ImageImageImage

Ricky Rubio #9

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Ricky Rubio #9 

Post#1301 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 2, 2021 9:51 am

Charly wrote:Waiting for Rubio's trade...
What happens in this team is ridiculous.

Me too really. Sadly so.

This season should have been so differently had they just used their draft assets to draft solid two way forwards and or sign a FA as well for the role to complete an actual 1-3-1 roster instead of this 3-1-1 or 4-1 business.

I remember thinking the night of the Rubio move that this will change all previous plans, or they won't and this will usher the day when fans start to hate Rosas for being the second guy to trade him away.

He'd make a nice add to a playoff team, but there is is contract to deal with moving.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#1302 » by packforfreedom » Sat Jan 2, 2021 11:32 am

I'd trade Beasley over Rubio, start Dlo at the 2 and Edwards or Culver at 3.
Beasley might be an talented scorer but he brings nothing else. He plays with intensitiy but can't defend s**t and is not a good ball handler.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#1303 » by Sugarless » Sat Jan 2, 2021 11:53 am

packforfreedom wrote:I'd trade Beasley over Rubio, start Dlo at the 2 and Edwards or Culver at 3.
Beasley might be an talented scorer but he brings nothing else. He plays with intensitiy but can't defend s**t and is not a good ball handler.

I'll do you one better: trade 'Angelo who's not even as efficient scoring and can't / won't get to the rim or make an effort on defense like Beasley does despite his flaws, and bring in a starting level forward, cause this team has none. Good luck moving his 90M/3y contract, though, cause not even the Pistons (Hayes) or Magic (Fultz) would take him now.
Twolves1Fan
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#1304 » by Twolves1Fan » Sat Jan 2, 2021 1:09 pm

If we could get a solid starting PF by trading DLo I would do it yesterday. But you're right in that we would need to find a real sucker to take on that contract.
But alas, we know it won't happen cause it's Kat's buddy and Saunders is tight with those guys.

I hate feeling so negative this morning but I just watched the Wizards game from last night and I'm really aggravated at the moment!! :banghead:
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#1305 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:18 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Lastly, I appreciate that Rube spoke his peace here early on. He sees the warning signs and knows this has to be nipped in the butt or it will spin out of control. IMO he used his post-game comments to send a much needed message to the team in a very candid/professional way.
TheDominator273 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Jedzz the term is nipped in the bud. I don't think you want to nip anybody in the butt. :o
To each their own lol

I'm not so literal or observant. I generally understand what people are getting at and hope others can do the same for me when I mistype things. Which means I also can miss the fun mistakes.

Just wanted to make sure you knew the term. :D
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1306 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:31 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Just wanted to make sure you knew the term. :D

Why me? I didn't use it. get medz
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1307 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:58 pm

Sugarless wrote:
packforfreedom wrote:I'd trade Beasley over Rubio, start Dlo at the 2 and Edwards or Culver at 3.

I'll do you one better: trade 'Angelo who's not even as efficient scoring and can't / won't get to the rim or make an effort on defense like Beasley does despite his flaws, and bring in a starting level forward, cause this team has none. Good luck moving his 90M/3y contract, though, cause not even the Pistons (Hayes) or Magic (Fultz) would take him now.

I'll do you one better. Trade most the fan base in for a peanut. Then we might actually get salty pressure for accountability in the right place for once. Instead of the demands for corrections so off the mark from helping right now that is so commonplace.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#1308 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:31 pm

I think he should. And he actually deserves to be traded instead of wasting his prime years behind a guy like Dlo and in this franchise. I'm actually dissapointed with Rubio if is true that he talked with Rosas / Ryan before the trade and gladly accept a smaller role to come. I just don't get it why he would accept that after his best years and only with 30yo.

Anyway, Rubio is the second most loved Timberwolves player ever, there is no way Glen trades him to get assets unless he asks for.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1309 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:41 pm

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Just wanted to make sure you knew the term. :D

Why me? I didn't use it. get medz

oops. It was Dewey. Sorry. :oops:
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1310 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:43 pm

[quote="Twolves1Fan"]If we could get a solid starting PF by trading DLo I would do it yesterday. But you're right in that we would need to find a real sucker to take on that contract.
But alas, we know it won't happen cause it's Kat's buddy and Saunders is tight with those guys.

I hate feeling so negative this morning but I just watched the Wizards game from last night and I'm really aggravated at the moment!! :banghead:[/quote]
So you want to guarantee that we lose KAT?
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1311 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:52 pm

mercgold3 wrote:

I think he should. And he actually deserves to be traded instead of wasting his prime years behind a guy like Dlo and in this franchise. I'm actually dissapointed with Rubio if is true that he talked with Rosas / Ryan before the trade and gladly accept a smaller role to come. I just don't get it why he would accept that after his best years and only with 30yo.

Anyway, Rubio is the second most loved Timberwolves player ever, there is no way Glen trades him to get assets unless he asks for.

Will you do me a favor and admit whether you understand that Rubio is often playing PG when he and Dlo have played together?

Agree on Glen maybe not going to want to trade him away again. Unless it was partly his idea the first time.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#1312 » by Sugarless » Wed Jan 6, 2021 10:58 am

I don't know what the **** they're trying to run there with every freaking wing running plays that lead to TOs and awful shots while Rubio stays on the wing (*), but my draft night fears have been confirmed over and over. This trade was absurd for Minnesota and the worst thing that could happen to Rubio when he was coming off his best season and only getting better. If he doesn't get traded soon I don't think his career is ever going to be the same. This was a life altering move, a **** dreadful one, and with most teams now set at the PG position it'll be harder to turn things around every day.

A couple games ago I mentioned his time of possession and average dribbles per touch being career lows this season (by far). Same goes for his average dribbles per touch and his drives, which have always been his bread and butter. Just stay on the wing, run up and down along a bunch of headless chickens and try to do what you can to cover the plethora of holes that are created on defense with a group that is probably the most lacking in BBIQ and effort in the league. Then run again with them and maybe once in a while you can try to run a play while everyone else stands still, because once they run up the floor they don't know how to move without the ball (or with it). Pathetic asset management from Rosas and Saunders and some of the worst basketball I've watched in 30+ years.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,157

Post#1313 » by _AIJ_ » Wed Jan 6, 2021 1:25 pm

I love Rubio but how many missed wideopen layups has he had so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1314 » by Jedzz » Wed Jan 6, 2021 1:54 pm

Now some of you are finally seeing the results of Saunders/Rosas choices to want all guards/wings to be initiating so much. Now that it's also impacting Rubio you are starting to see it, because Rubio has a solid history of who he is and what he brings and the current system breaks who he is.

You didn't see it at first when the season started because they did Rubio a bit of a favor and allowed him to Start as the PG and I think most the guards gave him the respect to allow him to lead as point while he was out there. The same wasn't true for Dlo to start this season, as he was immediately slotted into the jumbalaya of wings, call it 2guard or 3guard or whatever you want. So in the first 1.75 games as far as I saw the team actually ran a closer to 1-3-1 while Rubio was playing. But even in the second game I noticecd it snowballing in a diferent direction. Edwards and Culver were instantly feeling more confident because they were being able to control the ball so much and that caused them to want to more often. The team wanted this apparently. Some of the fans ate this up as well. But it led to even less Dlo at PG moments and then in games since has now broken down Rubio at PG at times.

Even right now when it seemed the team might have realized a little and because of losses started to back off the Edwards/Culver initiating so much, now we see Beasley initiating possessions too. Because he's a competitive guy also and wants touches as well, and maybe some of the excitement of the extended responsibilities of initiating. Dlo was allowed in the third quarter of teh first Denver game to run Point by himself for a rotation and everyone instantly seemed to recognize a respectable, useful and competitive Dlo. That contrast from earlier being washed out to now being so effective was so strong it caused the team, fans all to notice. All of a sudden he's got some of that respect that Rubio started the season with while on court.

However, when this team feels even a little bit of adversity they are devolving to what the coaches seem to have been enabling since the start and that's everyone can initiate to save the world, and so they all try. Add to that the repeat runback mistake by Saunders of the rotation that includes Rubio/Dlo together that by itself takes a bit of both of them out of their best role. Throw in Beasley or Edwards or Culver with that two PG rotation who at this point are also trying to save the world and initiate it and you end up with a bunch of guys on and off ball who shouldnt be, a bunch of guys standing around, and whoever is initiating the offense often just ends up calling their own numbers because the defense can easily put a tag on everyone else just standing around when there isn't a plan for them.

I go back to Rubio's complaint a few days back that the team needs organized set plays prepared that includes knowing who the point should be to be utilized in moments where the team is breaking down.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1315 » by Jedzz » Wed Jan 6, 2021 1:58 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:I love Rubio but how many missed wideopen layups has he had so far?

No getting around it his shooting has turned sour.

But, go back to the start of the season and his shooting then. Compare to how Dlo was struggling on shots for a while.

I think it's clear that once we take players outside their best role and comfort zone we can expect their shooting to suffer.

5 point guards isn't winning a single thing.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#1316 » by urinesane » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:37 pm

There's zero flow or continuity to the offense. How Rubio is being used reminds me of the Adelman years where they took the ball out of his hands and made him much less effective.

Nothing looks smooth and it feels like no decision is automatic. He's back to hesitating on his shot and doesn't seem to have any confidence.

That's what you get when you force feed a system rather than have a core style and shape it to fit your roster.
Heimdal
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#1317 » by Heimdal » Wed Jan 6, 2021 7:30 pm

urinesane wrote:There's zero flow or continuity to the offense. How Rubio is being used reminds me of the Adelman years where they took the ball out of his hands and made him much less effective.

Nothing looks smooth and it feels like no decision is automatic. He's back to hesitating on his shot and doesn't seem to have any confidence.

That's what you get when you force feed a system rather than have a core style and shape it to fit your roster.

Exactly. Saunders couldn't have dealt with Rubio worse if he tried on purpose, and I called it as soon as I started reading he was going to be a back up. Add to the demotion, the expected lack of cohesion with new teammates, the messy rotations while Saunders tries to find the right units, the system which gives the green light to ill-advised shooting and places Rubio in a corner watching, KAT's injury, the so predictable multiple losses in a row. So here it is: from the best Rubio ever just months ago, to the worst Rubio in years.

Then, we wonder how players who look good for other teams play terrible as soon as they play for Minnesota. It starts with the guys who run the team.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#1318 » by shrink » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:47 am

LesGrossman wrote:
urinesane wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:Honestly i think Ricky has sacrificed in the past, hoping for development, and when it was finally there, he got traded for ... Jeff Teague. Sorry, and all the best. Now he comes back in his prime, he would be an impact player on literally every team in this league, from Lakers to Raptors, but what he gets is to play behind DLo in one of the worst franchises strength wise. Poor coaching, selfishness and disrespect in a year he cannot afford to waste imho. I think its in both sides' best interest to force a trade soon (because i have little faith into things turning around during this season).

It's been 4 games. Pump the breaks people.

Its not about the 4 games, its about congestion and preference on the PG position, and an alarming lack or absence of coaching. Unless D'Angelo injures himself this isnt going anywhere and i dont need 40 games to see it*. Its not only because i'm obviously a Ricky bandwagoner / stan but also because this is another wasted year of KAT, and how many more will he accept before demanding a trade because theres no improvement?

*another option would be replacing the coaching staff early in the season. Also quite unlikely scenario.

I read you loud and clear (wink).

I’ll pick up my pal Tonya Harding, and meet you at the Target Center parking garage at 8.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#1319 » by LesGrossman » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:54 am

LOL at the "I love Rubio" part when your last 10 posts or more were basically blaming everything on him including the team losing while he is on the bench.

Same old same old. Fingerpointing, scapegoating. You probably werent here for his first stint. The culprit is the coaching and team construction, lack of accountability for the "young stars" as in the best Wiggins / Towns days. Rubio is forced to play the exact opposite of the role he thrives in. He said he will stand back if - and thats a big if - its in the interest of the team, translating to "i will come off the bench if the alternative proves to be better". Which obviously isnt the case.

Best for both sides to get a trade done quick. I still ponder the idea of him going to Clippers or spurs. Especially the Clips lost because they had no real point guard. They need him and he needs them. Wolves don't. Or maybe they do, but i dont think he will make a big difference for teh outcome of this season.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#1320 » by Note30 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 1:57 am

LesGrossman wrote:

LOL at the "I love Rubio" part when your last 10 posts or more were basically blaming everything on him including the team losing while he is on the bench.

Same old same old. Fingerpointing, scapegoating. You probably werent here for his first stint. The culprit is the coaching and team construction, lack of accountability for the "young stars" as in the best Wiggins / Towns days. Rubio is forced to play the exact opposite of the role he thrives in. He said he will stand back if - and thats a big if - its in the interest of the team, translating to "i will come off the bench if the alternative proves to be better". Which obviously isnt the case.

Best for both sides to get a trade done quick. I still ponder the idea of him going to Clippers or spurs. Especially the Clips lost because they had no real point guard. They need him and he needs them. Wolves don't. Or maybe they do, but i dont think he will make a big difference for teh outcome of this season.

What would the trade even be?

Bev+filler for Rubio?
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves