ImageImageImage

Tom Thibodeau

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Who Would You Rather have as Wolves Coach?

Tom Thibodeau
39%
Ryan Saunders
61%

Total votes: 38

UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Tom Thibodeau 

Post#1 » by UnFadeable21 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:28 am

Did the Wolves and Glen Taylor Fire him too early?

He broke the Wolves playoff drought of 15 years, something Rambis, Wittman, Casey, Aldeman, Flip, Mitchell couldn’t do.

He’s taking one of the worst teams in the Knicks and have them 3-2 beating the undefeated Pacers 4-0 tonight.

Glen fired Thibs after beating the lakers by 20+ that night with a record of 19-21 that 3rd season.

Ryan Saunders record in 3 years now is 38-73, a 34% win percentage.

Thibs 3 year record with the Wolves was 97-107, a 47% win percentage.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Re: Tom Thibodeau 

Post#2 » by TheDominator273 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:31 am

No Thibs was terrible here and was given far too much organizational control. It's 5 games into the season and the start has been weird across the league. The Knicks will be back to being a mid lotto team as the season hits it's stride.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#3 » by UnFadeable21 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:40 am

Compare their post game demeanor and comments

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#4 » by Calinks » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:52 am

This happens every time. People hate a coach, he gets fired, we get a new coach and people are happy. Soon as things go bad, people start to compare the old coach to the new coach and talk about why the team messed up.

Thibs lost this team and he mishandled the front office stuff. His firing was justified, sure he had some bad luck but he made some bad plays too. It happens.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#5 » by UnFadeable21 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:11 am

Calinks wrote:This happens every time. People hate a coach, he gets fired, we get a new coach and people are happy. Soon as things go bad, people start to compare the old coach to the new coach and talk about why the team messed up.

Thibs lost this team and he mishandled the front office stuff. His firing was justified, sure he had some bad luck but he made some bad plays too. It happens.

Did he really lose the locker room when Jeff Teague and Taj were his guys? He traded Jimmy and brought in Roco and Dario.

Towns has some issues with him but he signed the 5 year max at the start of the season.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,398

Post#6 » by AbeVigodaLive » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:09 am

Thibodeau's mishandling of the Butler fiasco made his firing inevitable... and justified.

And he's an ogre who made watching basketball less fun with the constant "ICE ICE!!" screams on the sidelines.

And him having the top executive job was obviously an issue. But, he's unquestionably a better, more proven coach than Ryan Saunders... even if imminently less likable.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#7 » by Jedzz » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:47 am

One thing I've yet to see from a Timberwolves coach is brilliance in decisions that we couldn't see a need for and the gonads to put those moves into action. More times than not there are numerous glaring items that most see as our down fall and it always seems stubbornly impassable.

Maybe Thibs did have more of those positive choices than I saw at the time mixed in with his stubborn items he would not fix about this use of players/roster we could all see. People made fun of his former Bulls reruns but he knew these players well apparently and knew how to win with them. I think it's really important to know your players and how best to use them, or not use them. We could also say he didn't know how best to use someone like Bjelica.

With Ryan I hear the right words all the time when he's talking about issues. But does it reach the floor, is the message transfering? If it does, can it be maintained? I think we saw the start of the season with better team defense. We heard them talk about it all short offseason. Each player mentioned it in preseason interviewss you could tell that was the message from coaches to players. Come season time the first game showed it. But how quickly did it evaporate? What does it take to get back to something so quickly lost? A talk at half break? A week? A month?

Then we had Thibs who was supposed to be a defensive mind and that never transferred to roster really.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#8 » by Note30 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:02 am

Why is this the question? Why are we always scrapping the bottom of the barrel?
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#9 » by theGreatRC » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:19 am

It was a mistake to let Thibs have so much control.

I loved that we made the playoffs, but I hated the Thibs era.

Butler was the reason we were so good, not Thibs
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#10 » by UnFadeable21 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:36 am

Read on Twitter

The magic is in the work - Tom Thibodeau

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#11 » by shangrila » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:42 am

I'd rather Ryan.

Well, honestly I'd rather neither but if I have to choose between them it's Ryan.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#12 » by Merc_Porto » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:37 am

Edit the poll to change the vote. I can't believe that by mistake i chose fxcking Thibs after what he did wrong to this franchise.

This is Rosas team, not Ryan.
With Thibs that was his team. A team ruined by the mistakes he did just to be a treamdill team and make a few playoffs appereances at best.

But still, the quality that Thibs had was by far, superior to this. To begin...

Jimmy Butler >>>>>>>>> nobody else.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#13 » by Sugarless » Sun Jan 3, 2021 10:13 am

I would rather have a dog sitting on the HC seat than to see Thibodeau again in that chair. It would bark less and it would definitely be cuter and generate a better environment inside the locker room.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#14 » by packforfreedom » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:53 pm

Rick Adelman was the best coach we've ever had. Such a fun team, such a nice offense.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#15 » by jpatrick » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:13 pm

Thibs biggest issue was he was a horrific GM. Not so much his coaching.

I’ve seen no evidence Saunders can coach.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,104

Post#16 » by m2002brian » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:01 pm

jpatrick wrote:Thibs biggest issue was he was a horrific GM. Not so much his coaching.

I’ve seen no evidence Saunders can coach.

This!

If we are only picking between Thibs as a coach V. Ryan as a coach. Thibs all day.

Thibs V. Rosas + Ryan? Even then Thibs had a plan and it was working. It was Glen who disallowed the trading of Wiggins back when Thibs was wanted to unload him.
I never liked the Rubio to Teague change at pg, but I can understand what he was trying to do. Teague just turned out to be awful.

Speaking of Teague turning out to be awful, but understating the idea. That’s why I give Rosas more of a pass on DLo than I do Ryan for the way he is utilizing the roster. Ryan needs to stick Ricky at Pg, Beasley at sg, Edwards at sf, naz at the pf (yes pf) and Ed at the C
Switching Naz and Ed as Naz travels better.

When Towns comes back it makes it easier for Naz to already be comfortable being the Pf.

DLo can be hopefully turn it around and be our Ginobli.
Score and create off the bench. Playing him next to Okogie should help shore up backcourt D and Okogie is a good cutter. put Culver at the 3 layman at the 4 and Vandy at the 5
BLUEGREENRED
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#17 » by KGdaBom » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:09 pm

packforfreedom wrote:Rick Adelman was the best coach we've ever had. Such a fun team, such a nice offense.

Our first ever coach Bill Musselman was our best coach ever and got more out of little talent than any coach ever.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#18 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:59 pm

packforfreedom wrote:Rick Adelman was the best coach we've ever had. Such a fun team, such a nice offense.

Agreed. Wish he had a better core than Love-Rubio-Pekovic when Rick was around, he really seemed like a difference-making coach.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,398

Post#19 » by AbeVigodaLive » Sun Jan 3, 2021 10:15 pm

mercgold3 wrote:Edit the poll to change the vote. I can't believe that by mistake i chose fxcking Thibs after what he did wrong to this franchise.

With Thibs that was his team. A team ruined by the mistakes he did just to be a treamdill team and make a few playoffs appereances at best.

To be fair, that's ok with me.

As pathetic as it is... the Wolves have been THAT bad... for THAT long... that being average is a pretty big deal.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#20 » by Merc_Porto » Sun Jan 3, 2021 10:20 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:Edit the poll to change the vote. I can't believe that by mistake i chose fxcking Thibs after what he did wrong to this franchise.

To be fair, that's ok with me.

As pathetic as it is... the Wolves have been THAT bad... for THAT long... that being average is a pretty big deal.

That's not ok when back in 2016 / 2017 we were the team with the best assets of the future in he entire league at time.
Even guys like Kyrie wanted to come here.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves