John Collins Challenges How Trae Young Runs Atlanta's Offense During Film Session

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

John Collins Challenges How Trae Young Runs Atlanta's Offense During Film Session 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:16 pm

During a film session this week after blowing a 15-point lead in the second half to the New York Knicks, John Collins raised several issues about how the Atlanta Hawks are functioning with Trae Young running the offense, three sources tell The Athletic.

Collins discussed how the Hawks need to get into offensive sets more quickly and to limit Young's early shot clock attempts that leave his teammates uninvolved. Collins also shared his desire for more ball movement and flow on offense.

While there was no back-and-forth between the two, Young made it clear he strongly disagreed with the assessment of Collins.

“Trae is my brother regardless,” Collins, who chose not to elaborate further, told The Athletic via text message.

The Hawks currently rank fifth in the NBA in offensive efficiency at 114.0 points per 100 possessions. 

Via Chris Kirschner, Sam Amick/The Athletic

MINDKCUF
Senior
And1: 577

Re: John Collins Challenges How Trae Young Runs Atlanta's Offense During Film Session 

Post#2 » by MINDKCUF » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:08 pm

mo money mo problems = cracks in the foundation atlanta has built so nicely?
collins is right about trae's poor early shot selections but sometimes you have to let stars shine.
but when you are blowing a 15 point lead is when trae needs to listen to collins.
hawks should have just offered $100 mil/4 yrs and collins couldnt have said no.
$100mil just has a nice ring to it...especially when your getting $4.1mil for 20-21 season.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Re: John Collins Challenges How Trae Young Runs Atlanta's Offense During Film Session 

Post#3 » by luss54321 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:14 pm

He's absolutely right. Playing isolation Harden ball is not the way to build a contender. Having a more versatile offense is extremely valuable in the playoffs. Every single play doesn't need to be a Trae Young shot or a Trae Young pass. It's great for running up your numbers but it's not the most effective style of play.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#4 » by Cassius » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:45 pm

If I'm the Hawks and it's clear he won't re-sign, I might call the Warriors to see if they'd be open to moving Draymond. Collins, Snell and Bruno Fernando works in the checker:

Trade ID #7377938

Dubs rebuild on the fly with Wiseman and Collins up front, Hawks solidify their D and take Trae off the ball out of necessity.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#5 » by 720 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:38 pm

Cassius wrote:If I'm the Hawks and it's clear he won't re-sign, I might call the Warriors to see if they'd be open to moving Draymond. Collins, Snell and Bruno Fernando works in the checker:

Trade ID #7377938

Dubs rebuild on the fly with Wiseman and Collins up front, Hawks solidify their D and take Trae off the ball out of necessity.

He’s an rfa he will for sure re-sign. Also lol at trading Collins for old man Draymond.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#6 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:20 pm

Collins isn’t wrong. Young is a great...young pg. it’s the hardest position to learn in the NBA so I see him adjusting to the game as it continues to slow down for him. Anyway, yes I agree with Collins.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#7 » by nedleeds » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:21 pm

720 wrote:
Cassius wrote:If I'm the Hawks and it's clear he won't re-sign, I might call the Warriors to see if they'd be open to moving Draymond. Collins, Snell and Bruno Fernando works in the checker:

Trade ID #7377938

He’s an rfa he will for sure re-sign. Also lol at trading Collins for old man Draymond.

Trading a guy whose rights you control for an old Draymond is even more insane. They still control his rights.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
beefman
Senior
And1: 15

Post#8 » by beefman » Fri Jan 8, 2021 10:49 pm

further proof Luka > Trey
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#9 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 1:01 am

I can understand Collins' frustration, it's not simply due to contract talks. Trae needs to make his teammates better by actively putting them in positions to score, not simply ball-hog until he's triple teamed and then pass. Heliocentric offenses benefit a few at the expense of many, and they don't win at the highest levels.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#10 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:50 am

If I'm Collins I'm letting Trea know to step off a little cause sooner or later this here sheet fittna threaten about loot and contracts. Well, maybe not for Trae anyway...
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
_BALLDONTLIE
Sophomore
And1: 162

Post#11 » by _BALLDONTLIE » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:13 pm

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:or later this here sheet fittna threaten about loot and contracts

Excuse me?
Southpaw
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#12 » by Southpaw » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:07 pm

Got the same vibes as KG and Marbury in Sota back then. Hope it works out better for ATL.
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,858

Post#13 » by Anti Chalmers » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:21 pm

Trade ID #7377938

How many picks Warriors adding?

Return to Wiretap Discussion