ImageImageImage

@NBC Sports & Wyc: Please Replace Scal

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,654

Re: @NBC Sports & Wyc: Please Replace Scal 

Post#21 » by grindtime22 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 6:50 am

I don't really watch pre or post game so I have no opinion on that. Scal is pretty good during the games. He isn't perfect, but he is better than the vast majority of commentators. There are a few good ones around the league, but you can count that number on one hand. Scal is one of the good ones.

On the other hand, Perk is like nails on a chalkboard for me. There are a lot of regional broadcast teams that I don't like. Despite that, I flip to the other team's broadcast every time they bring Perk on. I just can't take it anymore.
Roland2000
Sophomore
And1: 359

Post#22 » by Roland2000 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:51 am

Scal has gotten better over the years and I think that currently he is doing fine. I also don't watch the post game stuff so I have no idea about the Abby thing.

These things take years. He perhaps could relax a bit and let some more "personality" come out.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#23 » by ParticleMan » Mon Jan 4, 2021 9:02 am

i like scal. is he tommy? no, but tommy wasn't tommy the last few years either. scal is pretty average, but it's not an easy job, and there are a lot of guys who would absolutely suck at it. perk man, he is painful to listen to. pierce i don't think is that insightful, much as i love the guy.

i never watch the scal-abby postgame but if that's the issue then cancel it. very few people would care. i do like the idea of integrating forsberg more, he's pretty insightful but in a cerebral way so i don't know if he would really work as a color guy. try him in perk's role.
Roland2000
Sophomore
And1: 359

Post#24 » by Roland2000 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 9:20 am

Just want to add something about what Tommy brought to the table. He had an old-school "don't give a F" side of him. He wasn't trying to always be "under control". He would let emotions take hold of him and just roll with it. He wasn't afraid. He was bold and harsh with a voice like a Mack Truck.

I wish they could find somebody with that sort of feel again. Maybe it is because I am a bit older myself and I remember when "men were men" and there wasn't so much fear of hurt feelings and such. I think of how Red Auerbach used to talk....Very similar to Tommy. No sugar coating. No softening of the edges.

I would like Scal to occasionally feel secure enough to tell us "how he really feels". Get a bit of locker room atmosphere, hanging out with the guys, kind of thing happening. That's the ingredient that I think is a bit missing.
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#25 » by TheOGJabroni » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:59 pm

I definitely get what you're saying about Scal. I noticed a change last year with Draper. He just seemed to become a bully. I was hoping it would change with Abby but instead it's almost like he's flexing, challenging her on BBIQ. It's super condescending to me. Having said that, I hope they can work out the kinks because I like him in the booth & I think we're spoiled for options compared to other broadcasts.
dans1230
Rookie
And1: 1,141

Post#26 » by dans1230 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 2:13 pm

Scal broadcasts the game from the perspective of a player where Tommy did it from the perspective of a coach and fan. Scal isnt horrible, i find him insightful about playcalling and schemes. I get a bit triggered when i hear him talking about working out players, that shine will rub off because he was only in that position for a couple years. Not sure who youd replace him with.
I enjoy hearing him and Perk talking stories of when they played, although id probably take anyone other than Perk from those teams. I find Perk to be the weak link there, it certainly isnt Abby, shes needs to stay right where she is.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Post#27 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Mon Jan 4, 2021 2:14 pm

I like Scal 90% of the time but he has his moments when he "argues" with Abby and it is a bit weird/uncomfortable. I enjoy him as an analyst and how he breaks down the game. Half the problem is he is replacing Tommy, who was a complete legend, didn't pull punches, said crazy random things (All of Australia, comparing Stiemsma to Russell) and was a bias as the come and was doing this for 40 years.

Tough act to follow for Scal.
*Insert witty signature here.*
50yrceltsfan
Sophomore
And1: 233

Post#28 » by 50yrceltsfan » Mon Jan 4, 2021 2:16 pm

The OP is so on the money, great post. Someone said Scal has gotten better, but it's the opposite. I loved him his first few years, particularly in-game. There would be a call or a play and he'd either immediately get it right when commenting as the replay ran, or he'd admit after seeing the replay what really happened. Very insightful and honest, and always with enthusiasm. Now he seems disinterested, never gives the Celtics the benefit of a 50-50 call, and not pleasant to listen to. How he changed so dramatically I'm not sure.

His condescension toward Abby is unforgivable, always takes the opposite POV, never goes with her. And his take is usually not right, I agree more with hers in most cases.

I think he's off his meds and needs to get back on them.
timpiker
Senior
And1: 428

Post#29 » by timpiker » Mon Jan 4, 2021 2:33 pm

I don't watch anything but the games and I like Scal except I think he talks too much. Scal's #1 attribute is that he's not Donny Marshall.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#30 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 2:41 pm

I don’t get postgame what’s the “relationship” stuff with Abby about
FeedReed
Starter
And1: 839

Post#31 » by FeedReed » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:18 pm

scal is ok but he doesn’t provide the fun feel good feeling tommy did. i loved that tommy was a homer, the reason i loved it is because i knew he was doing it for the good of the broadcast... a lot of people probably took it literally. even though he was subjective, he always gave credit to opposing players when they were doing well. tommy announcing reminds me of when vince mcmahon used to do play by play in wwf. so passionate and enthusiastic, it makes you more invested and care more.
famadihana
Junior
And1: 78

Post#32 » by famadihana » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:22 pm

It’s not just Abby. Scal was also a jerk to Kyle Draper consistently.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,485

Post#33 » by canman1971 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 6:00 pm

Bottom line is Scal tries too hard. He's a product of this "hey I talk the loudest to be relevant" world. It's not a generation thing, it is society. Just like politics and news media. Yell, yell, yell and be aggressive.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,219

Post#34 » by TheSheriff » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:10 pm

Meh. I don’t watch the postgame.

He is fine as a commentator. He is not amazingly insightful. He is not particularly fun. There are few guys that have those attributes and they get the national broadcasting jobs.
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#35 » by celtics543 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:38 pm

I think Scal's good during the game.

The postgame I'm of two minds. I like Abby, she does a great job but the argument about Tatum taking a step back 28 footer as a good shot I"m 100% on Scal's side. That's a bad shot. It just is. Abby and Chris defend it like it's some great shot because it's Tatum taking it and Scal is just not having it. He might go about it it a little forcefully but he's always throwing a laugh in too. I'm assuming that's the relationship issue. Scal has a much higher bbiq than Abby and he's correct in what he's saying. She's really great at what her job is and I love that she got rehired but when she's arguing with Scal over what the best play is with 10 seconds left and defending it by saying that her son would like imitating Tatum taking step back 28 footers it's just an awful argument.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#36 » by jfs1000d » Mon Jan 4, 2021 9:03 pm

GregB wrote:Scal is definitely a dick during post game. But he’s a solid commentator. He’s not perfect.

But I would rather watch him than Chris Forsberg only speak out of one side of his mouth like a stroke victim.

C'mon, let's be respectful on this forum. That's in very poor taste. Just google his history if you don't know.

Foresberg as good a guy as they come. Screw this comment. Guy works hard, is talented and has no hearing on one ear. That is why he talks like that.

He is articulate and knowledgeable. Stop being so superficial. Guy is terrific, if not underused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#37 » by GregB » Mon Jan 4, 2021 9:26 pm

3D Chess wrote:
GregB wrote:Scal is definitely a dick during post game. But he’s a solid commentator. He’s not perfect.

But I would rather watch him than Chris Forsberg only speak out of one side of his mouth like a stroke victim.

Dude...

https://medium.com/@chrisforsberg_/i-talk-funny-but-yo-im-raising-money-b17aa4a24871

Alright my bad. I apologize if I offended anyone. Kudos to him for working through it to have a solid career.

But I still find it distracting whenever I watch him.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#38 » by GregB » Mon Jan 4, 2021 9:34 pm

famadihana wrote:It’s not just Abby. Scal was also a jerk to Kyle Draper consistently.

I didn't mind that as much. Kyle was always asking for it with his over the top takes.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 9,931

Post#39 » by fallguy » Mon Jan 4, 2021 9:52 pm

jfs1000d wrote:

C'mon, let's be respectful on this forum. That's in very poor taste. Just google his history if you don't know.

Foresberg as good a guy as they come. Screw this comment. Guy works hard, is talented and has no hearing on one ear. That is why he talks like that.

He is articulate and knowledgeable. Stop being so superficial. Guy is terrific, if not underused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the best people in the business. I know first hand.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#40 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Jan 4, 2021 10:08 pm

I think Scal is being mean to Abby on the air to hide the fact that he and Abby have probably bumped uglies at some point. Long road trip, away from home, had a few drinks with a coworker, you know how it goes.

Return to Boston Celtics