Trae vs John

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,908

Trae vs John 

Post#1 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:19 pm

Trouble in paradise?

Collins talked about the need to get into offensive sets more quickly and to limit all those early shot-clock attempts that leave his teammates on the outside looking in. He shared his desire to be more involved and expressed a desire for more ball involvement and flow on offense.

There was no back-and-forth between the two, but the pointed criticism caught the attention of the room. And Young, sources say, made it clear to others later that he strongly disagreed with Collins’ assessment.

“Trae is my brother regardless,” Collins, who chose not to elaborate further, told The Athletic via text message when he was asked about the situation.

In a round-about way, Collins offered a reminder to his teammates that growing pains are an unavoidable part of this process. With Pierce in the final guaranteed year of his contract and playoff expectations upon them all, the question now is whether the Hawks can navigate these next few months well enough to make the most of this revamped roster.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Re: Trae vs John 

Post#2 » by Radioblacktive1 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:29 pm

I will say it’s been clear all season JC wasn’t getting touches I feel he should have. They’re not the lethal PnR tandem they used to be. It seems like if Collins doesn’t have a clear lob then Trae kicks it out elsewhere even if JC had his man beat. Credit to him for still getting his buckets. If Charlotte was just Trae being petty then that is REALLY not great. I don’t need him to become Trae Harden.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,462

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:42 pm

Rest of the NBA after reading this headline:

Spoiler:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:38 pm

1. Thanks for the links, Jayu.

2. D@mn!!! This reeks of ego on Trae's part and an agenda on John's behalf. Trae shut down over modest criticism in a orivate setting from a close teammate?

Reminds me of Kobe in the mid-2000s. It's gonna fall to the (next?) coach to get Trae Young to deal with these issues in a more productive manner.

Eye opening observation:

Code: Select all

There was a moment during a timeout in the third quarter when, perhaps sensing Young was not happy, Collins put his arm around Young’s shoulders and patted him on the back to encourage him. Young did not say anything nor reciprocate Collins’ friendly gesture and instead walked away.
The Athletic
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#5 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:45 pm

You have to keep this behind closed doors. It’s should be a Hawks locker room issue only. Why are we fanning out our issues to a gossipy league :nonono:

So first John gets himself suspended 2 games into last year for an illegal substance he took and is out 25 games costing us a season.

Now this...

I don’t disagree with John in that we need to move the ball, but because it’s him, under his contract situation, it’s not good.

I have a question. What if John played with Luka, he does the same exact thing and just holds the ball.

Ugh, Perhaps Collins spoke because he is mad at the contract situation not working out and is passive aggressive.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:46 pm

^Or maybe it was valid criticism as our offense slowed and our team struggled repeatedly against lower tier opponents.

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#7 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:50 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^Or maybe it was valid criticism as our offense slowed and our team struggled repeatedly against lower tier opponents.

Read on Twitter

Even if it was valid, Trae is gonna win this battle. I do agree with John a bit though as I’d like to see the ball swing.

I don’t like Trae “shutting down” during a game as some kinda crybaby protest that is really immature and stupid.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:52 pm

Spud2nique wrote:I don’t like Trae “shutting down” during a game as some kinda crybaby protest that is really immature and stupid.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

A late Christmas gift we should probably send to Trae:

Spoiler:
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#9 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:54 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:I don’t like Trae “shutting down” during a game as some kinda crybaby protest that is really immature and stupid.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

A late Christmas gift we should probably send to Trae:

Spoiler:

Indeed.

Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#10 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:58 pm

So we can contractual issues with John, decreasing his trade value and now he comes out and says this publicly which decreases it more in the eyes of the league.

This is some grade a BS. KEEP YOUR DIRTY LAUNDRY AT HOME FOLKS DONT AIR IT OUT, it only hurts everyone.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#11 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:00 pm

This is your classic KG/Marbury fiasco. :nonono:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:06 pm

Spud2nique wrote:So we can contractual issues with John, decreasing his trade value and now he comes out and says this publicly which decreases it more in the eyes of the league.

KEEP YOUR DIRTY LAUNDRY AT HOME FOLKS DONT AIR IT OUT, it only hurts everyone.

John Collins didn't say this publicly, Spud. He kept it in-house during a private team video session. He did exactly what he should have done.

Others have leaked this...and it didn't get leaked as a story until Trae's underwhelming performance against Charlotte led to some reasonable questions.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,908

Post#13 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:14 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^Or maybe it was valid criticism as our offense slowed and our team struggled repeatedly against lower tier opponents.

Read on Twitter

It was valid critism of the offense. Trae can't be this thin skinned as the best player, if he had an issue, speak up right there in the review session. Don't sulk your way into being on the court and 'not playing' by pulling Kobe.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#14 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:17 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:So we can contractual issues with John, decreasing his trade value and now he comes out and says this publicly which decreases it more in the eyes of the league.

KEEP YOUR DIRTY LAUNDRY AT HOME FOLKS DONT AIR IT OUT, it only hurts everyone.

John Collins didn't say this publicly, Spud. He kept it in-house during a private team video session. He did exactly what he should have done.

Others have leaked this...and it didn't get leaked as a story until Trae's underwhelming performance against Charlotte led to some reasonable questions.

“Others have leaked this”? What others, the players or Chris Kirshitwhatever? The media’s full of dirty tricks. Pac made sense.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#15 » by Galloisdaman » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:20 pm

Spud2nique wrote:This is your classic KG/Marbury fiasco. :nonono:

Please no Marbury stuff. I lived through it the first time lol :D
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,943

Post#16 » by shakes0 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:27 pm

Great, this is just what we need.

I think it may be time to fire Pierce. Does he have any control over this team?
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#17 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:32 pm

I will say one thing. You let Trae win this.. whatever it is, and he becomes Harden and is our GM for the next year and we go ringless.

This is where Lloyd has to come in and talk to Trae and sell him on ball movement. Lloyd needs to step up now. Honestly though, I don’t think they respect Lloyd. :roll:
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#18 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:32 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:This is your classic KG/Marbury fiasco. :nonono:

Please no Marbury stuff. I lived through it the first time lol :D

You were a Minny fan?
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#19 » by Radioblacktive1 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:34 pm

To be honest, LP has decent job security because of who he is off court. Wouldn’t be surprised if the front office is hesitant to fire him because of the optics, but man, something has to change. You’re the coach, butt heads with Trae all day if that’s what it takes.
myrak433
Sixth Man
And1: 229

Post#20 » by myrak433 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:39 pm

Collins to Bulls/ Lavine to Hawks.... I am at it again (LOL)
December of 2019 “Trae Young Involved in 'Emotional' Locker Room Scene After Hawks Loss. Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is unsurprisingly getting tired of the team's struggles.”

Get Trae some HELP!!!!

Return to Atlanta Hawks