ImageImageImage

Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#181 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jan 2, 2021 4:52 pm

I think I recall Doc speaking often about Harris making quicker decisions with the ball. So it appears to have been a point of emphasis that was carried out. Good stuff.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#182 » by 76ciology » Sat Jan 2, 2021 5:33 pm

Ahhh.. another garbage team again tonight against the Hornets.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#183 » by Black Mage » Sat Jan 2, 2021 6:50 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I think I recall Doc speaking often about Harris making quicker decisions with the ball. So it appears to have been a point of emphasis that was carried out. Good stuff.

It is nice to see some points of emphasis actually being achieved by this team.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#184 » by 76ciology » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:42 pm

Why is Ben’s FG% and pts down?

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant

Post#185 » by Black Mage » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:12 pm

76ciology wrote:Why is Ben’s FG% and pts down?

Read on Twitter

I'd say small sample size so far, but that's still not a great to be on that list when you're only offensive skill is supposed to be the ability to drive and score at the rim.
6ers83
Senior
And1: 195

Post#186 » by 6ers83 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 10:34 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
6ers83 wrote:
Black Mage wrote:
Yeah that's concerning, we're not even in the top 5 for net. Yes Cavs game certainly was a blip, but didn't the Lakers, Bucks and other teams ahead of us also have blip games?

Also, our defense is likely to drop as we've feasted on some inept offenses. Schedule about to escalate rapidly.

This like most analytics means nothing it’s just a stat for non-athletic people that never played the game. Lol

I’ll give the analytics nerds credit though - they have convinced very smart people in the NBA that their numbers actually matter. Sad but unfortunately true.

A classic ad hominem attack from someone who struggles to comprehend analytics. You really didn’t explain why analytics are ineffective, but focus on declaring anyone who uses them “nerds” or “unathletic.” Frankly, I really wouldn’t care if my GM lacked athleticism, as long as he were able to find competitive advantages because he had the capacity to comprehend a broader field of available data.

On this forum, we are not going with the 4th grade debate strategy of calling someone a “nerd” because they are smart enough to understand, or interested enough to discuss, analytics. If you think analytics are a waste, then feel free to discuss why you disagree with the content presented in the post. However, if you are intellectually insecure and want to limit the debate to concepts that you are able to comprehend by insulting posters who present analytics based concepts, then this forum isn’t the place for you.

Michael Jordan is plenty athletic, but I’d certainly take the co-founder of the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference to run my team.

Omg how in the world did they EVER tell in the 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90s how good a player was before the “great” analytical minds of today. Lol

When we played pick up in the park at 12 and had captains pick teams it usually went in the same order every game. Best players were taken first to worst taken last. How in the world did we EVER KNOW this without an analytical Dept?? Lol
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#187 » by sixers hoops » Sat Jan 2, 2021 10:49 pm

6ers83 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
6ers83 wrote:
This like most analytics means nothing it’s just a stat for non-athletic people that never played the game. Lol

I’ll give the analytics nerds credit though - they have convinced very smart people in the NBA that their numbers actually matter. Sad but unfortunately true.

A classic ad hominem attack from someone who struggles to comprehend analytics. You really didn’t explain why analytics are ineffective, but focus on declaring anyone who uses them “nerds” or “unathletic.” Frankly, I really wouldn’t care if my GM lacked athleticism, as long as he were able to find competitive advantages because he had the capacity to comprehend a broader field of available data.

On this forum, we are not going with the 4th grade debate strategy of calling someone a “nerd” because they are smart enough to understand, or interested enough to discuss, analytics. If you think analytics are a waste, then feel free to discuss why you disagree with the content presented in the post. However, if you are intellectually insecure and want to limit the debate to concepts that you are able to comprehend by insulting posters who present analytics based concepts, then this forum isn’t the place for you.

Michael Jordan is plenty athletic, but I’d certainly take the co-founder of the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference to run my team.

Omg how in the world did they EVER tell in the 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90s how good a player was before the “great” analytical minds of today. Lol

When we played pick up in the park at 12 and had captains pick teams it usually went in the same order every game. Best players were taken first to worst taken last. How in the world did we EVER KNOW this without an analytical Dept?? Lol

I think reducing this debate to picking two teams in the park is in your best interest lol
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#188 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jan 3, 2021 12:06 am

I have been running RPM regressions on my pickup games and I have not lost a single game on 5 years.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#189 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jan 3, 2021 12:28 am

Sixerscan wrote:I have been running RPM regressions on my pickup games and I have not lost a single game on 5 years.

To the contrary, I don’t think like that. I even got rid of my air conditioner since they got through the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s without it. If people were able to manage without something before it was created, then I like to think it will never have a valid use and is therefore useless.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#190 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:36 am

Thought this was good.

Read on Twitter
JordanMars
Bench Warmer
And1: 161

Post#191 » by JordanMars » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:50 am

I wonder if Morey considers a deal for Kyle Lowry at some point if Toronto continues to struggle. He’s on an expiring deal, but I find it likely that the North Philly native would like to finish his career here.
Nerlens Noel = 2014-2015 rookie of the year
76ciology
RealGM

Post#192 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:11 am

Black Mage wrote:
76ciology wrote:Why is Ben’s FG% and pts down?

Read on Twitter

I'd say small sample size so far, but that's still not a great to be on that list when you're only offensive skill is supposed to be the ability to drive and score at the rim.

I believe its because they were running heavy volume of snug PnR with Embiid for like the first 3 games, which they seem to run less right now.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#193 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:12 am

JordanMars wrote:I wonder if Morey considers a deal for Kyle Lowry at some point if Toronto continues to struggle. He’s on an expiring deal, but I find it likely that the North Philly native would like to finish his career here.

Sign him to a minimum next season then
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#194 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:38 am

JordanMars wrote:I wonder if Morey considers a deal for Kyle Lowry at some point if Toronto continues to struggle. He’s on an expiring deal, but I find it likely that the North Philly native would like to finish his career here.

I think Lowry will have some say in it, but I think if Toronto is trending toward a rebuild, he and the team agrees to move him to a contender.

Obviously it wouldn’t be a package involving Ben, and I don’t see them taking Tobias.

I wouldn’t move Shake, and prob wouldn’t offer Maxey either. Not worth it it for a rental.

I’d prob offer our first or Thybulle, but not sure how we match the salaries up. Either way, I’m not seeing Morey going to hard after a rental.

If we could get it done, it prob bumps Curry out of starting and Maxey out of the rotation. Worth it if the price is reasonable tho.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant

Post#195 » by Black Mage » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:38 pm

sixers hoops wrote:

I think Lowry will have some say in it, but I think if Toronto is trending toward a rebuild, he and the team agrees to move him to a contender.

Obviously it wouldn’t be a package involving Ben, and I don’t see them taking Tobias.

I wouldn’t move Shake, and prob wouldn’t offer Maxey either. Not worth it it for a rental.

I’d prob offer our first or Thybulle, but not sure how we match the salaries up. Either way, I’m not seeing Morey going to hard after a rental.

If we could get it done, it prob bumps Curry out of starting and Maxey out of the rotation. Worth it if the price is reasonable tho.

Money wise any deal would have to include Danny and Scott with Matisse. Even with those three, we'd have to move another 1.6 million to make it work. A move for Lowry would definitely require some heavy lifting or ancillary trades.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#196 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:35 pm

Black Mage wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Money wise any deal would have to include Danny and Scott with Matisse. Even with those three, we'd have to move another 1.6 million to make it work. A move for Lowry would definitely require some heavy lifting or ancillary trades.

The Sixers are somewhat low on tradable assets. The list is Embiid, Simmons, Shake, Maxey, Thybulle, Curry has some value, two firsts they can trade over the next five years, and some second round prospects.

They are not trading Embiid, and Ben is only on the table if they are acquiring another star, so Shake, Maxey, and our two firsts have to be valued highly by our management team. Elton and Colangelo used a lot of resources to get Markell and Tobias in here, so I don’t know that we are really in a position to give a first in a trade for a rental.

Then on top of that, as you mention, we have to gut the team a little to get the salaries to match.

If Lowry’s price involves a first, I think we have to sit this one out.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#197 » by 76ciology » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:30 am

sixers hoops wrote:Thought this was good.

Read on Twitter

BC had a lot of mistakes and I’m not saying he’s good or better than any of our GMs (i dont want to argue with anyone). But I thought he did a good job on that 2017-2018 team and that is kind of the team we’re trying to emulate this season.

While Brand constructed 2 different built for a contender for 2 seasons. He also made his mistakes and is far from perfect. Unless Tobi continues is upward trajectory and becomes Kawhi 2.0 :lol:

On paper, this team is in a much better place than what this team was to end the 2019-2020 season. But this team isn’t a contender nor as talented as our teams in the last two seasons, while is just following the blue print but with better upgrades of that 2017-2018 team (a much better version of that team).

Shades of gray. Not black and white.
Give credit where credit is due.
HardenToSixers
Rookie
And1: 646

Post#198 » by HardenToSixers » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:29 pm

76ciology wrote:

Read on Twitter

BC had a lot of mistakes and I’m not saying he’s good or better than any of our GMs (i dont want to argue with anyone). But I thought he did a good job on that 2017-2018 team and that is kind of the team we’re trying to emulate this season.

While Brand constructed 2 different built for a contender for 2 seasons. He also made his mistakes and is far from perfect. Unless Tobi continues is upward trajectory and becomes Kawhi 2.0 :lol:

On paper, this team is in a much better place than what this team was to end the 2019-2020 season. But this team isn’t a contender nor as talented as our teams in the last two seasons, while is just following the blue print but with better upgrades of that 2017-2018 team (a much better version of that team).

He signed JJ Redick to an above market one year deal and used the waiver market. Whoopty frickin doo.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#199 » by zaz102 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:33 pm

HardenToSixers wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Read on Twitter

While Brand constructed 2 different built for a contender for 2 seasons. He also made his mistakes and is far from perfect. Unless Tobi continues is upward trajectory and becomes Kawhi 2.0

He signed JJ Redick to an above market one year deal and used the waiver market. Whoopty frickin doo.
Yeah. Also factor in all the draft capital they had and what is spent on (and what it was spent on) vs. what Morey has to work with. Its apples and oranges really.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#200 » by 76ciology » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:44 pm

Anyway, I rate Morey as way better than our past 3 GMs.

Morey has Hinkie’s creativeness for value generation, he has Colangelo’s knowledge for basketball trends and EB’s star hunting talent. But at the same time he is also HUMAN like all three so he is not perfect and will make mistakes.

If not for failures of our past coaches and past GMs, we wouldn’t had hired Morey and Doc.

It’s OK to make mistakes as long as you learn from them and rise from it.

“ The obstacle in the path becomes the path. Never forget, within every obstacle is an opportunity to improve our condition.” - Ryan Holiday,

Return to Philadelphia 76ers