ImageImageImage

Iowa Wolves/G League talk

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Re: Iowa Wolves/G League talk 

Post#601 » by K4P » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:29 am

Poor Bazz lol. Should have just taken the 40 million.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,291

Post#602 » by Calinks » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:26 am

Damn Shabazz back in the US? Actually want to see him play. His agent screwed him if he didn't push him to take that 40 million lol.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Post#603 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:30 am

Fun fact: Iowa got the pick they used on Allonzo Trier by trading Amile Jefferson.

They made one other pick today, acquired from the OKC Blue in the deal that also netted us Tyler Cook. That trade was Cook and No. 17 today (Dakarai Tucker) for James Webb III's rights (signed overseas) and No. 7 today (Zavier Simpson).
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,973

Post#604 » by wolves_89 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:16 pm

Iowa Wolves back in action tonight. It's not quite as interesting this season since most of the Wolves young prospects are getting playing time in the NBA, but it's still useful since there are probably a few guys who could get a chance with the big club at some point this season.
wolves_89
Head Coach

Post#605 » by wolves_89 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:25 pm

Does anyone know what the rules are for guys going up and down between the NBA and G-League? Can Culver go down and play a few rehab games?
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#606 » by Jedzz » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:32 pm

wolves_89 wrote:Iowa Wolves back in action tonight. It's not quite as interesting this season since most of the Wolves young prospects are getting playing time in the NBA, but it's still useful since there are probably a few guys who could get a chance with the big club at some point this season.

I just don't see much point in following them at all now. In Klomp's post before yours he mentioned how Jefferson and Webb III rights were moved for other pieces. These are two players that maybe should have been kept/tested with the main team given their positions and how well they played for Iowa. Then I saw the JMac contract treatment, him not playing much this season and I think, what's the point. Rosas made claims that anyone could be sent there for development but it was also a lie. No player drafted in first round will ever develop from there under him after seeing him play/start Culver with main team through struggles and instead keep someone like Nowell down there the longest. The only reason Reid didn't get stuck down there was that they just didn't have any other bigs to play center as fill for Towns. The only reason JMac and Martin got plenty of up time was the injuries. It doesn't appear to matter how they play for Iowa or the Main team, they will likely never earn a contract or true role if their first connection to Wolves was through that Gleague team. Things can change but it doesn't bode well for reasons to get interested in those guys.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#607 » by Norseman79 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:18 pm

I swear Rosas is allergic to athletic 7' who can run and block shots....
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#608 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:09 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#609 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:15 pm

Jedzz wrote:I just don't see much point in following them at all now. In Klomp's post before yours he mentioned how Jefferson and Webb III rights were moved for other pieces. These are two players that maybe should have been kept/tested with the main team given their positions and how well they played for Iowa. Then I saw the JMac contract treatment, him not playing much this season and I think, what's the point. Rosas made claims that anyone could be sent there for development but it was also a lie. No player drafted in first round will ever develop from there under him after seeing him play/start Culver with main team through struggles and instead keep someone like Nowell down there the longest. The only reason Reid didn't get stuck down there was that they just didn't have any other bigs to play center as fill for Towns. The only reason JMac and Martin got plenty of up time was the injuries. It doesn't appear to matter how they play for Iowa or the Main team, they will likely never earn a contract or true role if their first connection to Wolves was through that Gleague team. Things can change but it doesn't bode well for reasons to get interested in those guys.

Naz was a 2-way first, earned a standard contract. Had nothing to do with the depth of bigs, as Minnesota had Towns, Dieng, Vonleh, etc at the time. Nowell and Vanderbilt also seem to be carving out roles.

I don't know how the team felt about Webb, but the fact is he was already 28 with no real NBA interest from anyone. That's why he went overseas, which is why Iowa traded his returning player rights.

wolves_89
Head Coach

Post#610 » by wolves_89 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:17 pm

Norseman79 wrote:I swear Rosas is allergic to athletic 7' who can run and block shots....

The Iowa Wolves are really small and don't seem to have a real center on the roster. It looks like they have 7 G, 2 G-F, and 3 F with only 2 guys 6'8" or taller. The roster for the NBA Wolves is small, but the Iowa group takes it to another level.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#611 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:21 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:I swear Rosas is allergic to athletic 7' who can run and block shots....

The Iowa Wolves are really small and don't seem to have a real center on the roster. It looks like they have 7 G, 2 G-F, and 3 F with only 2 guys 6'8" or taller. The roster for the NBA Wolves is small, but the Iowa group takes it to another level.

If the point is to develop pieces to supplement your NBA roster, why waste time on Cs when your NBA club has its franchise guy plus a young developing guy locked in longterm?

Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#612 » by Norseman79 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:41 pm

Klomp wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:

If the point is to develop pieces to supplement your NBA roster, why waste time on Cs when your NBA club has its franchise guy plus a young developing guy locked in longterm?

I am sorry, I didn't realize we had a 7' athletic rebounding shot blocker on the active roster...I know we have Naz who is about 6'9 and Kat who looks about 6'10....sure would be nice to develop a big who could handle playing against some of the big guys in the West.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#613 » by Jedzz » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:20 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:I just don't see much point in following them at all now. In Klomp's post before yours he mentioned how Jefferson and Webb III rights were moved for other pieces. These are two players that maybe should have been kept/tested with the main team given their positions and how well they played for Iowa. Then I saw the JMac contract treatment, him not playing much this season and I think, what's the point. Rosas made claims that anyone could be sent there for development but it was also a lie. No player drafted in first round will ever develop from there under him after seeing him play/start Culver with main team through struggles and instead keep someone like Nowell down there the longest. The only reason Reid didn't get stuck down there was that they just didn't have any other bigs to play center as fill for Towns. The only reason JMac and Martin got plenty of up time was the injuries. It doesn't appear to matter how they play for Iowa or the Main team, they will likely never earn a contract or true role if their first connection to Wolves was through that Gleague team. Things can change but it doesn't bode well for reasons to get interested in those guys.

Naz was a 2-way first, earned a standard contract. Had nothing to do with the depth of bigs, as Minnesota had Towns, Dieng, Vonleh, etc at the time. Nowell and Vanderbilt also seem to be carving out roles.
You know what Klomp. Usually your answer is correct, even if meaningless to the point at hand. This one is just 90% bs.

Vanderbilt, the only player that has gotten on the court over previous players due to play level. And that's because of the GM's horrible roster construction without enough bigs and him and his coach allowing two players to start the season completely out of shape as their PFs.

Towns missed half of last season and most of this one. This is exactly why Reid had to be pulled up. Vonleh? He was already tested and pulled out of the rotation/traded. Nowell now?...Culver hurt his ankle otherwise does not play. But Rosas is loving the fact he's been increasing his trade value, i guarantee that. he's outa here as soon as Rosas can find a taker so he can force his top draft choices on us forever.

Can you or can you not admit Culver should have seen time in the Gleague?
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#614 » by old school 34 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:35 am

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:

You know what Klomp. Usually your answer is correct, even if meaningless to the point at hand. This one is just 90% bs.

Vanderbilt, the only player that has gotten on the court over previous players due to play level. And that's because of the GM's horrible roster construction without enough bigs and him and his coach allowing two players to start the season completely out of shape as their PFs.

Towns missed half of last season and most of this one. This is exactly why Reid had to be pulled up. Vonleh? He was already tested and pulled out of the rotation/traded. Nowell now?...Culver hurt his ankle otherwise does not play. But Rosas is loving the fact he's been increasing his trade value, i guarantee that. he's outa here as soon as Rosas can find a taker so he can force his top draft choices on us forever.

Jedzz...I got no problem if Culver spent some time down in the G-league...but that generally happens on teams with playoff roster talent. If we ever get there...with Rosas ensure his 1sts go there to get PT & opportunities to develop....I believe so? I think that was the plan for Naz initially and he kind of played his way out fairly quickly--did an injury give him that opportunity...sure, but that's the case for most of these guys?

Where you lose me some...is just how far you take it &/or how you just assume by giving all these types of guys shots it would be so much more successful? I get it, we suck & gotta turn over every stone...but even the best player development teams out there...it's not like their producing 3 of these guys a year?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#615 » by Jedzz » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:11 am

old school 34 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:Naz was a 2-way first, earned a standard contract. Had nothing to do with the depth of bigs, as Minnesota had Towns, Dieng, Vonleh, etc at the time. Nowell and Vanderbilt also seem to be carving out roles.

Jedzz...I got no problem if Culver spent some time down in the G-league...but that generally happens on teams with playoff roster talent. If we ever get there...with Rosas ensure his 1sts go there to get PT & opportunities to develop....I believe so? I think that was the plan for Naz initially and he kind of played his way out fairly quickly--did an injury give him that opportunity...sure, but that's the case for most of these guys?

Where you lose me some...is just how far you take it &/or how you just assume by giving all these types of guys shots it would be so much more successful? I get it, we suck & gotta turn over every stone...but even the best player development teams out there...it's not like their producing 3 of these guys a year?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

Getting blown out to start games by 73 points in two quarters pretty much confirms what we all already knew. This team doesn't match up well with very many teams. They have a significant size issue against most teams yet they have enough fire power at times to get back into these messes. Imagine if they had less self created holes and weaknesses.

Now they had two larger, and stronger player types playing really high levels in the Gleague. They once again chose to move on. I'm sorry you feel I'm being too strong about this, but they could have made drafting forwards more of a goal but didn't. They had Okogie all locked up not just on the roster but as starting...at PF and SF roles. He started in this last game against Clippers again and in the third quarter this mistake came home to roost again and the team blew yet another lead.

They had Nowell who had higher gameIQ already in him buried in the Gleague while Culver struggled with gameIQ and shooting. Allowed Culver to play through it and found out he wouldn't be capable of that as a rookie any time soon last year. They knew somewhat what they might have in Nowell which made them spend a second round pick on him. But they refused to admit that Culver might actually have been the one that needed our Gleague team time. This is one example from last year where a player might have been usable and never needed to go to the Gleague vs one that absolutely could have benefitted from it.

The rest of the guys from the Gleague weren't assumed as necessary for the year until all the injuries and quiting on the season by the coach and starters. It's really the only reason any of them played at all. All the guys that went to the Gleague last season first had to adjust their game speed to the speed of that level. Then after being pulled up to fill in for all the injuries and quitters on last season they had to get used to the speed of the NBA. Each one of them showed a rough couple of games to start even though being launched into higher minute roles right away, because they had to transition to that speed. But since they were replacing injured players that gave them a real role and minutes it didn't take too long. At 3 to 10 minute stints late in the season, Nowell when finally getting a chance to play didn't get a chance to make that second transition. It's too bad, he's already made that transition this year in 11 played games averging 17 minutes and scoring in double digits 8 of 11 times, maybe still in progress, but already visibly playable. He's only cracked 20 minutes a few times. Martin, JMac, Reid, those guys all were thrown into larger roles much sooner and it helped them transition last year. The point is Nowell is proving what I was saying last year that he could have been our 17-23 minute guard instead of Culver last year. But it simply could not happen because Rosas lied, the Gleague isn't possible for everyone.

Even forget Culver, remember last year when after Rosas statements about any player might end up in G, that many people felt that if Okogie continued to struggle that he might spend some time in Gleague where he could work on things with more time and less pressure? But nope. Because he was a #20 first round pick. Can't happen. Could have been Nowell playing a guard role instead of Okogie taking a roster spot and someone else in the SF roles last year. At least for a stretch of games somewhere in a blown season. Could have been Jefferson or James Webb instead of Okogie for a good stretch last season, even this season if things went well.

These things can't get better because imaginary former draft statuses rule tiny brains around here. There is no way to sugarcoat this problem as it impacts contracts, minutes, and now Gleague utilization. It can be seen in everything and people wonder why we can't build a team without huge holes in the roster every year. The Gleague was supposed to expand their roster reach, help them develop and select from more players within their system. But it's only being used for cheap injury temp work stash use for the players that will never earn enough respect no matter what they do. I've used the Miami heat as an example before for what they did last season. They have a gleague team as well. Where did second year man Duncan Robinson come from? The Gleague to starter in the finals in second season. That team was already starting an young undrafted PG during the season and some playoff games as well. They gave the players actually producing a chance and didn't care where they came from. What is the difference between the Heat and Timberwolves. Well, there is one big massive difference right there. This team can't start an undrafted PG if there are former first rounders around. It can't start an undrafted or second round guard if there are other first rounders around. That's all that matters here, not play level. I'm taking it too far? No one is taking this far enough or serious enough if you ask me.

Wednesday's game was the last game of my paid coverage of Wolves basketball games. I thought it was gone a few weeks ago but found out I had longer. That isn't cheap anymore. Someone else can care if they want to further. I'm not watching Rosas horriblly misguided choices anymore after this blown offseason. I'm not watching Ryan's stubborn in game lunacy anymore. We thought Thibs was stubborn. Hah! Thibs would never have let Okogie get singled out that badly and kept running him back to that same corner for more minutes there. And how many complete game leads to we have to see dry up and flip the wrong direction before Ryan adjusts the rotation? Now he's calling timeouts after the lead is lost and sending the same players right back out there after a pep talk? Enough for me for a while. I'll check in here and get end game scores sent to my phone, maybe after hearing of wins I'll find a clip to watch. But I honestly don't think anyone should spend money/time on this right now until they get serious one day. The only way they change is if the viewers force them to think more about what they've been doing wrong. I doubt enough will give it up. Some others really care and if they want to stick it out good for them. I can no longer handle the repeat mistakes. I can't keep quiet about it any longer, never have been able to, but that's why I started posting. But it's not healthy.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#616 » by Jedzz » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:46 am

Patton is now with Westchester Knicks and there are three centers there. what a waste. He'll get 12-17 minutes a game, aimless basketball still just meant on working on specific players per game. Wolves gleague, nobody over 6-8. He could get work in the Wolves system that supposedly has KAT and Reid as crucial parts of it, so needs at least one big supposedly. Iowa Wolves, none there developing.

Should make us wonder when he plans on trading KAT who doesn't seem to fit what Rosas wants to develop here. They really need 10 guards developing in the Gleague on top of the logjam they already have on the NBA team? I guess so, that's the makeup of the Iowa Wolves this year.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#617 » by Norseman79 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:05 pm

Jedzz wrote:

Patton is now with Westchester Knicks and there are three centers there. what a waste. He'll get 12-17 minutes a game, aimless basketball still just meant on working on specific players per game. Wolves gleague, nobody over 6-8. He could get work in the Wolves system that supposedly has KAT and Reid as crucial parts of it, so needs at least one big supposedly. Iowa Wolves, none there developing.

Should make us wonder when he plans on trading KAT who doesn't seem to fit what Rosas wants to develop here. They really need 10 guards developing in the Gleague on top of the logjam they already have on the NBA team? I guess so, that's the makeup of the Iowa Wolves this year.

Given the style he wants to play, shouldn't he be looking for every athletic 6'9-7' guy he can sign to work on and develop a 3pt shot?

My Lord, it's the Gleague, if you want to groom players to fit your system, at least do it with guys that if they develop you have something special.

A 6'9 SF type that is athletic and can hit 35% from 3??? Sign him up

A 6'11 PF with elite athleticism and a shot in progress? Sign him up

7'2" center that can run and jump, is mobile and has a build to him, sign him and see how he develops.

We currently have 3 (DLoL, Rubio, JMac) pgs, 5 (Beasley, Edwards, Culver, Okoge, Nowell) sgs, and 2 (Mcdaniels and Layman) Sfs, 3 (Vanderbilt and Juancho, Davis if you count him) PFs and 2 (Towns and Naz) cs on our pro team....where does it seem like we need depth development.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#618 » by Jedzz » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:44 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Given the style he wants to play, shouldn't he be looking for every athletic 6'9-7' guy he can sign to work on and develop a 3pt shot?

My Lord, it's the Gleague, if you want to groom players to fit your system, at least do it with guys that if they develop you have something special.

A 6'9 SF type that is athletic and can hit 35% from 3??? Sign him up

A 6'11 PF with elite athleticism and a shot in progress? Sign him up

7'2" center that can run and jump, is mobile and has a build to him, sign him and see how he develops.

We currently have 3 (DLoL, Rubio, JMac) pgs, 5 (Beasley, Edwards, Culver, Okoge, Nowell) sgs, and 2 (Mcdaniels and Layman) Sfs, 3 (Vanderbilt and Juancho, Davis if you count him) PFs and 2 (Towns and Naz) cs on our pro team....where does it seem like we need depth development.

You are 100% right. Next year instead of 10 guards in Iowa wolves it may be 14. I'm sure I would laugh to the point of tears if I got a chance to hear them explain what they think they are doing.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#619 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:35 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:Naz was a 2-way first, earned a standard contract. Had nothing to do with the depth of bigs, as Minnesota had Towns, Dieng, Vonleh, etc at the time. Nowell and Vanderbilt also seem to be carving out roles.

July 5, 2019 - Reid signed a two-way contract
July 18, 2019 - Reid's two-way contract was converted to a standard NBA minimum contract

What injury did Towns have two Julys ago that caused this?

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#620 » by Jedzz » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:26 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

July 5, 2019 - Reid signed a two-way contract
July 18, 2019 - Reid's two-way contract was converted to a standard NBA minimum contract

What injury did Towns have two Julys ago that caused this?

This example of yours has no bearing on this discussion whatsoever. That question is not related to the topic.

As I said prior your examples do not apply to this and are more BS to this discussion. I only brought up Town's injuries and missed play that come after in response to show what opened the door for Reid's starts and high minutes. They have nothing to do with Reid being given a nearly instantaneous contract conversion before he even played in the gleague. This is exactly why I suggested you throwing these names into the ring does not apply to this disucssion.

Reid's conversion of two way to contract in 13 days by your dates proves how his situation has absolutely no reason to be in this discussion.

If you want to discuss actual Gleague players being brought in specifically to first play there on Gleague deals I'm willing to discuss further. I believe the suggestion that Reid fits this is either you misunderstanding of the topic being discussed at best or a disengenuous act to subvert at worst. Rosas is just spinning wheels and going nowhere. Got great play from the original two in the discussion, trading their rights for others like Cook who then looked good in preseason, then dump him too? What's the point of this sGleague team? Like I said, nothing but injury insurance to him.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves