Can we ban political ads/recruitment?

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Can we ban political ads/recruitment? 

Post#1 » by rzzzzz » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:46 pm

I really appreciate how the folks on real GM stay focused on sports and don’t let themselves get dragged into the polarizing mayhem. And I realize that there needs to be ads to pay for our entertaining exchange. But today I see some provocative inducement aimed at baiting folks towards whatever political aim. Is there any control over who gets to push whatever on the site, or are we sort of stuck with whoever has the bread?
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,228

Re: Can we ban political ads/recruitment? 

Post#2 » by azcatz11 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:50 pm

I have been using AdBlocker for over a year now and don't see any ads. I made multiple posts in the feedback section saying how horrible all of the ads were and I couldn't even scroll thru the website without pop ups and no one ever replied to me so I was forced to use the AdBlocker when I would prefer not too and give the site revenue since it's free.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by rzzzzz » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:54 pm

azcatz11 wrote:I have been using AdBlocker for over a year now and don't see any ads. I made multiple posts in the feedback section saying how horrible all of the ads were and I couldn't even scroll thru the website without pop ups and no one ever replied to me so I was forced to use the AdBlocker when I would prefer not too and give the site revenue since it's free.

Yeah, recently moved from an aging laptop to a new tablet. I blocked on my old browser, but am generally more tolerant of late for, as you say, allowing favorite sites to recoup the expenses. Provided that the ads are just selling product, not discord.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,238

Post#4 » by BadWolf » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:56 pm

Here comes my typical response...
There are ads on RealGM?
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#5 » by macNcheese3 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:58 pm

azcatz11 wrote:I have been using AdBlocker for over a year now and don't see any ads. I made multiple posts in the feedback section saying how horrible all of the ads were and I couldn't even scroll thru the website without pop ups and no one ever replied to me so I was forced to use the AdBlocker when I would prefer not too and give the site revenue since it's free.

AdBlocker is essential!
shotsquatch
Sixth Man
And1: 3,527

Post#6 » by shotsquatch » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:58 pm

I have never seen an ad on RealGM. Like all modern internet users, I have an adblocker installed: https://adblockplus.org/

Advertisements are exploitative poison for your brain. I refuse to be tracked and manipulated online. The most dystopian advertisements are those for the US Army, which prey on directionless young men with promises of a bright future "serving the country". Gross. Pharmaceuticals are a close second.

Occasionally a website will prompt me to turn my adblocker off. In most cases, I leave the site instead and find a different one. However, it is easy to switch the adblocker on and off when necessary.

For content creators, I prefer to give financial support through Patreon or other digital tipping services rather than subject myself to advertisements on their platforms.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#7 » by basketballRob » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:59 pm

rzzzzz wrote:I really appreciate how the folks on real GM stay focused on sports and don’t let themselves get dragged into the polarizing mayhem. And I realize that there needs to be ads to pay for our entertaining exchange. But today I see some provocative inducement aimed at baiting folks towards whatever political aim. Is there any control over who gets to push whatever on the site, or are we sort of stuck with whoever has the bread?
Actually they talk almost as much politics as basketball, in the Current Affairs section.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
shotsquatch
Sixth Man
And1: 3,527

Post#8 » by shotsquatch » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:00 pm

rzzzzz wrote:I really appreciate how the folks on real GM stay focused on sports and don’t let themselves get dragged into the polarizing mayhem. And I realize that there needs to be ads to pay for our entertaining exchange. But today I see some provocative inducement aimed at baiting folks towards whatever political aim. Is there any control over who gets to push whatever on the site, or are we sort of stuck with whoever has the bread?

I'm curious, what sorts of political ads were you seeing? I turned my adblocker off for a moment and saw only ads for t shirts and athletic shoes.
Freighttrain
Analyst
And1: 7,080

Post#9 » by Freighttrain » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:05 pm

shotsquatch wrote:I have never seen an ad on RealGM. Like all modern internet users, I have an adblocker installed: https://adblockplus.org/

Advertisements are exploitative poison for your brain. I refused to be tracked and manipulated online. The most dystopian advertisements are those for the US Army, which prey on directionless young men with promises of a bright future "serving the country". Gross. Pharmaceuticals are a close second.

Occasionally a website will prompt me to turn my adblocker off. In most cases, I leave the site instead and find a different one. However, it is easy to switch the adblocker on and off when necessary.

For content creators, I prefer to give financial support through Patreon or other digital tipping services rather than subject myself to advertisements on their platforms.

Not everyone has the possibility or desire to pay for all the content that is out there. Having ads is a viable way to have another source of income for the content creator, whilst proving content for free and gaining a bigger audience. I would however have them personalised towards my own needs or benefits.
fianchetto
Starter
And1: 2,997

Post#10 » by fianchetto » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:10 pm

the ads here are terrible. I use an adblocker but when I'm on mobile there are so many redirects and ads it's terrible.

just because you can circumvent the terrible ads and redirects with an ad blocker doesn't mean that it's OK that they are there in the first place.
“If I told you that a flower bloomed in a dark room, would you trust it?”
Schiltzenberger
Junior
And1: 394

Post#11 » by Schiltzenberger » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:16 pm

Yeah, I use an adblocker too, I've been using adblock stuff, or variations of locking out ads, for nearly 20 years now.
I don't know what anyone is trying to sell me. :D
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#12 » by xdrta+ » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:37 pm

For anyone interested this is what The Markup finds on this site:

20 Ad trackers found on this site.
This is more than double the average of seven that we found on popular sites.

51 Third-party cookies were found.
This is more than the average of three that we found on popular sites.

This site allows Google Analytics to follow you across the internet.

Some of the ad-tech companies this website interacted with:

Adobe
Alphabet
Amazon
Criteo
IPONWEB
Lotame
MediaMath
Neustar
Magnite
Sovrn
TowerData
Verizon

Blacklight
https://themarkup.org/blacklight
fianchetto
Starter
And1: 2,997

Post#13 » by fianchetto » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:47 pm

xdrta+ wrote:For anyone interested this is what The Markup finds on this site:

Adobe
Alphabet
Amazon
Criteo
IPONWEB
Lotame
MediaMath
Neustar
Magnite
Sovrn
TowerData
Verizon

Blacklight

embarrasing.
“If I told you that a flower bloomed in a dark room, would you trust it?”
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,228

Post#14 » by azcatz11 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:54 pm

fianchetto wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:For anyone interested this is what The Markup finds on this site:

Adobe
Alphabet
Amazon
Criteo
IPONWEB
Lotame
MediaMath
Neustar
Magnite
Sovrn
TowerData
Verizon

Blacklight

embarrasing.

I can only assume they are generating a tremendous amount of revenue. I know I'm one person, but I assume others would be more than happy to turn the AdBlocker off when using this site since it's free if the pop ups weren't horrible.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by rzzzzz » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:08 pm

shotsquatch wrote:I'm curious, what sorts of political ads were you seeing? I turned my adblocker off for a moment and saw only ads for t shirts and athletic shoes.

Basically looking for money to fight wearing masks.

(Just added something called Ad Guard from the App Store. Hope this covers it. Apologies to this site for raising concern if my own basic initiative should have covered it. Though, again, I don’t want to rob it of a needed funding source.)
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,528

Post#16 » by HornetJail » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:37 pm

I'm willing to turn off adblockers for certain sites, but RealGM lost those privileges YEARS ago.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#17 » by Howard Mass » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:20 pm

Please post all ad Questions here.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=978414

Thanks!
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:

Return to Feedback and Suggestions