ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2-8 .. next 10 games

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

canz55
Sixth Man
And1: 2,024

Re: Raps 2-8 .. next 10 games 

Post#21 » by canz55 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:56 pm

stanch sabonis wrote:
canz55 wrote:I'm still not convinced it's going to determine anything.

If we were still Boston-game level bad then I'd agree but the Raps have seemingly turned around their overall production.

Yes we're in a hole and with every loss the season looks more and more like a wash but if I know Masai he's taking his time by letting these guys work through finding their form.

I also think we steal one of the Miami games.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app

Look good? What is the best case scenario for this team? A first round exit? That's preferable to having a top pick in a loaded draft? lol
I'd like a top pick as much as the next person but we're not bad enough to get a lottery pick.

I thought that trading Lowry or him getting injured would virtually guarantee a bottom finish but I'm not convinced the Raps would finish the season in the basement even with FVV and Norman/Mccaw running the guard.
ImageWe the Champs...
Cobra Kawhi
Veteran
And1: 5,957

Post#22 » by Cobra Kawhi » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:07 pm

canz55 wrote:
stanch sabonis wrote:

If we were still Boston-game level bad then I'd agree but the Raps have seemingly turned around their overall production.

Yes we're in a hole and with every loss the season looks more and more like a wash but if I know Masai he's taking his time by letting these guys work through finding their form.

Look good? What is the best case scenario for this team? A first round exit? That's preferable to having a top pick in a loaded draft? lol
I'd like a top pick as much as the next person but we're not bad enough to get a lottery pick.

I thought that trading Lowry or him getting injured would virtually guarantee a bottom finish but I'm not convinced the Raps would finish the season in the basement even with FVV and Norman/Mccaw running the guard.

Bingo
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,744

Post#23 » by metafisical » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:18 am

Preliudas wrote:Start of the season was very rough but the more they play more confident they look. I hope that next 10 games will have much more positive W/L percentage

Yeah, like 0-10. Those two wins in our first 10 games are a blight and shameful.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,744

Post#24 » by metafisical » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:21 am

canz55 wrote:
stanch sabonis wrote:

Then we need to trade Lowry and shut down FVV and Norman. We need to block off any chance at our roster doing something stupid like winning games or being competitive. There is too much risk in our team trying hard or staying close until the final whistle.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
Marty_Budda
Sixth Man
And1: 2,801

Post#25 » by Marty_Budda » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:26 am

canz55 wrote:
stanch sabonis wrote:

Time for Masai to give Freddy and Pascal some personal time off and go partying. They’ve earned it :wink:
ThemCrookedRefs
Head Coach
And1: 11,190

Post#26 » by ThemCrookedRefs » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:38 am

We're going 8-2 8-). I think we lose 1 game to Indiana and 1 game to either the Heat/Bucks. We are turning the corner, time to go streaking!!
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#27 » by tecumseh18 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:33 am

Psubs wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I hope we have the unluckiest season ever. Re-sign Lowry, grab a top pick, sign someone good in the off season.

do you think Lowry will resign at min? because the only way Raps sign someone good in the offseason is if Raptors don't re-sign Lowry.

Would Lowry sign for the MLE for 5 years with the last couple of years decreasing? 10-10-10-8-6.

We have cap space to sign a FA. For practical reasons, that means the MLE and room exceptions are unavailable to us. The only way Lowry returns is if the Raps use cap space to sign him, or he takes the vet min (unlikely, especially as we're unlikely to be contender unless we get VO).
halifax
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#28 » by halifax » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:08 am

another shortened season. let the lakers/clippers/bucks get the asterisk championship. get a top player in the draft just in time for the team's return to Toronto.
trade kyle for top draft pick in a multi team trade. the team will be set for a long time.
Def Leppard
Analyst
And1: 2,218

Post#29 » by Def Leppard » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:38 am

Raps will get in as the 7ish seed and win a first round. Remember me lads.

Sent from my BBE100-5 using RealGM mobile app
"Rise up, gather round, rock this place, to the ground"
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,076

Post#30 » by mihaic » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:44 am

I hope we go either 10-0 or 0-10.
CoinTossRoss31
Rookie
And1: 1,253

Post#31 » by CoinTossRoss31 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:26 pm

canz55 wrote:
stanch sabonis wrote:

I disagree. We lost to GS who won't make the playoffs, and Portland who will probably be somewhere from 5-10 in the west. Everyone complains that we need a superstar, this draft has the potential to have 5. I'm all for a quick tank. Personally I wouldnt even mind keeping FVV/ Siakam.

1- ?
2A- Pascal
2B- FVV
3- OG

If we had a true #1 talent we'd be a force in the east. Just missing that one piece.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#32 » by Indeed » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:11 pm

CoinTossRoss31 wrote:
canz55 wrote:
stanch sabonis wrote:

I disagree. We lost to GS who won't make the playoffs, and Portland who will probably be somewhere from 5-10 in the west. Everyone complains that we need a superstar, this draft has the potential to have 5. I'm all for a quick tank. Personally I wouldnt even mind keeping FVV/ Siakam.

1- ?
2A- Pascal
2B- FVV
3- OG

If we had a true #1 talent we'd be a force in the east. Just missing that one piece.

I am not sold for the player in this draft can be the #1 option. From Wiggins, Anthony Davis, etc. these are the #1 picks, and I don't feel they are the #1 option. And I wonder if we need a #1 option. I do not believe we need a #1 option (hero ball), but someone who can also create mis-match.

Meanwhile, OG is #4 option, he is elite in defense, and you need a lockdown defender. Rim protector can be added afterward. We are #19 in DRtg and #17 in ORtg with Lowry, therefore, I think we need to replace Lowry's production plus a 6th man, then we are pretty much top 10 in offense. Defense still need work with a rim protector + rebounder ideally being stretch.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,777

Post#33 » by Zeno » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:20 pm

ThemCrookedRefs wrote:We're going 8-2 8-). I think we lose 1 game to Indiana and 1 game to either the Heat/Bucks. We are turning the corner, time to go streaking!!

I applaud your faith in the team. Can't quite get there. I think it's more like 6-4 and I'll probably get flamed as a homer.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Slade3
Sixth Man
And1: 805

Post#34 » by Slade3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:11 pm

stanch sabonis wrote:

Except for the fact that the getting a top pick is not guaranteed, hell it's not even likely. Oh, did you forget to mention that? lol
lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,049

Post#35 » by lebron stopper » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:31 pm

Indeed wrote:I do not see Powell would be needed by any team.

Lots of teams want a player who can shoot threes and cut to the rim and play off of better guys, which is what Powell is.

Indeed wrote:he can only score against teams without shot blocker (play against bench unit for this reason).

Not true. Stats show he plays far better as a starter than as a reserve. He comes off the bench because we have too many guards.

Indeed wrote:Therefore, there are only a few teams who plays a fast pace game instead of half court, and taking a 10m contract for a bench role would be too much for them. I just don't see a team would need to fill a 7th or 8th man at the cost.

Or teams could trade for him to start at SG and play off of other guys. (Grizzlies are an obvious trade candidate.)

Indeed wrote:Even we can't use him as the 6th man to help on the scoring.

Again, stats show he plays far better as a starter than as a reserve.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#36 » by Indeed » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:38 pm

lebron stopper wrote:

Lots of teams want a player who can shoot threes and cut to the rim and play off of better guys, which is what Powell is.

Indeed wrote:he can only score against teams without shot blocker (play against bench unit for this reason).

Not true. Stats show he plays far better as a starter than as a reserve. He comes off the bench because we have too many guards.

Indeed wrote:Therefore, there are only a few teams who plays a fast pace game instead of half court, and taking a 10m contract for a bench role would be too much for them. I just don't see a team would need to fill a 7th or 8th man at the cost.

Or teams could trade for him to start at SG and play off of other guys. (Grizzlies are an obvious trade candidate.)

Please show me the stats on this season that he is better as a starter than as a reserve.
The games I watched when he started had almost the worse plus/minus.
lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#37 » by lebron stopper » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:44 pm

Indeed wrote:
lebron stopper wrote:

Please show me the stats on this season that he is better as a starter than as a reserve.

For reference, here are his career splits:

Indeed
RealGM

Post#38 » by Indeed » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:11 pm

lebron stopper wrote:
Indeed wrote:
lebron stopper wrote:

For reference, here are his career splits:

Please look at the game log:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/powelno01/gamelog/2021/

Knicks game gives him +28, which is the only time he has it above team average.
The Kings game was the team worse +/- with +4 outside of Len
The Warriors game was the team worse +/- with -10

Last game he had a team high +9 (feel more like Davis created for him, and until Lowry started to act crazy and breaking stuff) off the bench.

No, I just don't see being good as a starter, it was one game that screw up the data. From the eye test, he lacks the assist (turnovers more than assists) to play at the Guard, while not big enough to play the forward.
lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#39 » by lebron stopper » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:34 pm

Indeed wrote:Please look at the game log

Game log says he had 22 points on 6-8 FG vs the Kings, which is excellent.

Yeah, he was bad against the Warriors. And yet, he's still far better as a starter.

Indeed wrote:No, I just don't see being good as a starter, it was one game that screw up the data.

His career splits say otherwise:

Indeed wrote:From the eye test, he lacks the assist (turnovers more than assists) to play at the Guard, while not big enough to play the forward.

His career assist-to-turnover ratio is much better as a starter, since he doesn't have to worry about making plays when playing off of other players.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#40 » by Indeed » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:08 pm

lebron stopper wrote:
Indeed wrote:Please look at the game log

Game log says he had 22 points on 6-8 FG vs the Kings, which is excellent.

Yeah, he was bad against the Warriors. And yet, he's still far better as a starter.

Indeed wrote:No, I just don't see being good as a starter, it was one game that screw up the data.

His career splits say otherwise:

Indeed wrote:From the eye test, he lacks the assist (turnovers more than assists) to play at the Guard, while not big enough to play the forward.

His career assist-to-turnover ratio is much better as a starter, since he doesn't have to worry about making plays when playing off of other players.

Not sure if you actually watch the game. I watched the game against the Kings, and his scoring comes from spot up and transition. In half court, his only tool to create his own shot is came out from screen and drive straight to the rim (no shot blocker and not being cut off), which is rather limited. While his defense isn't anything good in particular, Fox blown by him on one of the first few possessions.

I am not surprised his numbers are better being a starter, as his game comes from transition, our starting lineup has good defensive players (or two way players) from making them into fast break, however, his individual ability didn't stand out, where his replacement value is currently -0.1:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/powelno01.html

I wouldn't put him as a starter because we want to make him look good. I would rather have someone who can actually help reduce the pressure from our starters to play that spot.

Return to Toronto Raptors