ImageImageImage

Goodbye pre-season! 2020-2021 regular season thread

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

Bourne85
General Manager
And1: 8,997

Re: Goodbye pre-season! 2020-2021 regular season thread 

Post#441 » by Bourne85 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:21 am

Oladipo isn’t good enough. The heat need a whale not a sardine
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,298

Post#442 » by Wiltside » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:39 am

I think the interest has always been there with Vic, but on our terms. We weren’t going to send Herro to Indiana to facilitate it. We aren’t going to send him to Houston to facilitate it either.

Should be a deadline target for us. We can send them Nunn, KZ, Leonard and a pick for him or something once it’s clear he isn’t re-signing with them. Wonder if Dipo tries to hold out to get to a destination of his choosing too...we’ll see.

If you can get him now without losing a thing major of substance, you gotta look at it.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,028

Post#443 » by twix2500 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:39 am

Bourne85 wrote:Oladipo isn’t good enough. The heat need a whale not a sardine
There are no more Whales left. K. Leonard is not an option for the Heat.

Oladipo definitely alone is not enough but if they could also add a high quality lengthy defensive four it with Oladipo it may be so. Definitely would my them a hard battle against any team.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,191

Post#444 » by Bishop45 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:49 am

Maybe Jokic gets tired of being in NBA Siberia? Don't think it'd make us better than Nets/Lakers but better is better. Unless Herro and gang are completely off limits and the market dictates
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
El Alonzo scowl
Starter
And1: 5,361

Post#445 » by El Alonzo scowl » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:40 am

I'd go all in for Bradley Beal. Jimmy, Beal, and Bam as our Big 3 can mount a credible challenge to BK's.
insfo
General Manager
And1: 10,874

Post#446 » by insfo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:01 am

Wiltside wrote:If you’d rather have Rich, Winslow and a first right now over Jimmy, I’m not sure what else to tell you.

Jimmy raised the ceiling of this team. As did moving Hassan to allow Bam to thrive. Our plan became unstuck via COVID, but let’s give the FO the benefit of the doubt that moves will be made. I’m sure they know we don’t have enough to compete with the big boys right now. Butler is 31, he still has a few high level years left.

I don't think that's what AirP is saying. He's a Butler fan, so he's frustrated that we don't seem to be putting in the effort to build around him. Maybe he feels Butler might have fared better if he stayed in Philly or gone to a different team?

Anyway, we've all been there during the Wade years, just before the big 3 formed. Wade was in his prime, but Riles was surrounding him with the likes of Diawara, Beasley and similar crap. That definitely is not the case here since we just went to the finals, so that should mean something to Butler since he had not made it out of the second round in his career until he came here. But that I'm sure has us all wanting more, since we only seemed to be a piece (or 2) away.

All that said, I'm definitely not throwing in the towel just because we didn't land Harden. I know on paper Brooklyn look formidable, but we all know that the games are played on the court and anything can happen in a series. This might be the fan in my talking, but I still fancy us against any team in the east in a 7 game series. At least as soon as we get over whatever funk we seem to be in now :(
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,368

Post#447 » by RexBoyWonder » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:06 am

twix2500 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:Oladipo and Wall do not fit....

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

This Oladipo Miami connection has been the weirdest.

I keep telling you, if he just keeps healthy and plays good we're signing him this offseason. He wants to come to a real OG Org and destroy these diva 3 stars hookups.

Oladipo/Dragic
Herro/Bradley
Jimmy/Robinson
Precious/KZ
Bam/

I rather watch this team try to upset fools then have Harden and substract - Herro - Robinson - Precious - KZ - Oladipo - 8 picks and swaps.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#448 » by RexBoyWonder » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:12 am

opportunity cost matters.

Harden >>> Oladipo

But Oladipo (If healthy) allows us to keep everyone we have and add him into cap space because he'll be a free agent.

So Herro + Duncan + Precious + KZ + 4 of our future picks in the next 7 years >>>>>> Harden alone.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#449 » by RexBoyWonder » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:20 am

insfo wrote:
Wiltside wrote:If you’d rather have Rich, Winslow and a first right now over Jimmy, I’m not sure what else to tell you.

Jimmy raised the ceiling of this team. As did moving Hassan to allow Bam to thrive. Our plan became unstuck via COVID, but let’s give the FO the benefit of the doubt that moves will be made. I’m sure they know we don’t have enough to compete with the big boys right now. Butler is 31, he still has a few high level years left.

I don't think that's what AirP is saying. He's a Butler fan, so he's frustrated that we don't seem to be putting in the effort to build around him. Maybe he feels Butler might have fared better if he stayed in Philly or gone to a different team?

Anyway, we've all been there during the Wade years, just before the big 3 formed. Wade was in his prime, but Riles was surrounding him with the likes of Diawara, Beasley and similar crap. That definitely is not the case here since we just went to the finals, so that should mean something to Butler since he had not made it out of the second round in his career until he came here. But that I'm sure has us all wanting more, since we only seemed to be a piece (or 2) away.

All that said, I'm definitely not throwing in the towel just because we didn't land Harden. I know on paper Brooklyn look formidable, but we all know that the games are played on the court and anything can happen in a series. This might be the fan in my talking, but I still fancy us against any team in the east in a 7 game series. At least as soon as we get over whatever funk we seem to be in now :(

Most of us agree we're a piece away, but we have ways to Add that piece. Ways that don't include gutting the most fun young team we had in 20 years.

So the asking price for Harden was too high for Pat, that should tell us something, knowing his track record.

We'll have serious cap space this offseason, Oladipo and a few others might really fit here and be attainable.

There will also be more stars on the trading block, like always. Maybe younger ones then Harden, maybe ones that fit the culture and playing style better.

We need to be smart and make the right move, not just rush into the first splashy move that pops up.

Let's see what the FO does this next year to add the piece or 2 Pieces we seem to be missing.
Bourne85
General Manager

Post#450 » by Bourne85 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:33 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:

Harden >>> Oladipo

But Oladipo (If healthy) allows us to keep everyone we have and add him into cap space because he'll be a free agent.

So Herro + Duncan + Precious + KZ + 4 of our future picks in the next 7 years >>>>>> Harden alone.

Only with Heat goggles on are having those role players better than having Harden. Harden Jimmy Bam could’ve been something, sadly, the Rockets didn’t like our role players and we moved on.

It‘a very simple and I have been saying it since I joined here, you either have a couple SUPER Stars or you have nothing. Just biding your time until you finally land the stars needed. A flukey miracle bubble run doesn’t change the formula that has worked since the NBA started

Stars league. You either got em or your treadmilling or tanking. Nothing more nothing less. Soon Drob making 15-20 per, Herro possible max from some dumb team forcing us to match. How’s our team looking at that point?

Today the entire East took an L and the heat look to have it the worst as we are the weakest of the eastern “contenders”. The East is now a two team show with the improved Bucks and the Big 3 Nets. Everyone else plays catch up.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#451 » by RexBoyWonder » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:51 am

Bourne85 wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:

Harden >>> Oladipo

Only with Heat goggles on are having those role players better than having Harden. Harden Jimmy Bam could’ve been something, sadly, the Rockets didn’t like our role players and we moved on.

It‘a very simple and I have been saying it since I joined here, you either have a couple SUPER Stars or you have nothing. Just biding your time until you finally land the stars needed. A flukey miracle bubble run doesn’t change the formula that has worked since the NBA started

Stars league. You either got em or your treadmilling or tanking. Nothing more nothing less. Soon Drob making 15-20 per, Herro possible max from some dumb team forcing us to match. How’s our team looking at that point?

Today the entire East took an L and the heat look to have it the worst as we are the weakest of the eastern “contenders”. The East is now a two team show with the improved Bucks and the Big 3 Nets. Everyone else plays catch up.

Even if one subscribes to your point of view that stars > everything else, why assume we should pay ANY price for ANY star out there?

Harden is not the only star that is going to be traded in the next year. What if Beal costs less and is younger and a better fit? What if Herro and Bam make a jump into stardom next couple of years? Maybe a star demands to be traded here and by that lower his trading value?

I want us to have stars, but the question becomes who are the right stars for us, at what cost should we acquire them, how do they fit out timeline, what are the different ways to build a team around our stars.

Harden for many reasons just wasn't a great options for us. Maybe if Rockets really believed in Herro as the main piece a trade could have made sense, but we shouldn't overpay for every star out there ignoring the bigger picture. There will be options for us, hopefully better ones than what the Rockets demands were.

We all know Pat understands the importance of top talent. If he sees a deal he likes, he'll pull the trigger. Harden wasn't it, not for the asking price.
Bourne85
General Manager

Post#452 » by Bourne85 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:07 am

RexBoyWonder wrote:
Bourne85 wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:

Harden >>> Oladipo

Even if one subscribes to your point of view that stars > everything else, why assume we should pay ANY price for ANY star out there?

Harden is not the only star that is going to be traded in the next year. What if Beal costs less and is younger and a better fit? What if Herro and Bam make a jump into stardom next couple of years? Maybe a star demands to be traded here and by that lower his trading value?

I want us to have stars, but the question becomes who are the right stars for us, at what cost should we acquire them, how do they fit out timeline, what are the different ways to build a team around our stars.

Harden for many reasons just wasn't a great options for us. Maybe if Rockets really believed in Herro as the main piece a trade could have made sense, but we shouldn't overpay for every star out there ignoring the bigger picture. There will be options for us, hopefully better ones than what the Rockets demands were.

We all know Pat understands the importance of top talent. If he sees a deal he likes, he'll pull the trigger. Harden wasn't it, not for the asking price.

Agreed, but it’s not who are the right stars for us, it’s who are the stars and who are the pretenders. Oladipo is no star, paying him top dollar which he will want will be a mistake. Especially when Brooklyn has 3 real stars and our team wouldn’t stand a chance unless it’s miracle injuries like it happened for Toronto. Paying for a fake star like Griffin would be another terrible play.

Go get a Beal, Dame, or some other true star or reallllllyyy close to it on a losing team. We traded for Jimmy. We don’t have time to wait on Herro or Precious etc.

Unless you want to toss Jimmy out then and build around Bam n Herro. I’d be ok with that as well bring back some picks and a young talent. And play for the future. But you can’t play for both.
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#453 » by puppa bear » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:34 am

twix2500 wrote:

Oladipo definitely alone is not enough but if they could also add a high quality lengthy defensive four it with Oladipo it may be so. Definitely would my them a hard battle against any team.

Somehow getting a Dipo/Wood combo from Houston would be a big win. What would it cost though? And are we willing to pay that price?
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,028

Post#454 » by twix2500 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:16 am

puppa bear wrote:
twix2500 wrote:

Somehow getting a Dipo/Wood combo from Houston would be a big win. What would it cost though? And are we willing to pay that price?

More than you are willing and what the Heat are capable to give. It's likely best to wait and see if the Heat can fit Oladipo and Otto Porter under the salary cap this summer.
HeatingUp3
Veteran
And1: 4,877

Post#455 » by HeatingUp3 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:43 am

Getting Oladipo and Wood can be amazing if we can keep Herro/Bam/Jimmy.

Dipo
Herro
Jimmy
Wood
Bam

Not bad. Wood can turn into a star.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 144,292

Post#456 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:57 am

Let’s get Dipo and Tucker NOW
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#457 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:57 am

HeatingUp3 wrote:Getting Oladipo and Wood can be amazing if we can keep Herro/Bam/Jimmy.

Dipo
Herro
Jimmy
Wood
Bam

Not bad. Wood can turn into a star.

We are not getting Wood. More like Dipo and Tucker
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#458 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:14 pm

KO, Iggy, Nunn, KZ and any picks we can throw in for Dipo and Tucker. I like Tucker in the Crowder role from last year.
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#459 » by puppa bear » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:23 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:KO, Iggy, Nunn, KZ and any picks we can throw in for Dipo and Tucker. I like Tucker in the Crowder role from last year.

Not sure why all the PJ love. We could probably use the TPE to swing for someone like Noel or RoLo at the deadline if we still need post help.

I’d start with Iggy/Nunn/pick for Dipo and see where negotiations go from there - he has market of basically one team, so for Houston it’s basically get what you can.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#460 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:26 pm

puppa bear wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:KO, Iggy, Nunn, KZ and any picks we can throw in for Dipo and Tucker. I like Tucker in the Crowder role from last year.

Not sure why all the PJ love. We could probably use the TPE to swing for someone like Noel or RoLo at the deadline if we still need post help.

I’d start with Iggy/Nunn/pick for Dipo and see where negotiations go from there - he has market of basically one team, so for Houston it’s basically get what you can.

I’m fine with that offer. I’ll even throw them Silva for good measure lol. Wish we could toss in some other scrubs like Harkless and Leonard but they can’t be dealt till February.

Return to Miami Heat