How will you remember James Harden's legacy in his 9 seasons at Houston Rockets?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Vader
Rookie
And1: 336

Re: How will you remember James Harden's legacy in his 9 seasons at Houston Rockets? 

Post#41 » by Vader » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:54 am

most underrated player.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,144

Re: How will you remember James Harden's legacy in his 9 seasons at Houston Rockets? 

Post#42 » by rapstarter » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:07 am

Dr Aki wrote:Similar to pre #1 ring Jordan legacy

A MVP-level talented ballhog chucker that didn't play winning team basketball

I guess they have one more thing in common: running into an all-time great team.
shi-woo
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,099

Post#43 » by shi-woo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:18 am

Cemented himself as the 4th greatest SG of all time behind the big 3 of MJ, Kobe, and Wade. Greatest iso player since MJ. Revolutionized the way people play basketball. I find it funny that it was Harden, not LeBron, that finally tipped the scales and ushered in the new era of position-less bball (LeBron and Magic obviously started it, but people didn't start talking about it seriously before Harden. Still makes no sense to me)

Raised the floor of his team to a ridiculous level, but needed a closing robin to help him. Made the most out of every team he had, but like every Chris Paul team he was an injury away from actually delivering. Even if they beat the Warriors that year, they weren't beating the Cavs with Paul out or gimpy.

The SG version of Charles Barkley. Leaves you wanting more, but you know he really didn't have a shot to deliver it
oaf54
Freshman
And1: 70

Post#44 » by oaf54 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:55 am

I'll remember it as some of the ugliest versions of basketball the game has ever seen.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,254

Post#45 » by Lunartic » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:01 am

I enjoyed knowing there was a team so devoid of self-respect that they just jacked up 3s all game long even when it clearly losing them a chance at a title.
Harden is one of the most influential offensive players in modern NBA history, tons of players have copied his steptravel-back jumper and his ridiculous flopping.
Hopefully he retires without a ring but I'll be rooting for him against the Lakers in the Finals.
Rust_Cohle
Sixth Man
And1: 2,212

Post#46 » by Rust_Cohle » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:02 am

0-27
Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,862

Post#47 » by Hoopstar23 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:04 am

2018 WCF
wonkrazyz28
Junior
And1: 710

Post#48 » by wonkrazyz28 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:17 am

The 2nd greatest Rocket of all time. Without question and it isn't even close. Had he won a championship or 2, it would be debatable that he'd be greater than Hakeem in franchise history.
The greatest purely offensive player of all time and I will die on that hill. Nobody from a combined pure scorer and passing standpoint did it better. Period. I don't care. I have seen it all.
Perennial playoff birth. The floor was raised incredibly high with him simply being on the court.
Never once lost a series in which he wasn't favored to win.
1-time MVP but Rocket fans will fight tooth and nail saying we thought he deserved 3, at least back to back.
The shear impact he had offensively against opposing defenses isn't anything I have ever seen in the 32 years I have watched the NBA.

The greatest SG of his generation and its not even close. All time great and 1st ballot unanimous HOF if his career ended today.

It honestly was a pleasure to watch him grow over the years. I'm not mad, I get it. This team isn't winning anything and he did do what he could and now its time to go.
rand
Starter
And1: 3,115

Post#49 » by rand » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:17 am

HoustonCougars
Sophomore
And1: 195

Post#50 » by HoustonCougars » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:20 am

As a lifelong Rockets fan, I share no ill will and wish him the best. He gave the city, 9 very good and competitive years. Even as a fan, it got tiring having to defend his obvious ref baiting. Supremely talented offensive player who got us close a couple times to the promise land, but unfortunately like many other teams, always came up against 1 or 2 better teams.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#51 » by Warriors Analyst » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:31 am

The most striking memory I have of Harden is not necessarily representative of his entire legacy in Houston, but I do think it has some symbolism to it.

On Christmas of 2019, the garbage Warriors squad lead by DLo and Draymond Green beat the Rockets. They did so by trapping the hell out of Harden above the three point line and forcing him to give up the ball, which Harden did. But once he gave up the ball, Harden mostly just stood there like a petulant child. It was as if Harden was so annoyed by the concept of the trap that he decided, "well if you're going to do some BS like trap me, then I'll show you my displeasure by... not moving at all."

And so it was that the Warriors got the ball into the hands of non-Harden players on the Rockets, namely Russ — the guy Harden forced Morey into trading for while giving up picks and the better player — who went 11/32 and 0/8 from three with 5 assists and 4 turnovers.

In a meaningless game, Harden was so annoyed by the garbage squad Warriors' strategy that he basically checked himself out of the game when he didn't have the ball in his hands in order to prove god knows what point while his chosen point guard shot the Rockets out of the game.

Irony of all ironies is that Harden was 9/18 and 6/10 from three that game with 11 assists. He also didn't shoot a single free throw, which I think is very indicative of how little he was making an effort to get himself involved below the three point line after he'd get trapped.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,116

Post#52 » by God Squad » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:31 am

Getting his Jersey retired at a strip club. Legendary stuff right there.
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#53 » by Ill News » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:41 am

One of the most eye-popping stat machines the modern NBA has seen with his scoring prowess and assist numbers.

Also, one of the players with the most frustrating and disgusting playing styles I have ever seen. He just wasn't fun to watch sometimes.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#54 » by NoZoLakers » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:45 am

ill remember harden for creating the super step step back and shooting 20fts/gm
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#55 » by Catchall » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:46 am

MVP, one of the most efficient offensive players in the history of the game, ran up against a superteam.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#56 » by Metallikid » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:59 am

He's probably the Rockets 2nd best player ever. Got them to within a hair's breadth of the Finals, but other years underperformed. One of the best regular season players you could hope for. Boring style but exciting results. His signature step-back is a travel. Change my mind.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#57 » by Beethoven » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:04 am

I'll remember he was a player for the Houston rockets for a very long ass time.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,681

Post#58 » by TinmanZBoy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:04 am

a hell of run ... this probably is not the right moment to celebrate his legacy... after a couple of years, I am sure a lot of Rockets fans will cherish what he has done to the team in a positive way...
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,343

Post#59 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:14 am

Drygon wrote:How will you remember James Harden's legacy in his 9 seasons at Houston Rockets?

Well, it's made him an absolute lock for the Hall and then some. He should clearly be on any all-time Top 50 list ahead of all guys known primarily for playing on the Rockets except Hakeem and Moses (assuming you think of Moses primarily as a Rocket).

But I'll say that "legacy" to me is also about what you leave behind and the damage you cause in your wake.

I'm someone who defended Harden for years and years in part because he's from my neck of the woods and I wanted him to succeed, but the way he responded after he forced the Rockets to get rid of Paul is just indefensible.

Calvin Murphy was just caught on a mike saying Harden quit on the team...and Murphy is a Rockets legend. He was not as good as Harden and his era of Rockets was not as good as Harden's era...but I'd imagine long-time Rockets fans would tend to see Murphy as the greater Rocket at this point, because Murphy's got a continued legacy, and Harden utterly sabotaged the Rockets to get what he wanted after he put them in a bad position to placate his ego.

I understand the whole "There is no loyalty" thing in general, but when you have a chance to go down as an icon in a city that has built you up, I think you're a fool to publicly spit in their face.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
MoochieNorris
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,443

Post#60 » by MoochieNorris » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:28 am

loser when it mattered
had to join two former champions in order to chase a ring he'll never get

Return to The General Board