2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,201

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#141 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Jan 6, 2021 1:58 pm

Greg Brown has really improved after a slow start. He's a guy outside the top 5 main guys that is very talented. One of the better athletes in the draft.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#142 » by getrichordie » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:19 am

Don't know if I already mentioned this guy, but Both Gach out of Minnesota is a incredibly interesting second round target.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#143 » by jambalaya » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:52 am

Boston over-ranked (and likely way over-ranked) by Vecenie and Schmitz. Same with Z Williams probably before season and more certainly at this point.

The "potential" assigners / freaks over do it a lot.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#144 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jan 8, 2021 12:25 pm

He seems to have a passes each game that impress me.
Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#145 » by thedoppelganger » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:24 pm

Vecenie released his latest mock this morning, lottery rankings and Thunder picks below (his standings projections are based on over/under win totals).

1 - Cade (OKC)
2 - Suggs
3 - Mobley
4 - Kuminga
5 - Jalen Green
6 - Ziaire Williams
7 - Scottie Barnes
8 - James Bouknight
9 - Corey Kispert
10 - Jalen Johnson
11 - Keon Johnson
12 - David Johnson
13 - Moses Moody (OKC via HOU)
14 - Kai Jones

Other OKC picks
31 - Jared Butler (Baylor)
37 - Davion Mitchell (Baylor)
53 - David Duke (Providence)
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,106

Post#146 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:44 pm

thedoppelganger wrote:Vecenie released his latest mock this morning, lottery rankings and Thunder picks below (his standings projections are based on over/under win totals).

1 - Cade (OKC)
2 - Suggs
3 - Mobley
4 - Kuminga
5 - Jalen Green
6 - Ziaire Williams
7 - Scottie Barnes
8 - James Bouknight
9 - Corey Kispert
10 - Jalen Johnson
11 - Keon Johnson
12 - David Johnson
13 - Moses Moody (OKC via HOU)
14 - Kai Jones

Other OKC picks
31 - Jared Butler (Baylor)
37 - Davion Mitchell (Baylor)
53 - David Duke (Providence)

I'm fine with a top 3 pick and the #13 pick.

I would pick Kuminga over Mobley at 3 but not so sure..

We badly need a top 5 pick (or top 4 ideally)
thedoppelganger
Senior

Post#147 » by thedoppelganger » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Watched most of this game last night, and it really stood out how Mobley can alternate between being invisible for stretches to completely taking over. He'll need to put some weight on ASAP, was getting tossed around a bit and sealed off in the post by the Arizona freshman a number of times.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#148 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:59 pm

thedoppelganger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Watched most of this game last night, and it really stood out how Mobley can alternate between being invisible for stretches to completely taking over. He'll need to put some weight on ASAP, was getting tossed around a bit and sealed off in the post by the Arizona freshman a number of times.

I think his floor is pretty high but I see what you mean. I'm still pretty high on him however after reading Vecenie's article, Kai Jones is an intriguing prospect. Mobley is the only big I would take in the top 5 but there are some guys later in the draft that seem like good prospects.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#149 » by retrobro90 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:32 pm

thedoppelganger wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think I'm slowly falling off the Mobley as a top 5 pick train even if his floor is maybe higher than guys like Suggs/Green/Kuminga. Think he's incredibly talented and is probably going to be a key foundational piece for any team that drafts him but I just don't see the necessary tools as a self creator for him to be in the Jokic/Embiid/AD tier of best player on a good team centers. It's clear he's going to be able to block shots, shoot 3s and make passes out of the short roll but his overall need for a table setter is what concerns me most. I think the physicality stuff with him will come with any NBA strength and conditioning program (though he will surely never reach the requisite strength to bang with the leagues enforcers at the 5) but the lack of that instinctual bucket getting mentality/feel makes me think he's destined to either be a high level role player or a bottom tier all star.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#150 » by retrobro90 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:40 pm

Also looks like FSU will be back tomorrow. Excited to watch Barnes again. I think I mentioned this much earlier in the thread but Barnes is still my favorite prospect outside of the top 5. Think his athleticism/defense is really getting undersold by evaluators (mostly those on the draft board) who've been spoiled by watching Giannis these past few years.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#151 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:25 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
thedoppelganger wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think I'm slowly falling off the Mobley as a top 5 pick train even if his floor is maybe higher than guys like Suggs/Green/Kuminga. Think he's incredibly talented and is probably going to be a key foundational piece for any team that drafts him but I just don't see the necessary tools as a self creator for him to be in the Jokic/Embiid/AD tier of best player on a good team centers. It's clear he's going to be able to block shots, shoot 3s and make passes out of the short roll but his overall need for a table setter is what concerns me most. I think the physicality stuff with him will come with any NBA strength and conditioning program (though he will surely never reach the requisite strength to bang with the leagues enforcers at the 5) but the lack of that instinctual bucket getting mentality/feel makes me think he's destined to either be a high level role player or a bottom tier all star.

Banned.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#152 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:31 pm

Spoiler:
ThunderBolt wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:
thedoppelganger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Banned.

In all seriousness, I do see some of that. Part of it is I don’t think usc does a good job involving him at times. Some of that is probably his own fault but I think the coach needs to do a better job making sure he gets touches. I personally really like his hook shot. I probably would put him third right now behind Cade and Suggs. I am holding Green and Kuminga at 4&5 but it’s hard to say until I see them. I think Cade and Mobley have the highest floors but I could see both of them coming in to the league and making an immediate impact but not making a huge jump after the first couple of years. I’m also on the Scottie Barnes bandwagon.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#153 » by retrobro90 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:26 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:
thedoppelganger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Banned.

Tough but fair.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#154 » by retrobro90 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:56 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:
ThunderBolt wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:

Banned.

In all seriousness, I do see some of that. Part of it is I don’t think usc does a good job involving him at times. Some of that is probably his own fault but I think the coach needs to do a better job making sure he gets touches. I personally really like his hook shot. I probably would put him third right now behind Cade and Suggs. I am holding Green and Kuminga at 4&5 but it’s hard to say until I see them. I think Cade and Mobley have the highest floors but I could see both of them coming in to the league and making an immediate impact but not making a huge jump after the first couple of years. I’m also on the Scottie Barnes bandwagon.

In regards to his hook I agree he has nice touch on it as well as his floater. As far as the USC coaching staff I have no real idea so I won't speak on that. I think though when we're projecting Mobley's role as a self creator that there isn't enough in his tool box to initiate a team's offense or at least be a primary guy for stretches where the offense is running THROUGH him. Guys like Jokic/Sabonis can operate delay sets on the secondary break and they're often tasked to quarterback DHOs/post ups the way guard/wing initiators are tasked to play through triple threat. Even though Mobley has demonstrated excellent pass vision I don't see teams handing him the ball on the wing or the extended elbow and letting him go to work the way the Nugs/Cers do with the aforementioned bigs. Should go without saying I don't see Mobley becoming the master screen setter those bigs are either (and he's just not the kind of player that AD/Embiid are so not worth it for me to compare/contrast there). Right now I think Mobley's advantages are all mostly as a play finisher. But like I said, I think the kid is extremely talented. He's thin of frame but supremely nimble. The vision is there. The touch on his J and around the rim is there. He's got the instincts and measurables to be a great rim protector. I just think if OKC is drafting in the top 5 that I'd rather have someone with more foundation as an initiator and I don't see enough of that with Mobley. If they have pick 8 and he slides there then I'm more than happy to take what will more than likely be a starting center with all star potential.
thedoppelganger
Senior

Post#155 » by thedoppelganger » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:18 am

As an Oklahoma State fan, watching this team get a lead on anyone with a pulse is akin to how Clippers fans must have felt any time they had a lead in the Nuggets series last year. So many huge blown leads, but they pulled this one out at least due to an insane play by Cade at the end.
Read on Twitter
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#156 » by Old Man Game » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:45 am

thedoppelganger wrote:As an Oklahoma State fan, watching this team get a lead on anyone with a pulse is akin to how Clippers fans must have felt any time they had a lead in the Nuggets series last year. So many huge blown leads, but they pulled this one out at least due to an insane play by Cade at the end.
Read on Twitter

That's unreal. One of the best OSU highlights ever perhaps.

From another angle.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,106

Post#157 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:40 am

Gonna be painful if we don't get Cade...and we will only have 14% at best :(
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#158 » by Old Man Game » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:17 am

Dadouv47 wrote:Gonna be painful if we don't get Cade...and we will only have 14% at best :(

More dribble drives for Poku, Coach. We demand it!
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 112

Post#159 » by namlede » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:14 am

Cade can do it all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#160 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:00 pm

Although disappointing if we don’t get a top 5 pick, I think I’ve talked myself in to being content if we get Scottie Barnes. He’s such a unique player.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder