ImageImageImage

Tom Thibodeau

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Who Would You Rather have as Wolves Coach?

Tom Thibodeau
39%
Ryan Saunders
61%

Total votes: 38

urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Re: Tom Thibodeau 

Post#41 » by urinesane » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:31 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

The Knicks are 5-3 while the Saunders led Wolves are 2-5

Strange what having competent PF play can do for a team...
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#42 » by urinesane » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:33 pm

flyindutchman wrote:How is this even up for debate? If you take the GM aspect out of it, one has a proven track record as a coach, the other has a proven track record of being a son.

You don't have to use hyperbolic statements to make your point. One has a proven track record as a head coach, the other has a track record of being a decent assistant coach.

Not everyone can make the jump and take the reigns successfully, doesn't mean you should minimize Ryan's career to being the coaches son forever.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#43 » by Killboard » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:46 pm

Are Randle/Barret legs exploded yet?

Fine, keep giving them 40 MPG.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#44 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:07 pm

urinesane wrote:
flyindutchman wrote:How is this even up for debate? If you take the GM aspect out of it, one has a proven track record as a coach, the other has a proven track record of being a son.

You don't have to use hyperbolic statements to make your point. One has a proven track record as a head coach, the other has a track record of being a decent assistant coach.

Not everyone can make the jump and take the reigns successfully, doesn't mean you should minimize Ryan's career to being the coaches son forever.

Not all assistant coaches are alike. The assistant coaches that get head coaching jobs are almost always the lead assistant for a winning program. This is the right hand man to the head coach. Ryan was never a lead assistant. He was more like a ball boy or gopher (exaggeration). He did not have credentials to be a HC in the NBA.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#45 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:16 pm

Ryan is a good coach to have for a guy like Rosas. He's the youngest coach in the NBA, doesn't have any power in the decisions.

Probably does what Rosas tell him.

Is so unfair to judge him on so many things. Starting from the most important one, the quality that Thibs had and Ryan has.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,674

Post#46 » by Domejandro » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:18 pm

I wish Towns didn't get injured, because people are blaming the coaching staff for losses, when their biggest crime is coaching a team that is not talented enough in its current state.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#47 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 7, 2021 10:10 pm

Domejandro wrote:I wish Towns didn't get injured, because people are blaming the coaching staff for losses, when their biggest crime is coaching a team that is not talented enough in its current state.

Well, someone pushed out the prior guy claiming they could do better. An undertow of pressure from people that knew better. Here were are, still sucking years later. I agree, Towns being out is a major problem. So is not having a backup plan that can win even a single game.

Hopefully they can win tonight to stop the spiral and we all get a little positive bump for once.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#48 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 7, 2021 10:19 pm

Thibs to sign Gibson reported at realGM. He's getting the band back together again.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by urinesane » Thu Jan 7, 2021 11:47 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
urinesane wrote:

Not all assistant coaches are alike. The assistant coaches that get head coaching jobs are almost always the lead assistant for a winning program. This is the right hand man to the head coach. Ryan was never a lead assistant. He was more like a ball boy or gopher (exaggeration). He did not have credentials to be a HC in the NBA.

So you're agreeing with my post? We are saying the same thing, you two are just being insulting and inaccurate. Ryan was not a glorified ball boy or gopher, he was praised for his work in analytics and building systems around those. That doesn't mean he should be a high level assistant coach or an NBA head coach, but it also doesn't mean you should act like he's done nothing in his career to emphasize your point (it just makes it look more forced and emotional). Yes, you said it was an exaggeration, but that's exactly what I was arguing against in the post I replied to...so I can't really ignore it here.

Should Ryan have turned down the opportunity? If Glen Taylor offered to pay any of us 800k to coach the Wolves, would we turn it down because we aren't qualified? Hell no! Get that money and don't be mad at someone for taking an opportunity that presented itself, regardless of how fair you think it is (has life or the NBA ever been fair?).

Blame Taylor if you want, but it's not Ryan's fault that he got a chance to do something he wasn't ready for (and may never be). Saying he only has a track record of "being a son" (which is what my original reply was about) isn't necessary to discuss Ryan Saunder's shortcomings as a coach.

To be fair though... it's not like he inherited a good team and drove it into the ground. You'd have to be a pretty experienced and high skilled head coach to get success out of the rosters Ryan has had to work with. Thibs would probably get more wins out of these teams, but they'd still have been bad teams.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#50 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 7, 2021 11:53 pm

Killboard wrote:Are Randle/Barret legs exploded yet?

Fine, keep giving them 40 MPG.

To be honest that was one of my regular complaints about him while coaching here, connecting that dot to all the little injuries and big ones.

But perspective comes with time and finding out this team hasn't been any healthier since playing guys with a limit around 30. I suppose this season has been ok outside of Town's injury.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#51 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:01 am

urinesane wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
urinesane wrote:

So you're agreeing with my post? We are saying the same thing, you two are just being insulting and inaccurate. Ryan was not a glorified ball boy or gopher, he was praised for his work in analytics and building systems around those. That doesn't mean he should be a high level assistant coach or an NBA head coach, but it also doesn't mean you should act like he's done nothing in his career to emphasize your point (it just makes it look more forced and emotional). Yes, you said it was an exaggeration, but that's exactly what I was arguing against in the post I replied to...so I can't really ignore it here.

Should Ryan have turned down the opportunity? If Glen Taylor offered to pay any of us 800k to coach the Wolves, would we turn it down because we aren't qualified? Hell no! Get that money and don't be mad at someone for taking an opportunity that presented itself, regardless of how fair you think it is (has life or the NBA ever been fair?).

Blame Taylor if you want, but it's not Ryan's fault that he got a chance to do something he wasn't ready for (and may never be). Saying he only has a track record of "being a son" (which is what my original reply was about) isn't necessary to discuss Ryan Saunder's shortcomings as a coach.

To be fair though... it's not like he inherited a good team and drove it into the ground. You'd have to be a pretty experienced and high skilled head coach to get success out of the rosters Ryan has had to work with. Thibs would probably get more wins out of these teams, but they'd still have been bad teams.

I agree with what you say here. Ryan is not to be blamed. He's doing the best he can. Taylor hiring him as interim might have been OK. It's when Rosas hired him to a multi year contract that I was very disappointed.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#52 » by minimus » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:59 am

Jedzz wrote:Thibs to sign Gibson reported at realGM. He's getting the band back together again.

Does everyone miss Omari Spellman?
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#53 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:29 am

Thibs effect is gone lol
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#54 » by minimus » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:56 am