ImageImageImage

@NBC Sports & Wyc: Please Replace Scal

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

stretch
Analyst
And1: 223

@NBC Sports & Wyc: Please Replace Scal 

Post#1 » by stretch » Mon Jan 4, 2021 12:51 am

Look, I appreciate Brian Scalabrine as a former Celtic role player, the "white mamba", and a relatively high IQ player. He likes to talk. His post-game after Game 6 of the 08 Finals was epic. If we had won Game 7 in 2010, the encore would have been better. Scal once consulted with Danny's brain doctor, John Niednagel, to improve his game as a New Jersey Net. During the pandemic, he did a decent job of MC'ing the Classic Celtics games.

In spite of all this:

1) Scal is a terrible broadcaster and he is overly aggressive in the studio. One look at Twitter and various messaging boards brings to light that many other fans can't stand him either. Look at the way he mistreats Abby in the studio. This season, the post-game is virtually unbearable, but we have to stay tuned to catch Coach Stevens, Brown and Tatum.

2) Scal is not insightful with his discussions and takes, and he doesn't call the games from the audience's point of view. As a commentator, he seems to think he is way more discerning, intuitive and intelligent than he is. Maybe it's the fact that he took Tommy's seat. Tommy was one of the more substantive and insightful commentators in sports, who also bled green. Every time Tommy called a game, if you looked past the Celtic homerism, every other comment of his taught you something about the game.

3) Scal does not bleed green. Danny pointed that out too, as a big gap, during the Tommy memorial event: "Scal, you've got to pick a side." He tries too hard to feign impartiality and an unwillingness to glorify the rosy parts, like a big game from Jaylen. In the process, his entire instinct becomes cynical or negative.

As Celtics fans in the New England home market, over Wyc and Pag's tenure, we have put up with some abysmal talent at CSN/NBC Sports, from Gary Tanguay to Donny Marshall. Donny, along with the national TV crew at ESPN/ABC at that time, did their best to spoil the KG era for us.

Unmistakably NBC Sports Boston has trouble attracting and affording top tier talent.

Here are some proposals to improve the product:

a) Elevate Chris Forsberg and pair him with Abby. Forsberg is a proven commodity over a decade at ESPN as a writer. You actually learn something listening to him, which you unconditionally never do listening to Scal. At least A. Sherrod Blakely, hypothetical "Celtics Insider", ended up being replaced with Forsberg, which was good because we never learned anything new listening to Sherrod either.

b) If you have money, poach Antoine Walker from Fox Sports or Paul Pierce from ABC / ESPN to replace Tommy. They're not that great but they're considerably better than Scal.

c) See if you can get Cornbread from radio, or even Jackie MacMullan, to replace Scal on a regular basis, in the studio and alongside Mike.

d) Try to poach Sarah Kustok from the Brooklyn Nets. Mike absolutely loved calling one or two games with her. She's one of the more insightful color commentators across NBA commentary.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: @NBC Sports & Wyc: Please Replace Scal 

Post#2 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Jan 4, 2021 12:55 am

I think Scal is awesome. Everyone loved Tommy, but for the last ten years it hasn’t been for his insightfulness, IMO.

Scal does a fantastic job of breaking down the game, and he has great camaraderie with Mike.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#3 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:10 am

Please no on Antoine or Pierce. They're just as bad. Perk is atrocious too. Launch Scal and Perk into broadcast retirement immediately. Or at least can they stop having Perk as third wheel during the game broadcasts? Have him before and after the games all you want. These networks will hire any former athlete who wants the job but almost all of them are terrible. I feel like I can name all the good former player color commentators on one hand, at least of recent retirees. Richard Jefferson is really good, and plenty of older guys like Frazier in New York; Maxwell I like a lot but only when he's with someone like Grande. Wilkins in Atlanta is really good, Clyde Drexler in Houston. All the national guys are useless, though.

It's a really hard job, being able to talk on-and-off for 2.5-3 hours. Too often you end up with Chris Webber or Reggie Miller who just straight up won't shut the **** up or say anything amusing or insightful. You have to be at least one of those, or what is the point? Scal is definitely neither. But hey, I know some people like him.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Dangit
Starter
And1: 1,927

Post#4 » by Dangit » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:10 am

Scal is excellent in my opinion...
Postby YouthMovement on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:09 pm

im 19 and i can say paul pierce ruined my childhood
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#5 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:15 am

I actually enjoyed scal on Sirius radio and I loved him filling in for Tommy but I do kind of agree, every night is a bit much.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#6 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:16 am

Scal I’ll get used to tho I guess but perk gotta go
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#7 » by 31to6 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:22 am

Like Scal during games. His “relationship” with Abby is painful. I’m not THAT old but they sound like kids.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#8 » by captain green » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:29 am

I don't mind scal so... but I love Abby, if he is being rude to her I haven't noticed it but will keep an eye out for it in the future though
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#9 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:50 am

I personally think elevating Cedric Maxwell to the TV booth might be the best move
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#10 » by jfs1000d » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:50 am

Absolutely 100% disagree.

Live Scal, is really good analysis and he has chemistry with Gorman and the team.

I like Abby and Perk in studio and Gorman And scal remote. You gotta remember they are doing remote broadcasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CeltsFlow
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,716

Post#11 » by CeltsFlow » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:57 am

Yeah, surprised this hasn't been brought up sooner, the shine has kinda worn off Scal now that he's doing commentary every night, but really there's not much of a choice. Heard about the Abby dilemma, but haven't caught post game for a while so can't comment on that. Definitely has that annoying impartiality vibe to him, kinda like Mark Jones now that he does games for the Kings.

Fwiw, I also think Kustok would be an amazing fit with Mike, but don't think Brooklyn's letting her go anytime soon.
Froob wrote:SVG is like JVG from an alternate reality where JVG is interested in talking about the game

Kabookalu wrote:[Dillon] Brooks has a mediocre driving game, but insists that he's prime Manu Ginobili.

It's time to win basketball games
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#12 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jan 4, 2021 2:41 am

Scal is ... competent.

I just checked out a bit of tape on Waltah, who of course has fallen on hard times. He didn't sound all that articulate even when things were going well, which is disappointing; I was hoping for some pizzazz because of his music-performer side.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#13 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:09 am

Scal is the best commentator Mike's had to work with in the past 10 years. He's phenomenal.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,025

Post#14 » by Bad-Thoma » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:15 am

I don't have a problem with Scal's announcing. He's no Tommy, but there was only one Tommy. I also like the short stints of Perk for the crazy homer moments, he's kind of got that Barkley thing going where I roll my eyes at some of the stuff he says but still enjoy him for being anything but your generic sports commentator.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#15 » by GregB » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:31 am

Scal is definitely a dick during post game. But he’s a solid commentator. He’s not perfect.

But I would rather watch him than Chris Forsberg only speak out of one side of his mouth.

C'mon, let's be respectful on this forum. That's in very poor taste. Just google his history if you don't know.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#16 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:43 am

Scal gets replaced when Mike hangs up his headset. Grande/Max will then get promoted to TV.

I think Doc Rivers would be great to have, but he’s made so much money from coaching that I doubt he’d want to do TV again.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#17 » by 3D Chess » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:52 am

GregB wrote:Scal is definitely a dick during post game. But he’s a solid commentator. He’s not perfect.

But I would rather watch him than Chris Forsberg only speak out of one side of his mouth like a stroke victim.

Dude...

https://medium.com/@chrisforsberg_/i-talk-funny-but-yo-im-raising-money-b17aa4a24871
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#18 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:34 am

GregB wrote:Scal is definitely a dick during post game. But he’s a solid commentator. He’s not perfect.

But I would rather watch him than Chris Forsberg only speak out of one side of his mouth like a stroke victim.

Jesus Christ man
C-West
Bench Warmer
And1: 491

Post#19 » by C-West » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:30 am

I love Scal and I hope he stays. He’s smart, funny and modern, but still has a sense of history and respect. Not sure what else I could ask for.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,083

Post#20 » by fallguy » Mon Jan 4, 2021 6:12 am

Post was dealt with. Be better than that.

Return to Boston Celtics