ImageImageImageImageImage

Who are we even trying to build around?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Who should we build around?

Randle
15%
Barrett
24%
Obi and iq
10%
Elfrid Payton
20%
Other
32%

Total votes: 41

iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,158

Who are we even trying to build around? 

Post#1 » by iLLmatic860 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:44 pm

Randle for one has been playing great and his assist numbers are the highest it's been in his career but I'm not quite sure he actually makes his teammates better. So wtf is our plan with Randle?

We drafted Obi who we have yet to see really and he plays the same position.

What are we trying to accomplish. Randle and RJ are a horrible fit together and I feel like RJ has lost all confidence. We have no choice to turn RJ into a spot up shooter when Randle is on the floor. Yes RJ is missing wide open shots but that's not his game.

But the goal still has to be develop RJ and build around him, right?

Then our PG rotation is so trash that Elfrid continues to start

We need to trade Randle by the deadline. His value is increasing from last season. We need to take any competent PG who can actually space the floor.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Re: Who are we even trying to build around? 

Post#2 » by DOT » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:53 pm

The plan isn't to build around Randle, clearly. That's why we drafted Obi, whose main thing was being so good right out the gates he didn't need to develop

The plan also isn't to build around RJ, as we've done nothing to fix the spacing issues and continued to bring back Payton, who is the absolute worst possible fit for him at PG

We're not trying to build around anyone. We're not trying to tank and draft a top tier guy, either. We're in a sort of limbo where our young guys aren't good enough to justify building around, and our vets have never been core pieces on good teams. So we're sort of just meandering through life. Kind of like Kings East, with our ceiling being Magic North.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,731

Post#3 » by Spree2Houston » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:55 pm

We really need to blow the entire thing up and start from like scratch (like an expansion team). But New York fans will never accept this.
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127
Starter
And1: 646

Post#4 » by KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:01 pm

K-DOT wrote:The plan isn't to build around Randle, clearly. That's why we drafted Obi, whose main thing was being so good right out the gates he didn't need to develop

The plan also isn't to build around RJ, as we've done nothing to fix the spacing issues and continued to bring back Payton, who is the absolute worst possible fit for him at PG

We're not trying to build around anyone. We're not trying to tank and draft a top tier guy, either. We're in a sort of limbo where our young guys aren't good enough to justify building around, and our vets have never been core pieces on good teams. So we're sort of just meandering through life. Kind of like Kings East, with our ceiling being Magic North.

This has been the same issue since KP got injured. We have zero identity since that moment. We traded him for pennies on the dollar and haven’t been able to come up with a team identity. Thibs can only so much with such limited talent. Randle should be your 3rd option at best. Another lost season for a lost franchise.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 125,998

Post#5 » by god shammgod » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:03 pm

K-DOT wrote:The plan isn't to build around Randle, clearly. That's why we drafted Obi, whose main thing was being so good right out the gates he didn't need to develop

i think that was true, but nobody knew randle would be better this year. now they might be. at least until there's someone better to build around.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,603

Post#6 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:06 pm

Randle and Mitch. Everyone else can go
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#7 » by DOT » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:12 pm

god shammgod wrote:

i think that was true, but nobody knew randle would be better this year. now they might be. at least until there's someone better to build around.

Well, that ties back into my idea that the FO is bad at adjusting to things as they come up

I think we kind of expected Randle to be more of the same this year (at least, the board did, sans Melo), and that's why we went with the kid turning 23 his rookie year, so we could trade Randle and replace him. But we couldn't find a taker back in the offseason, and now we're in a situation where someone would probably take him for what we wanted for him, but now that'd be selling low. So you either sell low on him, trade Obi for a better fitting piece, or keep them both on the team and hope someone offers you something good for Randle

What's gonna happen is, we'll overplay our hand, keep both Randle and Obi, continue to not pick a direction, and be stuck with the 10th pick again this offseason and essentially still be in that same position of having to trade Randle or Obi but not getting offers back we like.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,836

Post#8 » by robillionaire » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:24 pm

Randle is more of the same though. I liked him last year. He was irrationally hated last year and the so-called improvement of this season is being blown out of proportion, and thibs is already running him into the ground ensuring his monster stat lines will soon come to an end. I would be fine keeping Randle if we were making a playoff push, he's a pretty good player. The last 3 games should have proven that a playoff push isn't going to happen, but I suspect they'll give it a few more games. If they can get anything back for him, go ahead and do it, because we need to tank.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,486

Post#9 » by cgf » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:25 pm

We're the knicks, we don't build around players. We're in too big of a hurry to go nowhere.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,648

Post#10 » by nedleeds » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:31 pm

Mitch is a quality NBA starter. With a quality NBA point guard, shooting around him and his power forward not embedded in his anus he'd be an All-Star center and a playoff player.

Everyone else on this roster wouldn't start for a good playoff team. Not 1 player. RJ projects to be Iman Shumpert post ACL at this point, he's one of the worst wide open shooters in the league. All but 5 of his 3's prior to Sunday's game were catch and shoot ... he's shooting the easiest 3's and is wretched. Wretched and streaky so his 3-3's look like flukes.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,714

Post#11 » by 8516knicks » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:49 pm

Who are we even trying to build around? Dolan.
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#12 » by Jimmit79 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:30 pm

Knicks are building around Dolans vision a top notch mediocre team that gets embarrassed at home always

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,630

Post#13 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:18 pm

Who even knows at this point, the team is just a mish mash of non-fitting parts, and if we really do commit to Randle how do these problems go away if we draft Suggs or Cunningham? Is he going to have the ball more than them too, logically speaking he would right, cause they'll just be 20 year old rookies.

Our offense just doesn't work, we're 29th in the league and I don't see how any of that changes anytime soon. We are 26th in assists per game, 30th in threes per game, when healthy does anyone see Obi starting over Randle anytime soon? Probably not, even though it's probably the right move just to get the ball moving more and the floor spaced more. Everything goes through Randle to a crippling degree, yeah he gets his numbers, but I'd rather see what we look like with a lineup of Rivers or Frank, Burks, RJ, Obi, Mitch.
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,264

Post#14 » by rajajackal » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:34 pm

happy to keep mitch, obi, knox, frank, quick, rivers, and gibson moving forward for now

RJ's playing like a bonehead which puts him on probation for me. mentality was a big part of what i liked about him last year. i don't suddenly think he sucks, but he might prove somewhat difficult to build around for a franchise in our position

randle burks bullock noel dsj payton + mavs picks all can and should be flipped for value asap. no hard feelings just don't wanna sell low
sol537
RealGM
And1: 4,906

Post#15 » by sol537 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:22 pm

Flip Randle for a pick and a PG to better balance out the roster.

Mitch, Obi, Knox, RJ, Quickley is the current core. It's worth riding out the season to see what each can bring.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 42,990

Post#16 » by DaGawd » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:48 pm

nedleeds wrote:Mitch is a quality NBA starter. With a quality NBA point guard, shooting around him and his power forward not embedded in his anus he'd be an All-Star center and a playoff player.

Everyone else on this roster wouldn't start for a good playoff team. Not 1 player. RJ projects to be Iman Shumpert post ACL at this point, he's one of the worst wide open shooters in the league. All but 5 of his 3's prior to Sunday's game were catch and shoot ... he's shooting the easiest 3's and is wretched. Wretched and streaky so his 3-3's look like flukes.

Ouch... I could see it tho
BaF
Washington Wizards
DaGawd
RealGM

Post#17 » by DaGawd » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:49 pm

rajajackal wrote:happy to keep mitch, obi, knox, frank, quick, rivers, and gibson moving forward for now

RJ's playing like a bonehead which puts him on probation for me. mentality was a big part of what i liked about him last year. i don't suddenly think he sucks, but he might prove somewhat difficult to build around for a franchise in our position

randle burks bullock noel dsj payton + mavs picks all can and should be flipped for value asap. no hard feelings just don't wanna sell low

Building around R just really doesn’t seem like a great idea to be real. He doesn’t do anything on the court at an elite enough level that you can hitch yourself on to as a franchise and say this is how we want to play
BaF
Washington Wizards
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,351

Post#18 » by F N 11 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:30 pm

RJ is partially looking bad as a spot up shooter out of sync with This being Payton’s and Randle team. Another year same old Knicks different toilet because the coach is better.

A player who thrives with ball in his hands don’t have the ball in his hands. Go figure we can try to mask it with wins but It’s either RJ and co or Payton/Randle and co. Choose one and ride with it.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,264

Post#19 » by rajajackal » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:35 pm

F N 11 wrote:RJ is partially looking bad as a spot up shooter out of sync with This being Payton’s and Randle team. Another year same old Knicks different toilet because the coach is better.

A player who thrives with ball in his hands don’t have the ball in his hands. Go figure we can try to mask it with wins but It’s either RJ and co or Payton/Randle and co. Choose one and ride with it.

the fit still sucks, but this year he gets a lot of touches and usually either bulldozes into traffic and gets stripped or bricks an open 3. this is prototypical bad basketball. RJ needs to be coached hard right now. i'd be okay with putting him on the bench to slap some sense back into him
DaGawd
RealGM

Post#20 » by DaGawd » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:43 pm

F N 11 wrote:RJ is partially looking bad as a spot up shooter out of sync with This being Payton’s and Randle team. Another year same old Knicks different toilet because the coach is better.

He has the ball plenty.. he just doesn’t do **** with it half the time
BaF
Washington Wizards

Return to New York Knicks