Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Re: Uh oh.. NBA has set a special Board of Governors meeting for Tuesday 

Post#21 » by Little Digger » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:16 am

The smarter teams have the edge..So the Warriors have the edge

Sorry TWolves fans
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#22 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:50 am

I hope they're meeting about how there was 5 replays and 10 timeouts in the last 30 seconds of the game last night
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#23 » by watch1958 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:57 am

I read something recently where the NBA was concerned that more players would get sick if they shut down than if they kept teams together playing.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#24 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:14 am

They can't lose too many games. TV contracts require like 70 games so under that and they lose revenues.

At the rate they're going, a big chunk of the players may get the virus before the season is over.

Pro athletes have been okay for the most part but some young people who are otherwise healthy have gotten long-haul problems. There was one college football player who had myocarditis, a baseball player who had to sit out the season and then a college basketball player who had tested positive over the summer collapsing on court.

Sooner or later, some college or pro athlete is going to get real messed up by an infection.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#25 » by donkeylips » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:37 am

I hope they add more two way contracts or have extra roster spots but not be included in the luxury tax
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#26 » by Old_Blue » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:38 am

As long as the season ends with the Timberwolves having the 4th worst record, it's all good. :D
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
InWestWeTrust
Sixth Man
And1: 657

Post#27 » by InWestWeTrust » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:22 am

Pretty dumb, imo, if they just postpone 1-2 weeks. Might as well partial bubble in 4 regions after that or expand rosters and keep rolling. Otherwise what is the point? Pausing only going to allow players more chances to get exposed before they comeback.

At any rate, just gotta wait and see later today
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 95

Post#28 » by Chupchup » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:00 pm

Expand Roster is a no brainer. Also make those expanded roster spots exempt from the lux tax :)
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 95

Post#29 » by Chupchup » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:04 pm

Also don't think they should pause the season. 1 or 2 weeks won't make a difference. Have extra roster players in reserve that they can "call" up if needed. May not be the best games but it should get them through a week or two.
wco81
RealGM

Post#30 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:07 pm

Yeah but then instead of postponing games like they've done, we're going to be seeing games with mostly G League players?
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#31 » by Old_Blue » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:32 pm

wco81 wrote:Yeah but then instead of postponing games like they've done, we're going to be seeing games with mostly G League players?

It would turn into a farce like the '87 NFL season.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,083

Post#32 » by Outside » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:36 pm

wco81 wrote:Yeah but then instead of postponing games like they've done, we're going to be seeing games with mostly G League players?

It would give incentive and advantage to teams that have players and staff that are actually careful, follow protocols, and don't end up with multiple exposures. Like, you know, the Warriors seem to be doing.
wco81
RealGM

Post#33 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:46 pm

Outside wrote:

It would give incentive and advantage to teams that have players and staff that are actually careful, follow protocols, and don't end up with multiple exposures. Like, you know, the Warriors seem to be doing.

Problem is, how sustainable is that, with young men who have a lot of time and money, living in an area with high caseload, though it's not as bad as LA is currently?

If there are night clubs open, it's going to be hard to keep NBA players away.

But even boring married guys like Curry may be vulnerable to various housekeeping staff in his home coming and going and not knowing whom they interact with during the week.

Of if the kids are going to schools or are being taken care of by nannies or some outside personnel.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,083

Post#34 » by Outside » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:04 pm

wco81 wrote:
Outside wrote:

Problem is, how sustainable is that, with young men who have a lot of time and money, living in an area with high caseload, though it's not as bad as LA is currently?

If there are night clubs open, it's going to be hard to keep NBA players away.

But even boring married guys like Curry may be vulnerable to various housekeeping staff in his home coming and going and not knowing whom they interact with during the week.

Of if the kids are going to schools or are being taken care of by nannies or some outside personnel.

I understand it's not easy. It's not easy for any of us. But there is a huge difference between minimizing risk of exposure as much as possible and saying **** it, I'm going to do what I want because there's no way to make the risk zero.

Culture makes a difference. If the culture of a team -- led by those at the top, especially players -- is to say that it's crucial to stay healthy and minimize risk because it affects the success of the entire team, to actively and regularly talk about it, including the challenges that players face, that makes a real difference. Team unity and bonding can be a powerful thing. Young players are advised to eat better and take care of their bodies if they want to stay in the league and be successful, and this is an extension of that for the pandemic.

My hope is that the Warriors culture gives players more motivation to minimize COVID risk compared to most teams. It's not a guarantee, but there is significant incentive to stay COVID-free if it gives you a competitive advantage over other teams that don't. Team culture can reinforce that.

A worry I have is that the Warriors play a team that subsequently tests positive and Warriors players have to quarantine due to contact tracing. Considering every team's entire focus is on Steph and they have multiple players in his face all game long, he's likely to be one that has to sit out because of that.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Post#35 » by xdrta+ » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:31 pm

Outside wrote:

And yet there are people who actually wanted Harden on this team.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#36 » by Flash Falcon X » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:34 pm

Little Digger wrote:
FNQ wrote:**** ********** *** ** * ***** **** **** ***

Couldn’t agree more..

I agree as well. Now is the perfect time for Biedrins’ comeback.
#DubNation
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#37 » by FNQ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:06 am

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nba/2021/1/11/22225241/nba-season-2020-21-postponed-covid-19-health-safety-protocols-news-update

They are rolling out stricter conditions but nothing about a pause in the season.. yet
wco81
RealGM

Post#38 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:31 am

They should start withholding pay for games lost.

That may make sure people are careful. But what if it's a low-paid team staff member who infects or forces several players to quarantine?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#39 » by FNQ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:59 pm

wco81 wrote:They should start withholding pay for games lost.

That may make sure people are careful. But what if it's a low-paid team staff member who infects or forces several players to quarantine?

You're advocating docking pay for players catching a highly contagious virus that a sizeable chunk of the country is too stupid to actually take seriously?

Return to Golden State Warriors