ImageImageImageImageImage

New York Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,364

Re: New York Yankees Thread 

Post#1421 » by Polk377 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:51 pm

blue and orange wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:Feels good to have an alpha of an owner in NYC again.

Not like the pussy Steinbrenner kids that run the Yankees.

I'll be rooting for Cohen to stick it to the Yankees as long as Hal wants to be 2nd in the city.

It's a bonus he's actually a fan of the team and not some entitled brat that got to inherit the biggest team in all of sports and turn them into a small market team.

George is rolling in his grave. Out of all the NY teams I gotta say Yankees are the most boring and most frustrating, reason I say frustrating is because its the Yankees and they have all the resources, yeah you expect the Jets and Knicks to make bad deals, hell I give them credit for trying to make big splashes at least they got balls, not the Yankees, unless its a contract that cripples their future like the Ellsbury deal and Stanton contract.

Smart moves aren't about throwing big money at the 1st available big name. People talk about George like he was the mastermind of the Yankees dynasty when in reality they only got on the right track when he was banned because of smart moves and building from within.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,850

Post#1422 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:27 pm

Polk377 wrote:
blue and orange wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:Feels good to have an alpha of an owner in NYC again.

Not like the pussy Steinbrenner kids that run the Yankees.

I'll be rooting for Cohen to stick it to the Yankees as long as Hal wants to be 2nd in the city.

It's a bonus he's actually a fan of the team and not some entitled brat that got to inherit the biggest team in all of sports and turn them into a small market team.

George is rolling in his grave. Out of all the NY teams I gotta say Yankees are the most boring and most frustrating, reason I say frustrating is because its the Yankees and they have all the resources, yeah you expect the Jets and Knicks to make bad deals, hell I give them credit for trying to make big splashes at least they got balls, not the Yankees, unless its a contract that cripples their future like the Ellsbury deal and Stanton contract.

Smart moves aren't about throwing big money at the 1st available big name. People talk about George like he was the mastermind of the Yankees dynasty when in reality they only got on the right track when he was banned because of smart moves and building from within.

Totally. The Yankees just landed the best FA pitcher in years to the largest contract a pitcher has ever signed in the history of the sport. George was basically a bad person and owner with a big ego and wallet in a significantly less competitive marketplace.

The current problem to me is the unwillingness or risk aversion to being creative in the pursuit of necessary changes and upgrades that will improve the odds - however incrementally - of winning #28.
Polk377
General Manager

Post#1423 » by Polk377 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:23 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
blue and orange wrote:

Totally. The Yankees just landed the best FA pitcher in years to the largest contract a pitcher has ever signed in the history of the sport. George was basically a bad person and owner with a big ego and wallet in a significantly less competitive marketplace.

The current problem to me is the unwillingness or risk aversion to being creative in the pursuit of necessary changes and upgrades that will improve the odds - however incrementally - of winning #28.

That's understandable. They have done a great job of doing that on the offensive end but are always lacking when it comes to a dominating pitching staff. The move to make is signing Bauer to go along with Cole and Severino to form our own 3 headed monster.
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,003

Post#1424 » by blue and orange » Sat Jan 9, 2021 1:18 pm

Don't get me wrong George was far from perfect in fact he was very stupid the way he spent money like a gambler. Cashman has done a great job of making cost effective moves. There just always has been a lack of pitching development and generally pitchers have done worse when they haven't gotten to the Yankees and done great after they have left. The over reliance on analytics has turned fans away from the game, the franchise just seems to lack some passion. It just gets a little tiring seeing the pen come into the game in the 5th inning almost every game for 162 games a year.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,954

Post#1425 » by KnicksGadfly » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:18 pm

More than that, I don’t see a sense of urgency. We have failed for over a decade now. Ownership has already said things like they don’t feel like our seasons are a failure when we only get to the playoffs. Yankees standards have fallen. We used to be about championships first—they can think that finances matter first but the Yankees brand and finances are only strong right now because they were winners. Now we care about playoff participation trophies. Eff that.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,223

Post#1426 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:25 pm

Sign DJ and boost the SP. That's that. Wanna be cheap...then invest in your farm and develop players you can control. This is NY. They profit no matter what!! The Yankees are not desperate for money.
:beer: RIP mags
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#1427 » by blueNorange » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:55 pm

so gerrit cole is one of many pitchers being investigated for doctoring the baseball

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/01/08/gerrit-cole-justin-verlander-named-lawsuit-angels-illegal-ball-doctoring-substances

makes sense, houston did cheat — trevor bauer also called out on this cheating before he decided to cheat himself (which is why no team is signing him to big bucks/long term)
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,444

Post#1428 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:44 am

blueNorange wrote:so gerrit cole is one of many pitchers being investigated for doctoring the baseball

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/01/08/gerrit-cole-justin-verlander-named-lawsuit-angels-illegal-ball-doctoring-substances

makes sense, houston did cheat — trevor bauer also called out on this cheating before he decided to cheat himself (which is why no team is signing him to big bucks/long term)

If pitchers know how to doctor the ball, then good for them. I'm all for it. #GaylordPerry
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1429 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:45 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:Sign DJ and boost the SP. That's that. Wanna be cheap...then invest in your farm and develop players you can control. This is NY. They profit no matter what!! The Yankees are not desperate for money.

And the BP.
Free Palestine
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#1430 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:52 am

blueNorange wrote:so gerrit cole is one of many pitchers being investigated for doctoring the baseball

Man, casual baseball fans really think they're onto something whenever this comes up. :lol:
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,930

Post#1431 » by knicks94 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:36 pm

It looks like DJLM will be remaining with the Yankees. Best news of the year!
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,213

Post#1432 » by mpharris36 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:38 pm

thats a really nice smaller AAV contract too...the years aren't too significant in that it doesn't have too high of SSS attached to it in his later years.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,541

Post#1433 » by Butch718 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:37 pm

Even if his production falls off during the back end of that contract, it's only 15 mil per. He could still be a productive utility player by then.

Also, the market will pick up after this season, so this deal is going to turn out to be a major bargain.
Polk377
General Manager

Post#1434 » by Polk377 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:01 pm

DJ deal is done. Now let's go get Bauer or Kluber.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1435 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:38 pm

Polk377 wrote:DJ deal is done. Now let's go get Bauer or Kluber.

All this BS for only $15 million/year? :rofl:
Free Palestine
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#1436 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:41 pm

I'm one of the rare Yankee fans that's not completely and totally all-in on LeMahieu. I love what the guy's done and am a big supporter, and I'm not saying he's a fluke, but there seems to be a lot of potential variance in his production, and we haven't seen the downside of it yet in NYC. Hopefully we never do.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1437 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:40 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:I'm one of the rare Yankee fans that's not completely and totally all-in on LeMahieu. I love what the guy's done and am a big supporter, and I'm not saying he's a fluke, but there seems to be a lot of potential variance in his production, and we haven't seen the downside of it yet in NYC. Hopefully we never do.

Now you'll have the next 6 years to find out. :lol:
Free Palestine
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#1438 » by DowNY » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:38 am

Read on Twitter
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,233

Post#1439 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:00 am

Nice so now DJ and Kluber. Who's next? We need another SP, some RP and some utility guys.
Polk377
General Manager

Post#1440 » by Polk377 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:54 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Polk377 wrote:DJ deal is done. Now let's go get Bauer or Kluber.

All this BS for only $15 million/year? :rofl:

He took the long term security of being a Yankee vs shorter term with more per year for the unknown. Good move for him and probably the last contract he will have to sign.

Return to New York Knicks