ImageImageImageImageImage

WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Re: WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1 

Post#421 » by shazam_guy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:39 am

michaelm wrote:Given the identity of the posters who are low on Wiseman I am calling that he will be an absolute superstar.

I don't want to make it personal, but let's just say I'm not convinced by the anti-Wiseman camp. Wasn't worried about him when we picked him, and now I think it's a pretty weird stance after what he's shown so far.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,194

Post#422 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:47 am

If you play him 30-35 minutes, including in crunch time, you may be committing to a tank.

Warriors have had very close wins. Do they win those with Wiseman in the game?
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#423 » by Little Digger » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:02 am

Wiseman either sucks or he’s great..take a stance or be banned !

ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#424 » by Samurai » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:04 am

Little Digger wrote:#33 needs to make at least one sky hook a game for me to be a happy fan

He seems to prefer the jump hook more than a true #33 sky hook - similar to just about every other big man in today's game (hardly anyone shoots a true sky hook anymore). But as long as it goes in, I'll call it a sky hook, jump hook, baby hook, the Wise Hook or anything else as long as its working!
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#425 » by DAWill1128 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:13 am

I think James is really skilled. When franchises draft centers I think they are hoping these guys will develop a mid range jumper, 3 ball, quick face up dribble drive game, some moves with your back to the basket. I think James has all those skills unlike most centers when they get drafted.

Where I think James will see the most improvement is in the offseason but not on the court but in the weight room. If James filled out more it would change a lot. Just the extra weight will make a difference getting deeper on the block on post ups, he doesn’t get deep like most dominant centers. Also that extra strength will help when attacking and finishing with that short dribble, handle the swipes and the push offs the defense does. It will help defensively with boxing out for rebounds as well as getting better inside position to block shots and body up offensive players. I think just coming in at a better weight will allow him to showcase the skills he has, and that’s why he might become a big time player.

I think Porzingis was probably the guy that really got to another level just through filling out. When he came into the NBA I was just amazed with him being able to hit mid range and 3 balls, take a guy off the dribble, block and alter shots. But especially last year before the playoff injury I was like this guys really good, he’s just a stronger guy now. Had he not got injured I think we might have seen a Dallas V Lakers WCF instead of the Nuggets.
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#426 » by Little Digger » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:17 am

Samurai wrote:
Little Digger wrote:#33 needs to make at least one sky hook a game for me to be a happy fan

He seems to prefer the jump hook more than a true #33 sky hook - similar to just about every other big man in today's game (hardly anyone shoots a true sky hook anymore). But as long as it goes in, I'll call it a sky hook, jump hook, baby hook, the Wise Hook or anything else as long as its working!
Looks the same as Alcindor’s to me..I spent years in my backyard imitating the Bucks and Lakers..Then when I finally got to play organized hoops, the sky hook was my go-to move..my coach hated it even though I kept scoring..he even benched me numerous times..but he wasn’t making sense so i ignored him all season
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#427 » by Samurai » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:27 am

Little Digger wrote:
Samurai wrote:

Looks the same as Alcindor’s to me..I spent years in my backyard imitating the Bucks and Lakers..Then when I finally got to play organized hoops, the sky hook was my go-to move..my coach hated it even though I kept scoring..he even benched me numerous times..but he wasn’t making sense so i ignored him all season

Ha - similar story. On my junior high team, I was the back-up center and was #33 since Alcindor was a favorite of mine. Mimicked his sky hook as best I could (mine didn't keep scoring!). A few of my teammates complained that I didn't deserve to wear #33 but oh well! Kareem (Alcindor then) was unique in that he could fake left then go right for a more sweeping motion that Wiseman, who seems to come to more of a stop and then go up so it looks more like a jump hook than a true sky hook. I don't see anyone in today's game that shoots it the truly the same as Kareem.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,188

Post#428 » by Outside » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:33 am

He's going to be impatient and want to finish games even when he's not ready. He'll get over it. He'll be fine. Increased physical maturity and strength will do wonders, as will learning the NBA game and lifestyle.

He's so long and talented. Pretty good skills. Potential is enormous. Keep the fro.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,792

Post#429 » by michaelm » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:37 am

shazam_guy wrote:
michaelm wrote:Given the identity of the posters who are low on Wiseman I am calling that he will be an absolute superstar.

I don't want to make it personal, but let's just say I'm not convinced by the anti-Wiseman camp. Wasn't worried about him when we picked him, and now I think it's a pretty weird stance after what he's shown so far.

Some posters were naysaying even the KD GSW team. I would sometimes when at work have to quickly check the score given how bad the narrative was about how the team was playing, to discover they were actually winning.

I don't see how Wiseman could be doing much more as a 19 year old who played only 3 college games prior to playing real NBA games. Sure if they actually develop into genuine contenders this season, which I consider unlikeley although not entirely impossible I guess, then his rawness might be a problem. If he can be trusted with minutes as a finisher by the end of the season, Klay comes back well, and Wiggins and the bench continue to be good, like many I am very excited about next season. Not many wing players however elite they may develop to be are all-star standard in their first season either, Klay Thompson for one wasn't .
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#430 » by Little Digger » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:39 am

Do you notice how nobody talks anymore about Kareem, Russell, Walton, Oscar etc anymore? That’s why I crack up at the emphasis young fans and the NBA media place on individual legacies ..I guarantee you in 50 years nobody is going to care about the careers of Lebron , Durant or even Kobe ..They all get discounted as the years go by and the GOAT has to have played within the last 5 years
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#431 » by Little Digger » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:12 am

He’s (JW) going to be a MONSTER in this league. He’s headed in that direction very quickly”

-Mike Brown-

does he mean the National Basketball Association?
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#432 » by Warriors Analyst » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:58 pm

The good is very impressive. He's done some stuff that's truly incredible when he attacks off of the dribble or goes coast to coast and I do appreciate that he seems to be a quick learner.

But it's going to be at least a year before he's even a neutral force on defense. He does get a fair amount of Biedrins fouls from refs, which comes with being a rookie. But there's occasional brain farts that are maddening. Against Toronto he gave up an easy offensive board to his man because he chased a block (which would have been a goaltend if he'd gotten to it) that he was already late on. There's a few moments like that every game.

But to be honest, Wiseman concerns me more on offense than he does defense. Yes, Kerr needs to stick him in PNR and give him opportunities to stretch the floor, especially if he's going to share the court with Dray and Oubre. But there's a lack of feel and physicality that concerns me. He's very mobile, but hasn't figure out to use that mobility attacking as the dive man when there's another human in front of him. He also just doesn't seem to like contact. There've been a few instances where he gets the offensive rebound and instead of ramming a defender into the baseline and dunking on him, he takes a mid fade away or a jump hook. That sucks.

I'm still curious to see what his future holds, but I'm definitely not opposed to trading him in the right package if it puts us in serious contention. You can't afford to waste Steph's prime.
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 96

Post#433 » by Chupchup » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:56 pm

I think they should try putting Wiseman at the 3 pt line more and be that stretch 5. He could already be the 2nd/3rd best shooter in the starting lineup now. He'll pick and roll sometimes but take out the post up stuff for now. His outside shot seems to be more advance than the postup and inside game. We have too many non shooters (ie Dray and the current Oubre) and with him hovering around in the middle it clogs up the interior. Half the time I think Wiseman seems lost in where to go.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#434 » by Mylie10 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:57 am

I’m thinking he’ll end up being the greatest player of All Time
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 362

Post#435 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:02 pm

He is a rookie, but I’d like for him actually contest shots/layups. He jumps vertically with his arms straight in the air (which is something you normally would do), but opposing players find ways to still get by him with a layup. I want to see him to be looking to be more engaging defensively and try to stop them (e.g., taking away space by moving laterally via anticipation and actually be a monster blocking shots).

That’s why I think he should focus his first year and learn to play like Bogut.
the_dinks
Sophomore
And1: 154

Post#436 » by the_dinks » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:47 am

No matter how hype he looks in highlights, the fact that he struggles to catch the ball is a huge red flag to me. Can anyone name a player who turned out great after starting their career with brick hands? Why is he getting rebounds stolen from him by guy a foot shorter than him? Like, you're the most athletic guy on the court.

I think the most likely outcome is somewhere between good role player and decent starter. That would actually be a pretty good outcome, obviously getting a star would be huge but having a better version of Javale McGee will be a nice piece.
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#437 » by Little Digger » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:50 am

the_dinks wrote:
I think the most likely outcome is somewhere between good role player and decent starter. .
isn’t a decent starter usually a good role player?
the_dinks
Sophomore
And1: 154

Post#438 » by the_dinks » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:52 am

Little Digger wrote:isn’t a decent starter usually a good role player?

You're right. Better to say that his most likely outcome is basically a better Javale who can shoot if open. That's a nice piece, but that's also not someone you want guarding AD during the finals. So hopefully, he exceeds my expectations.
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#439 » by Little Digger » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:59 am

I’m feeling you on the bad hands worries..but the defensive potential of JW ? we’re miles apart as of right now
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#440 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:59 am

Little Digger wrote:Do you notice how nobody talks anymore about Kareem, Russell, Walton, Oscar etc anymore? That’s why I crack up at the emphasis young fans and the NBA media place on individual legacies ..I guarantee you in 50 years nobody is going to care about the careers of Lebron , Durant or even Kobe ..They all get discounted as the years go by and the GOAT has to have played within the last 5 years

You’ve been so on fire! I feel like I’m and one-ing you way to much.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...

Return to Golden State Warriors