ImageImageImageImageImage

Political Roundtable Part XXIX

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1161 » by WallToWall » Fri Jan 8, 2021 10:10 pm

A lot of the people who are now being arrested, in their home state or elsewhere other than DC, will face lesser charges, and more sympathetic jurors if tried in any place other than DC. I, for one, am tempering my expectation.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#1162 » by Wizardspride » Sat Jan 9, 2021 1:56 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,154

Post#1163 » by Zonkerbl » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:27 am

WallToWall wrote:A lot of the people who are now being arrested, in their home state or elsewhere other than DC, will face lesser charges, and more sympathetic jurors if tried in any place other than DC. I, for one, am tempering my expectation.

They're facing federal charges.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#1164 » by montestewart » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:32 am

WallToWall wrote:A lot of the people who are now being arrested, in their home state or elsewhere other than DC, will face lesser charges, and more sympathetic jurors if tried in any place other than DC. I, for one, am tempering my expectation.

Watch all the juries be seqanonestered. "We find the defendant guilty of being a great American patriot!" Then they'll convict the judge and prosecutor of pizza pedophilia.

Why can't I think of a product to sell to these suckers. "Your family will treasure these collector's edition plates from The Spear Mint, commemorating The Battle of Capitol Hill*, with details hand painted by renowned artist Yuri Nedyet, individually numbered, and autographed by Howis "The Excrementor" Daire, who personally participated in this historic liberation of democracy."

*"Not to be confused with The Assault on Capitol Hill collectors plates, commemorating the heroic Blue Lives defense of the Capitol from invading Antifa hordes. Also offered by The Spear Mint. Buy them both."
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#1165 » by doclinkin » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:15 am

Read on Twitter
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1166 » by Wizardspride » Sat Jan 9, 2021 12:15 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1167 » by Wizardspride » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:04 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,604

Post#1168 » by pancakes3 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:18 pm

@dobro, dem establishment doing our girl dirty

REP. KATIE PORTER, the California Democrat whose interrogations of financial executives and Trump administration officials gained wide notice, is unlikely to remain on the House Financial Services Committee, after Democratic leaders have been unresponsive to her requests for a waiver that would allow her to continue serving on the panel despite having two other committee assignments. Porter has been added to the Natural Resources Committee for the new Congress, and remains on the Oversight Committee. But she has pushed to remain on Financial Services, given her background in bankruptcy law that has made her an ally of progressives including her mentor, Sen. Elizabeth Warren.

Porter sent a letter requesting a waiver to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Nov. 30. After not getting an affirmative response, she sent another on Wednesday, noting that five waivers remain available for members to join the committee while retaining their other committee assignments. A Pelosi spokesman didn’t respond to requests for comment.
Bullets -> Wizards
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#1169 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:29 pm

Read on Twitter
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1170 » by Wizardspride » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:50 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1171 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:55 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

(CNN)Vice President Mike Pence has not ruled out an effort to invoke the 25th Amendment and wants to preserve the option in case President Donald Trump becomes more unstable, a source close to the vice president says.

The source said there is some concern inside Pence's team that there are risks to invoking the 25th Amendment or even to an impeachment process, as Trump could take some sort of rash action putting the nation at risk.

For now, the source said Pence and his advisers hope to provide a bridge to the next administration and do as much as possible to assist President-elect Joe Biden's team in preparing for dealing with the coronavirus pandemic.

But, the source cautioned, it has become clear this week that it is necessary to keep the 25th Amendment option on the table based on Trump's actions.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/09/politics/mike-pence-25th-amendment/index.html
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1172 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:46 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#1173 » by montestewart » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:00 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Cruz even uses The Big Lie on little bitty lies. Yeah, I said it Teddy Bear, tell me how inappropriate I am, you know I'm right. Trump publicly insulted your wife's looks (did that to Ben Carson too) and called your daddy a murderer, and you kiss his back door. Spineless bloviator. Total lack of self-respect, you and the people who keep sending you to Washington. Go back to Texas, where I think you were a carpetbagger in the first place. Right? Ted Cruz and Al Pacino in Cruzin 2: Ouch, That Hurts!

Can you tell how much I just love Ted Cruz?
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,302

Post#1174 » by dobrojim » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:01 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

This basically encapsulates the entire cause of polarization in the US
better than anything I've ever seen. It's horrifying but it explains
so much.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#1175 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:06 pm

The strongest possible recommendation to read this essay by Timothy Snyder in today's NYTimes magazine: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/09/magazine/trump-coup.html.

I hope it is being made available to everyone (i.e. not just subscribers). If not, I'll turn it into a pdf.

I also recommend to read Snyder's small book: On Tyranny: https://www.amazon.com/Tyranny-Twenty-Lessons-Twentieth-Century/dp/0804190119/
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1176 » by dobrojim » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:12 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Holy ****! I’ve never seen Scarborough so pissed. Hopefully more people in the media start waking up and speaking truth to power instead of this idiotic Washington pussy footing

I think the question is - Who's to blame? I'm not sure Joe is correct in blaming the Capitol Police. They obviously didn't have enough man-power there, but the reason for that needs to be investigated - immediately.

Yes. A full blown investigation is obviously called for.

What happened is at a minimum suggestive that there are elements within the Cap PD
that were highly sympathetic to the rioters/seditionists. The investigation should
definitely make that a significant priority.

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1177 » by dobrojim » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:23 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

No prob, Kevin. We'll drop the whole impeachment stuff on one condition: You and your buds all publicly tell Trump to quit... today. He doesn't even have to quit - just you and the rest of your gang step up finally this one time. Deal? If not, I think... perhaps you might be less than sincere.

Yup.

Shades of Aug 1974 when a group of GOP elders told Nixon the gig was up.
But today's GOP is afraid of their voters/donors.

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#1178 » by doclinkin » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:47 pm

Participation in seditious conspiracy. Impeach. Then lock him up.

This man wanted Hillary locked up for unsecured emails. Here he openly attempted to interfere with a legal election by slander, by libel, by abuse of office, by threat, then finally by inciting mob violence.

It is also not necessary to characterize the events that transpired as an insurrection, which may strike some as an exaggeration, when the behavior of those who attacked the Capitol fit the federal crime of “seditious conspiracy” (which actually carries twice the ten-year sentence of insurrection). This crime is committed whenever two or more people conspire “by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States,” which is exactly what took place on Wednesday. Also, those who attacked the Capitol did so with the explicit purpose of preventing Congress from carrying out its legal duty to certify the election, thus committing another form of seditious conspiracy: conspiring “by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States.”

Because “seditious conspiracy” perfectly describes the crimes committed on January 6, why not make the straightforward charge that Trump was a party to this conspiracy? Someone can be considered part of a criminal conspiracy even if they did not know “all the details of the crime or all of the members of the conspiracy,” as long as they shared the general objective of the conspiracy, which could be stated in this case as simply as: to use force or the threat of force to prevent Congress and the vice president from counting and announcing certified electoral votes for president on the date and at the time set by law.

Two additional articles of impeachment could be grounded on the federal law making it a crime to use “official authority for the purpose of interfering with, or affecting, the election for the office of President.” Trump’s statements in the past week about (and implicitly to) Vice President Mike Pence as well as his documented conversations with Georgia election officials are examples of such abuse of authority. Even though the statute is written to apply to persons employed by the United States in an “administrative position,” for purposes of impeachment it surely makes sense to hold the president to the same standard of legality as would apply to his subordinates.

On January 5, Trump falsely stated via Twitter that “The Vice President has the power to reject fraudulently chosen electors.” He later that day gave a public speech in which he stated “I hope Mike Pence comes through for us” and if he “does not come through, I won’t like him quite as much.” And the next morning, he tweeted more of the same.

Trump’s actions forced Pence to issue a letter to Congress on January 6, stating correctly that “my oath to support and defend the Constitution constrains me from claiming unilateral authority to determine which electoral votes should be counted.” Trump immediately responded by posting on Twitter: “Mike Pence didn’t have the courage to do what should have been done to protect our Country.” By this conduct, the president clearly used his official authority for the purpose of attempting to interfere with or affect the vice president’s constitutional duties in relation to the presidential election.

On January 2, Trump, acting through White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, initiated a telephone call to the Secretary of State of Georgia, Brad Raffensperger. The president told Raffensperger to “find 11,780 votes,” which was one more vote than the margin of victory for Joe Biden in Georgia. Trump proposed that this change in the legally certified electoral vote tally in Georgia be made by “saying, you know, that you’ve recalculated.”

And just yesterday, the Washington Post reported that Trump had earlier pressured the state’s lead elections investigator to “find the fraud” and, by doing so, become “a national hero.” By this conduct in both instances, in addition to potentially breaking Georgia state law, Trump again used his official authority for the purpose of interfering with or affecting the presidential election.

The most critical reason for sending articles of impeachment to the Senate is to provide an insurance policy against further grave misconduct during the remaining days of Trump’s presidency. Even if the Republican-controlled Senate is not currently inclined to consider reconvening for a trial in the next 10 days, the option for swift removal of the president would be available if a new crisis developed. And the Senate need only convict on one charge to do so.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/01/10/trump-impeachment-articles-incite-insurrection-seditious-conspiracy-456937
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#1179 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:49 pm

Kevin McCarthy should shove it straight up his saddle.

Wednesday night this ***hole voted against certifying the electoral college results.

He also signed an amicus brief in support of the idiotic Texas challenge to the voting results in the state; the challenge wished to establish that electoral votes in Texas & 3 other states "cannot be counted."

The goal was to -- somehow -- make it so that the legislatures of those states would vote for who should be President, taking the vote away from the citizens of this country.

That was a straightforward, unambiguous attempt to subvert the Constitution of the United States. The guy should burn in Hell along with Trump.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1180 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:56 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Return to Washington Wizards