ImageImageImage

Come up with a Blake trade!

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,303

Re: Come up with a Blake trade! 

Post#21 » by Moses ShamMoses » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:15 pm

vege wrote:Buy him out so he can join whatever team he'd like. There is absolutely no realistic trade.

I'd totally buy him out if he would waive his player option for next year. Otherwise, I think we hold on and hope he looks better at the trade deadline. The more time that passes the more palatable his contract becomes assuming he doesn't regress. At the trade deadline, he will only have 1.25 seasons left on his deal.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#22 » by 440BB » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:29 pm

I don't get the sense that Blake is itching to get to a contender enough to sacrifice these paydays. He may just be a good team first guy or he may realize his knees won't let him play much longer. I wonder if the Pistons have insurance for the possibility the next injury is the last straw.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#23 » by vege » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:03 am

Moses ShamMoses wrote:
vege wrote:Buy him out so he can join whatever team he'd like. There is absolutely no realistic trade.

I'd totally buy him out if he would waive his player option for next year. Otherwise, I think we hold on and hope he looks better at the trade deadline. The more time that passes the more palatable his contract becomes assuming he doesn't regress. At the trade deadline, he will only have 1.25 seasons left on his deal.

He is not leaving all that money on the table.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#24 » by DCintheD » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:35 pm

Would Charlotte consider trading Rozier and Zeller for Blake?
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#25 » by ByeByeDre » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:51 pm

DCintheD wrote:Would Charlotte consider trading Rozier and Zeller for Blake?

Not with Blake’s player option looming.... maybe next year
DCintheD
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by DCintheD » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:56 pm

ByeByeDre wrote:

I'd respect the **** out of him if he miraculously turns it down for the good of this franchise. At the same time I won’t hold it against him once he inevitably exercises it. That’s a **** of free money
ByeByeDre
Rookie

Post#27 » by ByeByeDre » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:10 pm

DCintheD wrote:
ByeByeDre wrote:

I'd respect the **** out of him if he miraculously turns it down for the good of this franchise. At the same time I won’t hold it against him once he inevitably exercises it. That’s a **** of free money

Totally agreed. The Pistons could help prop his stats up so maybe someone offers him a three year deal that makes it worth it to opt out. Two problems though - $39 million is a huge nut to crack, and the Pistons would be propping up his stats at the expense of giving their youth more minutes. Which takes me back to my original thought regarding the Pistons - Weaver is nuts.
DCintheD
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by DCintheD » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:43 pm

ByeByeDre wrote:
DCintheD wrote:
ByeByeDre wrote:

Totally agreed. The Pistons could help prop his stats up so maybe someone offers him a three year deal that makes it worth it to opt out. Two problems though - $39 million is a huge nut to crack, and the Pistons would be propping up his stats at the expense of giving their youth more minutes.

Knicks have cap space this summer :pray:
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#29 » by ComboGuardCity » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:38 pm

Blake And Rose for Bagley, Joseph, and Barnes
ByeByeDre
Rookie

Post#30 » by ByeByeDre » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:50 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:Blake And Rose for Bagley, Joseph, and Barnes

Sacramento’s pretty dumb, but I’m not sure they are that dumb. Maybe we could throw Hayes in and get Halliburton too? :D
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#31 » by BJK1 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:56 am

It’s obvious to everyone. But still, ouch:

Read on Twitter
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#32 » by Han Solo » Mon Jan 4, 2021 2:52 am

I think Blake would do well with Portland. Just don’t know how we could get him there
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#33 » by Manocad » Mon Jan 4, 2021 2:54 am

As every game goes by it looks like two things become more and more certain--no one is trading for Blake meaning there is no way in hell he opts out. Accept that he's stuck here until he has value as an expiring contract next year. And given what he's earned in his career my guess is that if his capabilities continue to erode he's only going to get offered a role he won't want, and he'll just retire.
ByeByeDre
Rookie

Post#34 » by ByeByeDre » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:21 am

BJK1 wrote:It’s obvious to everyone. But still, ouch:

Read on Twitter

Hopefully Smart bagging on him is another nail in the coffin.

Maybe Blake finds love in SoCal - someone making more than him? Seems like he’s trying.....
Clav
Sixth Man
And1: 1,473

Post#35 » by Clav » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:07 am

https://tradenba.com/trades/frqBIOLZK

OKC in -
Blake Griffin (36/5M/2yr)
Draft pick ?

DET in -
George Hill (9.5/2yr)
Trevor Ariza (12.8M/1yr)
Darius Miirer (7M/1yr)

probably have to attach draft compensation though. Weaver and Presti are buddies / OKC-born Griffin goes home for two-years pay-day/swan song.

DET cleans out bad contract for tradeable assets / mentor to Hayes. Though I'm not sure if either team would do it...

Possible 3-team deal to maybe add more positive wing players ?

https://tradenba.com/trades/blhd_BuQs

OKC in
Kyle Anderson (9.5M/2yr)
picks

DET in
George Hill (9.5/2yr)
Kenrich Williams (3M/3yr)
Justice Winslow (13M/2yr)

MEM in
Trevor Ariza (12.8M/1yr)
Darius Miller (7M/1yr)
Justin Jackson (5M/1yr)
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
joeposh
Pro Prospect
And1: 413

Post#36 » by joeposh » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:12 am

Manocad wrote:As every game goes by it looks like two things become more and more certain--no one is trading for Blake meaning there is no way in hell he opts out. Accept that he's stuck here until he has value as an expiring contract next year. And given what he's earned in his career my guess is that if his capabilities continue to erode he's only going to get offered a role he won't want, and he'll just retire.

This is where I'm at too. We might get something of value for Rose this year, but we're probably riding things out with Blake. That's not necessarily a bad thing as his contract aligns nicely with our projected rebuild should the tank go to plan this year, but I can't see a sane team taking on his contract without wanting to give another toxic contract back, likely with more years on it. So we likely keep him through next season. This was always the worry with taking on his deal.

Beyond that, Blake doesn't need basketball at this point. He has enough connections to other industries that he can probably go try his hand at acting and other fields, so I doubt he'll be grinding it out long after his time in Detroit unless there's a clear shot at a ring.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#37 » by vege » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:49 am

Clav wrote:https://tradenba.com/trades/frqBIOLZK

OKC in -
Draft pick ?

DET in -
George Hill (9.5/2yr)
Trevor Ariza (12.8M/1yr)
Darius Miirer (7M/1yr)

probably have to attach draft compensation though. Weaver and Presti are buddies / OKC-born Griffin goes home for two-years pay-day/swan song.

DET cleans out bad contract for tradeable assets / mentor to Hayes. Though I'm not sure if either team would do it...

Possible 3-team deal to maybe add more positive wing players ?

https://tradenba.com/trades/blhd_BuQs

OKC in
Kyle Anderson (9.5M/2yr)
picks

DET in
George Hill (9.5/2yr)
Kenrich Williams (3M/3yr)
Justice Winslow (13M/2yr)

MEM in
Trevor Ariza (12.8M/1yr)
Darius Miller (7M/1yr)
Justin Jackson (5M/1yr)

Rebuinding teams don't give up young talent or picks to dump players in 2 years contracts dude.
davidvolumes
Junior
And1: 154

Post#38 » by davidvolumes » Mon Jan 4, 2021 9:22 am

If Troy Weaver can trade Blake Griffin and that contract at this stage of his career without giving up a number one unprotected pick he should be named General manager of the century
DCintheD
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by DCintheD » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:31 pm

Watching him play was brutal yesterday. At this point it’s best to shut him down until a buyout can be agreed upon - which probably won’t be until at least one year from now. No need to trade him if we’re giving up assets or taking on additional years of salary. The goal is the find a way for him not to interfere in the youth development.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,303

Post#40 » by Moses ShamMoses » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:43 pm

DCintheD wrote:Watching him play was brutal yesterday. At this point it’s best to shut him down until a buyout can be agreed upon - which probably won’t be until at least one year from now. No need to trade him if we’re giving up assets or taking on additional years of salary. The goal is the find a way for him not to interfere in the youth development.

I think we need to be patient and hope he turns things around. Blake has numerous factors working against him like the condensed camp, shorter preseason, coming off injury, etc. Even Derrick Rose looks pretty bad right now and he admitted the short camp/preseason has caused him some issues getting into game shape. I guess I don't want to count out Blake after a handful of games since he looks healthy just tentative and slower. Maybe he is just pacing himself and will ramp up soon?

I understand he is taking minutes from our other guys but we really need to be a little more patient and see how this plays out. If we are both patient and lucky we might find ourselves able to trade him at the deadline for expiring deals.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'

Return to Detroit Pistons