buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1481 » by buckboy » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:01 pm

emunney wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
It's cliché, but meditation and exercise have really helped me. I steered heavily into both this past year to combat increased anxiety. It's not a cure-all, but it has very noticeably helped.

For meditation, I use the Calm app, which I got a free year of through AmEx at the time. In retrospect, I would have been (and will be) fine paying for it too. Even if you think you're not "good" at meditating, taking that time to even try to clear my head has been really valuable to me. Peloton also offers some meditation classes, but it's clearly not their wheelhouse. Better than nothing, but Calm is much higher quality instruction.

I have not used CBD oil, but have also been curious so will be interested to see what others have to say.

It's funny you say that, as I was looking into meditation yesterday a bit. How much is the Calm App normally?

Good break-in for meditation imo is to just set aside a couple minutes a few times a day to focus on taking deep breaths and nothing else. It's easy and will give you a hint of the benefits of mindfulness practice / meditation.

My 7 year old daughter and I do this every day. It really helps her (that was the original point), but I find it helps me quite a bit as well.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#1482 » by Mags FTW » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:06 pm

Make sure you guys speak with a doctor before you start self-diagnosing and pumping your body with stuff off the internet.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,618

Post#1483 » by Gianstoppable » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:57 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Make sure you guys speak with a doctor before you start self-diagnosing and pumping your body with stuff off the internet.

100% even though doctors typically dont like to push people for alternative medicine they will at least let you know if what you take could have adverse side effects and or allergic reactions.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MrHoneycutt
Starter
And1: 2,443

Post#1484 » by MrHoneycutt » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:08 pm

Gianstoppable wrote:
MrHoneycutt wrote:
Gianstoppable wrote:Starting to bald at 32. I knew it would happen with genetics and it hasn't gotten bad yet but man, I'm gonna look weird as hell in 5 years that said I'm going to start working out every day as my new years resolution and I have done awesome the last 3 weeks. I figure better health plus my wife would probably rather look at a toned bald guy than a skinny fat bald guy

I feel you, man. I'm 35 and started noticing some thinning on my crown a few years ago, and honestly couldn't handle it. A bad combination of vanity and the existential dread of one's mortality playing out on top of their head for all to see, like some kind of corporeal looking glass. Men don't really get much of a chance to commiserate about this with one another, which is a shame because it can have a real impact on your self-image. I've gone full minoxidil and finasteride since then, and they seem to be steadying the ship thus far.

That's awesome about the working out, and it definitely helps the old self-confidence too. Plus, what wife worth her salt wouldn't welcome a good rogering from a trim, muscular man no matter the state of his follicular affairs? I look up to you, friend. Lead the way.

Well said completely agree. If you dont mind me asking how long have you taken minox and fin? I've heard good things and heard monoxide only works for 60% of guys or something. Did you notice a change, any regrowth or mainly slowing? Heard about the places like Hims, Keeps and all that any suggestions?

For sure! I've been on minoxidil for maybe 3 years now, and just started finasteride 5 months ago. If I could do it all over again I'd reverse it, as now it's hard to tell just how much benefit the minoxidil has without stopping completely, if that makes sense. If I would have waited on it I could see if it even did anything, which has been fairly hard to tell. Definitely good to note that both medications need to be taken indefinitely for their impact to remain, so it's a big consideration for how much of a pain in the ass you'd like to invite into your life.

I've primarily been holding down the fort, no real regrowth to speak of thus far but I'm told these things can take up to 2 years to settle with finasteride. I've heard of Hims etc., but actually just get prescribed by my doctor. That way, you can have the generic sent into your pharmacy and use GoodRx to have the entire supply cost a lot less than the $30 a month from Hims or whatever. Thankfully as well I have not had any side effects, which the literature shows are rare but definitely worth considering. Another thing I did just to slowly build up is cut the 1mg pills in half for the first month or two just to see how my body worked with them, and only started the full dose after that.

I hope that's helpful in some way! It's definitely a unique proposition, no? For me it was worth it to see if this stuff could give me any benefit before I threw in the towel as an avowed narcissist. In a lot of ways, though, I'm quite envious of those who have the courage to just say eh, whatever, and let it go/start shaving their heads. I'm not there yet, but I always tell my wife I just want a good run until I'm 50, and then who cares if I lose my hair? Of course, check back when I'm 47.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#1485 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:49 pm

MrHoneycutt wrote:
I hope that's helpful in some way! It's definitely a unique proposition, no? For me it was worth it to see if this stuff could give me any benefit before I threw in the towel as an avowed narcissist. In a lot of ways, though, I'm quite envious of those who have the courage to just say eh, whatever, and let it go/start shaving their heads. I'm not there yet, but I always tell my wife I just want a good run until I'm 50, and then who cares if I lose my hair? Of course, check back when I'm 47.

That's me, and I honestly don't know if I'd go back at this point. When you are losing it (or start to lose it) it sucks, but once it's over, you're like "who gives a ****". Granted, I started losing mine around age 23, and I looked at my genetics and knew I was boned. Probably much different for others. You do you.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#1486 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:05 pm

My brother started shaving his head in his teens, I started in my late 20s. As soon as it starts to go, shave it off. A shaved head looks better than thinning/some hair.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#1487 » by crkone » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:17 pm

I've been balding since my late teens. Always just do a #2 on it and call it a day.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,148

Post#1488 » by KidA24 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:44 pm

crkone wrote:I've been balding since my late teens. Always just do a #2 on it and call it a day.

Impressive flexibility, but never knew that would help hair growth.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1489 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:47 pm

I've also gone with a #2 (pun intended) of late. I used to buzz it as a kid and I have enough left to still let it ride if I want to...but man I am getting close to being out of that territory. have been practicing the buzz and may have to go shorter as I lose what I have left up top.

Genetically, if it follows your mom's dad, I should've lost it off the top of the dome like 10 years ago...so approaching my mid-30s I'm not doing too bad.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,297

Post#1490 » by jute2003 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:50 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:My brother started shaving his head in his teens, I started in my late 20s. As soon as it starts to go, shave it off. A shaved head looks better than thinning/some hair.
I just use a buzzer with no guard once or twice a week. Same difference. Once it got to the point where it was noticably thin, I let it go. No point in fighting the inevitable.

You'll never have to worry about hat head again.
only a fan, only an opinion
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,254

Post#1491 » by Finn » Tue Jan 5, 2021 10:23 pm

I've wanted to shave my head for years but my wife is adamant against it. When she had a brain tumor, I thought I'd be able to shave my head in solidarity. Fortunately for me & her, the tumor was benign & required no chemo/radiation (just a couple of scary operations). Unfortunately for my hair, the thinning continues & the bald spot expands exponentially.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#1492 » by skones » Tue Jan 5, 2021 10:33 pm

I have a full head of luscious locks.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,590

Post#1493 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jan 5, 2021 10:35 pm

I'm 34 and have no signs of balding (though I do not rule anything out), but I'll be grey by 40 at the latest. Probably well before. It started in my late 20s and it's easy to spot in pictures at this point.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,089

Post#1494 » by DingleJerry » Tue Jan 5, 2021 10:42 pm

I have crazy thick hair while in my mid 30s to the point where really all I could do was a 1/2 and move on. Like problematically thick where there's nothing you can do with it normally, and any new hair cutter would say it's the thickest they've seen. To be stupid I haven't cut it since shutdown in early March and seeing how long I can let it ride. I can basically make it a white guys fro if I want. But now it's starting to get long enough to fall down if I want rather than just fro up and I've learned how to care or it better so starting to flow a bit more . Personally, I think it looks glorious. Others, mostly women, seem to disagree. I figure might as well use it while I have it and when else will I get a chance to do this so why not have fun with it.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#1495 » by humanrefutation » Tue Jan 5, 2021 11:14 pm

I've been shaving my head for about five years now. I shave it pretty much every other day. The trigger was going to my barber one day, looking at the top of my head for the first time in years, and realizing that I was holding on to scraps. Haven't looked back.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1496 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jan 5, 2021 11:29 pm

DingleJerry wrote:I have crazy thick hair while in my mid 30s to the point where really all I could do was a 1/2 and move on. Like problematically thick where there's nothing you can do with it normally, and any new hair cutter would say it's the thickest they've seen. To be stupid I haven't cut it since shutdown in early March and seeing how long I can let it ride. I can basically make it a white guys fro if I want. But now it's starting to get long enough to fall down if I want rather than just fro up and I've learned how to care or it better so starting to flow a bit more . Personally, I think it looks glorious. Others, mostly women, seem to disagree. I figure might as well use it while I have it and when else will I get a chance to do this so why not have fun with it.

I have a super thick head of hair also (though no 'fro), but I just don't want to jinx it :lol:
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#1497 » by buckboy » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:17 am

I wish I was bald. I am one hairy ****. I could live to be 100 without going bald. Pain in the ass.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#1498 » by stellation » Fri Jan 8, 2021 11:31 pm

We're in the middle of peak stone fruit season here in the Antipodes, what a time to be alive!

I ate an amazing nectarine this morning... or, based on the noises and sensual pleasure, I probably should say... I made love to an amazing nectarine this morning. I'm eyeing off a sexy mango in the fruit bowl for later, but I may just add that to the indulgent group love of a fruit salad. I don't know! OH MY GOD!
#FreeChuckDiesel
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1499 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jan 8, 2021 11:46 pm

stellation wrote:We're in the middle of peak stone fruit season here in the Antipodes, what a time to be alive!

I ate an amazing nectarine this morning... or, based on the noises and sensual pleasure, I probably should say... I made love to an amazing nectarine this morning. I'm eyeing off a sexy mango in the fruit bowl for later, but I may just add that to the indulgent group love of a fruit salad. I don't know! OH MY GOD!

Here in the what now?

(I presume you mean Australia obviously but I'm going for more info, lol)
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#1500 » by crkone » Fri Jan 8, 2021 11:53 pm

stellation wrote:We're in the middle of peak stone fruit season here in the Antipodes, what a time to be alive!

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |

Return to Milwaukee Bucks