ImageImageImageImageImage

Julius Randle: Should we pick up his 2021-2 Team option

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,639

Re: Julius Randle: Retain him for 4 million 

Post#221 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:23 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:With us having a team option for 4 million next year it may end up that we retain him as a below cost attraction to show fans that they won't be alone.

He is learning what it is to be a first option and no longer seems to be caught up in justifying his contract like he was last year.

I liked Randle's game as a Laker and a Pelican. And now that he isn't trying g to be Kobe maybe it is for the best he sticks around.

I also want to see this board if it turns out Mills was right. (Which I think he was with Randle)

Thoughts on the maturing Randle?

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

Even if Randle pans out its not enough to redeem Mills. Too many bad moves. He was horrible.

I'm not gonna say he was great but to the extent that people think he wasn't is weird to me. If you're enjoying this team right now then you gotta credit Mills for the most part.

In fact the only thing I think he did wrong is set his own expectation for failure. I mean we were rebuilding and I thought in that bubble of mindset he did a decent job. No draft picks lost, small moves which led to us trading for even more draft picks. He took risks just like every rebuilding team does on undervalued talents, Randle being one of.

His problem is that along the way he sabotaged his own perception by continually saying that the goal was to win and even there....wtf is he supposed to say. Even fans are torn between winning and developing. Now the same guys(myself included) who were all about rebuilding and tanking are happy with the wins right now so...I think we needed to upgrade from Mills at some point but to only credit him for the bad and nothing good is unfair.

One could argue that we're doing the same things under Rose that we did under Mills except this time we got a coach who can squeeze water out of rocks with this talent. But one injury gone bad, one player complaining about minutes, one losing streak and you guys will turn. None of us are really on the same page. You ask 2 knick fans and in both cases we fail and one will say we are a bad team cuz we fail to land superstars in FA and the other will say we fail because we fail to land a top 3 pick so... lets just enjoy 5-3 I guess.
People are coming around. I supported Mills moves last year. It was just they weren't serious about winning so they got **** around feel good coaches.

I always thought Fiz was told nobody cares if yoy win because there was no way even a rec coach would put out those lineups. Bit je was the guy that started this change in Randle. Thibs is finishing it and Randle grew into the role.

Mills made mistakes but Randlenwasn't one. Which is why he got the extra years.

Grinditout
RealGM
And1: 2,353

Re: Julius Randle: Should we pick up his 2021-2 Team option 

Post#222 » by Grinditout » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:35 pm

Get a 1st rounder this year for him if you can, other wise try again next year.
eagle54
Pro Prospect
And1: 502

Post#223 » by eagle54 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:48 pm

Grinditout wrote:Get a 1st rounder this year for him if you can, other wise try again next year.

if he keep this level, we could get a top 3 2021 nba draft pick. :lol:
Grinditout
RealGM
And1: 2,353

Post#224 » by Grinditout » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:49 pm

eagle54 wrote:
Grinditout wrote:Get a 1st rounder this year for him if you can, other wise try again next year.

Package him, Frank, and DSJ for 2 1st rounders, who says no?

:lol:
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,979

Re: Julius Randle: Retain him for 4 million 

Post#225 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Jan 7, 2021 9:19 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Even if Randle pans out its not enough to redeem Mills. Too many bad moves. He was horrible.

I'm not gonna say he was great but to the extent that people think he wasn't is weird to me. If you're enjoying this team right now then you gotta credit Mills for the most part.

In fact the only thing I think he did wrong is set his own expectation for failure. I mean we were rebuilding and I thought in that bubble of mindset he did a decent job. No draft picks lost, small moves which led to us trading for even more draft picks. He took risks just like every rebuilding team does on undervalued talents, Randle being one of.

His problem is that along the way he sabotaged his own perception by continually saying that the goal was to win and even there....wtf is he supposed to say. Even fans are torn between winning and developing. Now the same guys(myself included) who were all about rebuilding and tanking are happy with the wins right now so...I think we needed to upgrade from Mills at some point but to only credit him for the bad and nothing good is unfair.

One could argue that we're doing the same things under Rose that we did under Mills except this time we got a coach who can squeeze water out of rocks with this talent. But one injury gone bad, one player complaining about minutes, one losing streak and you guys will turn. None of us are really on the same page. You ask 2 knick fans and in both cases we fail and one will say we are a bad team cuz we fail to land superstars in FA and the other will say we fail because we fail to land a top 3 pick so... lets just enjoy 5-3 I guess.
People are coming around. I supported Mills moves last year. It was just they weren't serious about winning so they got **** around feel good coaches.

I always thought Fiz was told nobody cares if yoy win because there was no way even a rec coach would put out those lineups. Bit je was the guy that started this change in Randle. Thibs is finishing it and Randle grew into the role.

Mills made mistakes but Randlenwasn't one. Which is why he got the extra years.

Or its also possible that we are finally winning because Steve Mills is gone and we were able to bring in better basketball people. Mills has been around the Knicks forever as GM, president, etc and the Knicks have had the worst record in the NBA during that time.

Mills even left for a few years in between and the Knicks got good again. Then he came back and the Knicks sucked. Now he left again and the Knicks look much better.

Ok, not all his fault but a lot of it was. It can't all be a coincidence. He was just not a good basketball executive.

Read on Twitter
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,874

Post#226 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Jan 7, 2021 9:33 pm

Zion is so fat he can't even fit in this thread
ImageImageImage
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,286

Post#227 » by Zenzibar » Thu Jan 7, 2021 10:15 pm

He called Rivers "Butter" :D

Talking about Julius Randle saying "Dr. Frankenstein don' went in da lab and brought out an all-star.........that monster's alive!"

Stop All Genocides
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#228 » by nedleeds » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:59 pm

Grinditout wrote:
eagle54 wrote:

Every GM in the league. Maybe an injury could net us a 1st for Randle. Charlotte maybe? If they are looking like a playoff team and are still starting bigmac beyonder at center.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#229 » by Richard4444 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:32 pm

nedleeds wrote:
Grinditout wrote:
eagle54 wrote:if he keep this level, we could get a top 3 2021 nba draft pick. :lol:

Every GM in the league. Maybe an injury could net us a 1st for Randle. Charlotte maybe? If they are looking like a playoff team and are still starting bigmac beyonder at center.

We cant be naive. Its very unrealistic to expect an FRP for Randle.

First, teams will analyze much more than numbers and overall performance before trading for Randle. Fit and historic counts. Randle is a high usage and the main playmaker of the team. He is not a plug-and-play kind of player. The coach will need to change his system to optimize his play. We already know he can be disastrous in the wrong system. I dont know if he can be a generic stretch 4 open in the corner. Besides, his good performance can be an outlier and he is already 26 years old. Also, he does not have playoff experience. I don't think there is much market for him.

Second, the team has to give us a 15M player or 19M TPE. Few teams have no essential players in high salaries expiring contracts to serve as fillers like Dallas, Miami and San Antonio or high TPE as Boston.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,693

Post#230 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:48 pm

Or,you know, you could just keep the guy who is putting up Oscar Robertson numbers instead of chasing more unknowns?

I know it's a crazy idea right? :lol:
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,432

Post#231 » by god shammgod » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:50 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:

Or,you know, you could just keep the guy who is putting up Oscar Robertson numbers instead of chasing more unknowns?

as long as he plays like this, the knicks aren't trading him. they're not even thinking about it.
NotDikembeSayNo
Sophomore
And1: 272

Post#232 » by NotDikembeSayNo » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:51 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:

NEED MOAR PICKZZZZZZ

Seriously though, people pump off at the thought of trading the second pick of the second round in this year's draft for a second round pick in the 2023 draft... you don't think they will jump at the chance to trade a player Twitter has told them is bad for a first round pick?
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,660

Post#233 » by DaGawd » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:51 pm

Seriously I don’t get why everyone would be in such a rush to trade a young guy putting up certified all star numbers on a winning team.. it’s pretty counterproductive in the grand scheme of things.. unless some team offers up a superstar of their own coming back the other way
BaF
Washington Wizards
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,693

Post#234 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:55 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

as long as he plays like this, the knicks aren't trading him. they're not even thinking about it.

Leon Rose is not stupid enough to trade a guy who is proving himself to be the first certified good player in recent Knicks history.

Only way they trade Randle, in his current form, is if it's for a clear upgrade and even the i'd be skeptical that they actually pull the trigger on anything involving him.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,127

Post#235 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:57 pm

Yeah I don’t get why people want to trade him for a pick that most likely won’t even be as good as Randle right now. I guess this is why we can’t have nice things. Y’all weird lol
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,862

Post#236 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:14 pm

DaGawd wrote:Seriously I don’t get why everyone would be in such a rush to trade a young guy putting up certified all star numbers on a winning team.. it’s pretty counterproductive in the grand scheme of things.. unless some team offers up a superstar of their own coming back the other way

Completely. HE'S YOUNG. That's the difference maker here. If this is who he is, both in play and attitude, then this is a player we've been waiting for. (As an aside, even with his huge bump in assists, his overall productivity rate isn't noticeably different from his time in NO or his last year in LA).

The problem is it's understandably difficult to process this after he was so rightfully emblematic of the messiness that has resided here for so long. It's almost a full 180. Like former skinheads who become outspoken on social justice in the community. You watch them and here the words, but you're also looking at them like, "man, I know where you've been. I know the tattoos you still have under that tshirt".
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,286

Post#237 » by Zenzibar » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:07 pm

Guys you realize that Randle is putting up numbers on that Anthony Davis type level. If Paul George can get a haul from the Clippers, this year Randle can match that ticket price. If KP can get a couple of 1sts and players. Jrue Holiday, etc, etc.

Actually very few teams right now have the goods to pry Randle away from this Knicks' coaching staff.
Stop All Genocides
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,639

Post#238 » by prophet_of_rage » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:11 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Yeah I don’t get why people want to trade him for a pick that most likely won’t even be as good as Randle right now. I guess this is why we can’t have nice things. Y’all weird lol
It's the thrill of the unknown. Some people bought in on Hinkieball because it allowed them to keep hoping. But eventially those picks have to turn into players and you have to run out of possibilities if yoy are going to try to win.

eagle54
Pro Prospect
And1: 502

Post#239 » by eagle54 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:36 am

3toheadmelo wrote:Yeah I don’t get why people want to trade him for a pick that most likely won’t even be as good as Randle right now. I guess this is why we can’t have nice things. Y’all weird lol

randle had 9 good games right now but last year lots of people want to see him out...So just 9 games and now he's untouchable ? You trade a guy when his value is good, never went he sucks if you want to trade him.
The same with knox or smith when people want to trade him... They had no value...
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,127

Post#240 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Jan 9, 2021 1:56 pm

eagle54 wrote:

randle had 9 good games right now but last year lots of people want to see him out...So just 9 games and now he's untouchable ? You trade a guy when his value is good, never went he sucks if you want to trade him.
The same with knox or smith when people want to trade him... They had no value...

I’ll say it again. Y’all weird af :lol:
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it

Return to New York Knicks