ImageImageImage

GAME 10: Jazz @ Pistons 3PM

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Re: GAME 10: Jazz @ Pistons 3PM 

Post#81 » by bstein14 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:51 pm

Both Ball and Williams are looking like they are going to be really good. If o ky there wasn't a pandemic we would have player ourselves down to a top 4 pick.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#82 » by vege » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:58 pm

Han Solo wrote:
vege wrote:
Han Solo wrote:Josh and Sekou are in the dog house.

They have to play their way out of it. Josh looked like a MIP candidate, to looking scared two games after his injury.

Hopefully he isn’t 100%. Doesn’t look like the same guy. Doesn’t help when Casey yanks him after 3 mins.

Josh Jackson is coming back from an injury, he probably shoudn't even been playing.

Sekou is not deserving any minutes at all, he's been trash and he is hidding on offense.

Bey is playing well and he is getting more and more minutes. I rather Bey get minutes than Sekou.

I’m over watching Wayne Ellington play.

Ellington and Svi are not playing well, almost the entire team played poorly today.

Frank Jackson was good in the first half, then he was a disaster in the 2nd half. Stewart is bad, he plays hard, but that's about it. Okafor is fine on offense but a complete liability on defense.

We can't grab rebounds. We can't shoot. We don't have a competent PG. We can't defend at all. The team is a mess, the only reason the games are close is because once teams have a big lead, they underestimate us, and some of our guys play really hard and never give up.

We have 3 good starters (jackson/Bey/Grant) and 3 ok bench players (Rose/Wright/Plumlee) the rest of the team is laughable.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,062

Post#83 » by MrBigShot » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:52 am

All star front court positions can be competitive. Our record I think keeps Grant out unfortunately even if he keeps this up, off chance he could make it as an injury replacement maybe.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#84 » by edmunder_prc » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:24 am

Good game to skip. First one I havent watched, will see if the replay is on and throw it on mute while I get some stuff done.

Sad to see Josh Jackson and Svi, both, in a big slump. Severe lack of shooting.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#85 » by Pharaoh » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:25 am

That's a massive improvement on last season and 5 of the 6 guys you named were acquired in the off-season.

Yeah we suck but I'm really looking forward to next off-season already.
vege wrote:
Han Solo wrote:
vege wrote:
Josh Jackson is coming back from an injury, he probably shoudn't even been playing.

Sekou is not deserving any minutes at all, he's been trash and he is hidding on offense.

Bey is playing well and he is getting more and more minutes. I rather Bey get minutes than Sekou.

I’m over watching Wayne Ellington play.

Ellington and Svi are not playing well, almost the entire team played poorly today.

Frank Jackson was good in the first half, then he was a disaster in the 2nd half. Stewart is bad, he plays hard, but that's about it. Okafor is fine on offense but a complete liability on defense.

We can't grab rebounds. We can't shoot. We don't have a competent PG. We can't defend at all. The team is a mess, the only reason the games are close is because once teams have a big lead, they underestimate us, and some of our guys play really hard and never give up.

We have 3 good starters (jackson/Bey/Grant) and 3 ok bench players (Rose/Wright/Plumlee) the rest of the team is laughable.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#86 » by 440BB » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:54 am

Watching us play hard and stay close until the last minute or two has been entertaining while the losses are valuable. Warts and all I like how this is playing out so far, other than the Hayes injury. Competitive play, vets being dangled out there as possible trade bait and rookies getting decent minutes if they can handle it.

So far we're on track to win 14-15 games. That should keep us in the bottom two or three.

The 2021 draft is looking good.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#87 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:14 am

Grant might have better stats then Wood after tonight
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#88 » by ducler » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:28 am

Sekou and Casey must both hate each other.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#89 » by El Chivo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:24 am

Fire that boomer of a coach.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
vege
RealGM

Post#90 » by vege » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:09 am

ducler wrote:Sekou and Casey must both hate each other.

No, Sekou has just been umplayable bad. He got to do better if he wants to stay in the league. Your french guys have been disapointing, and it's their own fault, stop blaming everything else. We all want them to suceed.
davidvolumes
Junior
And1: 154

Post#91 » by davidvolumes » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:29 am

Svi is unplayable. Blake is unplayable. Sekou is young and should be developed. Casey is going to get himself fired. There is nothing about the way Casey is coaching that appears his primary objective is to develop young Talent.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts

Post#92 » by ducler » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:34 pm

vege wrote:
ducler wrote:Sekou and Casey must both hate each other.

No, Sekou has just been umplayable bad. He got to do better if he wants to stay in the league. Your french guys have been disapointing, and it's their ownn fault, stop blaming everything else. We all want them to suceed.

The main principle of developping a young guy is to let him play beyond his mistakes and help him correct those.

Last game Sekou entered well into the game by going to the FT line, then missed a shot badly and had a TO. Right after that, timeout from Casey and we never saw again him from the game. The game before, he made a nice 3 pointer, then air balled the next. Same thing: right after the air ball, timeout from Casey and we never saw him again.

This developping management is not good and reminds me what SVG did with Stanley Johnson. If there's a chance Sekou become something, it will not happen that way. Put a guy in a doghouse as he's doing youth mistakes is bad coaching development. Here's my opinion.

NB: I don't know why you've got to be a bit aggressive with me, calling "my french guys". I was already a Pistons fan when both Sekou and Killian were still wearing panty layers, and I don't know why my opinion on our youngsters would alter because they're from my country. It's been 13 years we're waiting for a rebuild, now we have one I want it to be done the right way. Play the young guys and let them doing mistakes is the right way.
vege
RealGM

Post#93 » by vege » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:42 pm

ducler wrote:This developping management is not good and reminds me what SVG did with Stanley Johnson.

My point exactly. It's always someone else's fault, never the player.

How was Sekou defense? His effort and body language?

And I know you're a Pistons fan, and will continue to be even after Sekou and Hayes are eventually gone (hopefully in 15 years or so, after several titles and all star appearences from both of them), so I'm not saying you are a fanboy, don't worry about that :)
davidvolumes
Junior
And1: 154

Post#94 » by davidvolumes » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:23 pm

Blake's defense atrocious. He's almost like a statue out there. Svi can barely stay in front of his man. Don't isolate Sekou as a bad defensive player
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,373

Post#95 » by Billl » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:26 pm

I think there is a big difference in mistakes you make while playing hard and mistakes you make being lazy. When Okafor lofted that soft pass cross court, under our basket..... that deserves a quick yank. When Stewart picks up a foul going hard after a rebound.... you let him play through that and learn. Lately, Sekou has been making a lot of low effort plays. If he was driving hard to the basket and was a bit out of control... I'd be upset if he got the hook for that. If he's going to float around the perimeter and then jack up some bad shots? You can't continue to let him develop bad habits like that.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts

Post#96 » by ducler » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:34 pm

vege wrote:
ducler wrote:This developping management is not good and reminds me what SVG did with Stanley Johnson.

And I know you're a Pistons fan, and will continue to be even after Sekou and Hayes are eventually gone (hopefully in 15 years or so, after several titles and all star appearences from both of them), so I'm not saying you are a fanboy, don't worry about that :)

I see what you mean but I disagree a bit with that. In the last 2 games, Sekou started with a positive play. But, at the very first mistake, you can be sure he'll rot on the bench for the rest of the game.

Sekou's reaction is indeed less effort, bad body language, confidence on the way down. Maybe he's a still a bit immature, but if management believes he's a diamond in the rough, he has to play more, at least 10 to 15 minutes a game. Every player is different, and we've seen last year some flashes of something he can become. I want to see more.

But yeah I question the relationship between the coach and the player. I can imagine that Sekou doesn't want to fight for Casey if their relationship is broken. He shouldn't go that route as his professionalism will be questioned again and also it will help Casey's case.

Of course we don't know what's going on in the locker room and at trainings so I could be wrong.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#97 » by ByeByeDre » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:13 pm

ducler wrote:
vege wrote:

I see what you mean but I disagree a bit with that. In the last 2 games, Sekou started with a positive play. But, at the very first mistake, you can be sure he'll rot on the bench for the rest of the game.

Sekou's reaction is indeed less effort, bad body language, confidence on the way down. Maybe he's a still a bit immature, but if management believes he's a diamond in the rough, he has to play more, at least 10 to 15 minutes a game. Every player is different, and we've seen last year some flashes of something he can become. I want to see more.

But yeah I question the relationship between the coach and the player. I can imagine that Sekou doesn't want to fight for Casey if their relationship is broken. He shouldn't go that route as his professionalism will be questioned again and also it will help Casey's case.

Of course we don't know what's going on in the locker room and at trainings so I could be wrong.

Guys, in short, this is what happens when your crazy GM signs two players to gobble up 64 minutes a game instead of your youth! There aren’t that many minutes right now to be had for Bey, Svi, Sekou and Stewart. I like watching Grant play 37 minutes a game, but why exactly is he here? Why is he taking minutes from the four of them? Plumlee at 27 minutes per game isn’t much better - if he wasn’t here, Blake could play small ball five and those minutes could be spread amongst the four of them too.

This is not a rebuild - this is a madman tossing random ingredients into a stew. Right now Casey likes Bey the most and Sekou the least, and I think he’s correct. But instead of the four of them playing 32, 28, 28 and 24 minutes, they play 23, 17, 17 and 11. The additional minutes simply aren’t there right now. And I’m not sure if and when they will be there in the future.......
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#98 » by TurboTitan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:07 pm

I applaud you all for continuing to watch this team, you're stronger than me
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,673

Post#99 » by Invictus88 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:25 pm

Billl wrote:I think there is a big difference in mistakes you make while playing hard and mistakes you make being lazy. When Okafor lofted that soft pass cross court, under our basket..... that deserves a quick yank. When Stewart picks up a foul going hard after a rebound.... you let him play through that and learn. Lately, Sekou has been making a lot of low effort plays. If he was driving hard to the basket and was a bit out of control... I'd be upset if he got the hook for that. If he's going to float around the perimeter and then jack up some bad shots? You can't continue to let him develop bad habits like that.

This. I can't say I'm too mad regarding Sekou not playing much. During the times he has been in he has looked out of sorts and lacked energy compared to other folks on the team. He needs to stand out if he wants to earn more time from Casey and he's just not doing this right now.

I also wouldn't fret too much though from an opportunity standpoint. The season is long and grueling. There are going to be times (likely in the near future) where Grant is going to need a break and Sekou will get a big window of minutes. It's important that he seizes that chance and runs with it.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,760

Post#100 » by Snakebites » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:25 pm

All for the greater good, but man does wanting this team to lose take a TOLL on me as a fan.

I'm tired of feeling conflicted every time we win, and feeling good, but not good about feeling good, when we lose.

:(

Return to Detroit Pistons