ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks Nets PG - we suck again

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Re: Knicks Nets PG - we suck again 

Post#221 » by robillionaire » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:07 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:We’re all rooting for RJ. Just don’t think this is the game to praise him. Each to their own I guess.

Well you said he is worse than Wiggins lol. He gonna be better.

We need him to be much better than Wiggins. Wiggins shouldn’t be the bar for a 3rd pick....

At this point I would be ecstatic if he ever became even close to as good as Wiggins is. Wiggins is at least a decent player, just gets a bad rep because he was the #1 pick and because he doesn’t quite live up to the max contract. RJ doesn’t even live up to the rookie contract. Sorry to spit the truth at you all
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#222 » by N Y K » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:14 am

god shammgod wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
we needed him to be more than just another guy and it's most likely heading that way. i don't think obi is that either so we're back at square one.

there are. and luck is a big factor. but good teams still seem to find those guys more often than we do.

But he's not so we can't really judge him based on those expectations, although RJ brought it on himself to some degree with the "Mamba mentality" talk before the draft.

I think we can be more patient with RJ because if anything he's playing hard and the Knicks are far better defensively when he's on the court. My hope is that the shooting struggles are a byproduct of him reworking his shooting form last summer. I'll start panicking if he doesn't show improvement in year 3.

I guess my point is, I'll knock the front office for not making the right pick. Because that's within their control. As far as the player is concerned, I want to see effort, work ethic, IQ and some form of progression. I can't blame players for not being who they're not, or for having outsized expectations placed on them. So I'll give RJ his flowers when he plays well, and criticism is fair when he plays bad.

the 3rd quarter not withstanding, he's having a terrible season. like a "he shouldn't really be playing at all" type season if he wasn't a high lottery pick. defensively he's not that good that it makes up for his offense at all. it's not just that he's obviously not a star in the making. he's objectively a bad player right now.

What’s terrible are the swings in his season. Honestly that’s the problem I’m having. His highs were pretty damn good. His lows are abysmal.

It is what it is at this point. Hope he turns the corner or develops as a consistent role player, and if not, he’s gone. Its sad, but true... but isn’t that always the case?
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,732

Post#223 » by cgf » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:15 am

dakomish23 wrote:
cgf wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:at least RJ and Quickley played solid

Knox too...nightly airhead-moment aside...

When rebuilding, you got to enjoy the brief shining moments the kids give you and hope they aren’t the exception. It’s not just about tanking.

Hopefully this mgmt team is more patient than this board

4 games ago RJB had a monster outing. Everyone was riding high. 4 bad games in a row and they’re screaming he’s a bust, let’s trade him. Not 10 games. Not even 5 games. 4 games. :lol:

He started 0-5, the frenzy was on. He finished 7-15 20 pts with 5 rebs 3 asts.

Maybe the idiots in the media are right. You can’t rebuild with the Knicks b/c the fan base doesn’t have the stomach for it.

It sure looks that way.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#224 » by BugginOut » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:20 am

RJ is leading the lead in minutes as a 20 year old putting up decent counting stats. Most of the players you are comparing him too weren't even putting up near his numbers.

Here are a list of players who put up less than 7 PPG when they were 20.
Jaylen Brown
Domantas Sabonis
Bam Adebayo
Khris Middleton

If he was in a lesser role he'd be scoring more effectively. But, since we have no other option we need him to shoot. People need to be patient. I bet by the end of the year he starts to look more and more solid.
N Y K
RealGM

Post#225 » by N Y K » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:22 am

BugginOut wrote:RJ is leading the lead in minutes as a 20 year old putting up decent counting stats. Most of the players you are comparing him too weren't even putting up near his numbers.

Here are a list of players who put up less than 7 PPG when they were 20.
Jaylen Brown
Domantas Sabonis
Bam Adebayo
Khris Middleton

If he was in a lesser role he'd be scoring more effectively. But, since we have no other option we need him to shoot. People need to be patient. I bet by the end of the year he starts to look more and more solid.

I’ll pray for you and your notifications... peace be with you.
N Y K
RealGM

Post#226 » by N Y K » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:27 am

cgf wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
cgf wrote:Knox too...nightly airhead-moment aside...

When rebuilding, you got to enjoy the brief shining moments the kids give you and hope they aren’t the exception. It’s not just about tanking.

Hopefully this mgmt team is more patient than this board

4 games ago RJB had a monster outing. Everyone was riding high. 4 bad games in a row and they’re screaming he’s a bust, let’s trade him. Not 10 games. Not even 5 games. 4 games. :lol:

He started 0-5, the frenzy was on. He finished 7-15 20 pts with 5 rebs 3 asts.

Maybe the idiots in the media are right. You can’t rebuild with the Knicks b/c the fan base doesn’t have the stomach for it.

It sure looks that way.

It definitely is that way, but the media are fans that cry about the same stuff above. They stroke the anxiety of this fan base. So they can ead.

I hate sports “media”. After we lost Chris Herring, there was nothing left.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#227 » by blueNorange » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:31 am

they just have no talent on offense, if randle ain’t scoring they have no chance.

burks scoring is missed, hopefully with obi back they have another guy that can put the ball in the hoop
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#228 » by Jimmit79 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:31 am

So blame the fans? Lmao did the fans demand a pg and instead constantly saw PF signed nonstop... Did fans ask to put out the worst possible lineups also? The only reason Knicks have always sucked and been the joke of the league is James Dolan.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,974

Post#229 » by Richard4444 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:36 am

Elf style is anachronic for 2021. He would be a hit in the 80s or 90s.

BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#230 » by blueNorange » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:38 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Obi turns 23 in March and has played 25 minutes so far, meanwhile Deni and Tyrese are rotational players already :lol:

obi is a rotation player too, jeez what’s with the dumb takes?
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#231 » by blueNorange » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:40 am

Jimmit79 wrote:So blame the fans? Lmao did the fans demand a pg and instead constantly saw PF signed nonstop... Did fans ask to put out the worst possible lineups also? The only reason Knicks have always sucked and been the joke of the league is James Dolan.

knicks drafted bpa, not need

7 teams agreed with the knicks since tyrese went 15th.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,549

Post#232 » by Gravy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:46 am

Rj looked better in the 2nd half, maybe he's coming out of his slump

Quickley finally hit some shots, we desperately need him to be decent.

Knox is currently our most consistent top 10 pick. Good for him yikes for the others.

We cant rely on Rivers to save us cause he's not that good.

Randle was going toe to toe with KD and put up 30-7-5. May as well send him to fans that would appreciate him while we crave to build around busts.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,204

Post#233 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:00 am

blueNorange wrote:
Jimmit79 wrote:So blame the fans? Lmao did the fans demand a pg and instead constantly saw PF signed nonstop... Did fans ask to put out the worst possible lineups also? The only reason Knicks have always sucked and been the joke of the league is James Dolan.

knicks drafted bpa, not need

7 teams agreed with the knicks since tyrese went 15th.

he went 12th
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,180

Post#234 » by DOT » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:02 am

blueNorange wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Obi turns 23 in March and has played 25 minutes so far, meanwhile Deni and Tyrese are rotational players already :lol:

obi is a rotation player too, jeez what’s with the dumb takes?

Man, we really went from "Obi is clearly better by far than any other player available and will easily blow them out of the water from day one" to "Obi is just as good as the guys taken after him, who are younger and better fitting in the modern NBA, please stop mentioning his age"

yikes.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,860

Post#235 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:14 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:We’re all rooting for RJ. Just don’t think this is the game to praise him. Each to their own I guess.

We need him to be much better than Wiggins. Wiggins shouldn’t be the bar for a 3rd pick....

Is he?

Wiggins is a dissapointment but he's not that bad. The guy has had multiple 20pts 5 boards seasons and is a solid defender, at least in theory.

In 2016-2017, he was 23.6pg on 35% from 3...what at all has RJ shown that would make you think he'd reach that level?

I think RJ can be a good NBA player and his shot will come around. But he's not better than wiggins yet, and Wiggins has already shown way more scoring, shooting, and defensive ability.

RJ has not shown anything to make me think he'd be better than what Wiggins has shown.

I wish it weren't true, but numbers don't lie.
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,860

Post#236 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:20 am

robillionaire wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:

He’s way worse than Wiggins. Why don’t you pull them up side by side on basketball reference and compare for yourself

Yeah, seriously. Wiggins, at least statistically, has had a good career so far. Production wise, RJ is nothing close to Wiggins's peak so far. Wiggins was also an 18ppg 33% from 3, solid defender on a team that was on pace to win 50+ games in the Western conference just like 3 seasons ago.

RJ has only shown faint glimpses of that.

Wiggins has been a disappointment for all of his talents, and a lot of his production hasn't contributed to winning. But RJ hasn't shown anything close to any of that.
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,313

Post#237 » by rajajackal » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:26 am

i can't believe i'm saying this about a player, but rj needs to take more 15-18 footers rather than always plowing towards the rim. thibs needs to start knox at the 3 for now, and he needs to be force-fed. after we get burks, frank, and obi back, i think we'll get better as the season progresses
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#238 » by Sark » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:26 am

mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This had me cracking up :lol:

matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,830

Post#239 » by matchman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:32 am

Payton is to confirming our route is to tank or to treadmill. And no we won't win a champ in Biden / Harris era.

The last time we won an NBA champ, it was Nixon being US president, and he was a Republican.
Are you fans of the team or the player?
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,830

Post#240 » by matchman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:34 am

I was joking in the other post, we will get better when our injured players come back. :)
Are you fans of the team or the player?

Return to New York Knicks