7.2 AST

19% 3PT...interesting
TheBonzaiEffect
Starter
And1: 2,445

Re: Luka Doncic 20-21 Thread 

Post#2 » by TheBonzaiEffect » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:46 pm

You mean:

28/9/8. TS% up to 56.4% and PER up to 25.8.

25/15/7
33/16/11
38/9/13/4 steals

In his last 3, all wins. Against Miami, Houston, and Denver, no less. But he's totally overrated, right? :roll:
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,496

Post#3 » by 70sFan » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:40 pm

What a game that was! It's probably his finest game so far in this season. He made so mane great scoring moves and that pass in the first quarter to corner shooter is just out of mind.

Say all you want, but Luka is special.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,669

Post#4 » by Johnny Firpo » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:41 pm

Luka's playing surprisingly good defense this year, and admitted that it is an emphasis for him. His offense is full of unforced errors though. I'll be curious if or when he can put it together this year.
TheBonzaiEffect
Starter

Post#5 » by TheBonzaiEffect » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:36 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:Luka's playing surprisingly good defense this year, and admitted that it is an emphasis for him. His offense is full of unforced errors though. I'll be curious if or when he can put it together this year.

I mean his usage is insane. He leads the NBA in usage %. His turnovers for his usage isn't really horrendous. He's still averaging less turnovers than Trae and Jokic. And his assists would be much higher if guys were hitting threes. Aside from a red hot game, THJ has been bad. JRich has been bad from three. DFS has been bad. Burke has been bad. Powell blows gimmes. Maxi has literally been the only consistent three-point threat.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,669

Post#6 » by Johnny Firpo » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:28 pm

TheBonzaiEffect wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:Luka's playing surprisingly good defense this year, and admitted that it is an emphasis for him. His offense is full of unforced errors though. I'll be curious if or when he can put it together this year.

I mean his usage is insane. He leads the NBA in usage %. His turnovers for his usage isn't really horrendous. He's still averaging less turnovers than Trae and Jokic. And his assists would be much higher if guys were hitting threes. Aside from a red hot game, THJ has been bad. JRich has been bad from three. DFS has been bad. Burke has been bad. Powell blows gimmes. Maxi has literally been the only consistent three-point threat.

That's true, there is a reason why we were 28th in make% before the Nuggets game. Things aren't looking bad all things considered, right?
TheBonzaiEffect
Starter

Post#7 » by TheBonzaiEffect » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:30 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:
TheBonzaiEffect wrote:

That's true, there is a reason why we were 28th in make% before the Nuggets game. Things aren't looking bad all things considered, right?

Given the schedule and no KP, certainly not. Have to hope that Powell is squeezed out of the rotation and not WCS when KP returns.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,748

Post#8 » by LukaTheGOAT » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:44 pm

MVP Luka INCOMING!
Muha_i_samolet
Senior
And1: 591

Post#9 » by Muha_i_samolet » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:14 am

Watched 5 games this season, I noticed his mid-range game improved and he utilisez it more. That's very good. And yeah, he's a very good defender now, but people will never believe it coz they're racist.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,642

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:03 pm

Muha_i_samolet wrote:Watched 5 games this season, I noticed his mid-range game improved and he utilisez it more. That's very good. And yeah, he's a very good defender now, but people will never believe it coz they're racist.

Race has nothing to do with it. People have zero problems accepting good white defenders.

Luka hasn't been a very good defender to date in his career. Which considering his youth, his offensive load, and his physical limitations is neither shocking nor unfair to point out.

To his credit he was good enough in the playoffs and he's been solid so far this year. If he is just not a liability to be targeted that's all he needs to be. Add to that his fierce competitiveness, otherworldly IQ, and defensive rebounding, its likely he will figure out how to be a small positive on defense in his prime.

But if he's not. If he's a liability, pointing that out isn't racist.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,555

Post#11 » by Heej » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:22 pm

I love that he goes to the Dirk shot more by the elbow. Seems like he's getting the pieces around him more involved now too. At the start of the season it felt like he was monopolizing the ball too much.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#12 » by J_T » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:46 pm

Muha_i_samolet wrote:Watched 5 games this season, I noticed his mid-range game improved and he utilisez it more. That's very good. And yeah, he's a very good defender now, but people will never believe it coz they're racist.

That is silly for so many reasons.

1. From what I see there is pretty much a consensus among those that follow Mavs that his defense has improved tremendously, starting with the bubble.

2. Most people that don't follow Mavs closely have noticed his improvement as well, and the stats are showing it (and we all know that stats are everything that matters around here).

3. The rest of the people, considering they don't follow Mavs, it is much more likely that they claim he is a bad defender because they live in the past, they don't have the information.

4. So there are some haters, sure. But even among haters most of them will hate just because they hate. Most often haters hate because it makes them feel better about their own team's players.

5. Are there any remaining people, those that hate because they are racist? Of course, there are always such people everywhere. But it looks to me there are so few of those that it's simply not worth mentioning them. Luka is widely popular among people of all races. There are black college players out there who say Luka is their fav player.
TheBonzaiEffect
Starter

Post#13 » by TheBonzaiEffect » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:37 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

Race has nothing to do with it. People have zero problems accepting good white defenders.

Luka hasn't been a very good defender to date in his career. Which considering his youth, his offensive load, and his physical limitations is neither shocking nor unfair to point out.

To his credit he was good enough in the playoffs and he's been solid so far this year. If he is just not a liability to be targeted that's all he needs to be. Add to that his fierce competitiveness, otherworldly IQ, and defensive rebounding, its likely he will figure out how to be a small positive on defense in his prime.

But if he's not. If he's a liability, pointing that out isn't racist.

Being a white Euro 100% plays a role in player perception. But you already know that. Per usual, you're so woke! :lol:

By the way, you yourself are underrating Luka's D. This year (I'd call him average last year), he's been statistically good.

105 DRtg, .7 DBPM, .4 DWS.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,555

Post#14 » by Heej » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:14 pm

I feel like Luka sees the game in bullet time so he quite obviously could be a plus defender if that's what he wanted. Hell I've seen possessions where James Harden literally predicts every single move his guy tries to make and shuts that dude's water off. Luka should be just as capable in spurts, esp vs the wings that use power and IQ more than burst.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Texas Chuck

Post#15 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:49 pm

TheBonzaiEffect wrote:Being a white Euro 100% plays a role in player perception. But you already know that. Per usual, you're so woke! :lol:

As usual your personal comments are needless.

As to the perception issue, Marc Gasol, white European has a DPOY. AK47, white European widely regarded as a terrific defender. Just on the Mavs, white European Maxi Kleber gets credit for good defense. Those are just a handful of examples.

Yes stereotypes exist, but running to cry racism when a bad defender is criticized for defense is silly.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
TheBonzaiEffect
Starter

Post#16 » by TheBonzaiEffect » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:02 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
TheBonzaiEffect wrote:Being a white Euro 100% plays a role in player perception. But you already know that. Per usual, you're so woke! :lol:

As usual your personal comments are needless.

As to the perception issue, Marc Gasol, white European has a DPOY. AK47, white European widely regarded as a terrific defender. Just on the Mavs, white European Maxi Kleber gets credit for good defense. Those are just a handful of examples.

Yes stereotypes exist, but running to cry racism when a bad defender is criticized for defense is silly.

Please prove that Luka is currently a bad defender.
Texas Chuck

Post#17 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:05 pm

Try reading my post where I've covered that. Stand down the defense forces mate. I'm not attacking Luka Doncic.
TheBonzaiEffect
Starter

Post#18 » by TheBonzaiEffect » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:26 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Try reading my post where I've covered that. Stand down the defense forces mate. I'm not attacking Luka Doncic.

You called him "solid" this year. He's been good.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#19 » by PaulieWal » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:36 am

This thread is a mess. Will sort it out shortly.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#20 » by PaulieWal » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:19 pm

This kind of out of nowhere baiting, trolling is not allowed. The thread was doing fine before your just decided to throw in this bomb outta nowhere.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.

Return to Player Comparisons