Who still wants Harden?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Re: Who still wants Harden? 

Post#2041 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:28 am

For the Sixers.

If it will take a pick, Maxey, Thybulle and Ben, Morey should have get it done.

But I guess Rox’s asking price for those picks were high.

Rox was not asking Morey to match the offer with something as valuable but Rox was asking Morey to give the Rox a more valuable offer than the Nets.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 581

Post#2042 » by blargh » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:32 am

AI_Efficiency wrote:
I think we should operate from the position that finishing last and second are essentially the same if you never get a ring. Winning a championship is all that matters. Even if your team is terrible for a decade, if it ups your chances at a ring by a significant amount it might be worth rolling those dice. Maybe other better opportunities will come down the road that puts us in a better position, but I think it’s pretty rare someone as good as Harden is gettable (at least putting FA aside). It’s really not that big a deal to trade all the picks and be awful like the nets. No different then us getting bounced in the second round every year. Rather at least take the chance at being great.

I can understand that viewpoint, even if I don’t agree with it. Harden is great, but he’s just not a sure enough thing for me to give up that much, if I’m the Nets. I still wouldn’t pick Brooklyn over the Lakers this year even. And i still think this Sixers team has a puncher’s chance in the playoffs. It’s not like those pre-Process years when we were really on a treadmill to nowhere.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#2043 » by sixers hoops » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:39 am

blargh wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ok my bad.

Thats quite a haul

Plus Lavert, Allen, Kurucs, and probably Prince are all positive assets in of themselves.

Yeah, ultimately there was a very limited market for Harden. Probably only five or six teams were seriously in a position to attain him. However, in the end it ended up Brooklyn and Philly bidding each other up.

I thought Ben Simmons would be worth more than Caris and the draft pick cornucopia, but three firsts and four swaps, along with salary relief, and a few other positive asset players, Houston got a pretty good deal.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,589

Post#2044 » by Iverson Armband » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:44 am

sixers hoops wrote:
blargh wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Ok my bad.

Thats quite a haul

Plus Lavert, Allen, Kurucs, and probably Prince are all positive assets in of themselves.

Yeah, ultimately there was a very limited market for Harden. Probably only five or six teams were seriously in a position to attain him. However, in the end it ended up Brooklyn and Philly bidding each other up.

I thought Ben Simmons would be worth more than Caris and the draft pick cornucopia, but three firsts and four swaps, along with salary relief, and a few other positive asset players, Houston got a pretty good deal.

4 firsts actually. They got a nice deal.
always a jump shot away.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#2045 » by sixers hoops » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:46 am

blargh wrote:
AI_Efficiency wrote:
I think we should operate from the position that finishing last and second are essentially the same if you never get a ring. Winning a championship is all that matters. Even if your team is terrible for a decade, if it ups your chances at a ring by a significant amount it might be worth rolling those dice. Maybe other better opportunities will come down the road that puts us in a better position, but I think it’s pretty rare someone as good as Harden is gettable (at least putting FA aside). It’s really not that big a deal to trade all the picks and be awful like the nets. No different then us getting bounced in the second round every year. Rather at least take the chance at being great.

I can understand that viewpoint, even if I don’t agree with it. Harden is great, but he’s just not a sure enough thing for me to give up that much, if I’m the Nets. I still wouldn’t pick Brooklyn over the Lakers this year even. And i still think this Sixers team has a puncher’s chance in the playoffs. It’s not like those pre-Process years when we were really on a treadmill to nowhere.

Currently, the Lakers are favorites at +260 and Nets right behind at +270. Clippers at +600 and Bucks at +700. Sixers are fifth at +1800. Seems pretty accurate, and odds that make the Nets gamble worth it. However, the Nets are a tenuous +270, with a Durant injury, Kyrie implosion, Harden disruption from falling apart. Ultimately, so much talent, id bet on them landing in the finals.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#2046 » by sixers hoops » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:48 am

Iverson Armband wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
blargh wrote:

Ahh I didn’t realize they got a Cleveland pick too.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2047 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:03 am

Rafael Stone and the Rox played it well.

Given how, in the end, the Nets gave more than what we offered.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2048 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:10 am

In a 7 game series, is Seth Curry playable? He has to defend either Kyrie or Harden right?

I think he can but we need to rely a lot on team defense for that.

Crazy thing about the Nets is they can take advantage of a mismatch by not even settling for post plays. Harden and KD can just shoot over guys.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#2049 » by TTP » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:28 am

76ciology wrote:In a 7 game series, is Seth Curry playable? He has to defend either Kyrie or Harden right?

Crazy thing about the Nets is they can take advantage of a mismatch by not even settling for post plays. Harden and KD can just shoot over guys.

He was incredibly positive in both of his playoff series to date, with Portland two years ago and with the Mavs last year. The Mavs were massively better with Seth on the floor last year vs the Clippers and he played significant minutes for them. Their offense was 30 points better with him on the floor that series! There's no way he's unplayable.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2050 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:30 am

TTP wrote:
76ciology wrote:In a 7 game series, is Seth Curry playable? He has to defend either Kyrie or Harden right?

He was incredibly positive in both of his playoff series to date, with Portland two years ago and with the Mavs last year. The Mavs were massively better with Seth on the floor last year vs the Clippers and he played significant minutes for them. There's no way he's unplayable.

Good point.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#2051 » by phifans » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:34 am

sixers hoops wrote:
Iverson Armband wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Ahh I didn’t realize they got a Cleveland pick too.

They got the fourth pick for Allen and Prince.

So basically it's four picks and a bunch of expiring contracts.

I guess it's just Ben do not have that much value at least for a rebuilding Rox.
joshuapending
Junior
And1: 101

Post#2052 » by joshuapending » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:54 am

Well people just have to hope Ben is pissed and goes out to prove everyone wrong.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,490

Post#2053 » by elchengue20 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 am

Probably it's a good situation for Ben.On one side he could have motivation for nearly being traded and now wants to prove everybody wrong.

On the bright side,he didn't got traded to a rebuilding Houston and still has a chance here to compete for a championship.He was very close to ending in a team going nowhere for years. Makes sense that he feels relieved and happy, hope it translates to his game.

Still it won't make him learn to shoot in one day, so i don't know if it matters lol.Hope at least he levels up his current game a bit and shows his best version.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#2054 » by Kolkmania » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:57 am

Nets were willing to offer three unprotected first round picks, four unprotected pick swaps LeVert, Allen, Prince, Exum and Kurucs.

That's a steep price and I'm glad we didn't match that. Sure those early picks are likely to be in the 25-30 range, but things can change quickly. Warriors went from the best roster in the league in 2018 to dead last in 2020.

Reminder, none of the three guys have contracts past 2022. If thing go south in the next 1.5 years for whatever reason, they're once again doomed for the following 5-10 years. Also, owners are apparently willing to go in severe cap hell if they do resign.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#2055 » by Kolkmania » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:18 am

Negrodamus wrote:
Mik317 wrote:some of yall don't want to hear this but....the nets package is better than our package...from houston's stand point. They are probably going to either bottom out or mediocre it up and the owner doesn't want more salary on his hands (dude is broke for a rich guy) so for him this deal is great because it clears space but doesn't make Adam Silver mad that he is tanking overtly either. Plus the implosion of the Nets is still a chance and even if not those later picks are going to be useful.

Read on Twitter

Just a reminder for if the Rockets want to stealth tank that the Thunder have their nuts in a vice for a bit. They must really be banking on a blow up in Brooklyn.

Woof, forgot that one. Oladipo will help (for how long?), but I have no faith in a trio of Wall, Cousins and Wood becoming a coherent team. Still a lottery team imo. Those picks will be really valuable (even a pick swap from Clippers/Heat to Houston is substantial).
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#2056 » by VDT » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:42 am

We may never now what the real offers were or what the Rockets demanded. I could even see the Sixers FO leaking some exaggerated demands from the Rockets as a damage control. Who knows, Morey might have tried to lowball them and it backfired.

Beyond that, the Nets offer is terrible. They have already traded the Nets players and there is very little chance the picks will amount to anything.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2057 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:53 am

VDT wrote:We may never now what the real offers were or what the Rockets demanded. I could even see the Sixers FO leaking some exaggerated demands from the Rockets as a damage control. Who knows, Morey might have tried to lowball them and it backfired.

Beyond that, the Nets offer is terrible. They have already traded the Nets players and there is very little chance the picks will amount to anything.

Picks swap 25&27 and the unprotected pick in 26, probably has a chance to be a lottery or multiple lottery picks.

Durant is 33 and Harden is 32 this year.

They’d be 36-37 years old by 2025.
38 and 39 by that 2027 pick.

Kyrie is proven to be an empty lottery player and i’d imagine him teaching yoga in tibet by then.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#2058 » by VDT » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:10 am

The Nets are playing in Ny and have a competent FO. It will be easy for them to field a team good enough that the picks would at best be mid to late 10s even post Durant, Harden. And there is always the chance they might get some other superstars in the future which would completely devalue all their picks. It is very hard to get a high lottery pick from a team that has no reason to tank. Even someone as bad as Divac/King managed to avoid it. Ainge just got incredibly lucky with the situation in Brooklyn but there the initial trade was much worse and the FO was of course terrible.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 711

Post#2059 » by Kova » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:25 am

Black Mage wrote:
Stanford wrote:
Kova wrote:I don't think we're a better team with Harden.

Just look at how good Embiid looks with Seth Curry, man. Come on.

These Ben truthers are nauseating. He'll be 35 and take his 1 3 and they'll still exclaim "this is it, this changes the entire team dynamic, he's ready to shoot it, his latest hype vids are the truth!" :crazy: :banghead:

I never actually said that. I don't care if Ben shoots 3s to be honest. I value other parts of his game.
ConstableChaos
Junior
And1: 206

Post#2060 » by ConstableChaos » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:57 am

Reckon Philly offered Tobias and that same pick package for Harden? Does that work with salaries?

Nets picks likely to be better - But you also get Tobias

Return to Philadelphia 76ers