G8: Wiz@76ers: 01/06/21 7PM

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Dnt hate
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Re: G8: Wiz@76ers: 01/06/21 7PM 

Post#241 » by Dnt hate » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:04 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:
Skates wrote:I love Dwight’s enthusiasm and attitude, but honestly he has pretty much been one of the bench problems. Incessant fouls, TO’s, some solid D, no real offense and of course the FTs. Our bench get needs to be a scoring or shooting big that can play positions 3-5 with defense good enough to be a positive on that end. Dwight is an energy guy with experience at this point, great to have in the team but overall a net negative as a player.
Go watch reruns of Greg Monroe, Boban, Horford, and Kyle O'Quinn. Howard is such a huge step up from anything we've had behind Joel.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#242 » by Jhawk03 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:08 am

Skates wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:
Skates wrote:I love Dwight’s enthusiasm and attitude, but honestly he has pretty much been one of the bench problems. Incessant fouls, TO’s, some solid D, no real offense and of course the FTs. Our bench get needs to be a scoring or shooting big that can play positions 3-5 with defense good enough to be a positive on that end. Dwight is an energy guy with experience at this point, great to have in the team but overall a net negative as a player.
Go watch reruns of Greg Monroe, Boban, Horford, and Kyle O'Quinn. Howard is such a huge step up from anything we've had behind Joel.

No doubt or argument there, but he is a limited 15-17 mpg energy guy who I love, but need to have a much better Mike Scott next to him in that bench lineup or he is overexposed. He isn’t better than Horford, but Al was a starter and terrible team fit. O’Quinn was actually pretty good, but every time he had a good game Brown wouldn’t play him for two weeks. I’m not dissing Dwight, just recognizing that his biggest contribution may not be his on the court play right now.

I'll add that a lot of the criticism of stuff like bad incessant fouls or the energy he brings having a somewhat negative impact, will be erased come playoff time. Like it or not he's a vet. He learned a lot from the title run in the bubble. He may in fact be the best thing to a backup for Embiid we've seen in the playoffs. I do agree though that he looks much better playing with Scott or whoever can space the floor a bit for him.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,157

Post#243 » by M2J » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:38 am

76ciology wrote:
Black Mage wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:Even though Beal was going nuts, he's 6'3" on a good day. Green was really the best bet on him, Ben chasing him around at that point would've been useless. Besides he did go cold in the 4th anyway.

Harden could come, who knows, I just hope its a good deal instead of giving away all our young depth again if it happens. One thing is for sure, Ben hasn't shown anything has changed with him, and come playoff time we could be looking at a rerun. But I'm going to try to worry about now, and as of right now, they look really good when the shots are falling.

Would it have hurt to stick Ben on him to start the 3rd, at least try to get get him out of rhythm? You don't have to stick Ben on him all night, but you could have come out and said, Ben lock him down for the first 5 mins, demoralize them and put the foot on the throat so we can rest you guys in the 4th.

Instead, they got back into it and we ended up clawing out a win while having to use our guys in heavy minutes as we go into a brutal stretch of games.

::EDIT:: If you have an asset but don't use it, it's not really an asset at that point.

To some extent, this is why defense is important but nowhere as important as offense.

Did beal get his points off ISO? No. He’s getting them off screens, and his defender is just getting erased.

Ben is on RW, because RW also can score and he has to chase RW to limit his transition. If Doc put Ben on Beal, Beal will still get his points then also worry about RW doing his damage on transition.

Exactly, keep Ben on Russ to prevent him from going crazy too. But furthermore, they were up 15 -20 points basically the whole game. So why make that change? When it seems like a blow out the day before a bigger game. The bench at the end of the 3rd going into the 4th gave up the lead. Doc makes adjustments on the pick and roll, and Beal goes quiet.

It wasn't a point that should've been brought up, along with Ben's point total to try and prove a very ignorant point considering that person failed to acknowledge his 12 assist and that additional contribution in the high scoring game.

I will say that you gotta feel better and better about how they close out tight games. It just seems like they've got an understanding of generating good offense, and Seth is proving to be a stud... Joel carries everything, and Ben finds his spots to be effective with the two buckets (the big one looking for contact) and Ben posted turning into a good shot for Joel along with 2 other assists to shooters. Tobias.... we'll see
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#244 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:56 am

M2J wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Black Mage wrote:
Would it have hurt to stick Ben on him to start the 3rd, at least try to get get him out of rhythm? You don't have to stick Ben on him all night, but you could have come out and said, Ben lock him down for the first 5 mins, demoralize them and put the foot on the throat so we can rest you guys in the 4th.

Instead, they got back into it and we ended up clawing out a win while having to use our guys in heavy minutes as we go into a brutal stretch of games.

::EDIT:: If you have an asset but don't use it, it's not really an asset at that point.

To some extent, this is why defense is important but nowhere as important as offense.

Did beal get his points off ISO? No. He’s getting them off screens, and his defender is just getting erased.

Ben is on RW, because RW also can score and he has to chase RW to limit his transition. If Doc put Ben on Beal, Beal will still get his points then also worry about RW doing his damage on transition.

Exactly, keep Ben on Russ to prevent him from going crazy too. But furthermore, they were up 15 -20 points basically the whole game. So why make that change? When it seems like a blow out the day before a bigger game. The bench at the end of the 3rd going into the 4th gave up the lead. Doc makes adjustments on the pick and roll, and Beal goes quiet.

It wasn't a point that should've been brought up, along with Ben's point total to try and prove a very ignorant point considering that person failed to acknowledge his 12 assist and that additional contribution in the high scoring game.

I will say that you gotta feel better and better about how they close out tight games. It just seems like they've got an understanding of generating good offense, and Seth is proving to be a stud... Joel carries everything, and Ben finds his spots to be effective with the two buckets (the big one looking for contact) and Ben posted turning into a good shot for Joel along with 2 other assists to shooters. Tobias.... we'll see

Doc has our guys playing their right roles. And this leads them into the right positions to excel.

The biggest thing IMO is how Doc has asked Biid and Ben to change their game. Biid has been forcing it less inside and been shooting more. Ben has took a lesser role on halfcourt offense and letting the perimeter scorers like Seth, Milton and Tobi make more plays. A large part is because of the pick and rolls, which Brett is allergic with.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#245 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:57 am

Dnt hate wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:

D12 also gets respect from the refs. I feel like he should get called for an offensive foul every possession :lol:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,004

Post#246 » by eyeatoma » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:01 am

76ciology wrote:Thomas Bryant and Russell Westbrook dont like each other.

Westbrook gambles a lot. Thomas Bryant has poor basketball IQ, unlike a guy like Steven Adams, his rotations are always bad.

Westbrook’s style of defense and Bryant’s poor basketball IQ is why the Wiz is one of the league’s worst defensive teams.

You have an article or source for that, or is that just what you think?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#247 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:23 am

eyeatoma wrote:

Westbrook gambles a lot. Thomas Bryant has poor basketball IQ, unlike a guy like Steven Adams, his rotations are always bad.

Westbrook’s style of defense and Bryant’s poor basketball IQ is why the Wiz is one of the league’s worst defensive teams.

It’s just i think. I can post the clips, if you want.

You can start on our first game down this reg season, down the stretch we run a PnR where the miscommunication lead to that open look for Ben.

But then RW’s face is maybe just too emotional but you can see him disgusted on Thomas Bryant on defense.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 409

Post#248 » by Zumramania » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:28 am

Simmons25 wrote:
Black Mage wrote:So, let me get this straight. We scored an insane 141.

Ben scored ONE extra point above his average. And we didn't use him to guard their hottest and best shooter.

Why are we so against trading him for Harden again???

If Brett Brown had been that stubborn... he would have been roundly condemned. The knock on Doc Rivers was that he doesn't make changes when he needs to. He is yet to win me over as a coach. Daryl Morey is the reason for the improvement so far... not Rivers.

This is what I'm afraid of...Doc might get outcoached in the playoffs. Hopefully our assistant coaches will help.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#249 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:30 am

76ciology wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

It’s just i think. I can post the clips, if you want.

You can start on our first game down this reg season, down the stretch we run a PnR where the miscommunication lead to that open look for Ben.

But then RW’s face is maybe just too emotional but you can see him disgusted on Thomas Bryant on defense.

Read on Twitter

This possession for today’s game for miscommunication
Young22
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#250 » by Young22 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 10:18 am

76ciology wrote:
Black Mage wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:Even though Beal was going nuts, he's 6'3" on a good day. Green was really the best bet on him, Ben chasing him around at that point would've been useless. Besides he did go cold in the 4th anyway.

Harden could come, who knows, I just hope its a good deal instead of giving away all our young depth again if it happens. One thing is for sure, Ben hasn't shown anything has changed with him, and come playoff time we could be looking at a rerun. But I'm going to try to worry about now, and as of right now, they look really good when the shots are falling.

Brett guys, don’t understand what they’re watching, and waiting for a chance to say “see it wasn’t Brett” lol I get a kick out of these guys.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#251 » by Simmons25 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 11:00 am

Young22 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Black Mage wrote:

Brett guys, don’t understand what they’re watching, and waiting for a chance to say “see it wasn’t Brett” lol I get a kick out of these guys.

You don't have to be a "Brett guy" to understand that he got us to within a dodgy bounce of a ball to the Eastern Conference finals 18 months ago... and that last year he was career murdered by a GM that cobbled together one of the worst fitting starting 5's I've ever seen. It would have been very interesting to have seen how he would have gone coaching this starting 5 but we will never know.
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 484

Post#252 » by Stribor » Thu Jan 7, 2021 11:47 am

Simmons25 wrote:
Young22 wrote:
76ciology wrote:

You don't have to be a "Brett guy" to understand that he got us to within a dodgy bounce of a ball to the Eastern Conference finals 18 months ago... and that last year he was career murdered by a GM that cobbled together one of the worst fitting starting 5's I've ever seen. It would have been very interesting to have seen how he would have gone coaching this starting 5 but we will never know.

Whatever happened is the water under the bridge. Be it cleverly constructed team or the coach, it works. I am happy (and think both things helped).
Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,383

Post#253 » by Hussien Fatal » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:35 pm

Young22 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Black Mage wrote:

Admittedly I was a Brett guy. Also admittedly he wasn’t a bad coach he just wasn’t a good coach either. He was a mid packed coach who wasn’t good enough to coach this good of talent.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#254 » by phillynative » Thu Jan 7, 2021 1:25 pm

Tied for rebounds at 35. We are a bigger team with two rebounding centers no reason for that
Despite shooting the ball well the sixers were lacking defensively all game.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#255 » by phillynative » Thu Jan 7, 2021 1:30 pm

I wonder what Doc will say about the sixers getting cooked by Beal.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,043

Post#256 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:09 pm

With Beal only having 3 points in the 4th, are we saying Doc made an adjustment at that point, or that guys started actually guarding him/Beal cooled off on his own? If it’s the latter, isn’t that a sign that you don’t necessarily need to completely change your defensive strategy on a random Wednesday night in January when you’re playing with a lead? (Through 3 they were up 10). I wouldn’t have had an issue with switching Ben on him but Beal also isn’t Willie Burton sometimes a great player is just gonna go off.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#257 » by Black Mage » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:46 pm

Young22 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Black Mage wrote:

If you thought I was a Brett guy, let me clarify, I wanted Brett gone and voiced that view last year.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#258 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:52 pm

There was a point where Beal was getting to the line at will. We might as well let Thybulle and Green get called for those fouls heading into crunchtime rather than Ben, who ended the game with 5 fouls. As Sixerscan said, sometimes great scorer are just going to go off. The key is to limit the other players, which we ended up doing.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#259 » by phillynative » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:55 pm

Beal may have only had 3 pts (lol) in the fourth qt but he had already rallied his team back in to the game after scoring over 50pts 3 qts through. There was still a chance for the wizards to win even though he obviously cooled off because of his scoring explosion , his teammates gained confidence. He was able to get his shot off all game, theres no reason to think (because we still have no closer) the sixers couldnt have had a couple of more turnovers and missed shots down the stretch while beal made another shot or two to get the wiz to a win.

The sixers dont have the peremiter scorer to go back and forth , shot for shot with an opposing teams scorer. The sixers score by running the ball through the post to create open 3s and fastbreak, ball movement. Also having great defenders. Thats why its a little bothersome that he was allowed or able to go off the way he did with 3 top notch peremiter defenders and interior defenders.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,016

Post#260 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:04 pm

Black Mage wrote:

I think you are saying it here like Ben has to be some kind of magical blanket that he has to have to put on a hot opponent, and if he doesn't, he's worthless so trade him for Harden. That's just not how the game works, could've put Ben on him and still not 'lock him down' at that point, so immediately trade Ben?

Danny Green isn't a bad defender, and at a similar size was a good matchup with Beal. The Brett "throw everything including the kitchen sink' theory can work, but it can also blow up in your face. There are plenty of games where coaches let one player go off but still win the game, as we did in this one.

No reason to second guess it, not like Green is a horrible defender. Green will probably be defending alot of smaller guards this year, he doesn't usually do a horrible job, so its something we will have to deal with.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers