Image ImageImage Image

NBA Trade Thread #2

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,228

Re: NBA Trade Thread #2 

Post#1621 » by kodo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:42 am

Trading Lavine for losing assets would have repercussions with Donovan IMO.

Billy didn't come here to tank and lose games, he could have just stayed on with OKC if he was alright with that. In particular, he liked this roster and saw things he could improve on. While I'm sure he's not in love with 100% of a roster, but I doubt you can say you like a roster and then exclude the guy who is biggest contributor.

When talking about how he convinced Billy to come here, AK said
“When we sat down and talked about the roster, I thought this roster was too talented for what they showed the last two years,” Karnisovas said. “They have a lot of potential, and we kind of agreed there’s a good mix of young players and vets, from (draft) picks to cap space in the future to build this team. On both sides, I think there was a lot of optimism looking at the roster.

“We spent a lot of time talking to Billy about offense, about defense, about the way he values relationships and how he rallies players around him, and how he values relationships with players and gets a buy-in from them,” he said.

When it was clear OKC was going to blow up their team and start collecting rebuilding assets, Donovan was out instantly. A lot of people here seem to like Donovan. Blowing this team up to troll into a 18 win team would lose his respect & motivation to coach here IMO. Sure we may get a good pick this summer, but I doubt Donovan will stick around to coach something trying to be intentionally bad. I don't think he wants that on his resume, and I don't think he wanted to come here for that when he was on the short list to coach teams like Philly.
Butler4thewin
Sixth Man
And1: 532

Post#1622 » by Butler4thewin » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:52 am

just a idea but would wcj otto and white land us the 1st overall pick ? i here alot of posters in here in love with this cade pg guy .....can he shoot atleast
Nate3carp
Senior
And1: 128

Post#1623 » by Nate3carp » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:27 am

Butler4thewin wrote:just a idea but would wcj otto and white land us the 1st overall pick ? i here alot of posters in here in love with this cade pg guy .....can he shoot atleast

No. There are no Bulls players that the team that gets #1 would trade the pick for.
Butler4thewin
Sixth Man

Post#1624 » by Butler4thewin » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:03 am

Nate3carp wrote:
Butler4thewin wrote:just a idea but would wcj otto and white land us the 1st overall pick ? i here alot of posters in here in love with this cade pg guy .....can he shoot atleast

No. There are no Bulls players that the team that gets #1 would trade the pick for.

its crazy how many untouchable guys there are in the league these days .....ja morant luka lamelo also just from early on but its crazy man trae young ....its off topic but the pg position is either prolific shooter like curry or trae or the bigger guys now i feel we need 1 more young talent with big upside or a proven star to land us to a real contenders
Onibuh
Senior
And1: 217

Post#1625 » by Onibuh » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:05 am

Why should the Bulls look to trade Lavine, White or all those players that got better and made steps forward since last season? That's not how you improve your team.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#1626 » by sco » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:45 pm

I think the Knicks have shifted to win now mode and might value filling a key hole in outside shooting and may see a future building around Randle.

Otto/Kornet for Toppin/Burks/Noel/Ntilikina/Smith Jr works $-wise. Toppin hasn't exactly shined so far, but would be a huge win in terms of a value get for Otto. I also really like Noel.
:clap:
dpucane
Sophomore
And1: 42

Post#1627 » by dpucane » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:13 pm

Onibuh wrote:Why should the Bulls look to trade Lavine, White or all those players that got better and made steps forward since last season? That's not how you improve your team.
Because this roster has a ceiling and the goal is not to get low playoff seeds the goal is to build a championship window

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using RealGM mobile app
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Post#1628 » by VolumePoster » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:16 pm

sco wrote:I think the Knicks have shifted to win now mode and might value filling a key hole in outside shooting and may see a future building around Randle.

Otto/Kornet for Toppin/Burks/Noel/Ntilikina/Smith Jr works $-wise. Toppin hasn't exactly shined so far, but would be a huge win in terms of a value get for Otto. I also really like Noel.

I don't think you can give up on a high lotto pick that quickly. Not without (much) more value.
Kukoc-Lauri
Bench Warmer
And1: 414

Post#1629 » by Kukoc-Lauri » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:52 pm

Chandler Hutchinson for Drew Eubanks third center from San Antonio. Wendell Carter and Denzel Valentine for Devonte Graham. We find trade partners and balance roster with win win trades for positional needs and to get better results.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,515

Post#1630 » by Andi Obst » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:45 pm

Kukoc-Lauri wrote:Chandler Hutchinson for Drew Eubanks third center from San Antonio.

This is the kind of trade that doesn't hurt you one bit and is still awful. Trading for a guy who might be a backup 5 at his absolute peak (but probably won't be) is just pointless. Like...why? What's the upside?
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#1631 » by sco » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:23 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
Kukoc-Lauri wrote:Chandler Hutchinson for Drew Eubanks third center from San Antonio.

This is the kind of trade that doesn't hurt you one bit and is still awful. Trading for a guy who might be a backup 5 at his absolute peak (but probably won't be) is just pointless. Like...why? What's the upside?

I don't get trading for back-up C's. A starter, sure, but back-up C's grow on trees. Hutch is an odd player. He is a very good defender and is only a lay-up skill (which seems so easy to develop, but has been elusive for Hutch) away from being a good rotation piece. Given that I don't expect Lauri here next year (or after the deadline), I wouldn't be quick to give Hutch away.
:clap:
Kukoc-Lauri
Bench Warmer
And1: 414

Post#1632 » by Kukoc-Lauri » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:01 pm

sco wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:

I don't get trading for back-up C's. A starter, sure, but back-up C's grow on trees. Hutch is an odd player. He is a very good defender and is only a lay-up skill (which seems so easy to develop, but has been elusive for Hutch) away from being a good rotation piece. Given that I don't expect Lauri here next year (or after the deadline), I wouldn't be quick to give Hutch away.
Hutchinson is third stinger small forward. Already 26, 4 year player, cant shoot to save his life, cant really finish basic layups, not so good handler in traffic. Solid transitional player against backups and verry injury prone. Eubanks can rebound,defend,dunk and hustle more than any other Bulls center. I dont see how can Hutch can help us now or in the future, Eubanks can help us to be equal to oponents in rebounds and to defend paint better and win some games. Many reservs from other teams can start on Bulls, that is realitty. Our best player Lavine is third best player on 12-13 teams and second best player on 25 teams.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#1633 » by ChettheJet » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:32 pm

I'm still for waiting on other teams to have injuries and get something for filling a need. Several PGs have been hurt and a couple of centers but I don't think very many GMs are going to see Arci or Felicio as what they are looking for. Bogdon just broke his knee for ATL but they have an abundance of wings. Injuries are a constant in the NBA, somebody will lose a PF and either Markkanen or Young will look like the answer to keep them in contention. The same goes for the SF position with Porter, maybe the need for a backup in Hutchison or Valentine. The Bulls aren't in desperation mode to get rid of players, bide your time and if an opportunity comes up be ready to jump.
Butler4thewin
Sixth Man

Post#1634 » by Butler4thewin » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:06 pm

ChettheJet wrote:I'm still for waiting on other teams to have injuries and get something for filling a need. Several PGs have been hurt and a couple of centers but I don't think very many GMs are going to see Arci or Felicio as what they are looking for. Bogdon just broke his knee for ATL but they have an abundance of wings. Injuries are a constant in the NBA, somebody will lose a PF and either Markkanen or Young will look like the answer to keep them in contention. The same goes for the SF position with Porter, maybe the need for a backup in Hutchison or Valentine. The Bulls aren't in desperation mode to get rid of players, bide your time and if an opportunity comes up be ready to jump.

lauri for khawhi and white for luka and boom were in contention lol....like you said we must be ready to pounce
Onibuh
Senior
And1: 217

Post#1635 » by Onibuh » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:31 am

dpucane wrote:
Onibuh wrote:Why should the Bulls look to trade Lavine, White or all those players that got better and made steps forward since last season? That's not how you improve your team.
Because this roster has a ceiling and the goal is not to get low playoff seeds the goal is to build a championship window

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using RealGM mobile app

The ceiling is to improve as a team, play better and more competitive. Get closer to the POs, make the POs and your team will become a destination for the Stars. That's how you need to do it and the Bulls ceiling isn't really set in stone with the way Williams performs, White has improved, Lavine buys in and Carter/Gafford looking like better as well. Imagine them being able to not pay Lauri, let go Otto and get a FA that is close to a star player... This roster would open the window pretty soon and would be 1 Kawhi to Toronto Trade away.
All by not being a **** and stupid franchise.
scottyg
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#1636 » by scottyg » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:22 pm

I’m gonna manifest these players to the bulls as I think they could make a playoff push with these players !

Bulls get -
-Nikola Vucevic
- Aaron Gordon

Why? The bulls make some major upgrades to the team and this trade brings in a healthy balance of scoring and defense and this allows the bulls to move Markannen to the bench and be the super 6th man who plays the back up 4/5 with major minutes and scoring on the bench players with some vets, also allows the bulls to use Pat Williams and Gordon as the defensive wings they need with white and Lavine

Magic get -
- Otto Porter
- Denzel Valentine
- Chandler Hutchison
- Wendall Carter Jr.
- 2021 2nd rd pick via chi
- 2022 top 3 protected 1st rd pick
- 2025 2nd rd pick
- 2024 rights to swap 1st rd picks

Why? The magic clear cap room and also get some young players to help grow with the team and tank for the next year until Issac and fultz are healthy and they get draft picks, they can also send our Porter and these other players for more assets !
Nate3carp
Senior
And1: 128

Post#1637 » by Nate3carp » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:30 pm

VolumePoster wrote:
sco wrote:I think the Knicks have shifted to win now mode and might value filling a key hole in outside shooting and may see a future building around Randle.

I don't think you can give up on a high lotto pick that quickly. Not without (much) more value.

I agree, Knicks wouldn't trade Toppin for Otto. Also, Bulls would have to cut 3 other guys to make that trade work. So functionally the trade is more like Otto/Kornet/Felicio/Arch/Hutch(or Denzel)
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,766

Post#1638 » by gardenofsound » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:51 pm

I don't think the Bulls should be sending picks out for non all-NBA players. Our picks project to be too valuable for that.

Here are some of the things going through my head:

Approach Cleveland (Kevin Love) or Detroit (Blake Griffin) with a similar proposal:

Bulls out: OPJ, Lauri Markkanen
Bulls in: Love or Griffin, 2021 draft swap rights, 2022 top 4 protected, 2023 swap rights

(I know Detroit has already traded their 2021 pick, but it's 1-16 protected and let's be real, they aren't a playoff team yet, so they're going to keep the pick this year).

Why? Both are really bad contracts (Griffin is almost guaranteed to exercise his PO next season at close to $40mm, and Love has two years remaining after this year, with declining performance). The Bulls unlink their own record from their draft positioning for 2 out of the next three years, and, when healthy, the returning players slot into the starting lineup as decent options to continue the Bulls' push towards a winning mentality.

For Detroit or Cleveland, they're getting out of their bad money while also getting match rights on Lauri.

Bulls could also approach GSW with similar framework proposals for Draymond and/or Wiggins. Or even Philadelphia with Tobias Harris, who has even longer term big money.

Honestly, this lineup may be pretty strong to finish out the year...:
G1 White / Sato / Arcidiacono
G2 LaVine / Temple
SF Williams / Hutch
PF Love or Griffin / Thad
C Carter / Gafford

You upgrade rebounding (currently a deficiency), and, assuming Lauri's shooting thus far this season is an aberration, you're likely upgrading your shooting and playmaking as well. Both Love and Griffin are known for their court vision/awareness and outlet passing to kick off a break.
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#1639 » by BigJimFinn » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:42 pm

gardenofsound wrote:I don't think the Bulls should be sending picks out for non all-NBA players. Our picks project to be too valuable for that.

Here are some of the things going through my head:

Approach Cleveland (Kevin Love) or Detroit (Blake Griffin) with a similar proposal:

Bulls out: OPJ, Lauri Markkanen
Bulls in: Love or Griffin, 2021 draft swap rights, 2022 top 4 protected, 2023 swap rights

(I know Detroit has already traded their 2021 pick, but it's 1-16 protected and let's be real, they aren't a playoff team yet, so they're going to keep the pick this year).

Why? Both are really bad contracts (Griffin is almost guaranteed to exercise his PO next season at close to $40mm, and Love has two years remaining after this year, with declining performance). The Bulls unlink their own record from their draft positioning for 2 out of the next three years, and, when healthy, the returning players slot into the starting lineup as decent options to continue the Bulls' push towards a winning mentality.

For Detroit or Cleveland, they're getting out of their bad money while also getting match rights on Lauri.

Bulls could also approach GSW with similar framework proposals for Draymond and/or Wiggins. Or even Philadelphia with Tobias Harris, who has even longer term big money.

Honestly, this lineup may be pretty strong to finish out the year...:
G1 White / Sato / Arcidiacono
G2 LaVine / Temple
SF Williams / Hutch
PF Love or Griffin / Thad
C Carter / Gafford

You upgrade rebounding (currently a deficiency), and, assuming Lauri's shooting thus far this season is an aberration, you're likely upgrading your shooting and playmaking as well. Both Love and Griffin are known for their court vision/awareness and outlet passing to kick off a break.

You are also assuming that Blake Griffin everything thus far this season is an aberration.
The Ringer just put out an article https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/1/12/22226233/blake-griffin-untradable-detroit-pistons
about how bad and untradable he has been. He isn't driving or earning FT's, has zero dunks or blocks all season, isn't rebounding, but is shooting a lot of 3s at bad percentage. Passing is the only thing where he is better than Lauri at the moment, but bringing in a former big name star long past their sell-by date would be a classic Bull move. Fortunately I have no reason to believe the new front office would do **** like this. Griffin per game stat line this season:
32 mins, 14pts, 5.7 rebs, 7 3PA at 29%, TS% 50, 4 ast, 1 steal.
And you think getting him for Otto and Lauri would make the Bulls better?

Love is a different issue because his floor-bound game is naturally aging better, but he is currently out with injury, and still I cannot see him making a meaningful difference. If Lauri isn't a PF for the modern NBA, then Love is a worse fit, and he isn't a rim protector as small ball 5 either, plus much less mobile on the perimeter.

You need a lot of faith into discovering a fountain of youth to believe either of these overpaid has-beens would "continue the push towards a winning mentality". Neither has been playing winning basketball for several years now. The only star-level thing about them is their salaries.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#1640 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:04 pm

We badly need center who can defend the paint and rebound well.. I just dont see it with WCJ, Gafford, Lauri also.
I was hoping for Steven Adams,because of BD connection ,but sadly didnt happen.

Return to Chicago Bulls