Image ImageImage Image

OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1181 » by PlayerUp » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:12 pm

The house is voting on this now and so far none of the GOP has voted with the democrats.

Preview of what is to happen when it reaches the senate.

Some GOP I do expect to vote with the democrats but it's not going to be many.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,578

Post#1182 » by Ice Man » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:14 pm

The corporations tend to be late to the change party, but very effective when they do. The gay rights movement became thoroughly mainstream when the S&P 500 companies embraced it, to the point where they began to boycott states that had or were considering anti-gay statutes. For example -

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/corporate-boycotts-become-key-weapon-gay-rights-fight-n545721
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,729

Post#1183 » by dougthonus » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:20 pm

PlayerUp wrote:Some GOP I do expect to vote with the democrats but it's not going to be many.

A little surprising to me, not that I follow politics. If I were a Republican, I'd probably want Trump impeached to get him out of any potential for running again in 2024 (even as an independent) since I think he would muck up your ability to win future elections.

Ignoring whether you actually think he's guilty or not guilty, I'd think you'd want to wash your hands with him. Though perhaps that would just upset the base to much too, and even if you do want to wash your hands with him, it might be politically difficult for you to do that if you are reliant on his base for votes in your own next election.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#1184 » by musiqsoulchild » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:25 pm

dougthonus wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:Some GOP I do expect to vote with the democrats but it's not going to be many.

A little surprising to me, not that I follow politics. If I were a Republican, I'd probably want Trump impeached to get him out of any potential for running again in 2024 (even as an independent) since I think he would muck up your ability to win future elections.

Ignoring whether you actually think he's guilty or not guilty, I'd think you'd want to wash your hands with him. Though perhaps that would just upset the base to much too, and even if you do want to wash your hands with him, it might be politically difficult for you to do that if you are reliant on his base for votes in your own next election.

Liz Cheney has asked her caucus to vote their conscience.

At this point the number is between 10 to 20 that we expect in the House of Representatives.

Notably, Mitch McConnell is now pro-impeachment. A total of 17 Republican votes are needed in the Senate to convict Trump.

I think this will play out very interestingly. Especially if Trump continues to incite havoc inside the US.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#1185 » by musiqsoulchild » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:31 pm

Almost Retired wrote:
League Circles wrote:
Almost Retired wrote:
Whether the climate is changing is a totally different question than whether man made activity is the cause of it. You can line up 1,000 scientists whose research is part of some government "study". What do you think their conclusions are going to be. I won't even get into the use of falsified temperature data and other "anomalies". Think a little deeper. Don't be a sheep. If man was the cause of climate change how did the climate of the earth change back and forth for millions of years before we evolved? The climate may be changing. It may be necessary for us to adapt to whatever change occurs as we have done for countless millenia. But we are not the cause of it and there is nothing we can do to halt it. Solar activity drives the climate. The only things on earth that have definitely achieved a short term changing of the climate have been enormous volcanic eruptions and the asteroid that landed off the Yucatan and which led to the death of the dinosaurs. Listen to what the politicians say and just assume the opposite and you'll be better off.

ALL activity, of any kind, affects climate change. There is no "IF". Learn about the 2nd and 3rd laws of thermodynamics.

Oh, I better put less beans in my chilli.

Actually that helps...large scale farming of GMO grains has caused a lot of issues to the environmental imbalance.

Add more Meat to your Chili. Its tastier and better for your health.

Dont worry about cow farts as that is just crazy talk.
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#1186 » by PlayerUp » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:31 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

At this point the number is between 10 to 20 that we expect in the House of Representatives.

Notably, Mitch McConnell is now pro-impeachment. A total of 17 Republican votes are needed in the Senate to convict Trump.

I think this will play out very interestingly. Especially if Trump continues to incite havoc inside the US.

Watch Liz Cheney be the only one to vote with the democrats. Would not surprise me.

What will happen is what you see today. NV or Present. The only possible way I see senators side with the democrats is if Chuck offers them a "deal".
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1187 » by Ice Man » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:33 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:[Notably, Mitch McConnell is now pro-impeachment.

It all comes down to Mitch. The House vote needs a simple majority to reach the Senate, which it will. Then it needs a two thirds majority. Without Mitch, there will be very few GOP supporters, Mitt and maybe a couple of others. But if Mitch were to cast a Yea vote, then that could indeed lead to conviction. In fact, I would go so far to say that it probably would.

But I don't see Mitch taking that step. It's a drastic one.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#1188 » by musiqsoulchild » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:34 pm

logical_art wrote:
Ctrl + Alt + Delete the President. Last week, after a violent riot at the capital, Twitter and Facebook erased the President of the United States from social media. He was further banned from, or severely restricted from communicating by: Reddit, Twitch, Shopify (??), Snapchat, TikTok, and Stripe. Within 24 hours, amidst a chorus of “it’s just the free market, losers, if you don’t like it build your own app,” Google and Apple worked in concert to remove Parler, the “free speech” alternative social media app popular on the political right, from their app stores. Amazon followed the move with the equivalent of tech industry napalm, taking the extraordinary step of suspending Parler from using Amazon Web Services, effectively shutting the company down. The loosely-framed charge against both Trump and Parler was incitement of violence and insurrection. There were no trials. There was no evidence presented for any crime formally argued. This is law in the age of corporate oligarchy. It is purposefully ambiguous, it is uncompromising, and when you run afoul of the powers that be, there is no recourse. Not even for the “most powerful man in the world.”

This of course begs the question: who is actually in charge right now?

Recommend the whole piece. Crazy times we're in.

https://www.piratewires.com/p/insurrection-as-a-service

Have you ever spent any time at all often Parler?

If you did...and you're not a racist/seditionist/ election fraudist...you'll be applauding that Parler got taken down.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#1189 » by rtblues » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:35 pm

Please stop including one line from one of my posts, while arguing with a third-party about another idea, yet including my OP, and bang I get three notifications that have nothing to do with my post.
That's not how this works.. It ain't that complicated.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#1190 » by PlayerUp » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:36 pm

Ice Man wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:[Notably, Mitch McConnell is now pro-impeachment.

It all comes down to Mitch. The House vote needs a simple majority to reach the Senate, which it will. Then it needs a two thirds majority. Without Mitch, there will be very few GOP supporters, Mitt and maybe a couple of others. But if Mitch were to cast a Yea vote, then that could indeed lead to conviction. In fact, I would go so far to say that it probably would.

But I don't see Mitch taking that step. It's a drastic one.

Maybe Chuck offers Mitch a deal that they can reset things if they side with him. Chuck offers Mitch a proposition that he won't mess with the filibuster if he votes to convict Trump.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#1191 » by musiqsoulchild » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:36 pm

PlayerUp wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Watch Liz Cheney be the only one to vote with the democrats. Would not surprise me.

What will happen is what you see today. NV or Present. The only possible way I see senators side with the democrats is if Chuck offers them a "deal".

There will be no deal.

The 2022 and 2024 elections ads are already out.

Just run the Capitol attack on continuous loop without any filters or beeping out.

Dems will win in a majority.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#1192 » by musiqsoulchild » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:39 pm

PlayerUp wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Jim Jordan is an ****.

Just saying.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#1193 » by musiqsoulchild » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:41 pm

Quorom:
The minimum number of people needed in order to proceed with a session of the Senate or any other house.

If Republican Senators do not show up, then all you need is 2/3rds of 51 votes to convict Trump.

There you go.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1194 » by Ice Man » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:14 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:Quorom:
The minimum number of people needed in order to proceed with a session of the Senate or any other house.

If Republican Senators do not show up, then all you need is 2/3rds of 51 votes to convict Trump.

There you go.

I looked it up and you are correct, the requirement is 2/3rds of those voting. So if they wished to take the quiet route, Republican Senators who support Trump's impeachment but who do not wish to be on the record as making that vote, could choose not to vote. That seems the likelier approach than an outright Nay vote.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#1195 » by musiqsoulchild » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:22 pm

According to Rep Gaetz:

The Biden Crime Family.

Hilarious
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,603
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#1196 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:29 pm

dougthonus wrote:

Impeachment doesn't prevent you from running again.

https://abc7.com/can-an-impeached-president-win-a-second-term-in-2024-if-trump-resigns-he-run-again-25th-amendment-was/9568187/
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1197 » by Ice Man » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:48 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:According to Rep Gaetz:

The Biden Crime Family.

His evidence is in the envelope, along with that for the 2020 Presidential election fraud, Barack Obama's Kenya birth, New Jersey Muslims cheering the toppling of the World Trade Center, and the guilt of the Central Park Five.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,729

Post#1198 » by dougthonus » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:53 pm

mlitney01 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

https://abc7.com/can-an-impeached-president-win-a-second-term-in-2024-if-trump-resigns-he-run-again-25th-amendment-was/9568187/

Not clear to me whether or not they can do impeach and remove after he's out of office anyway to enforce any of the penalties.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#1199 » by musiqsoulchild » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:56 pm

dougthonus wrote:
mlitney01 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Not clear to me whether or not they can do impeach and remove after he's out of office anyway to enforce any of the penalties.

He can be barred from running from any federal office.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 572

Post#1200 » by Almost Retired » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:44 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:According to Rep Gaetz:

The Biden Crime Family.

Hilarious

Read the book "Profiles In Corruption" by Peter Schweizer. A year and half of research. Well documented. Then, if you had an open mind, you would come to the conclusion that The Biden Crime Family is a mild way to put it. But the Biden's are not alone. They're probably only the second most corrupt Washington DC swamp family. But after the next few years they will probably make a run for the Gold medal currently still held by the repulsive Clinton Crime Family. And it isn't just Democrats. Mitch McConnell's swamp creature wife has a family deeply involved with the Chinese communist government. Who knows what the Bush's were able to secure for themselves during their decades of swamp dwelling.

The thing I am most surprised about is the almost fawning love being shown to these politicians who don't give a crap about you. They beg you for money, beg you for votes, get elected, then represent the same elites. They've strip mined the middle class for at least 30 years. Actually since Nixon removed the spending constraints imposed by the "gold window" in 1971. Up until that point at least the swamp had to tax the present to reward the present. After 1971 it allowed Congress to spend without restraint, which is why we have the National Debt we have and why your Current US Dollar buys about 15 cents of what it did in 1971. And by the end of the Harris (Ankles Up) administration it will be 5 cents if you're lucky. At the current rate the National Debt will be at least $40 Trillion too. Good luck with that. Blame the Uniparty. They all got theirs. That was the goal. Get your $600 check yet?

Return to Chicago Bulls