ImageImageImage

Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#21 » by PharmD » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:21 am

This is the one play i really liked. Use the off-ball action to get the defense's eyes focused on DLo. Those of us that watched the Jazz saw this cut a lot and then it also traveled to Phoenix last year.

karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#22 » by karch34 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:26 am

I was starting to regret no league pass in the 3rd and felt better at the end, but worse about team. I dont see how we can be a more physical team if we don't have those players. Not saying we dont have a couple players who try hard but looking at this roster i dont see physical as even close to being a possible identity. Following box scores what's deal with Culver his numbers don't look bad but I see barely double digit minutes and a couple shots. Know he's bench for us but seems like all promise from early on is gone with little opportunity...what am I missing?
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#23 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:29 am

The really sad part is that we really don't have choice going forward.

Develoment is not going to take us anywhere with this players. As expected. And tanking isn't a serious option when we don't have our own pick secured.

Is just dissapointment after dissapointment with this franchise. We sometimes have to have some faith but really, this team is not good enough. Not now and not ever. And again we are stuck.
Stuck to a point where we have to trade KAT to start all over again. It's a matter of time.
PharmD
Head Coach

Post#24 » by PharmD » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:31 am

karch34 wrote:I was starting to regret no league pass in the 3rd and felt better at the end, but worse about team. I dont see how we can be a more physical team if we don't have those players. Not saying we dont have a couple players who try hard but looking at this roster i dont see physical as even close to being a possible identity. Following box scores what's deal with Culver his numbers don't look bad but I see barely double digit minutes and a couple shots. Know he's bench for us but seems like all promise from early on is gone with little opportunity...what am I missing?

Culver's hitch is back in a big way. He's not even close on his shots. His rebounding has been the best thing about him this year, and we've really needed it.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,358

Post#25 » by AbeVigodaLive » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:01 am

The Wolves last three 1st round draft picks, Edwards (#1), Culver (traded up to #6) and Okogie (#20) combined for 7 points in 54 minutes.

The Grizzlies had three of its bench players in its starting lineup... and had one guy out there brought in on a hardship loophole because they needed players...

Meanwhile, the entire healthy Wolves bench was either drafted by Rosas or traded for by Rosas...

... the Grizzlies bench scored 50 points (20 - 37 fg) and the Wolves bench scored 21 points (7 - 20 fg).
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,404

Post#26 » by Wolveswin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:10 am

Time to trade Towns. The iron is hot and ready. In a year he will be demanding out. In two years he will have lost all value (being how ugly the situation will grow and so few years on his deal).

Wolves will most likely hand Warriors 2021 4-5th pick at this pace. Maybe the Wolves get lucky and stay 1-3...that doesn’t sound like the Wolves.

Sadly any Towns trade starts in San Francisco and most likely requires Wiggins back, but get’er done. Wiseman and their own 2021 1st is great restart. Ship off Rubio and maybe Beasley to highest bidder.

Also let Edwards and Culver get tank playing time. Try see what they can do being featured.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,137

Post#27 » by Calinks » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:23 am

I disagree with all the doom and gloom takes. Yes we stink, flat out, we are a bad team. We still will improve over the course of this season. The team is already showing signs of growth, we just aren't there yet and got a long ways to go. I think things will look more positive by seasons end we are still straight up rebuilding as opposed to contending for anything.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
PharmD
Head Coach

Post#28 » by PharmD » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:24 am

Calinks wrote:I disagree with all the doom and gloom takes. Yes we stink, flat out, we are a bad team. We still will improve over the course of this season. The team is already showing signs of growth, we just aren't there yet and got a long ways to go. I think things will look more positive by seasons end we are still straight up rebuilding as opposed to contending for anything.

Nah, the young players are regressing. Culver, Edwards, and Naz are all playing worse as the season goes on.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,155

Post#29 » by winforlose » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:52 am

I stopped watching for a while, but tonight I was in the mood for basketball. They didn’t guard JH. They doubled off and dared him to score. He didn’t. They didn’t guard Ricky. They dared him to score. He didn’t. They barley guarded Culver and he didn’t score either. Ryan does nothing to put any player in a position to excel. This game was the least team oriented effort I can remember watching in a long while. My god we need a new coach (preferably one who gets the job for talent rather than last name and pedigree.) Edwards was the wrong draft choice and is proving it. Rubio was a massive mistake and is proving it. Culver’s first two games were great, he did not improve since last year and is proving it. JH did not come to play and needs to be disciplined severely for reporting out of shape. Meanwhile, Layman needs JH minutes or even Jayden at this point.

Either we run an offense or the worst teams will stomp us. Either we run a defense or the worst teams will stomp us. Either we play bigger or EVERY team will go right over us.
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#30 » by old school 34 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:53 am

PharmD wrote:
Calinks wrote:I disagree with all the doom and gloom takes. Yes we stink, flat out, we are a bad team. We still will improve over the course of this season. The team is already showing signs of growth, we just aren't there yet and got a long ways to go. I think things will look more positive by seasons end we are still straight up rebuilding as opposed to contending for anything.

Nah, the young players are regressing. Culver, Edwards, and Naz are all playing worse as the season goes on.
Because Culver essentially looked good in the equivalent of summer league...that's the norm & now he's regressing?

It's crazy over the top frustrating as a long time Wolves fan, but I feel I have to constantly remind myself that the current Rosas/Saunders regime shouldn't pay for past mistakes. Do I want them to stay on the gas pedal, absolutely but the reality is it will take time & a few moves away yet? But with Calinks...it will get better as the season goes.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,137

Post#31 » by Calinks » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:59 am

PharmD wrote:

Improvement generally isn't a straight chart upwards. Going to be ups and downs. Not saying we are going to be an elite team by season's end but I think we will be decidedly better than what we are now. Just like I think what we are now is better than what we were a month ago. It's hard to go from getting blown out of the water consistently to being good overnight.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#32 » by Foye » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:42 am

Wolves never fail to disappoint.
When you think it can't get any worse they are blown out 38-17 in the 4th quarter against the JJJR & Ja Morant-less Grizzlies of all teams.

There is simply no excuse for losses like this one.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#33 » by winforlose » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:38 am

Foye wrote:Wolves never fail to disappoint.
When you think it can't get any worse they are blown out 38-17 in the 4th quarter against the JJJR & Ja Morant-less Grizzlies of all teams.

There is an excuse, we don’t run an offense. We entirely depend on the shooting of KAT, Dlo, and MB to carry us. We don’t set off ball screens. We don’t have proper off ball movement. We don’t even put our best units on the floor when it really matters. Not only are we poorly coached, but we lack leadership. Ricky was supposed to fix this, but I don’t see it yet.

BTW, in the first half Memphis missed a lot of open layups and 3s. It’s not that we were dominant in the first half, they were simply cold and we were not. In the fourth our big 3 went cold and we had no one to carry the load. Meanwhile they heated up in the fourth and took advantage of our lack of scoring to build the momentum and confidence which carried them to a double digit victory.
PharmD
Head Coach

Post#34 » by PharmD » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:10 am

We lost 80-44 in the paint. Basketball is a game for tall people.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#35 » by Foye » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:18 am

winforlose wrote:

There is an excuse, we don’t run an offense. We entirely depend on the shooting of KAT, Dlo, and MB to carry us. We don’t set off ball screens. We don’t have proper off ball movement. We don’t even put our best units on the floor when it really matters. Not only are we poorly coached, but we lack leadership. Ricky was supposed to fix this, but I don’t see it yet.

BTW, in the first half Memphis missed a lot of open layups and 3s. It’s not that we were dominant in the first half, they were simply cold and we were not. In the fourth our big 3 went cold and we had no one to carry the load. Meanwhile they heated up in the fourth and took advantage of our lack of scoring to build the momentum and confidence which carried them to a double digit victory.

There is no excuse.
These guys are grown men.
If its not working what the coach has to offer then get your ass together and develop a better plan than what the coach has to offer.
Its been going on for years now which tells me exactly one thing. This group around KAT will most definitely never put it together. They dont even have the desire to do so.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#36 » by winforlose » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:44 am

Foye wrote:
winforlose wrote:

There is no excuse.
These guys are grown men.
If its not working what the coach has to offer then get your ass together and develop a better plan than what the coach has to offer.
Its been going on for years now which tells me exactly one thing. This group around KAT will most definitely never put it together. They dont even have the desire to do so.

Players don’t control the roster or rotation. Ricky cannot shoot, they barely guard him. JH and Vanderbilt both cannot shoot and they barely guard them. When any combination of 2 or 3 of them share the floor we are doomed. Edwards and Culver are quickly descending to that level. Layman and Davis have both already fallen off the cliff as well. If half your roster cannot play under your current system, what does that say about your system. Never mind what it says about your roster.
Charly
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#37 » by Charly » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:06 pm

This team is totally predictable and all teams know it.

They just know that the game system is to pass the ball to Dlo, Town or Beasly and they will play it one versus all. Rest of the players will simply watch and occasionally try something out of the ordinary.

This is very easy to defend, players who are not defending those three players will rest and wait for the failure shoot to catch the rebound and counterattack.

Problem is game system, which does not exist.
There is no collective effort because they don't ask for it, just give it to the team's cracks and go to the corner to create space.

No matter what player changes were made, with this mentality you are not going anywhere.
kane0801
Rookie
And1: 625

Post#38 » by kane0801 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:36 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:Outside of dlo, Beasley, towns I doubt anyone else is a legit starter. Edwards is the #1 pick. But he only gives u a good shooting game once in a while. This team is lacking a normal size 3D and a good PF who can protect the paint and rebound.

Yup, only dlo, Beasley, towns can score in this team,Rubio,Okogie,Culver,even Edwards...all of them can't shoot :noway:
Charly
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#39 » by Charly » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:50 pm

kane0801 wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:Outside of dlo, Beasley, towns I doubt anyone else is a legit starter. Edwards is the #1 pick. But he only gives u a good shooting game once in a while. This team is lacking a normal size 3D and a good PF who can protect the paint and rebound.

Yup, only dlo, Beasley, towns can score in this team,Rubio,Okogie,Culver,even Edwards...all of them can't shoot :noway:

I don't agree with that.
Rubio has been shooting well three years in a row, Edwards has been shooting well until he missed at the end of a match, Culver has been shooting well until a couple of games ago, and so on.
It is really hard to shoot if you are not involved in game plan. In my opinion it's more a lack of confidence.
Coaches has to know how to motivate their players.
We don't know the messages those players are receiving.
All of us who have been coaches know that it can be motivated with positive or negative reinforcement (it depends on the player). What kills the players is the incongruity in the messages. I'm afraid there is no one at the helm.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,625

Post#40 » by thinktank » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:44 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Saunders never takes any culpability for bad rotations.
What would you pay a guy putting up 18 and 11 in the playoffs?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves