ImageImageImage

Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1481 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:50 am

The personal freedom argument is a red herring. Has Canada lost personal freedoms with its mask mandate? Actually, the laissez-faire attitude of the current administration towards the pandemic has significantly curtailed my personal freedom. I can no longer travel to Canada. And while I have an Italian passport and could travel to the EU, my spouse cannot.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,211

Post#1482 » by Parliament10 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:50 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Kids Are Alright
Veteran
And1: 137

Post#1483 » by Kids Are Alright » Sun Jan 3, 2021 10:22 am

Thanks to Capt Caveman and Exculp for some great posts...from a new grandfather that can’t see his grandson until the vaccines are administered.
I teach and somehow can’t manage to stop doing lab work and working too closely w/kids, (several of my dept members the same) thus I am definitely part of the problem. Thankfully, kids are fully masked despite parent predilections.
The Capt’s lengthy post is the best summary that I’ve read on the vaccination program, which is dribbling out at the pace of the Celtics’ defense against the dreaded Pistons the other night.
Tanking :nonono: Live for the day 8-)
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#1484 » by jmr07019 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:57 pm

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said about 5.9 million people have received a dose of a Covid-19 vaccine, far short of the goal federal officials set to give at least 20 million people their first shots before the end of December.

The federal government said Thursday that it had delivered more than 21.4 million doses to states, territories and federal agencies. The shipments, which came after a record-setting race to develop, study and approve a vaccine, have marked a turning point in the pandemic at a time when deaths and cases continue to set records.

But federal health officials recently acknowledged that the vaccine rollout had had a slower-than-expected start and said they did not have a clear understanding as to why only a portion of the doses shipped across the nation had made it into arms.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

Hopefully this is just because of the holidays but it's certainly weird. I would have thought they would all be spoken for before the shipments had arrived. Maybe the shipments came in towards the end of the month and not at the beginning of the month. This article is from yesterday. Hopefully we have better numbers by the end of January. I tend to think we won't be back to normal until the fall despite more optimistic predictions from various places.
Show Love Spread Love
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,441

Post#1485 » by SichtingLives » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:30 pm

10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,858

Post#1486 » by Jammer » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:15 pm

Time for the NBA to re-instate the Bubble in Orlando, which worked magnificently to complete the last few games of the shortened 2020 season as well as the playoffs.
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,352

Post#1487 » by tlee324 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:38 pm

Coronavirus been the most dominant player in the league so far :/
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,722

Post#1488 » by Slax » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:13 pm

My wife had her second dose of the Pfizer vaccine a few days ago. She got a bit warm and had some mild malaise for a day, but nothing that a bit of ibuprofen couldn't fix, and is completely fine now. My sister who is also a health care worker and received the vaccine said something similar, as well as most of my wife's and sister's co-workers. So the good news is, side effects seem to be relatively mild and manageable for most people. Good stuff. Looking forward to the vaccine becoming widely available to the general public.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#1489 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:46 pm

Does anyone know which vaccine protects the most? Which one has the fewest side effects?

My nephew, who is an ER nurse, said he had a pretty unpleasant reaction to the second shot, but not nearly as unpleasant as being sick with Covid-19. He got the Pfizer vaccine, but there is also the Moderna vaccine out there and I've read about a single-dose Johnson &Johnson vaccine that is undergoing phase 3 testing.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,441

Post#1490 » by SichtingLives » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:29 am

My wife will get her second dose of Moderna next week. She had no side effects from the first one, hopefully this goes as well for her. I really wish I could get in on this vaccine but I know it ain't happening anytime soon as I am very unimportant. Gigs are starting to open up now, I damn sure need the work/money and I'm not comfortable jumping back into that environment before we can get outside in the spring. No idea what kind of hyenas are currently frequenting bar/restaurants right now but I do know everyone in my business is desperate to make some money.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,352

Post#1491 » by tlee324 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:13 am

I had the Moderna Monday and it's hit me hard with side effects. Pfizer has had less side effects but both have been proven effective to 95%.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,312

Post#1492 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:37 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Does anyone know which vaccine protects the most? Which one has the fewest side effects?

My nephew, who is an ER nurse, said he had a pretty unpleasant reaction to the second shot, but not nearly as unpleasant as being sick with Covid-19. He got the Pfizer vaccine, but there is also the Moderna vaccine out there and I've read about a single-dose Johnson &Johnson vaccine that is undergoing phase 3 testing.

J&J will soon be the one most people get, but Moderna and Pfizer have better efficacy.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 10,926

Post#1493 » by exculpatory » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:29 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:Does anyone know which vaccine protects the most? Which one has the fewest side effects?

Do NOT be choosy. We are older. Get the **** vaccine in your arm ASAP.

J&J will soon be the one most people get, but Moderna and Pfizer have better efficacy.

Not yet known.

The efficacy of the single dose J&J will be known within a month or so, & it may roll out by early March. It would be beyond awesome if its efficacy approached the ~95% efficacy of the 2 dose Moderna & Pfizer vaccines.

“Under normal circumstances, phase 3 trial results would not be anticipated within weeks of phase 1/2a trial findings. However, the urgency of the COVID-19 pandemic accelerated the vaccine development process, so preclinical trials were conducted simultaneously and not sequentially.

For this reason, phase 3 interim results for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine are expected within weeks, and a company executive told Reuters that the rollout is on track for March.

‘We hope to report data from our first phase 3 study, ENSEMBLE, in which we are testing the protective efficacy of a single dose of Ad26.COV2.S, by the end of this month or early February,” Dr. Schuitemaker said.’ “

https://www.mdedge.com/internalmedicine/article/234682/coronavirus-updates/next-likely-covid-19-vaccine-has-its-advantages?ecd=wnl_evn_210115_mdedge_8pm&utm_source=News_MDedge_eNL_011521_F&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Arthritis+drugs+%27impressive%27+for+severe+COVID+but+not+%27magic+cure%27&sso=true
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Slax
Assistant Coach

Post#1494 » by Slax » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:28 pm

exculpatory wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

Do NOT be choosy. We are older. Get the **** vaccine in your arm ASAP.

Not yet known.

The efficacy of the single dose J&J will be known within a month or so, & it may roll out by early March. It would be beyond awesome if its efficacy approached the ~95% efficacy of the 2 dose Moderna & Pfizer vaccines.

“Under normal circumstances, phase 3 trial results would not be anticipated within weeks of phase 1/2a trial findings. However, the urgency of the COVID-19 pandemic accelerated the vaccine development process, so preclinical trials were conducted simultaneously and not sequentially.

For this reason, phase 3 interim results for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine are expected within weeks, and a company executive told Reuters that the rollout is on track for March.

‘We hope to report data from our first phase 3 study, ENSEMBLE, in which we are testing the protective efficacy of a single dose of Ad26.COV2.S, by the end of this month or early February,” Dr. Schuitemaker said.’ “

https://www.mdedge.com/internalmedicine/article/234682/coronavirus-updates/next-likely-covid-19-vaccine-has-its-advantages?ecd=wnl_evn_210115_mdedge_8pm&utm_source=News_MDedge_eNL_011521_F&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Arthritis+drugs+%27impressive%27+for+severe+COVID+but+not+%27magic+cure%27&sso=true

One thing to add about "efficacy" is that it's just a top line number that is easy to understand, but doesn't tell the complete picture. I think it's too early to tell if this is really the case, but consistently across all the phase 3 trials, one thing we've been seeing is that the vaccines might not just prevent COVID, but also potentially make cases that would have been severe more moderate. This shows up in data not just of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, but also seemingly of the less efficacious Sinovac and Astrazeneca vaccines. That means if you get a vaccine that's 75% efficacious for preventing infection and on top of that most of the remaining infections aren't severe, getting that into your arm a couple months earlier could save your life. Super hard to tell if this is actually what's happening or if it's just statistical artifacts so far, but I'm pretty hopeful.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 10,926

Post#1495 » by exculpatory » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:20 am

Slax wrote:
exculpatory wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

Not yet known.

One thing to add about "efficacy" is that it's just a top line number that is easy to understand, but doesn't tell the complete picture. I think it's too early to tell if this is really the case, but consistently across all the phase 3 trials, one thing we've been seeing is that the vaccines might not just prevent COVID, but also potentially make cases that would have been severe more moderate. This shows up in data not just of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, but also seemingly of the less efficacious Sinovac and Astrazeneca vaccines. That means if you get a vaccine that's 75% efficacious for preventing infection and on top of that most of the remaining infections aren't severe, getting that into your arm a couple months earlier could save your life. Super hard to tell if this is actually what's happening or if it's just statistical artifacts so far, but I'm pretty hopeful.

Valid point.
I already posted some of this recently.

To be clear:

Moderna & Pfizer appear to be ~95% effective in preventing SYMPTOMATIC COVID.

Vaccinated patients who manifest SYMPTOMATIC COVID do not seem to develop a severe illness.

What is not yet known is if these 2 vaccines prevent ASYMPTOMATIC COVID & therefore potential transmission. Preliminary data are hopeful. That is why masking/distancing will still be necessary for vaccinated people until the prevention of ASYMPTOMATIC COVID is documented or there is vaccination-induced herd immunity. (PS Lots of really stupid/poorly informed people are not going to understand this.)

I agree with you that even if J&J (only 1 shot) & AZ turn out to be less efficacious (~75%) at preventing SYMPTOMATIC COVID, but ALSO appear to disallow severe illness in the vaccinated patients who do become SYMPTOMATIC, it is most definitely worthwhile getting injected with those vaccines (if that is what is offered to you).
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#1496 » by jmr07019 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:49 pm

Biden's goal is 100 million inoculations in the first 100 days. Is someone inoculated after the first shot or do they need the second shot to be considered inoculated?

The outgoing Trump administration had a goal of administering 20 million doses by the end of 2020, but they fell woefully short. Vaccinations have picked up somewhat. According to the CDC, there have now been about 31 million people who have received the first of their two-dose shots.

“One thing that’s clear is that the issue of getting 100 million doses in the first 100 days is absolutely a doable thing. There’s no doubt about that... it can be done,” Fauci said.

https://www.biospace.com/article/pfizer-ceo-backs-biden-100-million-dose-plan-in-100-days/

If we could get 200 million people inoculated in 200 days (which is almost 7 months) coupled with the 30 million who have gotten a shot already we would be pretty damn close to heard immunity given how many people have already had the virus. Soooo it's looking like absolute best case scenario is September...... ugh

Edit: Looking back at my last post in this thread we had just under 6 million people with at least 1 shot in them on January 8th. 10 days later we have 31 million people with at least 1 shot in them. 25 million doses administered or 2.5 million/day. This is a HUGE improvement and reason for optimism. No idea if that rate is sustainable but even if it's not Biden's 1 million shots / day seem very doable.
Show Love Spread Love
Slax
Assistant Coach

Post#1497 » by Slax » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:48 pm

jmr07019 wrote:Biden's goal is 100 million inoculations in the first 100 days. Is someone inoculated after the first shot or do they need the second shot to be considered inoculated?

The outgoing Trump administration had a goal of administering 20 million doses by the end of 2020, but they fell woefully short. Vaccinations have picked up somewhat. According to the CDC, there have now been about 31 million people who have received the first of their two-dose shots.

“One thing that’s clear is that the issue of getting 100 million doses in the first 100 days is absolutely a doable thing. There’s no doubt about that... it can be done,” Fauci said.

https://www.biospace.com/article/pfizer-ceo-backs-biden-100-million-dose-plan-in-100-days/

If we could get 200 million people inoculated in 200 days (which is almost 7 months) coupled with the 30 million who have gotten a shot already we would be pretty damn close to heard immunity given how many people have already had the virus. Soooo it's looking like absolute best case scenario is September...... ugh

Edit: Looking back at my last post in this thread we had just under 6 million people with at least 1 shot in them on January 8th. 10 days later we have 31 million people with at least 1 shot in them. 25 million doses administered or 2.5 million/day. This is a HUGE improvement and reason for optimism. No idea if that rate is sustainable but even if it's not Biden's 1 million shots / day seem very doable.

I think what they are saying is that they will get 100 million shots in arms in the first 100 days, rather than that they will administer shots to 100 million new people. It doesn't seem to be specified how those shots will be distributed to each of three subgroups: people who already got one shot during the Trump administration and then get a second after Biden takes office, people who will get one shot during the first 100 days of Biden administration, and people who will get both shots during the first 100 days of Biden administration. Frankly I think it probably doesn't really matter - the point is just to ramp up production and distribution, which I am confident will happen, although I don't know whether it will happen in Biden's first 100 days.

Honestly if I'm reading this right, I think this is a pretty achievable goal, if not on the low side. 100 million doses in 100 days means a million a day. We're already exceeding 700k doses a day, Pfizer and Moderna are both expecting to ramp up production over the next few months, and we are likely to have new entrants from J&J and AZ starting in late February. I'm not an expert, but I'll be kind of disappointed if we don't meet that goal.

On top of that, we have to think a lot about what happens after that first 100 days. In a lot of ways, the fact that we're being a bit slow to start so like 4% of the population is vaccinated instead of 5% is way less important than whether and how quickly we can scale up later to quickly get 10%, 20%, 50%, etc of the population vaccinated. I want to see some serious preparation for mass vaccination that has to happen in late spring through summer.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,405

Post#1498 » by theman » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:58 pm

The New York Times: After Unused Vaccines Are Thrown In Trash, Cuomo Loosens Rules
Across New York State, medical providers in recent weeks had the same story: They had been forced to throw out precious vaccine doses because of difficulties finding patients who matched precisely with the state’s strict vaccination guidelines — and the steep penalties they would face had they made a mistake. On Saturday, state health officials responded to the outcry over discarded vaccines by again abruptly loosening guidelines as coronavirus cases continued to rise. (Rubinstein, 1/10)
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,405

Post#1499 » by theman » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:00 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:The personal freedom argument is a red herring. Has Canada lost personal freedoms with its mask mandate? Actually, the laissez-faire attitude of the current administration towards the pandemic has significantly curtailed my personal freedom. I can no longer travel to Canada. And while I have an Italian passport and could travel to the EU, my spouse cannot.

The laissez-faire attitude of the out going administration is what got a vaccine out far faster than people thought possible.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#1500 » by ddb » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:01 pm

I guess the good news is there’s a growing number of players on the Celts roster that have tested positive which I guess means they are in the clear moving forward. Probably better to have to go through the roster sooner than later.
Virus is gonna virus.

Return to Boston Celtics