ImageImageImage

Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

aHealthy3
Rookie
And1: 301

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#241 » by aHealthy3 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:25 pm

76ciology wrote:Ok.

To Beal or not to Beal?

If we trade Ben for Beal, does that make us a championship contender?

I think either one makes us a legit contender tbh. I'm not sure if they would have interest in Ben though. Doesn't fit with Westbrook and if they decide to blow it up he messes up a tank.

On the other hand they're probably more fleece-able than Houston in a trade. Made some really bad deals the last few years. Traded Porter and Oubre away for literally nothing, and now this Wall+pick for Westbrook is looking rough.
Sam Hinkie wrote:The illusion of control is an opiate, though.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#242 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:15 pm

Stepping away from Beal & Beard for a moment.

Mike Scott is almost unplayable. Backup 4 spot is too vulnerable with him in the rotation. Whether we move him, Ferguson, Bradley, or Poirer it'd be nice to free up a spot to bring in an upgrade sooner rather than later.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#243 » by DCasey91 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:57 am

Well tonight should have been the nail in the coffin

Fact 1.

Embiid has never played with a real pg
And only one legit elite wing for half a season ffs.

An Elite two way Center and an elite perimeter threat is extremely hard to stop in 7 games
Look at any championship core
You’ll find a big list with those to types of players
They’re made for each other playwise

Harden/Embiid is an awful matchup for every single team in the NBA bar none.

You can’t double either (they get the most double teams in the NBA)

if you did pick your poison of how you’re going to get destroyed

Embiid with more paint space than ever before with no double

Or Harden with his opponent on a literal island one on one

Both have insane lvls of dividends

Harden is a no brainer always has been

It’s the package trading for him

Don’t worry Morey is definelty smart enough to know that:

Embiid + Simmons plus role players
And Curry/Harris/Milton or a rookie as you primary creator or scorer when Embiid gets well and truly blanketed ain’t gonna cut it
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#244 » by DCasey91 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:09 am

Sportfan73 wrote:
76ciology wrote:9 games in.

Defensively, we lead on blocks and are top 10 in steals. Biid has been stepping out more, Ben and Tobi have been rotating to the paint more.

Offensively, there are two main drivers. Transition (3rd in transition points per game) and Embiid.

Seth, Milton and Tobi (SMT) are good in running PnR on low frequency. And we take advantage of this down the stretch when game is on the line.

We have the same problem with most teams with only one superstar like Bucks and Giannis.

Starting unit relies heavy on Embiid’s halfcourt offense. If teams can slow down Embiid or if he gets cold, you’ll have to rely on SMT to run 2 man games. And it’s worse when teams would be able to limit our transition game by great offense (high % and low TOs).

Yes. We NEEEEED shotmaking to make Biid’s life easier. It’s so damn glaringly obvious. With shake and maxey I don’t think trading Ben for Harden is risking our entire future. I’m to the point where I think Ben, Matisse, and 2 firsts is honestly cool with me.

Ben, Matisse, and two firsts for Harden I would be jumping up and down for joy lol.

We get to keep milton/maxey/Curry
And we solve our half court problems outside of Embiid’s dominance.

Would be the cream on top if we move Harris’s contract too that would be icing
Openheimer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#245 » by Openheimer » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:13 am

Harden is tanking his Value by the second. He is literally playing disinterested out there. That team is a mess. By the deadline his value will be Simmons and a couple of picks
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,396

Post#246 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:30 am

DCasey91 wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:
76ciology wrote:9 games in.

Defensively, we lead on blocks and are top 10 in steals. Biid has been stepping out more, Ben and Tobi have been rotating to the paint more.

Offensively, there are two main drivers. Transition (3rd in transition points per game) and Embiid.

Seth, Milton and Tobi (SMT) are good in running PnR on low frequency. And we take advantage of this down the stretch when game is on the line.

We have the same problem with most teams with only one superstar like Bucks and Giannis.

Starting unit relies heavy on Embiid’s halfcourt offense. If teams can slow down Embiid or if he gets cold, you’ll have to rely on SMT to run 2 man games. And it’s worse when teams would be able to limit our transition game by great offense (high % and low TOs).

Yes. We NEEEEED shotmaking to make Biid’s life easier. It’s so damn glaringly obvious. With shake and maxey I don’t think trading Ben for Harden is risking our entire future. I’m to the point where I think Ben, Matisse, and 2 firsts is honestly cool with me.

Ben, Matisse, and two firsts for Harden I would be jumping up and down for joy lol.

They say last season if we didnt make the play-offs, Brett will be fired.

I say this season if we dont make it to the finals, Ben will be traded.

If not for Harden, it’s for someone like Lavine or Beal. Looks to me we need to add more than Ben to get those deals done.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#247 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:51 am

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sodmoraes
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#248 » by sodmoraes » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:21 am

Lavine would be a good fit here. I really want Harden, but i wouldnt put Maxey in the package( i would do Ben + 2 first round picks and Thybulle. More than that we should focus on Beal/Lavine) . He's gonna be a really good player in 2 years, and our Hedge if Beard doesnt resign here.

Sent from my SM-G920I using RealGM mobile app
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
76ciology
RealGM

Post#249 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:24 am

I’d do Lavine and Porter for Ben and Tobi. Get Lavine and roll the dice on FA with the cap space.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#250 » by DCasey91 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:25 am

76ciology wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:Yes. We NEEEEED shotmaking to make Biid’s life easier. It’s so damn glaringly obvious. With shake and maxey I don’t think trading Ben for Harden is risking our entire future. I’m to the point where I think Ben, Matisse, and 2 firsts is honestly cool with me.

If not for Harden, it’s for someone like Lavine or Beal. Looks to me we need to add more than Ben to get those deals done.

Probably a Ben/Lavigne swap is of equal value in terms of market

Beal or Harden you def need more which I’m 100% for with.

God forbid Simmons contract becomes a negative in due time (Ceiling has been reached for quite awhile now.)

Harris is def a negative contract we don’t want two when we have a legit MVP/Top 5 player in his Prime ready to go now

Either one or both has to go

It’s been far far too long that the 76ers hasn’t catered to our Best Player’s needs (7 seasons now)

Look at Simmons VS Embiid in terms of who they brought in/kept/moved on its very lopsided. Hell Simmons is still be coddled to this day it’s absurd.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#251 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:34 am

DCasey91 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:

God forbid Simmons contract becomes a negative in due time (Ceiling has been reached for quite awhile now.)

Harris is def a negative contract we don’t want two when we have a legit MVP/Top 5 player in his Prime ready to go now

It’s been far far too long that the 76ers hasn’t catered to our Best Player’s needs (7 seasons now)

Look at Simmons VS Embiid in terms of who they brought in/kept/moved on its very lopsided. Hell Simmons is still be coddled to this day it’s absurd.

I have some hot takes but im keeping my mouth shut
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#252 » by DCasey91 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:23 am

76ciology wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Haha what you thinking? I think it’s going to happen sooner rather later.

Or....

One of em will say something and then it kicks off big time (I’m actually fine with it two players who see things completely differently, egos clash all the time it isn’t a bad thing it all, the catering has been lopsided so one side def has a legitimate argument to be unhappy with the situation).

All hell will break loose if the management side is with Ben this whole time (sneaky suspicion they prefer Ben which makes no sense because for all of Embiid’s health, Ben hasn’t been much better).

Trading Embiid for a the literal farm is going to cause more damage than good rather than trading for Ben to get what this team desperately needs to put it over the top.

This team goes are far as Embiid goes always has been always will be.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#253 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:18 am

DCasey91 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:

Haha what you thinking? I think it’s going to happen sooner rather later.

Or....

One of em will say something and then it kicks off big time (I’m actually fine with it two players who see things completely differently, egos clash all the time it isn’t a bad thing it all, the catering has been lopsided so one side def has a legitimate argument to be unhappy with the situation).

All hell will break loose if the management side is with Ben this whole time (sneaky suspicion they prefer Ben which makes no sense because for all of Embiid’s health, Ben hasn’t been much better).

Trading Embiid for a the literal farm is going to cause more damage than good rather than trading for Ben to get what this team desperately needs to put it over the top.

This team goes are far as Embiid goes always has been always will be.

Regarding the bolded part of your post.

Regarding this Ben-Harden situation, I dont really know whats happening. But if it doesnt happen, I cant help but feel bad to all pressure Ben and Morey will have upon them.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#254 » by mithrandir17 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:42 am

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

Elton has no problem giving someone his financial respect. Just ask Tobias.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#255 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:06 am

mithrandir17 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

Elton has no problem giving someone his financial respect. Just ask Tobias.

8-)

Elton Brand would have landed us both Lavine and Harden by now if we didnt hire Morey.

Facts Only
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#256 » by Black Mage » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:51 pm

A couple of thoughts:

Morey said he wanted time to see what they have.

Reported: Morey will be deciding if Ben and Joel can work together and if not which to keep.

People said all Ben needs is to be surrounded by shooters to unlock his game.

Reality:

Embiid: Playing at a Top 5 MVP lvl. Clearly addressed his 2 major flaws (conditioning & reading double triple teams)

Simmons: Scoring down 4 points. Half an assist less than his career avg. FG% down 4%. FT% down 2% and sits at 60%. FTA identical to last year and half an attempt less than his sophmore year. Has not improved touch around rim. Has not developed dribble moves. Is not shooting.

Simmons: We gave him shooters. We've spaced the floor. The results are the same. It hasn't opened some magical portal from the arc to the basket for Ben to transport himself past the defense.

Do we really need anymore time to watch this team and realize which guy deserves to have a team built around him?

Do we really think Simmons' value will be as high or higher by the end of this year if team goes into the playoffs and Ben is again neutralized?

At this point, I do not think it should matter which player is targeted, we need to bring in an established consistent offensive threat from the perimeter for Embiid.

Strategically, I think it should be Harden.

If guys like Lavine, and especially Beal, come available all these other teams are going to go in hard because the players are younger and will give a larger window. If you think Ben + Tisse + 2-3 picks is too much just wait to see what you'll have to give up when younger guys with less concerns become available.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#257 » by 51X3RF4N » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:50 pm

Black Mage wrote:A couple of thoughts:

Reported: Morey will be deciding if Ben and Joel can work together and if not which to keep.

Reality:

Embiid: Playing at a Top 5 MVP lvl. Clearly addressed his 2 major flaws (conditioning & reading double triple teams)

Simmons: Scoring down 4 points. Half an assist less than his career avg. FG% down 4%. FT% down 2% and sits at 60%. FTA identical to last year and half an attempt less than his sophmore year. Has not improved touch around rim. Has not developed dribble moves. Is not shooting.

Simmons: We gave him shooters. We've spaced the floor. The results are the same. It hasn't opened some magical portal from the arc to the basket for Ben to transport himself past the defense.

Do we really need anymore time to watch this team and realize which guy deserves to have a team built around him?

Do we really think Simmons' value will be as high or higher by the end of this year if team goes into the playoffs and Ben is again neutralized?

At this point, I do not think it should matter which player is targeted, we need to bring in an established consistent offensive threat from the perimeter for Embiid.

If guys like Lavine, and especially Beal, come available all these other teams are going to go in hard because the players are younger and will give a larger window. If you think Ben + Tisse + 2-3 picks is too much just wait to see what you'll have to give up when younger guys with less concerns become available.
See my thing is I think both players can legit be MVP level and both deserve to have a team built around them, and could lead that team to a title.

I just think both of their styles are so vastly different, and skill sets.

Simmons needs to be a PF surrounded by 2 playmaking guards and 2 catch and shoot floor spacing guys. He needs all 4 guys at the 3pt line giving him space to do his best work. Guys who can and will catch and shoot the 3 without hesitation, and hit a decent percentage.

Embiid needs to be a dominant C surrounded by 4 floor spacing players and at least 2 guys who can dribble into their own shot. He needs guys who can and will take 3 point shots off the catch without hesitation.

They are each at their best in this scenario.

Putting them together limits both of their potential.

Simple as that in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#258 » by davesilver » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:49 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:

Reality:

See my thing is I think both players can legit be MVP level and both deserve to have a team built around them, and could lead that team to a title.

Simmons needs to be a PF surrounded by 2 playmaking guards and 2 catch and shoot floor spacing guys. He needs all 4 guys at the 3pt line giving him space to do his best work. Guys who can and will catch and shoot the 3 without hesitation, and hit a decent percentage.

Embiid needs to be a dominant C surrounded by 4 floor spacing players and at least 2 guys who can dribble into their own shot. He needs guys who can and will take 3 point shots off the catch without hesitation.

Embiid and Harden could be a Shaq + Kobe level of greatness! We deserve this. I love Ben, and the risk is immense in doing the deal, but get it done Daryl.

Also, Embiid's workload is simply too high rn. Getting Harden would alleviate each of their workloads throughout the regular season.Just makes too much sense. Let's try to get Tucker as well.
sodmoraes
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#259 » by sodmoraes » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:08 pm

Embiid just needs as good Guard who can create his own shot and shoot the 3 well, so he doesnt get doubled all the time. Simmons is the guy who needs a team tailored to him so he can look good( in regular season). Shows who has more value.
51X3RF4N wrote:

Reality:

Sent from my SM-G920I using RealGM mobile app
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
76ciology
RealGM

Post#260 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:43 pm

Read on Twitter

This happens against smart good defensive teams, every single time

Return to Philadelphia 76ers