Around the NBA II

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,805

Re: Around the NBA II 

Post#1661 » by esqtvd » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:04 am

og15 wrote:
wco81 wrote:They hugged it out afterwards.

I think Dame may be a bit jealous of Steph because he grew up a Warriors fan and it's someone else having a HoF career playing for his childhood team.

He’s also jealous of Steph’s position. Do I think Lillard is better than Steph? Not at all. Would Lillard have had more success than Steph if they switched places since 13-14, of course.

Steph revolutionized the game. He'll crack the top 15 or 20 all-time. Dame...no.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
MartinRiggs
Junior
And1: 136

Post#1662 » by MartinRiggs » Thu Jan 7, 2021 11:53 am

Markelle Fultz suffered a torn ACL and will miss the remainder of the 20-21 season.

Another bad injury.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,129

Post#1663 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Kyrie is such a clown. It's confusing to me why he gets a free pass for being a toxic and selfish diva while PG is the most hated player in the league just for saying a couple dumb things. Or why Kawhi is vilified for missing games because of a chronic medical condition, but it's okay for Kyrie to skip games to go to a birthday party.

I thought the Nets were going to be this year's equivalent of last year's Clippers, but this is way worse than anything last year's Clippers did.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#1664 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:28 pm

KD chose Kyrie over staying with the Warriors despite Kyrie bailing on Lebron, bailing on the Celtics, the whole flat earth nonsense.

When the Nets got off to a good start, Kyrie was hogging the shots, getting more FGAs than KD and especially in big possessions, he'd call his own number.

Does that sound familiar? Westbrook took too many shots instead of passing to KD on the crucial possessions too.

Now Kyrie is a much better shooter than Westbrook but tends to take a lot of heat check shots. Great when they're falling but stupid when they're not.

KD is a much better shooter than Kyrie but let's see how long it takes for this marriage to sour.

Nets probably have one of the most talented rosters in the league, at least offensively. With Kyrie missing all these games, they may fall back but could still put it together by the end of the season.

But it's just a matter of time before Kyrie has another melt down. The stuff he was talking about with the media early this season, how long before he also turns against the coaches, the front office and teammates?
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#1665 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:56 pm

Never mind the Warriors. KD also chose Kyrie over Kawhi. His obvious bitterness over Kawhi winning a ring and a Finals MVP before he did (and not having to ride the coattails of a 73-win team to do it) blinded him to the reality of Kyrie's antics.

This speaks volumes about Durant, just like his previous weak move of hopping on the Warriors bandwagon for cheap rings did.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,807

Post#1666 » by og15 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:03 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Never mind the Warriors. KD also chose Kyrie over Kawhi. His obvious bitterness over Kawhi winning a ring and a Finals MVP before he did (and not having to ride the coattails of a 73-win team to do it) blinded him to the reality of Kyrie's antics.

This speaks volumes about Durant, just like his previous weak move of hopping on the Warriors bandwagon for cheap rings did.

Pretty sure he chose Kyrie because they are friends, and his friend DJ is also on the team, I think you added a lot of ESPN like sensational story line to it :lol:

I don't know how this would be like joining the Warriors. He chose the harder and really, worse situation, while going to the Warriors he chose the easier path.

Players tend to think being friends will make things work out, maybe it can, but Harden had Paul moved for his BFF Westbrook, and not only did they not have as good a team, they didn't enjoy playing together.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,419

Post#1667 » by TrueLAfan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:35 pm

If it was questionable before with Kyrie, I suspect it will be worse now with Harden added to the mix. The big three of Harden, Kyrie, and Durant is terrific on paper--all of them move the ball well, all of them have complete offensive games. They're also head cases to varying degrees, and all want to be the Alpha guy without wanting to do all the little things an Alpha guy has to do. Like him or not, LeBron knows what to do--and what a team needs to do--to get to a title series. Durant knows, but I'm not sure if he's a guy who can maintain his focus and will enough to push a team there. (Himself, maybe--a team, not so much.) Same with Kyrie and Harden, except (much) more so--they seem to "expect" to get wins based on their talent. That's a trap too many teams fall into...like us last year. When guys like Kyrie and Harden get flustered, they put the team on hold to sort out their own issues. That's a recipe for disaster.

I also think the Nets are going to (really) miss LeVert and, particularly, Allen. LeVert is a good player that was just figuring out his role there--and Allen was really turning into a defensive anchor. With him gone, the two guys who are likely to get a lot more time at the 5 are people we know well ... DeAndre Jordan and Jeff Green. How would you feel about giving DJ 25 minutes at C right now, and having Green fill in 10 more? Which still leaves you with a full quarter of basketball and nobody on the roster who can play the post?
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#1668 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:40 pm

With the league's three biggest divas all on one team and all the pressure on them to win now, hopefully the NBA community can now go obsess over them and leave the Clippers alone.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,047

Dilemmas To The Max 

Post#1669 » by Wammy Giveaway » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:09 pm

The Clippers have their hands full. Suns, 76ers and Nets: three huge threats all featuring former Clippers of the Lob City era (Chris Paul, Doc Rivers, DeAndre Jordan).

Which team do you fear the most?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#1670 » by og15 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:11 am

MartinToVaught wrote:With the league's three biggest divas all on one team and all the pressure on them to win now, hopefully the NBA community can now go obsess over them and leave the Clippers alone.

Nets are going to be fun to watch, both in the in court play and the drama. I agree, let's have people worry about them and leave the Clippers alone for a bit.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#1671 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:59 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Read on Twitter

Kyrie is such a clown. It's confusing to me why he gets a free pass for being a toxic and selfish diva while PG is the most hated player in the league just for saying a couple dumb things. Or why Kawhi is vilified for missing games because of a chronic medical condition, but it's okay for Kyrie to skip games to go to a birthday party.

I thought the Nets were going to be this year's equivalent of last year's Clippers, but this is way worse than anything last year's Clippers did.

Because he hit a big shot, basically.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Re: Dilemmas To The Max 

Post#1672 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:06 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:The Clippers have their hands full. Suns, 76ers and Nets: three huge threats all featuring former Clippers of the Lob City era (Chris Paul, Doc Rivers, DeAndre Jordan).

Which team do you fear the most?

I largely fear the West, in the sense that the Clippers have huge expectations to at least make it to the Finals this year. If they can do that, I think they will play their best series in the Finals- win or lose.

I don't think they'll fold this year if they are pushed, like last season. But I think Lue is gonna have to do a great job of coaching from all aspects to have them playing at a high level in WCF's or semi's.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1673 » by esqtvd » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:09 am

Sixers benefiting from Joel Embiid’s vocal leadership and realization that ‘we’ is greater than ‘me’
by Keith Pompey

Embiid is averaging 25 points, 11.5 rebounds, a career-best 1.4 steals and 1.5 blocks, while shooting a career-best 39.4% on three-pointers. But perhaps his greatest impact has been vocal leadership.

:wink:

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/philadelphia-sixers-joel-embiid-nba-covid-memphis-grizzlies-tyrese-maxey-20210117.html
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#1674 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:42 pm

Well, now Doc has another excuse for when he chokes again in the playoffs. It wasn't his "coaching" that was the problem, Embiid's vocal leadership just wasn't good enough after all!
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#1675 » by og15 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:50 am

What happened to Blake? I suggested at another point that I think he's coasting, but his numbers are REALLY bad. If you want to get traded, putting up trash numbers like this with his injury history and the concerns about his health won't get it done.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1676 » by esqtvd » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:10 am

og15 wrote:What happened to Blake? I suggested at another point that I think he's coasting, but his numbers are REALLY bad. If you want to get traded, putting up trash numbers like this with his injury history and the concerns about his health won't get it done.

Yup. Imagine if we were still stuck with him. We got damn lucky Van Gundy was so desperate. He sold the Pistons out bigtime--worst record in the league now.
wco81
RealGM

Post#1677 » by wco81 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:06 am

Looks like he lost all his athleticism.

Leave it to Detroit to take on that contract.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Post#1678 » by Captain Ballmer » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:48 pm

og15 wrote:What happened to Blake? I suggested at another point that I think he's coasting, but his numbers are REALLY bad. If you want to get traded, putting up trash numbers like this with his injury history and the concerns about his health won't get it done.

2021 Blake is still better than 2020 Batum. Look at Batum now...

Just put him on a defined "Role" then he will be fine piece for 25 mpg.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#1679 » by og15 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:26 pm

Captain Ballmer wrote:

2021 Blake is still better than 2020 Batum. Look at Batum now...

Just put him on a defined "Role" then he will be fine piece for 25 mpg.
He's playing like a role player for Detroit, posts up every once in a while, but generally just a passer and spot up shooter. Of course the problem is that Blake is making max money and has a player option for $39 million next season.

He was pretty bad last season too, but I just chalked it up to playing injured and thought he would be better this season.

For sure one can find a role for him, I just didn't think he was at the point where he is just a role player. If he can't find that in Detroit though, it will be tough because they aren't going to be able to move that contract.
wco81
RealGM

Post#1680 » by wco81 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:50 pm

I guess that's the problem for a player who mostly depends on elite athleticism.

Blake developed his outside shooting pretty well but he got paid because of the elite athleticism.

He has this interest in the entertainment industry. I wonder if he's quite as driven as he used to be. Of course he wants to win but he's still relatively young so is he doing everything he can to rehab from his injuries?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers