Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread 

Post#821 » by neiLz » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:36 am

Nice win... Badgers battled.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#822 » by RiotPunch » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:38 am

Nice when Trice and Davison play like seniors. Wahl with the daggers, good for him. :D
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,169
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#823 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:45 am

Did not deserve that game but I’ll take it.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,724

Post#824 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:13 am

What was the deal with Potter? Heard he got in an argument with the coaching staff?
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#825 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:50 am

HaroldinGMinor wrote:What was the deal with Potter? Heard he got in an argument with the coaching staff?

I had the sound off so I'm not sure if the announcers had much to add, but Indiana's run to take the lead was basically all wide open post entries/dunks. I think Reuvers was in for a few but they were mostly Potter, of which it is not his first time being out of position on defense...he seemed frustrated probably both with his bad positioning and also probably just a bit butthurt getting called out by the coaches.

I don't think it was a huge deal - mostly frustration. Reuvers played the final 5+ minutes plus almost all of both overtimes (and was great, finally)...but Potter did get in for like 2 minutes in one of the overtimes...so probably water under the bridge.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#826 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:13 am

Gard was also quoted as saying he was so mad about the defense he just put his 5 best defensive players out there and hoped for the best over the last 5 or so minutes of regulation + OT.

Thankfully Trice has elevated into a reliable scorer to kinda carry things. I love Davis' potential but he isn't a great outside shooter yet. Ditto on Wahl, Reuvers we know has been meh. So Davison and Trice created a lot of the offense down the stretch, mostly Davison. Defense was great.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,995

Post#827 » by midranger » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:30 am

Potter is the least aware/instinctive defender I remember the badgers playing major minutes. He’s awful on that end. Reuvers was just buttery soft and getting overwhelmed early in the second half. They started sending help in the post and it lead to some open threes/layups off cuts but overall stopped the at will post scoring.

Not sure what Ford did to find the dog house specifically, he just wasn’t very effective overall.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#828 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:18 am

looked to me like they bumped up the on ball pressure so IU couldn't make easy entry passes.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#829 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:19 am

seeing a true freshman out there for all of crunch time was pretty cool
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#830 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:17 pm

midranger wrote:Potter is the least aware/instinctive defender I remember the badgers playing major minutes. He’s awful on that end. Reuvers was just buttery soft and getting overwhelmed early in the second half. They started sending help in the post and it lead to some open threes/layups off cuts but overall stopped the at will post scoring.

Not sure what Ford did to find the dog house specifically, he just wasn’t very effective overall.

I thought Ford was fine. He had 8 points in a very short stretch early where I thought the Badgers were going to run away with the game.

But the 5 guys that played at the end are all clearly the best defenders. They’re all good.

Davis is a stud. If he can get his shot going he’ll be great. But his defense/rebounding and quickness to get some scores is already awesome.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,661

Post#831 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:26 pm

I was only able to catch bits and pieces last night, but glad they were able to hang on and win. I saw Wahl's back-to-back 3s in double, and one of Trice's big shots (the floater) to help get us there. My take from around the web is that we probably shouldn't have won this one, but I'll take what I can get - always, I suppose, but especially with how loaded the conf is.

It is a little painful looking at how Maryland is the kid everyone beats up...except us.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,478

Post#832 » by neiLz » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:32 pm

I think they can't play potter and reuvers together a lot. Reuvers isn't as quick to rotate and potter just gives up too much with his bad positioning. It leaves a ton of dunks and layups.
bhchrist
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#833 » by bhchrist » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:36 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:I was only able to catch bits and pieces last night, but glad they were able to hang on and win. I saw Wahl's back-to-back 3s in double, and one of Trice's big shots (the floater) to help get us there. My take from around the web is that we probably shouldn't have won this one, but I'll take what I can get - always, I suppose, but especially with how loaded the conf is.

It is a little painful looking at how Maryland is the kid everyone beats up...except us.

In the B1G, always take care in proclaiming teams, lol, as Maryland's "bench energy" was certainly responsible for taking down what seems to be in the minds of the media, the most talented B1G team in the Illini.

It is interesting that UW championship teams seem to mix in one loss to a bottom quartile team, be it NU (either), Rutgers, or other, in their championship season. Really looking forward to tomorrow's match with Michigan. Two oldest teams in the B1G, talented FR center for UM, a Michigan team that leads the league in TO% (unheard of under Beilein). UW has had UM's number for a long time. Still don't know what to expect under Howard.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#834 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:59 pm

bhchrist wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:I was only able to catch bits and pieces last night, but glad they were able to hang on and win. I saw Wahl's back-to-back 3s in double, and one of Trice's big shots (the floater) to help get us there. My take from around the web is that we probably shouldn't have won this one, but I'll take what I can get - always, I suppose, but especially with how loaded the conf is.

In the B1G, always take care in proclaiming teams, lol, as Maryland's "bench energy" was certainly responsible for taking down what seems to be in the minds of the media, the most talented B1G team in the Illini.

It is interesting that UW championship teams seem to mix in one loss to a bottom quartile team, be it NU (either), Rutgers, or other, in their championship season. Really looking forward to tomorrow's match with Michigan. Two oldest teams in the B1G, talented FR center for UM, a Michigan team that leads the league in TO% (unheard of under Beilein). UW has had UM's number for a long time. Still don't know what to expect under Howard.

I will admit being wrong (very briefly, and not very aggressively) about Howard. They were starting to look shaky last year and the defense was really shaky and I went into the, "is Howard not a great Xs and Os coach?" We all know he can recruit - but unless they crumble real soon this year, I think we can all agree that he can also coach.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#835 » by buckboy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:03 pm

I think Howard is a very good coach. I also think he'll be a very good NBA coach very soon, fortunately.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,274

Post#836 » by Finn » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:31 pm

Define "very soon".
bhchrist
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#837 » by bhchrist » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:44 pm

buckboy wrote:I think Howard is a very good coach. I also think he'll be a very good NBA coach very soon, fortunately.

I tend to agree with you, but can't say I am fully sold at the college level. The TO factor is interesting to keep an eye on, as the dreaded sample size is small. UM's schedule is the most favorable so far as any major in the country. I always enjoyed Howard as a player in college and the NBA. Got to see his Fab 5 team play live 3 times in college (@UW, vs. UW @ Mich, and @MSU when I was at school there). Something about him made me a fan.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#838 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:48 pm

And for the record, when I said, "is Howard a good coach" it was specifically to college. Obviously he has basketball chops as a good/intelligent player and assistant for good teams. But some guys don't do the college game as well and vice versa.

Yeah, we'll see if this holds a little while longer given the high TO%, but signs are pointing to him being good.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#839 » by buckboy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:07 pm

Finn wrote:Define "very soon".

By the summer of 2023. My opinion. Not really based on much of anything other than logic (maybe).
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,274

Post#840 » by Finn » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:08 am

buckboy wrote:
Finn wrote:Define "very soon".

By the summer of 2023. My opinion. Not really based on much of anything other than logic (maybe).

Fair enough. Though I think you're wrong.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks