ImageImageImageImageImage

I might have to apologize to Eric Paschall. He may have found a role for the team.

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Re: I might have to apologize to Eric Paschall. He may have found a role for the team. 

Post#61 » by sonnyhill » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:34 pm

Samurai wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:
Samurai wrote:The ones I was thinking of were Parish (traded him because we drafted our "franchise" center in Joe Barely Cares) who became a Hall of Famer in Boston, Williams (we used him as a back-up; I thought it was crazy that we gave Dudley roughly the same minutes!) who became a starter and 2-time All Star in Seattle, and Wilkes (tried making him a PF despite having the physique of a dipstick) and of course became a Hall of Famer with the Lakers who correctly put him back as a SF.

Parish, Gus, and Wilkes...sigh...

Trading Parish and McHale for JB Carroll and Rickey Brown

I remember listening to Scotty Sterling being interviewed on KNBR about losing Gus and he actually said "Ricky Green is already a better player than Gus Williams will ever hope to be."

Instead of having Barry (who had a larger frame than Wilkes) also guard power forwards, it was all on Wilkes.

Yup, those were the examples I recall. And we ended up trading Rickey Green for a 2nd round pick after his rookie year with us, although that turned out well for us since we were able to get Mr. Mean with that pick. But as a Warrior fan, I thought Williams was a far superior PG than Dudley; Grasshopper was a great rebounder for a PG but his outside shooting made Oubre look good. And we didn't even receive anything for Gus other than cash compensation. And playing Wilkes as a power forward just had to be one of the dumbest coaching/operational decisions this team ever made.

But to answer mos def's question, I don't think we drafted bad players. Two hall of famers and a two-time All Star would be closer to being considered drafting good players in my book rather than drafting bad players. I just don't think we did a good job on developing them and putting them in optimal roles to be successful and I am hoping that we can do a better job with Paschall as a Warrior than we did in those three instances.

There needs to be organizational alignment between the front office and the coaching staff. Yes, the team (due to its championship run) has had to draft outside of the lottery; yet, Samurai, you are correct, talent (after identified and acquired) has to be developed. Both Paschall and Lee look like they may, indeed, become strong rotational players, and the front office, the coaching staff and the two players should be commended for this.

I am confused, however, as to what the team sees in Smiley (as much as I would love to see him develop/evolve).
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Re: I might have to apologize to Eric Paschall. He may have found a role for the team. 

Post#62 » by lars_rosenberg » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:22 pm

The way Paschall moves when he attacks reminds me of James Harden. He's not as good at taking fouls of course, but I think he should model his game on JH as much as possible.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,144

Post#63 » by TB » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:19 pm

sonnyhill wrote:
TB wrote:When looking at his per100 possessions numbers from his rookie year to this year, its fascinating to see how much shooting improvements can make such an impact.

He's virtually the same player as last year in terms of the rate of shooting, types of shots, getting to the line, rebounding, playmaking, and alot more attributes. He's just making his 3's and adding about 1 free throw per 100pos.

From a statistical standpoint, the big improvements are:
- 3point shooting percentage is up 100 points!
- Turnovers are down 2 turnovers per 100 possessions!
- slight uptick in 2point FG% and FT%, although those numbers were already good as a rookie

If his 3point percentage stays over 35%, he's officially a scoring machine off the bench. Again, don't expect rebounding to improve, it rarely does and he hasn't shown it this year. Shooting was the one thing he could potentially figure out, and it looks like he's made strides.

Thanks for posting the above information.

Can Paschall become a younger-and-more athletic version of David West for this year's iteration of the Warriors?

Thats a really interesting call. I went ahead and compared the two, and there are some really mind-blowing numbers David West had that I sorta forgot he was capable of.

Going just off of Paschall this year vs West with the Warriors, they are pretty similar scoring the ball, with Paschall already being ahead of West as far as scoring volume (very similar percentages).

But there are a few dramatic differences with West:
1) West was a freak at blocks/steals compared to Paschall. He averaged 5 stocks per100 possessions both years. Paschall barely over 1 per100.
2) West still rebounded at a really high rate. 4 more per100 than Paschall.
3) West averaged almost 3 times the assists as Paschall per100.
4) advanced defensive metrics West smokes Paschall pretty badly.

So overall I do love the mention of West and think that is a great player for Paschall to try and mimic when it comes to what he needs to work on. In fact you're probably on to something considering Kerr has pretty much given him Wests old role. Right now he's a better scorer, but just lacks the defense and well rounded team play attributes that West obviously had after decade in the league.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#64 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:27 am

His jump shot form is closer to what they were changing it to than it was at the beginning of the season. He's getting better and better in the little parts of the game. His handle is better, his rebounding, his passing, and his defense. His team defense still needs work but I see nothing to make me think he needs to go anywhere.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#65 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:18 am

TB wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:
TB wrote:When looking at his per100 possessions numbers from his rookie year to this year, its fascinating to see how much shooting improvements can make such an impact.

He's virtually the same player as last year in terms of the rate of shooting, types of shots, getting to the line, rebounding, playmaking, and alot more attributes. He's just making his 3's and adding about 1 free throw per 100pos.

- slight uptick in 2point FG% and FT%, although those numbers were already good as a rookie

If his 3point percentage stays over 35%, he's officially a scoring machine off the bench. Again, don't expect rebounding to improve, it rarely does and he hasn't shown it this year. Shooting was the one thing he could potentially figure out, and it looks like he's made strides.

Can Paschall become a younger-and-more athletic version of David West for this year's iteration of the Warriors?

Thats a really interesting call. I went ahead and compared the two, and there are some really mind-blowing numbers David West had that I sorta forgot he was capable of.

Going just off of Paschall this year vs West with the Warriors, they are pretty similar scoring the ball, with Paschall already being ahead of West as far as scoring volume (very similar percentages).

1) West was a freak at blocks/steals compared to Paschall. He averaged 5 stocks per100 possessions both years. Paschall barely over 1 per100.

So overall I do love the mention of West and think that is a great player for Paschall to try and mimic when it comes to what he needs to work on. In fact you're probably on to something considering Kerr has pretty much given him Wests old role. Right now he's a better scorer, but just lacks the defense and well rounded team play attributes that West obviously had after decade in the league.

To be fair to Paschall, West is a legit 6’8” 6’9” and something like a 7’4” wingspan. So since Paschall is probably 6’6” tops I can’t really hold the block numbers against him.

And West was a former All Star.

The bench seems a o be rebounding well as a group lately, so I’m going to give him some credit for boxing out and doing what he can in a team aspect.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#66 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:14 am

Paschall 40-69 since the Bulls game. Incredible
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#67 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:53 pm

TB wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:

West was actually solid on defense as well..and quite a bit a better shooter. West was an all star level player in his prime. Paschall is not going to reach that point but as a bench scorer he is perfect. Also their play styles are wayyyy different.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,144

Post#68 » by TB » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:12 pm

Yup agreed on west, I was only comparing stats from the 2 warriors seasons where he was a backup center and not an allstar in his prime.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#69 » by tarantism » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:10 am

They really missed EP tonight. His ability to create in isolation is vital to the 2nd unit.

Sent from my LM-X220PM using RealGM mobile app
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#70 » by Samurai » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:14 am

Do we know how many games EP will have to miss? Did he personally test positive or is it because he was around someone who tested positive? We're finding out just how important he is to this team.
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by tarantism » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:17 am

Samurai wrote:Do we know how many games EP will have to miss? Did he personally test positive or is it because he was around someone who tested positive? We're finding out just how important he is to this team.
All I could find was that he was out tonight. Most guys miss a week I think.

Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#72 » by killmongrel » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:13 am

Yeah, he's legit.
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by tarantism » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:26 am

killmongrel wrote:Yeah, he's legit.
6th man of the year candidate, as I said in the other thread. Dude is balling.

killmongrel
Veteran

Post#74 » by killmongrel » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:29 am

tarantism wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Yeah, he's legit.
6th man of the year candidate, as I said in the other thread. Dude is balling.

Definitely. What he's doing is sustainable. It isn't fool's gold. Just exciting to see him flourishing.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#75 » by FNQ » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:34 am

apologize in the form of a golden statue

We're seeing an elite bench microwave be born. His 2nd team is gonna hate him, but we've got him at the perfect time
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#76 » by Old_Blue » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:48 am

I couldn't be more pleased with Paschall's play if he donned a tutu and did his thing with Disney's Fantasia as a backdrop. :D
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#77 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:11 am

Paschall doesn’t touch the floor in the first quarter and it has to be because of Mike Browns rotations. But they have to find more minutes for Paschall. Please.

I wonder what his fg% since the 3rd game?
Khoee wrote “
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#78 » by killmongrel » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:27 am

Mylie10 wrote:Paschall doesn’t touch the floor in the first quarter and it has to be because of Mike Browns rotations. But they have to find more minutes for Paschall. Please.

What this basically means is that if we get another center it's purely for insurance. There is not going to be enough minutes for Wiseman, Looney, and Paschall. So any calls for signing another center is a waste of time. Just wait for Chriss and Smailagic to get healthy and go with what we got.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#79 » by lars_rosenberg » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:04 pm

killmongrel wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:Paschall doesn’t touch the floor in the first quarter and it has to be because of Mike Browns rotations. But they have to find more minutes for Paschall. Please.

What this basically means is that if we get another center it's purely for insurance. There is not going to be enough minutes for Wiseman, Looney, and Paschall. So any calls for signing another center is a waste of time. Just wait for Chriss and Smailagic to get healthy and go with what we got.
Yes we're good at C. We may need another 4 though. JTA has been good in limited minutes, but I'm not sure he's a player you can trust for whole season.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#80 » by donkeylips » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:35 pm

Isn’t Chriss out for the year?
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.

Return to Golden State Warriors