Image ImageImage Image

Around the NBA: 2020-21 Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,846

Re: Around the NBA: 2020-21 Season 

Post#661 » by The Explorer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:16 pm

Still the youngest MVP ever. Chicago had a great one.
jmajew
Rookie
And1: 339

Post#662 » by jmajew » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:23 pm

FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Does anyone know what is going on with Kyrie and why he is sitting out? Its been very vague.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#663 » by TheFinishSniper » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:53 pm

Ice Man wrote:Embiid returned for the Sixers but they lost by 20 anyway. I'm not sure of the point of having a great big if the team doesn't have the smalls to support him. If you're building a team, the sounder way is to get the right smalls, then add a big at the end. Bigs are the finishers for a title team, not the starters.

Embiid also isnt used as big anymore of his size. The moment he is taking jumpshot 20 feet from rim is scoring opportunity and going easy on opponent. There are no bigs in league which could stop him dominating paint, dominating mid-range, requiring double shots. Yes you do need smalls which can take jumpshot still but you always need those. Let's not forget because they have Simmons, Embiid can't be used as playmaker and make plays. If Simmons could shoot that would be different, but he can't so Embiid is all the time during 76ers time underutilized.

I can only imagine what would happen if Embiid was playing with Lavine, Coby, Otto. He could take shot, drive the paint, score in the paint or kick out to any of those. Instead we have MFer WCJ of bigs looking dumb on court.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,415

Post#664 » by ImSlower » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:07 pm

jmajew wrote:
FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Does anyone know what is going on with Kyrie and why he is sitting out? Its been very vague.

No official word. The rumors seemed to be that he was particularly upset by the DC uprising, and possibly exacerbated popular armchair psychiatrist diagnosis as a victim of bipolar disorder. I can absolutely empathize with that trauma, having dealt with heavy mental health issues myself for much of my life - especially this last 9 months. That said, if it were a severe mental health issue, I think the Nets and Steve Nash would have made very clear statements that they support him and wish for the matter to remain private. Instead, we saw Nash repeatedly say he had not been in contact and did not know what was happening.

Now we see video that he was out partying at a big private event for his sister's 30th, at a rented out club venue. I won't even go into the mask issue. Regardless, it's an incredibly poor look for someone to miss three games voluntarily, ghosting his teammates and coach, and then be seen out partying.

He's going to be out a week now due to NBA distancing restrictions, even further distancing himself from the team he himself chose to join. I hope he is sprinkling plenty of sage in his house to exorcise all the bad vibes he himself continues to put out.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,008

Post#665 » by MrSparkle » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:51 pm

I watched that Suns team last year. Was pretty disappointed when they started losing after the first month or two, because they were better than the record. They had a nice chemistry. Rubio and Baynes kept getting injured. But no doubt in my mind they were better than this team, despite the winning record. Ayton is the Sam Bowie of the era (and Bagley; can there be two Sams?). They were actually better with him suspended.

But CP3 has actually made Booker's numbers and efficiency drop across the board. I don't think going old with Crowder and Paul made them any better than Oubre and Rubio. And CP3's big defensive decline is going to kick in any moment. Always does with these 35yo guards. Wade's first month as a Bull was promising too. Then the bad Game Scores started popping up more frequently, and then his defensive liability grew as teams start scouting and exploiting it.

They've slowed their pace WAY down- become a half-court offense. Currently 30th place for pace, compared to 10th last year. Anybody who wanted to trade for $85m 35yo ball-dominant CP3 was loco! So happy that Zach and Coby are just figuring it out.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,348

Post#666 » by DASMACKDOWN » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:59 pm

Read on Twitter
The Cult of Personality
2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,252

Post#667 » by 2weekswithpay » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:10 pm

MrSparkle wrote:I watched that Suns team last year. Was pretty disappointed when they started losing after the first month or two, because they were better than the record. They had a nice chemistry. Rubio and Baynes kept getting injured. But no doubt in my mind they were better than this team, despite the winning record. Ayton is the Sam Bowie of the era (and Bagley; can there be two Sams?). They were actually better with him suspended.

But CP3 has actually made Booker's numbers and efficiency drop across the board. I don't think going old with Crowder and Paul made them any better than Oubre and Rubio. And CP3's big defensive decline is going to kick in any moment. Always does with these 35yo guards. Wade's first month as a Bull was promising too. Then the bad Game Scores started popping up more frequently, and then his defensive liability grew as teams start scouting and exploiting it.

They've slowed their pace WAY down- become a half-court offense. Currently 30th place for pace, compared to 10th last year. Anybody who wanted to trade for $85m 35yo ball-dominant CP3 was loco! So happy that Zach and Coby are just figuring it out.

Pretty bold statements considering this is the best the suns have been since the Nash days.

Why would they regret getting rid of Oubre? Oubre is off to an awful start to the season and trading him opened up bigger roles for Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson. Which seems to be the right decision so far and is likely the reason they traded Oubre in the first place. Likewise why would they regret replacing Rubio with CP3? CP3 is better across the board as long as he doesn't get hurt and his contract is up after next season.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,008

Post#668 » by MrSparkle » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:29 pm

2weekswithpay wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:I watched that Suns team last year. Was pretty disappointed when they started losing after the first month or two, because they were better than the record. They had a nice chemistry. Rubio and Baynes kept getting injured. But no doubt in my mind they were better than this team, despite the winning record. Ayton is the Sam Bowie of the era (and Bagley; can there be two Sams?). They were actually better with him suspended.

Pretty bold statements considering this is the best the suns have been since the Nash days.

Why would they regret getting rid of Oubre? Oubre is off to an awful start to the season and trading him opened up bigger roles for Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson. Which seems to be the right decision so far and is likely the reason they traded Oubre in the first place. Likewise why would they regret replacing Rubio with CP3? CP3 is better across the board as long as he doesn't get hurt and his contract is up after next season.

Not really. They were 7-4 after 11 games last year (identical to this year). https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/2020_games.html And 2 of those losses last year were by 1 point.

The cost for CP3 was actually multiple picks when you consider that OKC flipped Rubio (trade up to 17/Poku) and Oubre (GSW top-20 FRP + a 2nd), and PHX's FRP is owed. Just seemed to be an overspend. I don't see PHX sustaining the winning record once they have their rematches with DEN, DAL, etc.

I do expect them to be +500 next month, unlike last year's team which got injured. Just don't think they'll be good enough to warrant the cost of that trade.
2weekswithpay
Starter

Post#669 » by 2weekswithpay » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:36 am

MrSparkle wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:

Not really. They were 7-4 after 11 games last year (identical to this year). https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/2020_games.html And 2 of those losses last year were by 1 point.

The cost for CP3 was actually multiple picks when you consider that OKC flipped Rubio (trade up to 17/Poku) and Oubre (GSW top-20 FRP + a 2nd), and PHX's FRP is owed. Just seemed to be an overspend. I don't see PHX sustaining the winning record once they have their rematches with DEN, DAL, etc.

I do expect them to be +500 next month, unlike last year's team which got injured. Just don't think they'll be good enough to warrant the cost of that trade.

Not understanding that logic here. If they had kept Rubio they most likely wouldn't have traded him doing so just creates another void at PG. Oubre still being traded is still a possible outcome but you can't really predict alternate futures here. OKC trading Rubio and Oubre doesn't mean Phoenix makes the same decision had they kept both of them. The 2021 pick is still the only one Phoenix gave up.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,135

Post#670 » by HomoSapien » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:29 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
Read on Twitter

No hugging the rival team should be a permanent rule, IMO.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,135

Post#671 » by HomoSapien » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:34 am

In all seriousness, how is playing defense safe but tapping hands/hugging isn't? Either all of those things are unsafe or none of them are. The players really need to reconsider the bubble. I've said it before, but I think the best option for everyone is:

A March Madness style tournament with all 30 teams, seeding based on record. I would also play the "Final Four" games as a best of 7 so that we get more basketball and a playoff feel. Whoever wins would certainly have an asterisk, but it'd be entertaining, safe, and not a huge strain on the lives of the players.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,348

Post#672 » by DASMACKDOWN » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:55 am

Read on Twitter

They have got to just trade him ASAP. Harden is basically doing everything he can to get traded. The antics before the season started. He is clearly overweight (Thic Ross) and his numbers are down all around besides assists. Basically because he cant be bothered.

I am just curious to see how long they play games with this.
The Cult of Personality
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,083

Post#673 » by MGB8 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:06 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
Read on Twitter

They have got to just trade him ASAP. Harden is basically doing everything he can to get traded. The antics before the season started. He is clearly overweight (Thic Ross) and his numbers are down all around besides assists. Basically because he cant be bothered.

The problem is who offers anything worthwhile? But, yeah, bad situation.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,297

Post#674 » by Leslie Forman » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:24 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:They have got to just trade him ASAP. Harden is basically doing everything he can to get traded. The antics before the season started.

Nah. He could be straight up pulling a Vince Carter out there if he wanted to.

Or, you know…a Jimmy Butler.

It can always get worse.
troza
Junior
And1: 128

Post#675 » by troza » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:39 am

The thing is... where is Harden landing. Do teams still want him after all this?

We don't know what is the Irving situation but if the Nets want Harden they can just send Irving there if there is some kind of distancing between the Nets and him.
2weekswithpay
Starter

Post#676 » by 2weekswithpay » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:40 am

MGB8 wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:
Read on Twitter

The problem is who offers anything worthwhile? But, yeah, bad situation.

Sixers with a package around Simmons. Simmons is probably the best player Houston can get right now and for Philly, Embiid is playing the best I've ever seen him play and I don't know if Philly wants to wait for Simmons to figure it all out.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#677 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:49 am

White, Otto, Lauri and 1st rounder 2021 for Harden ,take it or leave it LOL
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Post#678 » by Drygon » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:26 am

Leslie Forman wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:They have got to just trade him ASAP. Harden is basically doing everything he can to get traded. The antics before the season started.

It can always get worse.

What does that mean? I doubt James Harden wants to stay & rescinding his trade request like Vince Carter.

And I'm not making it up, Sam Mitchell (Raptors' HC) & Rob Babcock (Raptors' GM) confirmed it.

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-2/Sam-Mitchell-with-tim-and-Sid-ts-20121107-Interview.mp3
http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-2/Rob-Babcock-with-Tim-and-Sid-ts-20121107-Interview.mp3
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 14,835

Post#679 » by Mk0 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:27 am

Drygon wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:

It can always get worse.

What does that mean? I doubt James Harden wants to stay & rescinding his trade request like Vince Carter.

And I'm not making it up, Sam Mitchell (Raptors' HC) & Rob Babcock (Raptors' GM) confirmed it.

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-2/Sam-Mitchell-with-tim-and-Sid-ts-20121107-Interview.mp3
http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-2/Rob-Babcock-with-Tim-and-Sid-ts-20121107-Interview.mp3

There was an incident where Vince was telling the other team what play they were gonna run out of time out. He also went from averaging something like 17ppg to 25ppg when he was finally moved to the Nets.

It is pretty well documented that Vince was dogging it.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Post#680 » by Drygon » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:02 pm

Mk0 wrote:
Drygon wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:Nah. He could be straight up pulling a Vince Carter out there if he wanted to.

It can always get worse.

There was an incident where Vince was telling the other team what play they were gonna run out of time out. He also went from averaging something like 17ppg to 25ppg when he was finally moved to the Nets.

It is pretty well documented that Vince was dogging it.

There is no evidence for Vince telling plays during Raptor-Sonics game despite it happened over 15 years ago. Ray Allen, who guarded Vince, never heard anything. Nor did any of Raptors players. The Raptors scored off the play in question, which Vince assisted. That rumor didn’t come out after the game, but several months later, right after Vince was traded to Nets.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/did-carter-tip-off-sonics-on-play-selection-1.506817

Also, Vince was still in a bad form even after getting traded to Nets. It's clearly he didn't mailing it in for the Raptors

Vince's first 10 games with the Nets: 41 minutes, 20.9/6.3/3.7 on 49.8% TS
Per 36: 18.2/5.5/3.2

Vince's 20 games with the Raptors: 30 minutes, 15.9/3.3/3.1 on 47.5% TS
Per 36: 18.8/3.9/3.6

Return to Chicago Bulls