ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Nets @ Grizzlies - Friday, 01/8/21 | 8:00pm | YES

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Re: GT: Nets @ Grizzlies - Friday, 01/8/21 | 8:00pm | YES 

Post#161 » by MGrand15 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:42 am

Outside of the DJ decision and maybe Prince, don't see why Nash is getting killed here. Maybe we should have a game thread tomorrow and watch the Philly or Utah game again. The offense and playcalling was more than fine down the stretch. LeVert's TOs were well intentioned plays.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,877

Post#162 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:46 am

Shamet sucks, but Bey has been awful. He wasn't at all NBA ready.

Should have kept Luke Kennard if anything.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,826

Post#163 » by Karate Diop » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:46 am

LeVert is a streak shooter / scorer... Can't ask him to get 50 so we can win. Everyone has to up their game defensively and contribute a little more offensively so that the team isn't always playing hero ball.
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#164 » by JoseRizal » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:10 am

DAJ staying on the floor in the last 4 mins really killed us. Anyone saying otherwise is either blind or nevermind...
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,230

Post#165 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:37 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Shamet sucks, but Bey has been awful. He wasn't at all NBA ready.

How has Bey been awful ? He's averaging 10/5/1 and shooting 46% from 3. His FG% is at 36 but that's because most of his shots are from 3. He dropped 20 and 10 on Wednesday against the Bucks. That is a heck of alot more than we ever got from Shamet, that dude is terrible ! I would much rather have kept Bey at this point. Seems way more NBA ready than Shamet to me.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#166 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:00 am

Papi_swav wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:Shamet sucks, but Bey has been awful. He wasn't at all NBA ready.

How has Bey been awful ? He's averaging 10/5/1 and shooting 46% from 3. His FG% is at 36 but that's because most of his shots are from 3. He dropped 20 and 10 on Wednesday against the Bucks. That is a heck of alot more than we ever got from Shamet, that dude is terrible ! I would much rather have kept Bey at this point. Seems way more NBA ready than Shamet to me.

Maybe youre right. Should have kept Bey.

The Shamet trade was a total disaster.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 657

Post#167 » by NetsJets » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:14 am

Frustrating loss. Just careless turnovers and bad defensive lapses at the worst times. They needed to run more plays for Joe especially down the stretch. Caris had himself a great game. Nothing irritated me more than Brandon Clark being left open and him keep on burying 3 pointers.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#168 » by Paradise » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:10 am

Read on Twitter
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#169 » by gigantes » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:18 am

Paradise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Which begs the question-- in Canada, when your kid swears in public, do you wash their mouth out with snow, or do they go without maple syrup with their next meal...?
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,230

Post#170 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:10 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:

Maybe youre right. Should have kept Bey.

The Shamet trade was a total disaster.

What's done is done at this point, I get why we did it. I just think we should of kept Bey because he will eventually get better and he could of been a solid player for us even after KD and Kyrie is gone. I'm not giving up hope yet on Shamet but he is what he is now, pretty much just a shooter and maybe a little pesk on defense some days, he won't get much better than that. Bey has some potential and can expand his game. i don't have that faith in Shamet even tho he's young.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,486

Post#171 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jan 9, 2021 12:59 pm

MGrand15 wrote:Outside of the DJ decision and maybe Prince, don't see why Nash is getting killed here. Maybe we should have a game thread tomorrow and watch the Philly or Utah game again. The offense and playcalling was more than fine down the stretch. LeVert's TOs were well intentioned plays.

Yeah, like I said LeVert's turnovers were the backbreaker.

Nash f'd up but oh well, he's learning. The fact that we blew out two good teams and lost a close one without our full team says a lot about us.

This Nets team is going to explode if we can just keep our Big 2 on the floor.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#172 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Jan 9, 2021 1:04 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:And who ever said levert was a horrible 3 point shooter needs to watch this game.

He shot 26% from 3 over the first 9 games. One good shooting game doesn’t negate how poorly he shot in the others.

Let’s wait to see how well he shoots in the next 4 or so games before proclaiming that tonight is what we should expect going forward.
gigantes
Starter

Post#173 » by gigantes » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:20 pm

Last night it seemed like there were an unusually high number of times Fro got the ball near the 3pt line and was left almost completely unguarded.

It sort of highlighted how little he has to offer in that those situations, which I guess is another way of saying that he usually looks lost when someone doesn't immediately come over to hand the ball of to. It's not a great look IMO.

I don't know what he works on with the coaches, but developing a little bigger skillset there seems like a pretty obvious step. As in, maybe work on the dribbling skills so as to either roll to the hoop or step in to a 15-footer? Even if he only dribbled a little bit and threatened the former options, it should open up passing options. Be a little more like Claxton, so to speak.

Sure, the guy has a net positive effect, but I'm still hoping he could develop a little further. He's only 22, and does play smarter than he used to, but in terms of expanding his game (not to mention his physique), I'm not sure how much progress he's really made in three+ years. For someone who wants a major contract this Summer, I'm a little concerned. Maybe this (and sheer cap concerns) plays in to why Marx didn't extend him recently.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#174 » by Claud » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:58 pm

Like I've said many times before, I hope Nash works out but have not been convinced by him as a coach yet.

Last night was a winnable game that was lost due to poor coaching to a significant degree.

I understand our bench was awful, bad TOs, etc... but the coaching was REALLY BAD.

I remember when we were one of the best team drawing up plays out of timeouts... not anymore.

Rotations and minutes have been inefficient since the start of the season as well.

Perhaps we should have gone for a more experienced coach, not Mike D'Antoni.

Still early but very mixed signs from our coaching staff so far.

On a side note how washed has DJ looked? He was already meh last season but this season he looks done.

All he does on offense is catch easy lobs and on defense he's a statue.

We're going to have to give a look at guys like Clax and Perry over DJ at some point or find another solution via trade/signing.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#175 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:12 pm

I do miss the smooth play calling of Atkinson.

When he was our coach it always seemed like we knew what to do and were playing hard.

He wasn't the right manager for KD/Kyrie, but we could have replaced him with someone more experienced.

Still its way too early to give up on Nash, and I have to have faith he will figure it out.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,571

Post#176 » by DarkXaero » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:39 pm

gigantes wrote:Last night it seemed like there were an unusually high number of times Fro got the ball near the 3pt line and was left almost completely unguarded.

It sort of highlighted how little he has to offer in that those situations, which I guess is another way of saying that he usually looks lost when someone doesn't immediately come over to hand the ball of to. It's not a great look IMO.

I don't know what he works on with the coaches, but developing a little bigger skillset there seems like a pretty obvious step. As in, maybe work on the dribbling skills so as to either roll to the hoop or step in to a 15-footer? Even if he only dribbled a little bit and threatened the former options, it should open up passing options. Be a little more like Claxton, so to speak.

Sure, the guy has a net positive effect, but I'm still hoping he could develop a little further. He's only 22, and does play smarter than he used to, but in terms of expanding his game (not to mention his physique), I'm not sure how much progress he's really made in three+ years. For someone who wants a major contract this Summer, I'm a little concerned. Maybe this (and sheer cap concerns) plays in to why Marx didn't extend him recently.
He needs to be more aggressive when he has that much space in front of him. In last night's game, there was a possession where Allen caught the ball at free throw line, and Valanciunas basically parked himself right under the basket, giving Allen so much space. But Allen didn't even look to shoot a FT line jumper, or dribble the ball inside for a short floater/hooker. Like you said, there are other times where Allen will have the ball at 3pt line and there's no one near him, but he still doesn't look to drive.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#177 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:11 pm

gigantes wrote:Last night it seemed like there were an unusually high number of times Fro got the ball near the 3pt line and was left almost completely unguarded.

I'm not sure why he isn't being coached up to take that 12 to 15 foot shot.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#178 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:18 pm

Nash made a mistake last night but we can't sit here, blame everything on him when we lose and not give him credit when we win.

Every loss outside of that throwaway game against Atlanta has come down to 5 pts or less and in wins we are blowing people out. Look at our point differential.

We are on the right track, we just need KD and Kyrie back.

gigantes
Starter

Post#179 » by gigantes » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:29 pm

I'm not convinced Nash has made a significant mistake so far, given the premise.

Nets fans, however...
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#180 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:38 pm

The offense just sucks. I think theres no denying it.

The fact that KD/Kyrie are both putting up MVP type numbers and were still losing is the problem.

I don't know what MDA is doing. Why isn't he just running the offense and play calling?

Return to Brooklyn Nets