ImageImageImage

Combination Theis & Thompson

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Re: Combination Theis & Thompson 

Post#21 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:05 am

Thompson is a great rebounder, Theis defends the rim, neither is a good inside scorer. I want my big man taking lob dunks, the end. If you go to your center for points, your offense sucks unless that center is Jokic.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,391

Post#22 » by Triple7 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:29 am

Bleeding Green wrote:Thompson is a great rebounder, Theis defends the rim, neither is a good inside scorer. I want my big man taking lob dunks, the end. If you go to your center for points, your offense sucks unless that center is Jokic.

Thompson is a good offensive rebounder, hustle player, and that’s basically it. Theis is a decent help defender, but is a poor post one on one defender. Theis is so bad offensively, that he pump fakes several times underneath the basket against jimmy butler :lol: Vanvleet posting up TT inside, was the last straw for me, and we all know how almost every guard and bIgs abused Theis’s defense in the bubble. Starting from lowry, vanvleet, dragic, butler and herro having a layup fest against Theis.
It’s so frustrating to watch your bigs get manhandled like that. At least R.Will and Tacko alters shots inside, and really gives the effort to block shots.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:22 am

What bigs are manhandling Theis and Thompson? Embidd? Who cares. Celtics beat Philly at every other position, Embiid can do whatever he wants.

The problem is that Theis and Thompson are not perimeter players. When one of them is the big on the floor, all is well. Theis was the main C on a top-5 defensive team the last 2 season, and the last playoffs. If you have a problem with Theis, you are just wrong.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Triple7
RealGM

Post#24 » by Triple7 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:43 am

Bleeding Green wrote:What bigs are manhandling Theis and Thompson? Embidd? Who cares. Celtics beat Philly at every other position, Embiid can do whatever he wants.

The problem is that Theis and Thompson are not perimeter players. When one of them is the big on the floor, all is well. Theis was the main C on a top-5 defensive team the last 2 season, and the last playoffs. If you have a problem with Theis, you are just wrong.

almost every bigs for contending teams actually. Bam, J.Allen just to name a few. Theis was the weakest link in our lineup last year. Yes, he did great playing his role as an undersized 5, but was exposed for his lack of skill offensively and defensively in the playoffs. He is a good help defender, i would give him that, he gets his blocks through help defense, and blindsiding opponents, but as a post up defender? He is just horrible. I still have flashbacks of Lowry bullying him inside with no fear. Dragic just having a free layup at his face. Or that Bam straight up dunking that ball, as if he wasn’t even there. or getting a rebound inside the paint, pump faking against Butler or Robinson, before kicking ball outside, when he could just dunk that ball like every other bigs does underneath. I don’t know how you could continue to overrate his defense after that disaster of series against the raps and heat. Effort was never a problem. He gives it his all, but he is just too small and too limited. As a bench player getting 10-15mins would have been ideal for him.
So No, i’m not wrong. You overrate your players too much.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:09 am

All I know is the Celtics are routinely a great rim defending team with Daniel Theis at C. Good for Lowry that he bullied him on the way to losing. Yes, Bam Adebayo is better than Daniel Theis. Theis is one of the most effective scorers, he opens the entire paint for the ballhandler, he defends the rim well. Daniel Theis is not the issue with the Celtics.
Triple7
RealGM

Post#26 » by Triple7 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:46 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:All I know is the Celtics are routinely a great rim defending team with Daniel Theis at C. Good for Lowry that he bullied him on the way to losing. Yes, Bam Adebayo is better than Daniel Theis. Theis is one of the most effective scorers, he opens the entire paint for the ballhandler, he defends the rim well. Daniel Theis is not the issue with the Celtics.

Nah. Daniel Theis as a starter is exactly one of the issues we have on this team. He does not defend the rim well at all. He just gets blocks blindsiding opponents not focusing on him as the primary defender. His straight up post defense is garbage. It’s been very obvious in the playoffs. I’m not saying he’s supposed to stop Bam on his own, but at least put up a stand, instead of just letting him straight up dunk on your face. Don’t tell me you weren’t pissed at Theis’s defense in that series. Plus his inability to knock down open shots, is what’s killing us and our ability to put teams away. I’m not saying he’s a bad overall defender. I think he’s a decent perimeter and help defender. He is just a horrible post defender, which at times is what we really need. Just watch R.will at the middle. Opposing players have to respect him when attacking inside, because they know he will try to block them. No easy layups. Look at how tacko changed Beals shot mid air. If that was Theis in the middle, that would have been an automatic and1 or easy layup. Anyways, nice chatting. Let’s see how Theis does tom. Hope he plays well for our teams sake.

Return to Boston Celtics