ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! – (Re-signed: 4yrs/$30M)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! 

Post#321 » by Ill News » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:19 am

The GOAAAAAAT

FastPPPPPPPPPP

Love this kid, and I'm delighted to have been proven wrong for hating this pick on draft night. We've got ourselves a keeper, folks.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#322 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:40 am

It’s almost like the people on draft night who hated the pick and thought he sucked had never actually seen him play...
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#323 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:44 am

I saw him play and hated the pick and I was absolutely wrong. No sweat off my balls. I love being wrong as long as the Celtics prosper
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,072

Post#324 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:57 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:It’s almost like the people on draft night who hated the pick and thought he sucked had never actually seen him play...

yall are being too hard on people, mostly everyone wanted 10 different players, love can blind. he was our pick, gotta get over it but it wasn't that many people trashing him after watching film. most people didn't even know him before the draft and no one on the board mentioned him before that from what i remember. I never bashed him but I wanted other players because I saw them all offseason, never heard of Pritch.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,932

Post#325 » by Joshyjess » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:04 am

PAYDAY!!!! PAYDAY!!!! PAYDAY!!!
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,505

Post#326 » by VeryMuchWoke » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:12 am

I hear a lot of talk about his defensive limitations, but he seems average at worst on that end, which for a rookie is quite good. Do people just assume he was going to be a poor defender because he's white?
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#327 » by Justin33 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:19 am

Tonight's highlights
;ab_channel=RisingHighlights
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#328 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:33 am

Perfect time to land an epic pick, well done staff
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,681

Post#329 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:21 am

VeryMuchWoke wrote:I hear a lot of talk about his defensive limitations, but he seems average at worst on that end, which for a rookie is quite good. Do people just assume he was going to be a poor defender because he's white?

Not literally because he is white, but because he also seems to have a typically white set of run/jump/twitch talents.

In reality, he seems to start moving in the right direction earlier than a normal black or white guy would, so he might get there just as quickly as somebody else can.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,378

Post#330 » by robbie84 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 11:21 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
VeryMuchWoke wrote:I hear a lot of talk about his defensive limitations, but he seems average at worst on that end, which for a rookie is quite good. Do people just assume he was going to be a poor defender because he's white?

Not literally because he is white, but because he also seems to have a typically white set of run/jump/twitch talents.

In reality, he seems to start moving in the right direction earlier than a normal black or white guy would, so he might get there just as quickly as somebody else can.

Like Doncic, or IT, he's had to develop a craftiness and instincts that come when his size or average athleticism compete vs elite athletes.

He reminds me of JJ Barea.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#331 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:13 pm

Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#332 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:17 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:It’s almost like the people on draft night who hated the pick and thought he sucked had never actually seen him play...

I liked what I saw, thought we could've picked him a tad later, tho. Doubt he was going to be a first rounder, regardless of how he looks right now.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,910

Post#333 » by Parliament10 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:15 pm

Copied from Game Thread:

Payton Pritchard saves Celtics from embarrassing collapse vs. Heat with game-winning putback layup
By Sam Quinn | 01-06-21

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/payton-pritchard-saves-celtics-from-embarrassing-collapse-vs-heat-with-game-winning-putback-layup/
Payton Pritchard has been inconsistent in his first nine NBA games. Most rookies are. The highs are dazzling, such as a 23-point outing against the Toronto Raptors. The lows are, well, low, such as his scoreless effort against the Detroit Pistons earlier in the season. But on Wednesday, he showed the basketball world why the Celtics are excited about his future by saving them from one of the worst collapses in recent NBA history.

With 1:17 remaining on the clock against the Miami Heat, the Celtics led 105-95. At that moment, the Celtics had a 98.1 percent chance to win, according to ESPN's win probability metric. Things went fully off of the rails from there. Duncan Robinson hit a 3-pointer. Jayson Tatum missed a shot. Duncan Robinson got fouled on another made 3-pointer and proceeded to make the free-throw. Miami got yet another stop. Goran Dragic hit a 3-pointer. Tie game. Marcus Smart misses a layup, and just like that, we're going to overtime thanks to 77 of the worst seconds of basketball any team could play.

Or are we? Sneaking in behind the play, Pritchard managed to get into the lane, secure the offensive rebound and attempt the game-winning layup in the air before the buzzer sounded. It was successful. Celtics 107, Heat 105. Boston wins.

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#334 » by 24istheLAW » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:06 pm

It's obviously in the spotlight because of the tip in, but he has a knack for following up his own misses.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#335 » by sam_I_am » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:25 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Copied from Game Thread:

Payton Pritchard saves Celtics from embarrassing collapse vs. Heat with game-winning putback layup
By Sam Quinn | 01-06-21

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/payton-pritchard-saves-celtics-from-embarrassing-collapse-vs-heat-with-game-winning-putback-layup/
Payton Pritchard has been inconsistent in his first nine NBA games. Most rookies are. The highs are dazzling, such as a 23-point outing against the Toronto Raptors. The lows are, well, low, such as his scoreless effort against the Detroit Pistons earlier in the season. But on Wednesday, he showed the basketball world why the Celtics are excited about his future by saving them from one of the worst collapses in recent NBA history.

With 1:17 remaining on the clock against the Miami Heat, the Celtics led 105-95. At that moment, the Celtics had a 98.1 percent chance to win, according to ESPN's win probability metric. Things went fully off of the rails from there. Duncan Robinson hit a 3-pointer. Jayson Tatum missed a shot. Duncan Robinson got fouled on another made 3-pointer and proceeded to make the free-throw. Miami got yet another stop. Goran Dragic hit a 3-pointer. Tie game. Marcus Smart misses a layup, and just like that, we're going to overtime thanks to 77 of the worst seconds of basketball any team could play.

Or are we? Sneaking in behind the play, Pritchard managed to get into the lane, secure the offensive rebound and attempt the game-winning layup in the air before the buzzer sounded. It was successful. Celtics 107, Heat 105. Boston wins.

Cant say enough about the veteran leadership you can see in that photo from TT. He was a great off season signing. When you have a rookie talent like PP who is being asked to contribute at a championship level earlier than it may be fair to ask....this goes a long way to building his confidence. It helps to have a big brother who has your back. Reminds me of KG and Rondo (second year) and even Marcus Morris and Tatum his rookie year.
GreenFor3
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#336 » by GreenFor3 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:09 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:

I liked what I saw, thought we could've picked him a tad later, tho. Doubt he was going to be a first rounder, regardless of how he looks right now.

It was reported that he had a first round promise.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,868

Post#337 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:27 pm

Someone on the Heat forgot to box out. That's how games are lost.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,072

Post#338 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:54 pm

Nope. How many PGs are good on defense? How many come in good? I told you, I saw that run and I was concerned. I was so excited by his perimeter defense BUT the initial video I saw was his highlights, I had to search to even know there was a longer less edited version, he got taken to school down low like he wasn't there! It immediately wiped out all the highlights I had seen because this was him vs. NBA players. Reminded me of IT4 and Kemba in the playoffs.

Race crosses my mind a lot, I'm black, in America. It never crossed my mind in relation to Payton's defense!
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Dave_From_NB
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#339 » by Dave_From_NB » Thu Jan 7, 2021 10:37 pm

Was on the road today, so may have missed it. Have we signed him to a 10 year contract extension yet?
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#340 » by Wes-J » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:00 am

Considering Bane (not a Nesmith fan) and Terry was there, I hated the Pritchard pick. Hell I even thought we should of traded up to grab Hampton with that 2nd selection. The more I learned about him I could see what Ainge saw in the kid and that experience factor.

Most happy to be wrong.

I thought any one of Bey, Williams, or Vassell would of been a home run @14.

Return to Boston Celtics