Image ImageImage Image

Around the NBA: 2020-21 Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,346

Re: Around the NBA: 2020-21 Season 

Post#641 » by DASMACKDOWN » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:12 am

To tell you the truth, I never really got mad at Thibs, till I found out what Joakim Noah was going thru in that DPOY season. Then I really changed my whole perspective on him.

Thibs knew Noah was running on a bad knee for a whole month and he still had him at 38 mins a night. That is just reckless.
Noah running on a compromised knee obviously made it worse and he never recovered from it.
The Cult of Personality
Butler4thewin
Sixth Man
And1: 532

Post#642 » by Butler4thewin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:29 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:To tell you the truth, I never really got mad at Thibs, till I found out what Joakim Noah was going thru in that DPOY season. Then I really changed my whole perspective on him.

Thibs knew Noah was running on a bad knee for a whole month and he still had him at 38 mins a night. That is just reckless.
Noah running on a compromised knee obviously made it worse and he never recovered from it.

thats where i found out about what he was doing also through noahs interviews and i remember him saying if he wasnt the coach he would hate him or something along those lines
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Post#643 » by Red8911 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:04 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:To tell you the truth, I never really got mad at Thibs, till I found out what Joakim Noah was going thru in that DPOY season. Then I really changed my whole perspective on him.

That sounds like bs to me. If Noah’s knee was that bad then he would choose to not play as much or sit games out. Also the trainers wouldn’t let Noah play if the knee was that bad. Thibs helped Noah become the player he was and he should be grateful.

Sure injuries slowed down Noah at the end but let’s not forget at that point he was in his 30s already and didn’t have that speed or energy that he once had.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#644 » by ZOMG » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:49 am

Red8911 wrote:

That sounds like bs to me. If Noah’s knee was that bad then he would choose to not play as much or sit games out. Also the trainers wouldn’t let Noah play if the knee was that bad. Thibs helped Noah become the player he was and he should be grateful.

Sure injuries slowed down Noah at the end but let’s not forget at that point he was in his 30s already and didn’t have that speed or energy that he once had.

Total BS.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#645 » by kodo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:36 am

On that team, there was an entire culture of macho play-through-the-pain and it was fed by both players & Thibs together. And probably our org as well. I highly doubt Noah was asking to sit and Thibs made him play. They both probably agreed he should play even if he was gimpy.

There were quotes from Rose, Noah, Taj, and other players boasting about how they could play through pain. Rose even boasted how he couldn't move his big toe all season, the season he eventually tore his ACL.

I think the entire injury debacle had enough blame to go around from top to bottom in the entire org.
Southpaw
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#646 » by Southpaw » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:53 am

FriedRise wrote:
Indomitable wrote:
MGB8 wrote:

I wonder what has caused Trey's numbers to go down. As he goes, so goes the rest of that team, and you've seen it. Is it because Steve Nash called out what he was doing vs. Brooklyn, and the refs stopped allowing it. That's pretty much when the serious decline in play began for them.

What did Steve say. I say Thibs screaming about something in highlights.

Read on Twitter

Good for Steve to call that out because that's BS.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#647 » by ZOMG » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:10 am

Southpaw wrote:
FriedRise wrote:
Indomitable wrote:What did Steve say. I say Thibs screaming about something in highlights.

Read on Twitter

I don't fully agree. Of course he's doing it on purpose, but as a ballhandler, you should have the right to stop on a dime and elevate whenever you want without someone bumping into you.

Of course you can't jump into the defender, but that's not what Trey did in the clip.

If you want to play him as close as TLC is doing in the video, you can't have any lapses of concentration.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#648 » by ZOMG » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:29 am

LaMelo is averaging 10rbs per 36. That is literally insane for a 6'6'' PG who has no elite wingspan or vertical.

He's not being gifted them either. The vets on that team get most of the "free" rebounds.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#649 » by TheFinishSniper » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:46 pm

ZOMG wrote:LaMelo is averaging 10rbs per 36. That is literally insane for a 6'6'' PG who has no elite wingspan or vertical.

He's not being gifted them either. The vets on that team get most of the "free" rebounds.

Westbrook treatement. Hence why we heard WB to Hornets rumours.
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#650 » by the ultimates » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:08 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:
ZOMG wrote:LaMelo is averaging 10rbs per 36. That is literally insane for a 6'6'' PG who has no elite wingspan or vertical.

Westbrook treatement. Hence why we heard WB to Hornets rumours.

I don't think it's the Westbrook treatment. Charlotte doesn't have a lot of size and he plays with lineups that don't have many above average rebounders.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/ballla01/lineups/2021
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,413

Post#651 » by Ice Man » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:42 pm

Embiid returned for the Sixers but they lost by 20 anyway. I'm not sure of the point of having a great big if the team doesn't have the smalls to support him. If you're building a team, the sounder way is to get the right smalls, then add a big at the end. Bigs are the finishers for a title team, not the starters.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#652 » by Ice Man » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:46 pm

ZOMG wrote:I don't fully agree. Of course he's doing it on purpose, but as a ballhandler, you should have the right to stop on a dime and elevate whenever you want without someone bumping into you.

That's a clear foul. It's strange that this tweet is making the rounds when there are so many better examples of Trae, when he jumps sideways in a complete non-shooting motion, to initiate a cheesy foul call. Whereas this call is totally legit.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,083

Post#653 » by MGB8 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:22 pm

ZOMG wrote:
Southpaw wrote:
FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't fully agree. Of course he's doing it on purpose, but as a ballhandler, you should have the right to stop on a dime and elevate whenever you want without someone bumping into you.

Of course you can't jump into the defender, but that's not what Trey did in the clip.

If you want to play him as close as TLC is doing in the video, you can't have any lapses of concentration.

I actually kind of agree. What I didn't like was that Trey was seeking the contact and then throwing up a bail out shot - as opposed to legitimately stopping for a shot or even just to control / pivot.

Given that, I'm not sure that I would have called that foul, or at least not as a shooting foul. But TLC needed to be more under control when trailing to avoid that contact. I wonder if the refs stopped calling that, or if defenses just caught on to that move.
MGB8
RealGM

Post#654 » by MGB8 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:32 pm

Ice Man wrote:Embiid returned for the Sixers but they lost by 20 anyway. I'm not sure of the point of having a great big if the team doesn't have the smalls to support him. If you're building a team, the sounder way is to get the right smalls, then add a big at the end. Bigs are the finishers for a title team, not the starters.

In fairness to the Sixers, they were missing 4 of their top 6/7 players in Simmons, Harris, Shake Milton and Seth Curry.

Trae Young had a big old bounce back game when being defended by two rookies. A first round pick who looks darn good for a 20 year old non-lotto pick - 21st overall and averaging 10.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2.2 assists, and 0.6 steals in 19.6 mpg on 49% overall, 35% from 3, and a second round pick in Isaiah Joe who had a pretty spectacular game (18 pts / 2 rb / 4 as / 2 / stl) on 6/9 overall including 4/7 from 3 - but who is looking like a typical rookie overall (so far). Danny Green 0-9... ouch. Still, maybe that Morey knows a thing or two about talent?

The big shocker last night was the Wizards, lacking both Westbrook and Bryant, pounding the (before then 7-3) Suns. Looks like RoLo gave Ayton the business, while 3rd string type PG Raul Neto with one of his best games as a pro essentially as an off-ball shooter, with Beal playing point. Bertans had a very nice game, while Deni and Rui were, at least on the boxscore, "ok" but not really notable.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#655 » by Ice Man » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:36 pm

MGB8 wrote:I actually kind of agree. What I didn't like was that Trey was seeking the contact and then throwing up a bail out shot - as opposed to legitimately stopping for a shot or even just to control / pivot.

Butler, Luka, and Harden, to name just three, routinely make the same play. Especially Butler. He loves to get into the lane after a P&R, pull up when he feels the guy on his back, then launch the shot. Maybe it will be a +1, at worst it's two foul shots.

I don't know why Trae is called out for this play when Jimmy Butler is around to kick. Or Luka. (Harden, I grant, has already been called out for chasing fouls, many times over.)
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#656 » by Ice Man » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:38 pm

MGB8 wrote:The big shocker last night was the Wizards, lacking both Westbrook and Bryant, pounding the (before then 7-3) Suns. Looks like RoLo gave Ayton the business, while 3rd string type PG Raul Neto with one of his best games as a pro essentially as an off-ball shooter, with Beal playing point. Bertans had a very nice game, while Deni and Rui were, at least on the boxscore, "ok" but not really notable.

For me, the burden of proof is on Russ to show that he remains a winning player. I wasn't sure last year when he was on the Rockets, particularly as OKC seemed not to miss him one bit, and he certainly hasn't made a case for himself yet at the Wizards.
MGB8
RealGM

Post#657 » by MGB8 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:53 pm

Ice Man wrote:
MGB8 wrote:I actually kind of agree. What I didn't like was that Trey was seeking the contact and then throwing up a bail out shot - as opposed to legitimately stopping for a shot or even just to control / pivot.

Butler, Luka, and Harden, to name just three, routinely make the same play. Especially Butler. He loves to get into the lane after a P&R, pull up when he feels the guy on his back, then launch the shot. Maybe it will be a +1, at worst it's two foul shots.

I don't know why Trae is called out for this play when Jimmy Butler is around to kick. Or Luka. (Harden, I grant, has already been called out for chasing fouls, many times over.)

I think Jimmy does a better job of actually stopping and really trying to make the shot, where Trae just sort of "performance arts" the shot, and a split second later. I haven't watched enough Luka to get a handle on him - mostly highlights where that isn't shown.
MGB8
RealGM

Post#658 » by MGB8 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:55 pm

Ice Man wrote:
MGB8 wrote:The big shocker last night was the Wizards, lacking both Westbrook and Bryant, pounding the (before then 7-3) Suns. Looks like RoLo gave Ayton the business, while 3rd string type PG Raul Neto with one of his best games as a pro essentially as an off-ball shooter, with Beal playing point. Bertans had a very nice game, while Deni and Rui were, at least on the boxscore, "ok" but not really notable.

For me, the burden of proof is on Russ to show that he remains a winning player. I wasn't sure last year when he was on the Rockets, particularly as OKC seemed not to miss him one bit, and he certainly hasn't made a case for himself yet at the Wizards.

That's a fairly big question. When he was younger and defending much harder, also getting to the rim more easily and therefore somewhat more efficient, that was one thing. But the current version is another.

Meanwhile, John Wall is playing maybe the best ball of his career - even a little bit of defensive effort. Weird.
PMONSTER
Head Coach
And1: 1,301

Post#659 » by PMONSTER » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:26 pm

Remember when this board was calling Derrick Rose a diva.... now look at Kyrie. Every fanbase in the league is looking at the Nets with a blank face or dying of laughter.

With that said.... the Nets are still my favorite to got to the Finals in east. When it's my time, KD and Kyrie will be too much for almost all teams in the league. Especially if they can find a way to fill the hole at back up PG or more depth. KD is 100% recovered which is amazing.
NBA Playoffs.... I can never wait!
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,017

Post#660 » by FriedRise » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls