ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 8 Clips hosting Spurs (2-4) 7 p.m. Prime Ticket

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,212

Re: Game 8 Clips hosting Spurs (2-4) 7 p.m. Prime Ticket 

Post#61 » by Clemenza » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:24 am

TheNewEra wrote:That wasn’t a very creative last play.

It seemed like they believed Pop was going to intentionally foul to send them to the line for two points instead of playing defense and taking the risk of a tie with a made three. The bench going into the start of the 4th quarter giving up those 12 points after we got within one point screwed the comeback up royally
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,112

Post#62 » by og15 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:26 am

I'm not a fan of having no bigs there, because bigs are larger screens. Ibaka is a 3PT shooting big, so it makes sense to have him out there to set a better screen. None of the screens landed, and with the Spurs switching everything, which I think one should expect, trying to get Kawhi on the cut back didn't work since they just switched.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#63 » by esqtvd » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:27 am

og15 wrote:Okay, game is still live

I really appreciate the adult supervision again, mister moderator. You're the only thing saving these game threads from a repeat of last year. Nobody wants to get their hopes up in a sea of negativity. :pray:

They looked like sh*it
But they didn't quit!!

Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,178

Post#64 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:29 am

esqtvd wrote:Nobody wants to get their hopes up in a sea of negativity. :pray:

Says the guy who's rooting for the team to fail and Kawhi to leave.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#65 » by TheNewEra » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:53 am

Tough loss but it’s been a very difficult schedule while dealing with injuries early
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#66 » by TheNewEra » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:55 am

og15 wrote:

I'm not a fan of having no bigs there, because bigs are larger screens. Ibaka is a 3PT shooting big, so it makes sense to have him out there to set a better screen. None of the screens landed, and with the Spurs switching everything, which I think one should expect, trying to get Kawhi on the cut back didn't work since they just switched.

Got swarmed into a tough shot. I thought Ibaka and Beverly would of been in to at least play decoys in case of a pass off bail out shot. Lue has a lot to work on and injuries clearly didn’t help us having two defenders out of the game. Ibaka has to keep his shot going because defensively it’s not always clicking
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 913

Post#67 » by NickP » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:03 am

Give Lue some time before judging him as a bad coach. Doc got 8 years. There are new guys on this team still settling in their roles. I know a loss is a loss but Batum has been a silver lining.
We haven't seen ibaka fully comfortable yet. Kennard is still finding his place on this team. Still figuring out when not to defer. Let's give this team 20 games and then see where they are.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,399

Post#68 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:07 am

Are PG and Kawhi both sitting out tomorrow?
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,687

Post#69 » by KL2 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:07 am

Batum will certainly help stabilize the bench unit.

Lue has done a phenomenal job of staggering Leonard/George. Hopefully Morris will be back soon and be available when Leonard/George sits.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,112

Post#70 » by og15 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:08 am

SK21209 wrote:This team would benefit enormously from getting Morris back and trading Lou. Reggie/Lou/Kennard is way too bad defensively.

His absence certainly gives a clear reminder that the roster was not built to be it's best with him being unavailable, which of course makes sense. And of course the roster was not built to be it's best defensively with George or Leonard out along with Morris. I think we have to remember that as we assess the lineups choices when two top rotation players (and two of the better defenders) are out. I'm trying to think of how many teams are not hurt a good amount defensively if more than one of their better defenders is out.

Take out Lebron or Davis and one of the Lakers other better defenders, how does their defense look? Jokic or Murray and Millsap, how is Denver's defense? It would be odd to criticize Bud for playing Augustin and Forbes or something in a game where Middleton and Holiday were both out.

Even though Morris was expected to start, Batum is looking very nice in that role. Off the bench or starting, a Morris return would cut Jackson out of the regular rotation. The rotation with a healthy Morris and Batum as a starter or vice versa would not require the three guard lineup, and would give more lineup options (eg: big defensive lineup, Batum/George/Leonard/Morris/(Ibaka or Zubac) ).

NickP wrote:Give Lue some time before judging him as a bad coach. Doc got 8 years. There are new guys on this team still settling in their roles. I know a loss is a loss but Batum has been a silver lining.
We haven't seen ibaka fully comfortable yet. Kennard is still finding his place on this team. Still figuring out when not to defer. Let's give this team 20 games and then see where they are.
Yea, also tough to really judge rotation options when two of your top 6 players are not playing.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,178

Post#71 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:11 am

NickP wrote:Give Lue some time before judging him as a bad coach.

He's had time. This isn't his first head coaching job. He's not going to magically become a Stevens/Spo/Nurse-level coach at this point.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#72 » by esqtvd » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:35 am

poultryfan wrote:Are we even sure that's Patty Mills? Looks like Steph Curry tonight.

Steph tomorrow. :o

LOL, but you're right--when a guy's hitting everything from the parking lot, you have a good chance of losing. After a tentative start to the season [40%/33%], with PG out, I thought Kawhi really took over tonight, at least in the second half, and he almost pulled it off.

This team is still finding its identity, and with PG out [who's been stepping up front in the identity department], it was good to see Pat Bev make a BIG impact too--20 points, 8 rebs and 8 dimes.

All the starters finished in the plus, and even Lou was plus+3. It's easy to blame Reggie's minus-21, but Zu was minus-18 and Mann was minus-20 IN NINE MINUTES!

I'm not a blame game guy. IMO, the Clips were just starting to jell around PG--with Kawhi slightly off to the side, the way he likes it. With PG out, we were a pickup team again, like we were much of last year.

This Clipper team is still about WHO, not what:

Kennard was probably a good barometer--thrown into the starting 5 and playing a team-high 38 minutes, he was plus/minus ZERO, lol. 3-10 shooting but with 6 rebs and 4 assists. If you figure he's replacing Shamet, we're already gold.

Now if Batum can stay in tonight's zone--36 minutes, 21 points 9 rebs, 3 assists, a block and a steal---we have something better than Trez and J-Myke combined last year.

Serge had rather a crap game on paper [3 points, 5 rebs, 2 blocks] but was still plus+10. Even on a bad night, you're going to be able to give him 20 minutes he's not going to hurt you--unlike Trez and to a lesser degree J-Myke. That's damn good news. Sometimes you just need MINUTES from somewhere. If he's healthy, Serge can do.

They looked like sh*it
But they didn't quit

If I can say that after every loss, I'm good.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#73 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:45 am

It is probably because I watch all of their games, but it seems like the Clippers are victimized by red hot shooting on a more frequent basis than most teams. Sometimes it is bad defense, but other times it just seems like bad luck. It seems like certain guys just thrive repeatedly against the Clippers- like Conley, Ingles, Mills, Gay, etc.

It also didn't help that Aldridge returned tonight. Must be nice to be the Lakers and play the Spurs when he sits out back to back games
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#74 » by esqtvd » Wed Jan 6, 2021 7:04 am

TheNewEra wrote:Lou Will smoking crack with that shot

We pay him to smoke crack. Not so much to eat lemon pepper wings. :)

21 minutes
15 points
2 rebs, 2 assists and a steal

I respected Jamal but I'd much rather have had Lou on Lob City

if you look up Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson's stats sometime you'll see why players respect Jamal and Lou [and Iverson in his time]

that said Mr. Era--I never want to be losing and having to play Lou late!!
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#75 » by esqtvd » Wed Jan 6, 2021 7:25 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:It is probably because I watch all of their games, but it seems like the Clippers are victimized by red hot shooting on a more frequent basis than most teams. Sometimes it is bad defense, but other times it just seems like bad luck. It seems like certain guys just thrive repeatedly against the Clippers- like Conley, Ingles, Mills, Gay, etc.

It also didn't help that Aldridge returned tonight. Must be nice to be the Lakers and play the Spurs when he sits out back to back games

Yah, you're onto something here. Who's afraid of the Clippers? Nobody.

Although I think we've had our share of luck over the last 2 years not having to face certain guys, I do think it's easier to have a big game against us, the OTHER LA team. It might be something in your head since you were a kid. Or NBA2k.

I'd rather face Kawhi Leonard and Chris Paul, Elton Brand, Blake Griffin than LeBron and Magic, Kobe and Kareem.

LOL, bro, let's face it--we're REALLY pathetic when you think about it. The greatest Clippers of all time were Buffalo Braves.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1723499-ranking-the-top-25-players-in-la-clippers-history
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#76 » by TheNewEra » Wed Jan 6, 2021 7:38 am

Welp at least another round of stimulus is more likely because of tonight
MartinRiggs
Junior
And1: 136

Post#77 » by MartinRiggs » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:33 am

I really hate GSW team. It would be so wrong to give them easy win without Kawhi,PG and Morris. :noway:

I am starting to think Morris has meniscus problems and they are waiting for it to heal instead of surgery. :cry:
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#78 » by TheNewEra » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:40 am

esqtvd wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:Lou Will smoking crack with that shot

We pay him to smoke crack. Not so much to eat lemon pepper wings. :)

21 minutes
15 points
2 rebs, 2 assists and a steal

I respected Jamal but I'd much rather have had Lou on Lob City

if you look up Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson's stats sometime you'll see why players respect Jamal and Lou [and Iverson in his time]

that said Mr. Era--I never want to be losing and having to play Lou late!!

I would feel disrespected if I’m Beverly when I’m shooting great and still getting benched. Off game for Lou toward the end but it was a uphill climb
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Post#79 » by Kelphus » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:17 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
esqtvd wrote:Nobody wants to get their hopes up in a sea of negativity. :pray:

Says the guy who's rooting for the team to fail and Kawhi to leave.

This is the kind of misleading post which should not be allowed.
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#80 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:29 pm

:D maybe the Clippers should pursue Mills if for no other reason but to prevent him from going off on them in the future

Return to Los Angeles Clippers