G8: Wiz@76ers: 01/06/21 7PM

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,621

Re: G8: Wiz@76ers: 01/06/21 7PM 

Post#221 » by Mik317 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:17 am

If its fools gold, we will find out.

Until then you don't make drastic moves.

Doesn't seem like a Harden deal is happening anytime soon with The Nets losing Dinwiddie and thus needing the depth. The team is playing well. bad teams and all that jazz..but this was a game we lost in the previous years...and we only made it an issue because the young (and now even less deep) bench did what young and not deep benches do.

I have doubts that this is a championship winning squad as we rely heavy on shots falling....but we actually produce good looks consistently and everyone seems engaged as ****. Throwing a potential nuke into that seems unwise. We will know by the end of the month what this team really is. Freaking out after losses or close wins should not be a thing for bit lol.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#222 » by youngcrev » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:18 am

Black Mage wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Black Mage wrote:So, let me get this straight. We scored an insane 141.

Ben scored ONE extra point above his average. And we didn't use him to guard their hottest and best shooter.

Why are we so against trading him for Harden again???

This is just getting obnoxious at this point. The Sixers have best record in the league and we can't get off this? What were they gonna do with Harden? Score 142 instead? Worth noting that Ben actually outscored Harden tonight and you're calling him out.

Harden's a stud and a better player than Simmons will ever be... But Jesus, some people on this board gotta learn when to STFU

Really, you're going with the "look at our record!" argument? When we all know our schedule has been one of the easiest in the league? The big reason people on this board don't want to move Simmons is b/c he is a great defender, yet as we are getting smoked by Beal we didn't even attempt to shift Ben onto him. If Ben isn't going to be used to stop the hottest and best player on the opponent then what good is it to have his defense as opposed to having Harden.

Also, I didn't know that you stop trying to make your team the best it can be if you've got a good record. I'll just wait for you come come whining that we didn't make enough moves when we get swept by Boston again in the first round. :clap:

Ah yes, my future hypothetical whining vs your current actual whining.

Seriously dude, I don't give a **** if you want to trade Ben for Harden, it certainly has its merits. That's not what this is about. It's that it gets dragged into **** everything. To come in here and bitch in a game he goes 7-9 with 12 assists because he only scored a couple above his average (and again, he outscored Harden tonight) and because of a coaching decision to keep Green on Beal is **** ridiculous.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#223 » by Black Mage » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:31 am

youngcrev wrote:
Black Mage wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
This is just getting obnoxious at this point. The Sixers have best record in the league and we can't get off this? What were they gonna do with Harden? Score 142 instead? Worth noting that Ben actually outscored Harden tonight and you're calling him out.

Harden's a stud and a better player than Simmons will ever be... But Jesus, some people on this board gotta learn when to STFU

Really, you're going with the "look at our record!" argument? When we all know our schedule has been one of the easiest in the league? The big reason people on this board don't want to move Simmons is b/c he is a great defender, yet as we are getting smoked by Beal we didn't even attempt to shift Ben onto him. If Ben isn't going to be used to stop the hottest and best player on the opponent then what good is it to have his defense as opposed to having Harden.

Also, I didn't know that you stop trying to make your team the best it can be if you've got a good record. I'll just wait for you come come whining that we didn't make enough moves when we get swept by Boston again in the first round. :clap:

Ah yes, my future hypothetical whining vs your current actual whining.

Seriously dude, I don't give a **** if you want to trade Ben for Harden, it certainly has its merits. That's not what this is about. It's that it gets dragged into **** everything. To come in here and bitch in a game he goes 7-9 with 12 assists because he only scored a couple above his average (and again, he outscored Harden tonight) and because of a coaching decision to keep Green on Beal is **** ridiculous.

It was an observation made specifically about this game in this game thread. I also commented on another observation regarding Embiid's lazy screens. Where would you like me to post observations I have about the game other than in the game thread?

And using a cop out that Ben wasn't told to cover Beal is pathetic. The best team defender often ask or insists to cover the hot guy. The greater point I was making, that went right over your head, is if Doc and the team are not going to utilize Ben on the opponent's best offensive weapon then why worry about losing his defense in a Harden trade in the first place.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#224 » by youngcrev » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:34 am

Mik317 wrote:If its fools gold, we will find out.

Doesn't seem like a Harden deal is happening anytime soon with The Nets losing Dinwiddie and thus needing the depth. The team is playing well. bad teams and all that jazz..but this was a game we lost in the previous years...and we only made it an issue because the young (and now even less deep) bench did what young and not deep benches do.

I have doubts that this is a championship winning squad as we rely heavy on shots falling....but we actually produce good looks consistently and everyone seems engaged as ****. Throwing a potential nuke into that seems unwise. We will know by the end of the month what this team really is. Freaking out after losses or close wins should not be a thing for bit lol.

I think they look like legit contenders (not favorites, but probably in the top-5 or so right after the two LA teams, BK and Milwaukee). Embiid's playing at an MVP level now that things seem to have clicked with him in terms of recognizing double teams. There were a few plays tonight where Westbrook snuck over that would have been a turnover any other year that turned into wide open shots. Not sure if the lack of a go-to perimeter guy will do them in or not, but the defense (not so much tonight) and shooting might just be good enough to make a run if Jo can play at this level in the playoffs.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant

Post#225 » by Black Mage » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:34 am

Mik317 wrote:If its fools gold, we will find out.

A fair point, obviously we won't shoot 62% from 3 on most nights. It is concerning tho that we didn't seem to make any significant moves to curb Beal. Even Brett would do the every guy gets a turn to see if one of them can slow him down a bit.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#226 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:37 am

Even though Beal was going nuts, he's 6'3" on a good day. Green was really the best bet on him, Ben chasing him around at that point would've been useless. Besides he did go cold in the 4th anyway.

Harden could come, who knows, I just hope its a good deal instead of giving away all our young depth again if it happens. One thing is for sure, Ben hasn't shown anything has changed with him, and come playoff time we could be looking at a rerun. But I'm going to try to worry about now, and as of right now, they look really good when the shots are falling.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,770

Post#227 » by Skates » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:39 am

I love Dwight’s enthusiasm and attitude, but honestly he has pretty much been one of the bench problems. Incessant fouls, TO’s, some solid D, no real offense and of course the FTs. Our bench get needs to be a scoring or shooting big that can play positions 3-5 with defense good enough to be a positive on that end. Dwight is an energy guy with experience at this point, great to have in the team but overall a net negative as a player.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#228 » by Simmons25 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:40 am

Black Mage wrote:So, let me get this straight. We scored an insane 141.

Ben scored ONE extra point above his average. And we didn't use him to guard their hottest and best shooter.

Why are we so against trading him for Harden again???

If Brett Brown had been that stubborn... he would have been roundly condemned. The knock on Doc Rivers was that he doesn't make changes when he needs to. He is yet to win me over as a coach. Daryl Morey is the reason for the improvement so far... not Rivers.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#229 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:46 am

Skates wrote:I love Dwight’s enthusiasm and attitude, but honestly he has pretty much been one of the bench problems. Incessant fouls, TO’s, some solid D, no real offense and of course the FTs. Our bench get needs to be a scoring or shooting big that can play positions 3-5 with defense good enough to be a positive on that end. Dwight is an energy guy with experience at this point, great to have in the team but overall a net negative as a player.

I think not having Scott and Furkan is hurting his effectiveness. They're generally playing 2 of Maxey/Ben/Thybulle and that's too many non-spacers around a guy like him.

Definitely would be nice to have a stretch 5 to go to as an alternative.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant

Post#230 » by Black Mage » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:03 am

ivysixer2000 wrote:Even though Beal was going nuts, he's 6'3" on a good day. Green was really the best bet on him, Ben chasing him around at that point would've been useless. Besides he did go cold in the 4th anyway.

Harden could come, who knows, I just hope its a good deal instead of giving away all our young depth again if it happens. One thing is for sure, Ben hasn't shown anything has changed with him, and come playoff time we could be looking at a rerun. But I'm going to try to worry about now, and as of right now, they look really good when the shots are falling.

Would it have hurt to stick Ben on him to start the 3rd, at least try to get get him out of rhythm? You don't have to stick Ben on him all night, but you could have come out and said, Ben lock him down for the first 5 mins, demoralize them and put the foot on the throat so we can rest you guys in the 4th.

Instead, they got back into it and we ended up clawing out a win while having to use our guys in heavy minutes as we go into a brutal stretch of games.

::EDIT:: If you have an asset but don't use it, it's not really an asset at that point.
6ers83
Senior
And1: 195

Post#231 » by 6ers83 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:04 am

I think Beal was trying to say to the Sixers ....

Please trade for me - I’ll help you win a title!!
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,336

Post#232 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:18 am

Black Mage wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:Even though Beal was going nuts, he's 6'3" on a good day. Green was really the best bet on him, Ben chasing him around at that point would've been useless. Besides he did go cold in the 4th anyway.

Would it have hurt to stick Ben on him to start the 3rd, at least try to get get him out of rhythm? You don't have to stick Ben on him all night, but you could have come out and said, Ben lock him down for the first 5 mins, demoralize them and put the foot on the throat so we can rest you guys in the 4th.

Instead, they got back into it and we ended up clawing out a win while having to use our guys in heavy minutes as we go into a brutal stretch of games.

::EDIT:: If you have an asset but don't use it, it's not really an asset at that point.

To some extent, this is why defense is important but nowhere as important as offense.

Did beal get his points off ISO? No. He’s getting them off screens, and his defender is just getting erased.

Ben is on RW, because RW also can score and he has to chase RW to limit his transition. If Doc put Ben on Beal, Beal will still get his points then also worry about RW doing his damage on transition.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ConstableChaos
Junior
And1: 205

Post#233 » by ConstableChaos » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:23 am

Reckon Simmons starts on irving tomorrow?
Skates
Head Coach

Post#234 » by Skates » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:32 am

The real run wasn’t Beal, it was the Wiz pressuring on D, Ish Smith playing out of his mind and Bertrand burying insanely deep threes, plus Robin Lopez getting some of the most ridiculous calls to go his way on both ends, including fouls he committed on Simmons, twice in Howard and a couple of blatant travels that weren’t called. That was when the lead evaporated and I got the feeling Doc wanted to see how they handled things and was confident they could weather them storm and take the game once Curry and Embiid came back.

Last year we lost this game.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,685

Post#235 » by 76thBearCub » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:45 am

Yea this was a loss last season. I understand people saying put Simmons on Beal, but he was cooking and making a lot of tough shots. Not like he was abusing a particular weak defender.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#236 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:48 am

ConstableChaos wrote:Reckon Simmons starts on irving tomorrow?

Yes. Ben will always guard the fastest player.

Ben is in charge of transition defense and transition offense.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#237 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:15 am

Thomas Bryant and Russell Westbrook dont like each other.

Westbrook gambles a lot. Thomas Bryant has poor basketball IQ, unlike a guy like Steven Adams, his rotations are always bad.

Westbrook’s style of defense and Bryant’s poor basketball IQ is why the Wiz is one of the league’s worst defensive teams.
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#238 » by syntax » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:16 am

Ben is blocking more shots and getting more rebounds fyi.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,760

Post#239 » by XtremeDunkz » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:28 am

Skates wrote:I love Dwight’s enthusiasm and attitude, but honestly he has pretty much been one of the bench problems. Incessant fouls, TO’s, some solid D, no real offense and of course the FTs. Our bench get needs to be a scoring or shooting big that can play positions 3-5 with defense good enough to be a positive on that end. Dwight is an energy guy with experience at this point, great to have in the team but overall a net negative as a player.
Go watch reruns of Greg Monroe, Boban, Horford, and Kyle O'Quinn. Howard is such a huge step up from anything we've had behind Joel.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Skates
Head Coach

Post#240 » by Skates » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:49 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:
Go watch reruns of Greg Monroe, Boban, Horford, and Kyle O'Quinn. Howard is such a huge step up from anything we've had behind Joel.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No doubt or argument there, but he is a limited 15-17 mpg energy guy who I love, but need to have a much better Mike Scott next to him in that bench lineup or he is overexposed. He isn’t better than Horford, but Al was a starter and terrible team fit. O’Quinn was actually pretty good, but every time he had a good game Brown wouldn’t play him for two weeks. I’m not dissing Dwight, just recognizing that his biggest contribution may not be his on the court play right now.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers