ImageImageImageImageImage

WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Re: WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1 

Post#341 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Jan 5, 2021 11:08 am

This was how I envisioned wiseman playing these last two games. Rim running and face up/post up moves. He has a very diverse skillset you can tell. Taking less jumpers has done wonders for his efficiency.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,045

Post#342 » by The-Power » Tue Jan 5, 2021 12:36 pm

whatisacenter wrote:one of the things detractors of Wiseman were saying leading up to the draft was that he lacked motor and I have seen none of that.

I fought those windmills from day one in college. I've seen Wiseman in HS games as well as in his three games with Memphis and I always pointed out that he doesn't have motor issues and in fact has shown a pretty good motor for a young big. Feel for the game as a concern I could understand, but never the motor concerns some voiced.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 217

Post#343 » by sonnyhill » Tue Jan 5, 2021 1:11 pm

Right now, as long as Wiseman is getting double-digit rebound numbers and 2-3 blocks per game, we should be happy.

Wiseman's offense will improve as he becomes more comfortable and familiar with both running the floor on the break as well as in the Warrior half-court sets. The kid sets good screens, has a nice outside shot, can run-and-finish on the break, and can finish the pick-and-roll.

Assist numbers: Once Wiseman develops a "good enough" low-block and back-to-the-basket game on offense which can draw a double-team, Curry, Klay (when he returns), Wiggins, Mulder, Lee (and anyone else who can hit the spot-up three-point shot should get better open-looks, too. Also, Oubre, Curry, Wiggins, Green, Paschall, Klay (and others who feel comfortable cutting to the basket) should be open for easy baskets near the hoop, too.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#344 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:45 pm

I love how our defense is trending. They are swarming and the length is something to see. As Wiseman gains knowledge and notoriety, teams will be more reluctant to go in there for fear of blocking and changing shots.

Draymond really keys all of this on both sides of the ball. It also seems like Oubre and Wiggins are excepting the defensive challenges being thrown at them.

Problem is, neither guy is a smart basketball player. But their heads in the right place right now and they are trying to do the right things.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#345 » by FNQ » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:49 pm

The-Power wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:one of the things detractors of Wiseman were saying leading up to the draft was that he lacked motor and I have seen none of that.

I fought those windmills from day one in college. I've seen Wiseman in HS games as well as in his three games with Memphis and I always pointed out that he doesn't have motor issues and in fact has shown a pretty good motor for a young big. Feel for the game as a concern I could understand, but never the motor concerns some voiced.

His face has no motor.. thats the problem. He looks as apathetic as Hassan Whiteside, but he plays as on-fire as Hassan Whiteside in a contract year
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#346 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:54 pm

I think his face is just that of a kid trying to do the right things.

There’s some video of him in high school where he’s very demonstrative. So I’m not to worried about any of that. He’s just poised. Which is really rare for a kid coming in at that age.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#347 » by TB » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:01 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I think his face is just that of a kid trying to do the right things.

There’s some video of him in high school where he’s very demonstrative. So I’m not to worried about any of that. He’s just poised. Which is really rare for a kid coming in at that age.

This exactly.

His facial expressions and body language to me have looked like:
1) when he does good/great things its expected
2) he's frustrated and aware of when he does something wrong

This kid wants and expects to be great. No motor issues at all. Even the plays he lets someone get a layup or dunk, you can see that he's processing things quick enough to back off to avoid a dumb foul or going for a block he will be late on. The kid is always trying to make the smart play, whereas most rookies are kind of told to just go play hard and the game will eventually come to you.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#348 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:03 pm

To add to that, he’s backed off taking face up jumpers a little bit and is moving the ball quicker. Some of that is the Draymond influence no doubt.
Khoee wrote “
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#349 » by Samurai » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:35 pm

FNQ wrote:
The-Power wrote:

His face has no motor.. thats the problem. He looks as apathetic as Hassan Whiteside, but he plays as on-fire as Hassan Whiteside in a contract year

I'm not concerned with how his face looks; it's all about what he delivers on the court. Remember Kareem's face looked like he was bored playing basketball. But if Wiseman ends up scoring over 38K points, wins 6 MVP awards, 11 All-Defensive teams, and wears 6 rings (all with the Dubs, of course!) his face can look any which way he wants it to.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#350 » by FNQ » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:39 pm

Ya'll dont need to respond to it seriously, it wasn't meant to be :lol:

I can't think of any reason people questioned his motor at all
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#351 » by FNQ » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:40 pm

Mylie10 wrote:To add to that, he’s backed off taking face up jumpers a little bit and is moving the ball quicker. Some of that is the Draymond influence no doubt.

Draymond is gonna be great for the kid, but I wonder if Dray can have that same effect on Oubre (passing while driving) and Wiggins (not hesitating as much when getting the ball). Both of them are so close to being consistent positives offensively..
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#352 » by Little Digger » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:52 pm

FNQ wrote:Ya'll dont need to respond to it seriously, it wasn't meant to be :lol:

I did ..
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#353 » by FNQ » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:55 pm

Little Digger wrote:
FNQ wrote:Ya'll dont need to respond to it seriously, it wasn't meant to be :lol:

I did ..

Was it his face?
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#354 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:56 pm

Digger fell into the trap for a while.

Seriously there were so many negative reports about him based on the unknown.

What all of this should prove is that so many people who claim to be draft experts, just don’t do enough homework on certain guys. It’s group think and then one thing a draft guy says will spread around the internet and all of a sudden Wiseman has no motor.

I can’t tell you how many reports I saw said he is stiff and not athletic. I’m like,WTF!

It just goes to show, find draft guys who are more right than wrong over the years and kind of value their opinions over the others. I trust Bilas and Fraschilla most of the time. Fraschilla on Foreign players especially.

But if you do enough searching and watch full games if you can, it helps a ton. Also add context. Everybody drew conclusions based on a few people’s negative tales on the Oregon game. But if you really watch h that whole game there is context to what happened.

Also Penny did Wiseman no favors based on the style of play they were running with him. It was 1990’s post up style forcing the ball into double teams in the post. Terrible.
Khoee wrote “
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#355 » by Little Digger » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:58 pm

FNQ wrote:
Little Digger wrote:

I did ..

Was it his face?

I felt I didn’t have enough to go on with Wiseman and was more impressed with Mobley’s motor when they matched up..
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#356 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:00 pm

They reclassified Wisemans wingspan.

It’s now Alcatraz to Pacifica
Khoee wrote “
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#357 » by FNQ » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:05 pm

Little Digger wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Little Digger wrote:I did ..

Was it his face?

I felt I didn’t have enough to go on with Wiseman and was more impressed with Mobley’s motor when they matched up..

I didnt see any of his HS stuff. I can't do anything with HS stuff because its just so random.. watched his games at Memphis and thought he'd be a great player in that limited time - but I thought he'd be bullied a lot more in the NBA than he has so far. I mean in just a few games there's notable improvement - hell I remember one game (Chicago or Detroit) where he got 2 quick fouls for leaving his feet, Kerr gives him a little lesson, he comes back out a quarter later and changes shots without leaving his feet

Funny enough too when I watch Mobley play at times, especially rotating on defense, he looks a bit slow, but hes in the Pac12 and I dissect all non-Cal players to death. Even the great players, I like at first and then nitpick them to death. James Harden was probably my worst one
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#358 » by FNQ » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:06 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Also Penny did Wiseman no favors based on the style of play they were running with him. It was 1990’s post up style forcing the ball into double teams in the post. Terrible.

The split zone/man they ran at first really highlighted his defensive potential to me. It didnt look that smooth but JW was always in the play. Did take him out of rebounding position a bit but one small talk with Kerr ironed that out for the past 3 NBA games
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#359 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:12 pm

Once he got suspended and then opted out, I followed his stuff through social media. Also listened and watched his interviews with Schmidt and especially the one with Woj. That one was telling. Then Woj reported on the Miami workout early on. And at that time the Warriors front office people weren’t mentioned. But that stuff leaked out later.

But I first really paid attention to him in a high school all star game. I happened to watch the whole game back then and he was clearly the best player on the floor hands down. And it was with most of the elite prospects going into college. He dominated and did things guys his size don’t do. And the jumper had such a nice arc and was fluid, albeit a bit slow.

The thought of us being in position to draft him wasn’t even a thought at that time. After our crap season the intensity of wanting us to draft him was at a fever pitch for me.....and I apologize to all of those people I either offended, or made sick with all my hot takes lol
Khoee wrote “
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Post#360 » by killmongrel » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:12 pm

It's awesome how we got the best player overall in the draft and filled a starting roster spot. Myers didn't get cute with the pick and it's already looking like a great move for him.

Return to Golden State Warriors