO, they’re clearly a much better and deeper team than they were in years past.
They are, and Gallo isn't even playing tonight. If we had Gallo on our roster, he'd be our 3rd best player right now.

If we had Din our third best player we would've beat them out easy. Gallo never healthy, never was never will. He misses half of the season limping around rest of it..
See how it can work? This could've would've should've don't count. Bums teams do win at times. If he think they ain't PO team he has all the right to think so. Hawks didn't prove damn thing as of right now, it's early. It's ain't how you start it's how you finish.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,094

Post#162 » by therealbig3 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 2:44 am

Collins and Capela absolutely dominated Deandre and Allen btw. Every time Allen looks like he's right on the cusp of taking that next step, he goes out and gets wrecked big time by his matchup.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,235

Post#163 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jan 2, 2021 2:44 am

We just didn't knock down our shots. We had great looks and missed a ton. Everybody was off except for KD. We do have problems on the glass and defensively but what did us in was that we missed too many great looks. That won't happen every game. We went 7-37 from 3, had we knock down 4-5 more of those we would of been right in it.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#164 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Jan 2, 2021 2:46 am

DarkXaero wrote:This Nets team has a long way to go and I have some serious concerns about this roster.

Preseason projections are usually based on talent and prior year’s performance.

The talent of our top 5 players was/is top 2-4 in the league, but the fit isn’t that great. Shooting is a premium in today’s game and Levert and Dinwiddie aren’t shooters. That was always going to be a potential issue. Losing Dinwiddie’s ability to drive and draw fouls hurts even further.

As it stands right now, what are we outside of Kyrie, KD, Harris, and occasionally Allen? We don’t have strong interior defense or perimeter defense. We don’t have great shooting across the team.

I think our offensive system will get better as the season goes on, but we desperately need more and better shooters as well as good wing defense. It’ll be interesting to see if Marks does anything by the trade deadline.
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#165 » by Sharcm1 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 2:51 am

Their defense and rebounding become a major issue when they aren’t hitting shots. This team will live and die by their offense. The rebounding is a huge issue. Need to team rebound
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#166 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Jan 2, 2021 2:52 am

DarkXaero wrote:For all the Allen love, he didnt have a good half either.

It’s not even that Allen is a world beater. It’s that DJ is that bad...SMH.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,094

Post#167 » by therealbig3 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 2:54 am

Damn Kustok looking like a snack.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#168 » by GTR11 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 2:55 am

Papi_swav wrote:We just didn't knock down our shots. We had great looks and missed a ton. Everybody was off except for KD. We do have problems on the glass and defensively but what did us in was that we missed too many great looks. That won't happen every game. We went 7-37 from 3, had we knock down 4-5 more of those we would of been right in it.

Pretty much this. Right now its get to know and see time. Having rookie coach run things won't make it easier, you lose one of your top 4 players ... we will be good. We will be blowing teams out ones we figure it out. I won't bother listening narrative of others on Twitter or else till I see this team clicking after some good chunk of time. Its to early, we don't even have set rotations yet.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#169 » by GTR11 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 2:56 am

therealbig3 wrote:Collins and Capela absolutely dominated Deandre and Allen btw. Every time Allen looks like he's right on the cusp of taking that next step, he goes out and gets wrecked big time by his matchup.

one soft another washed up. I wouldn't hold my breath till there.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#170 » by Shark » Sat Jan 2, 2021 2:58 am

therealbig3 wrote:Collins and Capela absolutely dominated Deandre and Allen btw. Every time Allen looks like he's right on the cusp of taking that next step, he goes out and gets wrecked big time by his matchup.

Yeah it's disappointing. I think the biggest sign for growth for him will be how bounces back from a game like this.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#171 » by gigantes » Sat Jan 2, 2021 2:59 am

Alright, I've been thinking this for a few games now...

K&K are incredible, but is the foundation of this team really anything special?

I'm not sure we're even an average team without K&K, and I thought that kinda related to why they came here in the first place.

Seems like there's a working assumption that our core team should battle more-or-less evenly with the other team, then K&K come along to crush their dreams.

Which is great! The problem is...
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#172 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:01 am

GTR11 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:We just didn't knock down our shots. We had great looks and missed a ton. Everybody was off except for KD. We do have problems on the glass and defensively but what did us in was that we missed too many great looks. That won't happen every game. We went 7-37 from 3, had we knock down 4-5 more of those we would of been right in it.

Pretty much this. Right now its get to know and see time. Having rookie coach run things won't make it easier, you lose one of your top 4 players ... we will be good. We will be blowing teams out ones we figure it out. I won't bother listening narrative of others on Twitter or else till I see this team clicking after some good chunk of time. Its to early, we don't even have set rotations yet.

Yea exactly, I'm not panicking just yet, no other contender is off to a perfect start either. Remember guys, the HEAT big 3 started off like 8-8 their first year together. Be patient.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#173 » by Paradise » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:01 am

But the usual suspects here haven’t knocked down shots or contested any since Boston. That’s not good. The team outside of Kyrie, KD and Joe look about the same against Charlotte, Memphis and Atlanta.

I don’t think some of these guys will get better at making consistent shots but more so, defensively some of our bench guys look remarkably slow defensively and on rotations.

Nash needs to insert some injection of athleticism into the rotation like Bruce Brown or Tyler Johnson. Something.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#174 » by DarkXaero » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:01 am

gigantes wrote:Alright, I've been thinking this for a few games now...

K&K are incredible, but is the foundation of this team really anything special?

I'm not sure we're even an average team without K&K, and I thought that kinda related to why they came here in the first place.
We're all good, I've been told here many times that Caris Levert is a young, all star caliber player, and our 3rd best player...
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#175 » by DarkXaero » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:02 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:For all the Allen love, he didnt have a good half either.

It’s not even that Allen is a world beater. It’s that DJ is that bad...SMH.
They were both awful tonight. I don't think it's fair to destroy one, while the other escapes the blame.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#176 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:05 am

Paradise wrote:

But the usual suspects here haven’t knocked down shots or contested any since Boston. That’s not good. The team outside of Kyrie, KD and Joe look about the same against Charlotte, Memphis and Atlanta.

I don’t think some of these guys will get better at making consistent shots but more so, defensively some of our bench guys look remarkably slow defensively and on rotations.

Nash needs to insert some injection of athleticism into the rotation like Bruce Brown or Tyler Johnson. Something.

They're just in a shooting slump. it happens. And also its still very early. You think Shamet, Prince and TLC is going to go 1-6 every game? Shots will fall. Levert played a little better today by not chucking up those step back 3s, he got into the lane a little. It will take a little time, be patient. We do have concerns on rebounding and defense but we all knew our defense wasn't great to begin with. We need a defender on the wing almost desperately.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,829

Post#177 » by Karate Diop » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:12 am

GTR11 wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:Are you basing your evaluation of them being mediocre on their performance in previous years?

IMO, they’re clearly a much better and deeper team than they were in years past.
They are, and Gallo isn't even playing tonight. If we had Gallo on our roster, he'd be our 3rd best player right now.

If we had Din our third best player we would've beat them out easy. Gallo never healthy, never was never will. He misses half of the season limping around rest of it..
See how it can work? This could've would've should've don't count. Bums teams do win at times. If he think they ain't PO team he has all the right to think so. Hawks didn't prove damn thing as of right now, it's early. It's ain't how you start it's how you finish.

I love Gallo but still don't see the Hawks increasing their win total by 20+ and becoming a playoff team this year... When it's all said and done I expect them to rate as a bad defensive team and for their gimmick offense to fail them more often than not. They really need another player who can create for themselves, and while Gallo will be that guy when he plays, how many games will he actually play?

If they're smart and keep Collins their future is bright, but they're another 1-2 years away from scaring anyone...
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#178 » by Sharcm1 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:13 am

Well that was something.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,466

Post#179 » by Stone » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:24 am

• Nashy needs to take some of the blame tonight, our offense and lineups are predictable. He passed on time outs when we should have taken them. We looked unprepared.....a lot.

• The turn overs killed us too. 15 may not be a remarkable amount but they came when we needed baskets and we could not close the gap.

• It is way too soon to make a rash concussions. Wait until we have played 20 games and see where we are.

• The loss of Spencer is glaring. We really need Caris to step up and get to the line.

• Put some respect on Atlanta, they are going to make a lot of noise this season.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#180 » by Paradise » Sat Jan 2, 2021 4:26 am

Stone wrote:• Nashy needs to take some of the blame tonight, our offense and lineups are predictable. He passed on time outs when we should have taken them. We looked unprepared.....a lot.

• The turn overs killed us too. 15 may not be a remarkable amount but they came when we needed baskets and we could not close the gap.

• It is way too soon to make a rash concussions. Wait until we have played 20 games and see where we are.

• The loss of Spencer is glaring. We really need Caris to step up and get to the line.

• Put some respect on Atlanta, they are going to make a lot of noise this season.

This.

I’d even go further and say some moments we needed a timeout and didn’t take one was almost cringeworthy. At some point, a player will attempt to do it for him if he continues. We could afford that ideology with a pretty good record but we’re starting off slow.

I liked when he immediately called a timeout against Boston but then, realizing it was only due to Spencer getting hit in the head didn’t bode well now that we’re here. KD defended him tonight on the lack of TOs in critical runs but it’s not a good look.

I truly hope D’antoni, JV and Udoka actually have a lot of weight and can tell him how much he needs to improve his command of the tempo as a coach because he’s been brutally out coached. I get the loss of Spencer took a hit on things but it’s alarming not seeing him get creative and throw in new guys to see how they respond. Not even Perry?

Everyone knows DJ is TRASH. Kevin pulled him aside last game on the end and got on him about his play.

Tonight, Kyrie yells at DJ for not rotating defensively. Dude is going to eventually end up on the bench and he better like it.

Return to Brooklyn Nets