OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,148

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1461 » by KidA24 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:57 am

Dearest f=21,

Thanks for helping to keep me sane during 2020.

Happy New Year and Let's Go Bucks.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,833

Post#1462 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri Jan 1, 2021 1:05 am

MissKhriddleton wrote:Anybody get their groceries delivered from Amazon specifically meat and produce? I'm in quarantine and am starting to run out of food.

Pick n save has pick up where you leave your trunk open and they load it at no charge with normal prices. Feel instacart and others jack prices up.

The few times I tried doing I tried tipping and super awkward. Tried handing it to them and it was a big nono, then tried leave it on the trunk. Even left venmo name saying message me for a tip lol. Felt bad for those people, especially at the beginning when we had no idea what was going on and they were probably making half of whatever the cares act unemployment pay was at the time.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,590

Post#1463 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jan 1, 2021 2:57 am

Ciara, a successful singer in her own right who is also married to Russell **** Wilson, talking to two teachers who just explained what it's like to go through 2020:

"I can very much so relate to what you're going through."

:lol: Happy New Year, y'all.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,618

Post#1464 » by Gianstoppable » Tue Jan 5, 2021 12:22 am

Starting to bald at 32. I knew it would happen with genetics and it hasn't gotten bad yet but man, I'm gonna look weird as hell in 5 years that said I'm going to start working out every day as my new years resolution and I have done awesome the last 3 weeks. I figure better health plus my wife would probably rather look at a toned bald guy than a skinny fat bald guy
#FreeChuckDiesel
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#1465 » by PANDEMONEUM » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:29 am

i am a Realtor with First Weber.
if anyone is looking to buy or sell,
or just information,
let me know.
mke city, mke county and surrounding areas.

thanks.
MrHoneycutt
Starter
And1: 2,443

Post#1466 » by MrHoneycutt » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:56 am

Gianstoppable wrote:Starting to bald at 32. I knew it would happen with genetics and it hasn't gotten bad yet but man, I'm gonna look weird as hell in 5 years that said I'm going to start working out every day as my new years resolution and I have done awesome the last 3 weeks. I figure better health plus my wife would probably rather look at a toned bald guy than a skinny fat bald guy

I feel you, man. I'm 35 and started noticing some thinning on my crown a few years ago, and honestly couldn't handle it. A bad combination of vanity and the existential dread of one's mortality playing out on top of their head for all to see, like some kind of corporeal looking glass. Men don't really get much of a chance to commiserate about this with one another, which is a shame because it can have a real impact on your self-image. I've gone full minoxidil and finasteride since then, and they seem to be steadying the ship thus far.

That's awesome about the working out, and it definitely helps the old self-confidence too. Plus, what wife worth her salt wouldn't welcome a good rogering from a trim, muscular man no matter the state of his follicular affairs? I look up to you, friend. Lead the way.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,618

Post#1467 » by Gianstoppable » Tue Jan 5, 2021 1:00 pm

MrHoneycutt wrote:
Gianstoppable wrote:Starting to bald at 32. I knew it would happen with genetics and it hasn't gotten bad yet but man, I'm gonna look weird as hell in 5 years that said I'm going to start working out every day as my new years resolution and I have done awesome the last 3 weeks. I figure better health plus my wife would probably rather look at a toned bald guy than a skinny fat bald guy

I feel you, man. I'm 35 and started noticing some thinning on my crown a few years ago, and honestly couldn't handle it. A bad combination of vanity and the existential dread of one's mortality playing out on top of their head for all to see, like some kind of corporeal looking glass. Men don't really get much of a chance to commiserate about this with one another, which is a shame because it can have a real impact on your self-image. I've gone full minoxidil and finasteride since then, and they seem to be steadying the ship thus far.

That's awesome about the working out, and it definitely helps the old self-confidence too. Plus, what wife worth her salt wouldn't welcome a good rogering from a trim, muscular man no matter the state of his follicular affairs? I look up to you, friend. Lead the way.

Well said completely agree. If you dont mind me asking how long have you taken minox and fin? I've heard good things and heard monoxide only works for 60% of guys or something. Did you notice a change, any regrowth or mainly slowing? Heard about the places like Hims, Keeps and all that any suggestions?
#FreeChuckDiesel
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#1468 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:58 pm

Any anxiety sufferers out there that have remedied or lessened their problem without taking medication? I've been having it really bad the last month or so. Hard to tell if it's situational (had a really awful year in general) or something more, but I've always had anxiety to some degree.

Just started trying CBD oil a few days ago, as I've heard good things about it. Was wondering if anyone else used it, what kind they used, how big of a dose they took, and what time during the day. Really trying to get rid of this naturally. I've been eating pretty well and working out almost every day, but am just coming off basically 9 months straight of having at least a couple drinks every night.

Was wondering if anyone else had similar situations going on.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1469 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:19 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Any anxiety sufferers out there that have remedied or lessened their problem without taking medication? I've been having it really bad the last month or so. Hard to tell if it's situational (had a really awful year in general) or something more, but I've always had anxiety to some degree.

Just started trying CBD oil a few days ago, as I've heard good things about it. Was wondering if anyone else used it, what kind they used, how big of a dose they took, and what time during the day. Really trying to get rid of this naturally. I've been eating pretty well and working out almost every day, but am just coming off basically 9 months straight of having at least a couple drinks every night.

It's cliché, but meditation and exercise have really helped me. I steered heavily into both this past year to combat increased anxiety. It's not a cure-all, but it has very noticeably helped.

For meditation, I use the Calm app, which I got a free year of through AmEx at the time. In retrospect, I would have been (and will be) fine paying for it too. Even if you think you're not "good" at meditating, taking that time to even try to clear my head has been really valuable to me. Peloton also offers some meditation classes, but it's clearly not their wheelhouse. Better than nothing, but Calm is much higher quality instruction.

I have not used CBD oil, but have also been curious so will be interested to see what others have to say.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#1470 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:25 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
It's cliché, but meditation and exercise have really helped me. I steered heavily into both this past year to combat increased anxiety. It's not a cure-all, but it has very noticeably helped.

For meditation, I use the Calm app, which I got a free year of through AmEx at the time. In retrospect, I would have been (and will be) fine paying for it too. Even if you think you're not "good" at meditating, taking that time to even try to clear my head has been really valuable to me. Peloton also offers some meditation classes, but it's clearly not their wheelhouse. Better than nothing, but Calm is much higher quality instruction.

I have not used CBD oil, but have also been curious so will be interested to see what others have to say.

It's funny you say that, as I was looking into meditation yesterday a bit. How much is the Calm App normally?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,913

Post#1471 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:30 pm

I don't use CBD oil but I've heard you have to be careful about the quality, a lot of crap CBD oil out there, which I would assume would include Amazon where they have a ton of crap/fake/bootleg stuff of all kinds.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1472 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:34 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

It's funny you say that, as I was looking into meditation yesterday a bit. How much is the Calm App normally?

$70 annually. I don't see an option for monthly renewals, but I think if you are not yet a member, you'll see an option for monthly also.

There is a free version to get started with a few classes, and I believe there's also a 14 day trial for premium.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,236

Post#1473 » by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:34 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Just started trying CBD oil a few days ago, as I've heard good things about it. Was wondering if anyone else used it, what kind they used, how big of a dose they took, and what time during the day. Really trying to get rid of this naturally.

MickeyDavis wrote:I don't use CBD oil but I've heard you have to be careful about the quality, a lot of crap CBD oil out there, which I would assume would include Amazon where they have a ton of crap/fake/bootleg stuff of all kinds.

MD is right on with this. Most of the good CBD oil is pretty expensive. At least a few hundred dollars. I've tried a bunch of different CBD's from vapes, to pills, tinctures, etc. and It hasn't really done a whole lot for me in terms of anxiety, stress or inflammation.

Edit: I have had some success with self medication every now and then, but you need to be careful with that because it effects everyone different and could have the opposite effect you want (anxiety, panic attacks).
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#1474 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:39 pm

CBD oil was an expensive mistake when I gave it a shot. Did literally nothing.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,169

Post#1475 » by Iheartfootball » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:40 pm

Spoiler:
LUKE23 wrote:Any anxiety sufferers out there that have remedied or lessened their problem without taking medication? I've been having it really bad the last month or so. Hard to tell if it's situational (had a really awful year in general) or something more, but I've always had anxiety to some degree.

Anxiety right now is extremely common. You mentioned having an awful year and general and stopping drinking after 9 months. Without knowing your full story those are two big reasons for an uptick. I've lowered mine without drugs but everyone is different. Depends on the environment, age, emotional, and physical attributes. I can say what has worked for me and others through research. Anxiety is our body telling us something is wrong and we need to act on it or we will die. Obviously, unless you are in mortal danger that is not true but brains are complex. Important to note - there is no magic bullet; truly depends on you. Combinations of the below can be helpful.

1) Exercise. This is probably the most common and effective method to lower anxiety.
2) Nutrition. Get a physical, blood test, see if you are low in Vitamin D. Supplements can help. Nutritionists can help decipher bloodwork and help target deficiencies.
3) Talk therapy. There are cost-effective ways to do this now without insurance. I've had friends in my cohort (I'm a counseling student) research Talkspace and the like and while there isn't' much empirical evidence of its efficacy versus in-person therapy, they found it to be effective depending on the relationship. This means - the most important part of therapy is the relationship you have with your therapist and not how it's conducted. I've practiced via Zoom and found it effective as both counselor in training and client. Try out different therapists and see which ones work for you. You may tell them this upfront that you are looking and would like a consultation to feel out what their style is like.
4) Meditation. Just 5 minutes a day has been proven effective in changing mood. There is a host of literature on its efficacy. It's an easy and effective way to calm and quiet the default mode network.
5) Medication. It's okay to use the medication if needed. But I recommend talking to a psychiatrist or your primary care physician if they administer in your state. Important to note that just like anything, dependence builds tolerance so medication won't work forever. It's a bridge that can help while you work in other areas to adjust your mood.
6) Find a hobby, develop a skill or relationship. This will keep you connected and keep you in action.
7) Writingis a great way to work out anxiety and depression (two sides of the same coin in my opinion). Journal, write creatively. There are a bunch of books out there that can help you get started. Something about the connection between our hands and brain on paper is effective in changing mood.

A key to anxiety is listening to why your body is feeling like it does. Sometimes it means action (another key), sometimes it's just listening (meditation or mindfulness) and inaction. Research anxiety and how it works; bibliotherapy is an underutilized tactic. Gives you control, which is much of what anxiety takes away. It can be paralyzing. I hope this was helpful. As I said, getting in action is another key - which you already did by reaching out, good job!
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#1476 » by crkone » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:41 pm

**** I got is weird. It helps me sleep when I have issues sleeping but if for any reason I wake up around 2-3AM I stay awake.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#1477 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:50 pm

I was channel surfing and settled on The Devil Wears Prada this weekend (shut up) and the boyfriend chef in it makes a Jarlsberg grilled cheese and I, never having had Jarlsberg before, picked up a lb. Just had my expensive grilled cheese and it tasted like plastic. Total garbage cheese.

Hollywood is **** bullsh*t, man.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#1478 » by emunney » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:56 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

Good break-in for meditation imo is to just set aside a couple minutes a few times a day to focus on taking deep breaths and nothing else. It's easy and will give you a hint of the benefits of mindfulness practice / meditation.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#1479 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 5:12 pm

Anyone tried ashwaghanda for anxiety? I've read a lot about that as well.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,236

Post#1480 » by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 5, 2021 5:20 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Anyone tried ashwaghanda for anxiety? I've read a lot about that as well.

I've tried this kind before. It helped to relax me a bit, but it doesn't take away all the anxiety.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079NMSPBW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks