WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,250

Re: WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1 

Post#381 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 7:53 pm

ahmetmekin wrote:
Senchu wrote:"Floor AD" brings so much excitement that I am back to waking up at 5am to catch Warriors games

It is 4 am for me. **** painful man.

Europe?
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#382 » by SF_Warriors » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:01 pm

northoakland510 wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
northoakland510 wrote:
Do you have the link for that game? I do not watch a lot of college, but knowing the team would be in the lottery I started to pay attention. At first Edwards was the guy, but I didn't see anything all that special. When I saw Wiseman I was intrigued and started following his IG and youtube. I was sold on the kid and knew the Warriors could get the big man that has always been coveted.

Its on youtube, the full game..too lazy to provide the link right now but if you search it shouldnt be too hard to find.

What I find funny is that in his highlight tapes you see him pass, handle and shoot the ball and they still said he couldn't do those things.

I remember watching those vids thinking to myself how can anyone possibly be watching this and not think he will be an above average starting center? And funny enough a lot of those highlights in the vids show him making jumpers (some very tough), passing, handling the ball. Enough to let me know they werent weaknesses to his game. Maybe not clear cut strengths, but clearly league average at worst. And all from about 15-20 minutes worth of HS/college highlights. Then I saw his shooting video where he was swishing threes and knew that he had at least a decent jumper.

I understood the concerns though. There are a lot of quality centers available for relatively cheap and typically wings and point guards are at a premium. But I am always a proponent of picking BPA, and wiseman was it for me. He has a long way to go before proving he is the best player of the draft, but I am happy with what I've been seeing so far.
ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#383 » by ahmetmekin » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:19 pm

wco81 wrote:
ahmetmekin wrote:
Senchu wrote:"Floor AD" brings so much excitement that I am back to waking up at 5am to catch Warriors games

It is 4 am for me. **** painful man.

Europe?

Yes, Sweden.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#384 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:23 pm

I heard him say his first Warrior interview curse word....I feel like a proud Papa right now..(sheds small tear)
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#385 » by FNQ » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:32 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I heard him say his first Warrior interview curse word....I feel like a proud Papa right now..(sheds small tear)

thus confirming that Draymond is in fact teaching him everything he knows
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#386 » by FNQ » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:26 am

Holy crap did I miss RGM.. I finally sifted through this thread, the draft thread on Wiseman.. 'unplayable', 'offensive C'..

Ya'll are missing out on a great sport.. take time between the hot takes to watch the defensive impact the kid has on the game
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,250

Post#387 » by wco81 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:31 am

Clippers controlling him pretty well. Just now, at the FT line, he put the ball on the deck and they easily stripped him -- mid third quarter

Posted him a couple of times, got nothing out of those possessions.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#388 » by Coxy » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:26 am

A really tough game for the rook today against the Clippies. He started well, but then made some mistakes that effected his composure. I learning day for the young man.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#389 » by clyde21 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:54 am

lack of hands continues to be a huge issue for him
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 259

Post#390 » by ShayDee » Thu Jan 7, 2021 9:02 am

He barely makes plays for the team that isn't getting his own or finishing plays. Does Kerr not trust him to make a good pass yet? At least maybe 1 or 2 plays per game he makes a Jokic like pass would be a huge learning experience for him early in his career. Don't want him developing bad habits
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#391 » by Coxy » Thu Jan 7, 2021 10:18 am

I'd love Wiseman to start learning the art of the shot fake. The scouting report will come out on him soon that he loves the face up jumper as his go to thing, and he hits them as well so players will know this soon. If he can understand that he can get his man to jump or react to a shot fake, he can then either draw a foul or put the ball on the floor and go all Admiral on them.

Mylie10
RealGM

Post#392 » by Mylie10 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:28 pm

Is it a surprise? I told you guys Ibaka is a tough matchup for him and most everybody else Ibaka plays.

I’d have pulled Wise early and brought him in to matchup against Zubac the whole time.

I still think the kid should have played more. He wasn’t in foul trouble and even when he made mistakes he made other plays. If guys could throw a proper lob he’d have had more points.

I think his hands are fine. Crappy lob passes, Oubre through a pass at his legs. I’m not worried about his hands one bit.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#393 » by clyde21 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:36 pm

ShayDee wrote:He barely makes plays for the team that isn't getting his own or finishing plays. Does Kerr not trust him to make a good pass yet? At least maybe 1 or 2 plays per game he makes a Jokic like pass would be a huge learning experience for him early in his career. Don't want him developing bad habits

dude can barely hold on to the ball right now you want him out there trying to be Jokic?

if anything we need to simplify the game more for him. dude literally just needs to be rolling the entire time on offensive.
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#394 » by northoakland510 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 10:12 pm

I think the kid has pretty good hands, he just needs to get stronger. He is playing grown men and has to get use to playing through contact. He should have gotten some run in the 4th quarter vs Sac and last night vs the Clippers. Let the kid play through the mistakes, Draymond can handle him when h gets frustrated. If they get another big they wouldn't have to worry about him accumulating fouls as much.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 851

Post#395 » by DevinVassell » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:00 am

His hands aren't Festus bad or anything. It's just the speed of the game for him at the moment. You can't catch a pass if your not expecting it.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#396 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:09 pm

Not to mention some of the passes have been horrid. The only one throwing him clean passes has been Draymond.

And I’m gonna give Ibaka some credit for last game. I said before the game that Ibaka was a bad matchup for him, and it played out that way.

Let’s see if this next game has true kid and the team learning anything.
Khoee wrote “
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#397 » by likashing » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:18 pm

DevinVassell wrote:His hands aren't Festus bad or anything. It's just the speed of the game for him at the moment. You can't catch a pass if your not expecting it.

Yes, his hands are fine. Not perfect, but fine. Not Ezeli.

If he had Shaq hands, I don't think he will have the shooting touch he has now.

Which center has great hands to catch lobs / catch in traffic, and doesn't have an ugly shot? He wouldn't be at #2 to us if he was gifted like that.

Remember pre-draft, all the experts were saying "no consensus #1 pick. no one destined to be stars. maybe some solid NBA players."

The end result with Wiseman at #2 and him playing like this - I am happy.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#398 » by FNQ » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:43 pm

likashing wrote:
DevinVassell wrote:His hands aren't Festus bad or anything. It's just the speed of the game for him at the moment. You can't catch a pass if your not expecting it.

Yes, his hands are fine. Not perfect, but fine. Not Ezeli.

If he had Shaq hands, I don't think he will have the shooting touch he has now.

Which center has great hands to catch lobs / catch in traffic, and doesn't have an ugly shot? He wouldn't be at #2 to us if he was gifted like that.

Remember pre-draft, all the experts were saying "no consensus #1 pick. no one destined to be stars. maybe some solid NBA players."

The end result with Wiseman at #2 and him playing like this - I am happy.

I dont get complaints about his hands.. they aren't glue but they're better than average. If someone wants to go check out some Ekpe Udoh highlights.. that dude had huge palms but no fingers, he basically had golf clubs attached to his shoulders
Ilovethebay
Senior
And1: 166

Post#399 » by Ilovethebay » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:57 pm

His coach/teammates seem to love him. I know most guys say good things about their teammates but some of the compliments are “school girl crush” level. I hope their right. I’m almost hoping that they treat this year like a long extended training camp and preseason so that the kid and Wiggins can continue to make strides. We could really do some damage next year.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#400 » by shazam_guy » Fri Jan 8, 2021 10:20 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:Well no. For example they picked KAT over Jahlil Okafor and D'Angelo Russell.

Not picking on anyone, but a look at the Wolves draft history over the last ten years or so -- certainly back to 2009 -- reveals a very, very bad track record. Even a blind pig can find an acorn sometimes, and they certainly did fine with KAT but almost everything else has been cringeworthy.

And I kind of LIKE the Timberwolves.

Return to Golden State Warriors