Pistons sign Jerami Grant

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Re: Pistons sign Jerami Grant 

Post#421 » by Piston Pete » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:03 pm

I also wanted Avdija.

Grant has been better than I expected. But I think by the time his contract runs out, he won’t be a Piston anymore.

I think Sekou is out long-term PF and Grant will be moved somewhere between now and then, thus giving Sekou the starting PF spot.

When that happens, that’s the question.
Jackattaq
Lead Assistant
And1: 246

Post#422 » by Jackattaq » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:25 pm

It does appear that Grant is a bit of a volume scorer, but I like what I've seen. He can get his own shot (which surprised me a bit). He can hit that 16-18 footer off the dribble. He posts up a bit. He is a nice catch and shoot 3 point shooter. I like it so far. He plays good defense and even comes off his man on help defense at the rim sometimes. I don't mind that sometimes he takes a few bad shots, it's better to have a guy willing to take the shot that one that defers too much (right into a 24 second violation). He is pretty athletic, he isn't a blackhole and he is a willing passer.

When it was announced he got 20,000,000 per year, I was feeling a bit deflated (here we go again). So far though, he has been very good.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#423 » by thesack12 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 1:19 pm

Yeah, he's been a better player than I thought he would so far by a fairly big margin. It will be interesting to see how he is able to adjust to the impending adjustments opposing defenses are going to make on him. We need to remember that the book on Grant being more of a focal point offensively only has 8 games of content to be authored on. Once there is enough of a sample size for a legitimate scouting report to be built on him, defense will make adjustments and direct more attention at him. The question will then be how does Grant respond then?

As for the signing overall, lets be honest. Even if Grant continues on this current path that he's been on to start the season, it still won't result in being a good signing for Detroit unless they can trade him for assets down the line. His contract is eating up quite a bit of long term cap flexibility, and this would be the same caliber of team with or without him.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#424 » by Piston Pete » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:28 pm

thesack12 wrote:
As for the signing overall, lets be honest. Even if Grant continues on this current path that he's been on to start the season, it still won't result in being a good signing for Detroit unless they can trade him for assets down the line. His contract is eating up quite a bit of long term cap flexibility, and this would be the same caliber of team with or without him.

This
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#425 » by bstein14 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:36 pm

Piston Pete wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

This

All of this year's first rounders will be on cheap deals until the year after Grant expires. We get 4 cheap years with them, which really gives us a chance to be players in FA when Blake expires and then again when Grant expires, unless we're planning on keeping him long term.

Either way, Grant has been solid and he continues to improve offensively doing things we haven't seen from him in the NBA previously. I think its a safe bet that Grant does/will have trade value if we want to pull the trigger on a move.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,373

Post#426 » by Billl » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:42 pm

Grant has played great. More importantly, he's one of key guys turning our culture around. The effort this team is giving is a night and day difference to the last few years. It matters that our leading scorer is playing his azz off on D. It's going to make an impression on the young guys to have him around.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,885

Post#427 » by tmorgan » Thu Jan 7, 2021 11:25 pm

If we want to sell high and flip him, so be it, but there’s nothing wrong with a Bey/Grant combo at the 3/4 for the long haul.

We really needed some modern forwards. Nice to have.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#428 » by Sort » Thu Jan 7, 2021 11:46 pm

Woo.. trade our best player? Grant/Bey looks like a great combo up front and eventually this Blake nonsense - not his salary just the player - is going away, and we'll get a chance to see Grant/Bey develop, grow.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#429 » by Pharaoh » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:15 am

Happy to see a dude bet on himself and win...although it's still early he does look like a different player than the one we saw in pre-season

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
JohnReese
Senior
And1: 270

Post#430 » by JohnReese » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:10 am

Keep an eye on the Nuggets situation. We might be able to take advantage of it at the right time. They have some assets we might be interested in.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#431 » by Pharaoh » Fri Jan 8, 2021 10:24 am

They're not going to trade Murray, Jokic or MPJ and I'm not interested in the rest.

IF Grant wanted to be there he would be.

He came here to prove something which is as Piston like as you can get! Let's enjoy the ride and see where it leads

Plumlee - Stewart
Grant - Sekou (Blake)
Jackson - Bey
Hayes - Svi
Cade/Suggs - Lee

That'd be great to watch next season
JohnReese wrote:Keep an eye on the Nuggets situation. We might be able to take advantage of it at the right time. They have some assets we might be interested in.

Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#432 » by Piston Pete » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:02 pm

^^ Need to upgrade C ^^

Rose to Orlando (to fill in for injured Fultz) for Bamba would make sense for both teams.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,116

Post#433 » by The Moose » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:08 pm

Piston Pete wrote:^^ Need to upgrade C ^^

Rose to Orlando (to fill in for injured Fultz) for Bamba would make sense for both teams.

how is Bamba an upgrade over Plumlee
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#434 » by Piston Pete » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:30 pm

Now, he’s not.

Future, he might be

If we’re rebuilding, we need to accumulate young assets.
JohnReese
Senior
And1: 270

Post#435 » by JohnReese » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:38 pm

Pharaoh wrote:They're not going to trade Murray, Jokic or MPJ and I'm not interested in the rest.

IF Grant wanted to be there he would be.

He came here to prove something which is as Piston like as you can get! Let's enjoy the ride and see where it leads

Plumlee - Stewart
Grant - Sekou (Blake)
Jackson - Bey
Hayes - Svi
Cade/Suggs - Lee

That'd be great to watch next season
JohnReese wrote:Keep an eye on the Nuggets situation. We might be able to take advantage of it at the right time. They have some assets we might be interested in.

He has no say on his future. It will be Weaver's decision and to be honest I do not think he would be upset to be traded from the worst team in the league to a Playoff team.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,870

Post#436 » by MotownMadness » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:42 pm

Definitely need a good rim protector with Stewart as a backup
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#437 » by edmunder_prc » Sat Jan 9, 2021 2:49 am

Yeah its a team that thinks they should be in the playoffs, could go all in ( trade 1st round picks ) and then miss the playoffs out west.

Or just an injury to Jokic or Murray.

If Denver is adding a unprotected 1st round pick, I'd trade anything but Grant, Bey and Jackson. Possibly them too, depending on how many picks.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#438 » by vege » Sat Jan 9, 2021 2:58 am

The Moose wrote:

how is Bamba an upgrade over Plumlee

He is an upgrade over Stewart and a much better prospect.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#439 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:33 am

edmunder_prc wrote:

Yeah its a team that thinks they should be in the playoffs, could go all in ( trade 1st round picks ) and then miss the playoffs out west.

Or just an injury to Jokic or Murray.

If Denver is adding a unprotected 1st round pick, I'd trade anything but Grant, Bey and Jackson. Possibly them too, depending on how many picks.

Nah, you don't chase after your ex-girlfriend who left you to sleep with your ugly friend, that bridge is just too charred.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
GBanga3
Rookie
And1: 404

Post#440 » by GBanga3 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:45 am

I hate this narrative or talk of flipping Grant for assets. I'm stoked he is a Piston, the way he's playing and the fact that chose to come to us (albeit handsomely rewarded) has quickly made him my favorite Piston in a long time.

Plus what are the chances of any of these assets playing/being as good as Grant is? Pretty slim I'd imagine.

Such a weird fan base we are.

How about we sit back and enjoy that we may have finally done something right.
-Official #1 Australian Pistons Fan-

Return to Detroit Pistons