ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Thomas Bryant has a torn ACL: OUT until 2021-22

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Re: Woj: Thomas Bryant has a torn ACL: OUT until 2021-22 

Post#21 » by NatP4 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:16 pm

payitforward wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if we'd signed Nathan Knight undrafted -- instead of letting Atlanta have him? Most of us wanted Mathews promoted to the regular squad, which would have made room for Knight on a 2-way deal.

Ditto-Yoeli Childs.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#22 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:27 pm

Where is Yoeli Childs these days?

Is the gogo part of the G league bubble? If so, that's likely where he is. If not... who knows?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#23 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:30 pm

They should play Bertans at center, make him earn that money! :roll:
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#24 » by Dat2U » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:51 pm

I feel for Bryant. Glad he got a solid pay day and is taken care of. Its not an ideal injury for a guy who's biggest issue was foot speed and lateral quickness.

It only reinforces the idea the Wizards will need to address the C position. You hope Bryant comes back next year but now you certainly have to add someone that could potentially start.

This was also part of the reason why I found it ridiculous that Shepp was only interested in finding a backup C and not a guy that could challenge Bryant for his spot. Depth matters. Wasting salary on Robin Lopez ensured if Bryant went down, the season was a wrap.

Trading for a backup C isn't going to do much. Westbrook needs spacing and probably the best option is to go small at C with Hachimura or maybe even Bonga.
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Re: Thomas Bryant Knee Injury Thread 

Post#25 » by JAR69 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:52 pm

nate33 wrote:Looking around the league for a stopgap replacement, and the best guy I can come up with is Tony Bradley. He's the 3rd string center in Philly behind Embiid and Dwight. He is on an expiring deal worth $3.54M, almost the exact same money as Jerome Robinson (3.73M). Would Philly be interested in more backcourt depth?

Khem Birch from Orlando is also an option. But he's getting 20 minutes a game as a rotation player so they wouldn't just give him away for Robinson and I'm not interested in exchange real future value for a stopgap.

It's too bad we didn't opt in on Wagner's final year. He's going to get a lot of minutes now and that may boost his trade value to the point that he is at least worth a 2nd round pick or something. But now since he's a free agent this summer, rendering him valueless.

The other two I've thought about are resigning Ian Mahinmi and signing Dewayne Demond. Both seem to be unsigned FAs, who may be available for the minimum. Wouldn't caught us anything, and could be better than Bradley (though probably not as good as Birch).
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#26 » by WallToWall » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:06 pm

Feel for Bryant. He was having his best season yet. Hope he comes back healthy and strong. ACL injuries can be notoriously bad, and as a team, we dont have the best of luck. I hope the medical staff works well with him and he doesnt come back too soon.
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#27 » by smoothSeph » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:19 pm

TB needs a year to get his body right, tearing an ACL on a turned ankle is really uncommon.

Wishing him a quick recovery though.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#28 » by tontoz » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:21 pm

What a bummer :(
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#29 » by TGW » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:01 am

WallToWall wrote:Feel for Bryant. He was having his best season yet. Hope he comes back healthy and strong. ACL injuries can be notoriously bad, and as a team, we dont have the best of luck. I hope the medical staff works well with him and he doesnt come back too soon.

He wasn't just having his best season. He was the second best player on the team. The Wizards FO should be begging Silver to cancel the season because this joint is OVER.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#30 » by payitforward » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:00 am

JAR69 wrote:
nate33 wrote:Looking around the league for a stopgap replacement, and the best guy I can come up with is Tony Bradley. He's the 3rd string center in Philly behind Embiid and Dwight. He is on an expiring deal worth $3.54M, almost the exact same money as Jerome Robinson (3.73M). Would Philly be interested in more backcourt depth?

Khem Birch from Orlando is also an option. But he's getting 20 minutes a game as a rotation player so they wouldn't just give him away for Robinson and I'm not interested in exchange real future value for a stopgap.

It's too bad we didn't opt in on Wagner's final year. He's going to get a lot of minutes now and that may boost his trade value to the point that he is at least worth a 2nd round pick or something. But now since he's a free agent this summer, rendering him valueless.

The other two I've thought about are resigning Ian Mahinmi and signing Dewayne Dedmon. Both seem to be unsigned FAs, who may be available for the minimum. Wouldn't caught us anything, and could be better than Bradley (though probably not as good as Birch).

Bradley is much the better choice for the simple reason that he just turned 23 -- he is all of 1 month older than Rui. He has a ton of upside.

OTOH, I doubt he's available. Take a look at this box score: https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401267293
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#31 » by payitforward » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:01 am

I just realized... Covid is going to make trades extremely difficult!
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#32 » by JAR69 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:53 pm

payitforward wrote:
JAR69 wrote:

The other two I've thought about are resigning Ian Mahinmi and signing Dewayne Dedmon. Both seem to be unsigned FAs, who may be available for the minimum. Wouldn't caught us anything, and could be better than Bradley (though probably not as good as Birch).

Bradley is much the better choice for the simple reason that he just turned 23 -- he is all of 1 month older than Rui. He has a ton of upside.

OTOH, I doubt he's available. Take a look at this box score: https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401267293

Can't say I'm shocked. He had a couple of games like that last year for Utah, including one in the bubble when he went for 15 pts and 11 boards on 7-9 shooting. Now he is going to cost us something if we want him.

I also don't think that upside is what we are looking for now. If we want to retain Beal, we need a good stopgap who is ready to help now. Bradley probably is that, though he doesn't have a track record. That's why my thoughts are going to unsigned free agent vets who can help now. Mahinmi is solid on D, knows most of the other players, and is likely to be very cheap. Dedmon was decent for Atlanta in 2018-19, but really terrible offensively last year (Ian was far better).

OTOH, if we don't want to keep Beal, then it doesn't really matter.
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,323

Post#33 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:02 pm

JAR69 wrote:Can't say I'm shocked. He had a couple of games like that last year for Utah, including one in the bubble when he went for 15 pts and 11 boards on 7-9 shooting. Now he is going to cost us something if we want him.

I also don't think that upside is what we are looking for now. If we want to retain Beal, we need a good stopgap who is ready to help now. Bradley probably is that, though he doesn't have a track record. That's why my thoughts are going to unsigned free agent vets who can help now. Mahinmi is solid on D, knows most of the other players, and is likely to be very cheap. Dedmon was decent for Atlanta in 2018-19, but really terrible offensively last year (Ian was far better).

Ian Mahinmi might actually be the best option. Does anybody know where he is right now? Does he live in the area? Did he move back to France? Did he try out for other teams?
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#34 » by TGW » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:14 pm

I think Goga Bitadze would be a good option. He doesn't get much run in Indiana, and I think he's a player that could flourish if a team gives him minutes.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#35 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:16 pm

payitforward wrote:Justin Patton is on OKC's G League team. No... that's a year ago. The Clippers acquired him as part of the (whatsisname...?) deal on draft night then waived him.

Check this out --

Patton was Troy Weaver's first signing as GM with the Pistons, but I don't see his name on their roster. Speaking of former Bucks G League centers (no, not Christian Wood), Dragan Bender is playing for Maccabi Tel Aviv - Deni Avdija's former team.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,930

Post#36 » by Frichuela » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:18 pm

TGW wrote:I think Goga Bitadze would be a good option. He doesn't get much run in Indiana, and I think he's a player that could flourish if a team gives him minutes.

I like Goga but what would Indiana want in return? I am sure they won't be satisfied with a Jerome Robinson...are we willing to part ways with Troy Brown or Isaac Bonga? I could see Indiana interested in one of them.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,323

Post#37 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:33 pm

Frichuela wrote:
TGW wrote:I think Goga Bitadze would be a good option. He doesn't get much run in Indiana, and I think he's a player that could flourish if a team gives him minutes.

I like Goga but what would Indiana want in return? I am sure they won't be satisfied with a Jerome Robinson...are we willing to part ways with Troy Brown or Isaac Bonga? I could see Indiana interested in one of them.

Yes, it would have to be Brown or Bonga. That's something worth considering.

One big advantage of the trade is that Bitadze still has 2.5 years left on his rookie contract. Bonga's contract is up this summer and Brown's is up next summer. A trade of one of those guys would at least buy us some more time before we have to make payroll-inflating decisions on who to keep on their second contract.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#38 » by NatP4 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:34 pm

I would look at John Henson. Good rim protector and rebounder. I’m pretty sure he’s a free agent right now.

No clue why he’s not on a NBA team
NatP4
RealGM

Post#39 » by NatP4 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:00 pm

With the position the team is in, it’s probably best to go for a young player with potential. My list would be:

Jordan Bell, Yoeli Childs, Deyonta Davis

Would really like to see Childs get an extended look at backup C.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#40 » by DCZards » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:34 pm

nate33 wrote:
JAR69 wrote:Can't say I'm shocked. He had a couple of games like that last year for Utah, including one in the bubble when he went for 15 pts and 11 boards on 7-9 shooting. Now he is going to cost us something if we want him.

Ian Mahinmi might actually be the best option. Does anybody know where he is right now? Does he live in the area? Did he move back to France? Did he try out for other teams?

You're probably right about Ian being the best option. When he was healthy last season, he was a very good interior defender. He'd also be cheap.

I'd also take a shot at Patton though. I remember him well from his one season at Creighton where he was an excellent rebounder and shotblocker.

Return to Washington Wizards