ImageImageImageImageImage

Who are we even trying to build around?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Who should we build around?

Randle
15%
Barrett
24%
Obi and iq
10%
Elfrid Payton
20%
Other
32%

Total votes: 41

Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,002

Re: Who are we even trying to build around? 

Post#81 » by Reign23 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:32 pm

i would sell randle at his highest value. and that is right now. that would solve tanking and fit issues.
I'm nowhere near giving up on RJ yet and MItch is cleary a keeper and our best young player.

So Randle has to be traded because all 3 can't shoot. oh and we drafted a PF with a top 10 pick just 2 months ago.

Sorry... just my 2 cents.
formerly known as knickst4pe
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,002

Post#82 » by Reign23 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:37 pm

oh and btw. Randle has played reeeeeeeeally well. All star level even, but no way he is better than Sabonis. stop that
formerly known as knickst4pe
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,782

Post#83 » by Stannis » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:46 pm

This is Randle's team and he's getting the max. Deal with it
Free Palestine
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,730

Post#84 » by cgf » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:01 pm

Stannis wrote:This is Randle's team and he's getting the max. Deal with it

...the Mannis knows what's up.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,637

Post#85 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:04 pm

F N 11 wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
DaGawd wrote:Every year the fans choose somebody to scapegoat.. then that scapegoat leaves and we still suck we move on to another scapegoat. I’m not a Payton fan.. but he isn’t the reason R sucks
Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

Agreed, he’s the reason the team sucks. He was hand picked to be the PG and this is the result. Need a real point guard which has been our need forever so Payton, Mudiay, Burke and guys of that sort is never the reason no one develops. When Payton got a king ass leash with bad play nothing else needs to be said imo. Keep thinking Payton is some good point guard who gets everyone involved.
Payton is a journeyman. We know that. But what exactly is preventing RJ from doing? Another pg will make him knock down catch and shoots? Another point guard will let him finish at the rim? Another guard will improve his handle?

Payton by himself doesn't create spacing issues. Why should the defence get up on RJ if he can't hit a J? If RJ gets to the rim the C still collapses and RJ still can't find Mitch.

cgf
RealGM

Post#86 » by cgf » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:09 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
F N 11 wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:Thank you!

Agreed, he’s the reason the team sucks. He was hand picked to be the PG and this is the result. Need a real point guard which has been our need forever so Payton, Mudiay, Burke and guys of that sort is never the reason no one develops. When Payton got a king ass leash with bad play nothing else needs to be said imo. Keep thinking Payton is some good point guard who gets everyone involved.
Payton is a journeyman. We know that. But what exactly is preventing RJ from doing? Another pg will make him knock down catch and shoots? Another point guard will let him finish at the rim? Another guard will improve his handle?

Payton by himself doesn't create spacing issues. Why should the defence get up on RJ if he can't hit a J? If RJ gets to the rim the C still collapses and RJ still can't find Mitch.

Not saying RJ doesn't have plenty of room to improve in his own right or that anything other than practice & confidence will help him sink open 3s...but having less of a crowd at the rim would undoubtedly help RJ finish better when he gets there.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#87 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:49 pm

cgf wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
F N 11 wrote:Agreed, he’s the reason the team sucks. He was hand picked to be the PG and this is the result. Need a real point guard which has been our need forever so Payton, Mudiay, Burke and guys of that sort is never the reason no one develops. When Payton got a king ass leash with bad play nothing else needs to be said imo. Keep thinking Payton is some good point guard who gets everyone involved.

Not saying RJ doesn't have plenty of room to improve in his own right or that anything other than practice & confidence will help him sink open 3s...but having less of a crowd at the rim would undoubtedly help RJ finish better when he gets there.
If he can get there. You still just gap him and the big still is there waiting. Shooting over 3 versus 4.

cgf
RealGM

Post#88 » by cgf » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
cgf wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:Payton is a journeyman. We know that. But what exactly is preventing RJ from doing? Another pg will make him knock down catch and shoots? Another point guard will let him finish at the rim? Another guard will improve his handle?

If he can get there. You still just gap him and the big still is there waiting. Shooting over 3 versus 4.

He's been getting there :dontknow:

prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#89 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:53 pm

cgf wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
cgf wrote:

He's been getting there :dontknow:
And he'll still be in traffic.

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,963

Post#90 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:41 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
If the goal is to build a contender, then I think its going to be even more difficult to build that kind of team around Randle as a top 2 or 3 option. He's not really an easy guy to fit around. If we make that commitment its just gonna be tough to bring in the right fitting pieces and we will also have to pay him in 1 1/2 years. Just seems like we would be spinning our wheels and treading water at best.

As good as Randle is playing he is still nowhere in Jokic's league. KP? It really depends if he can stay healthy and get better. But his skill set is easier to build around since he protects the rim and spaces the floor better. Don't really want to defend KP right now and he may prove not worthy of the contract.

As far as Randle, he does look much better and on the right team can win. But from what we are starting with its gonna be real hard to do and think long term we are better off going in another direction

Don’t see why he can’t fit on a contender. The guy is a scoring machine, plays defense now, and a great facilitator. If guys like Sabonis and Jokic can have big roles on playoffs teams then so can Randle. He basically does the same things as them.
Prejudice is all. Randle plays a similar style to Sabonis with better defence. Put him with a star backcourt player and defensive 5 and he can contend.

So Knicks get a star back court player and we're fine.

We have a good defensive 5 in Mitch, so your saying we are just missing a star backcourt player? No doubt that would help, but we still need more then that.

Randle is playing well and respect to that. He could def help good teams who need a specific role. Really, a lot depends on what kind of salary we are talking about for his next contract and what our team looks like at that point. Just think its gonna be real tough to have all the pieces in place or leave flexibility to add those pieces while giving Randle a big raise. Impossible to say for sure so probably a wait and see. But if someone offers a good deal for Randle I would take it. Nobody on this team should be untouchable.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#91 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:17 am

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Don’t see why he can’t fit on a contender. The guy is a scoring machine, plays defense now, and a great facilitator. If guys like Sabonis and Jokic can have big roles on playoffs teams then so can Randle. He basically does the same things as them.
Prejudice is all. Randle plays a similar style to Sabonis with better defence. Put him with a star backcourt player and defensive 5 and he can contend.

We have a good defensive 5 in Mitch, so your saying we are just missing a star backcourt player? No doubt that would help, but we still need more then that.

Randle is playing well and respect to that. He could def help good teams who need a specific role. Really, a lot depends on what kind of salary we are talking about for his next contract and what our team looks like at that point. Just think its gonna be real tough to have all the pieces in place or leave flexibility to add those pieces while giving Randle a big raise. Impossible to say for sure so probably a wait and see. But if someone offers a good deal for Randle I would take it. Nobody on this team should be untouchable.
We have 19 million and picks to get our backcourt guy. Then yes you can have a contender.

Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#92 » by Jimmit79 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:48 am

Reign23 wrote:i would sell randle at his highest value. and that is right now. that would solve tanking and fit issues.
I'm nowhere near giving up on RJ yet and MItch is cleary a keeper and our best young player.

So Randle has to be traded because all 3 can't shoot. oh and we drafted a PF with a top 10 pick just 2 months ago.

Sorry... just my 2 cents.
I would only trade Randle if it's for top 15 pick or a young starter lvl guards otherwise just sign him because nobody else is coming to play for the Knicks especially with this covid.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Post#93 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:56 am

Knox
Free Palestine
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#94 » by WargamesX » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:55 am

It’s hard to tell because for we don’t have a PG...... again, because Rose thought he was being a genius and drafted IQ when IQ will likely need 3-4 years to adapt physically to the league and kept Elfrid.

Plus Thibs stays playing Elfrid too who sucks :banghead:
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,022

Post#95 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:14 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
If the goal is to build a contender, then I think its going to be even more difficult to build that kind of team around Randle as a top 2 or 3 option. He's not really an easy guy to fit around. If we make that commitment its just gonna be tough to bring in the right fitting pieces and we will also have to pay him in 1 1/2 years. Just seems like we would be spinning our wheels and treading water at best.

As good as Randle is playing he is still nowhere in Jokic's league. KP? It really depends if he can stay healthy and get better. But his skill set is easier to build around since he protects the rim and spaces the floor better. Don't really want to defend KP right now and he may prove not worthy of the contract.

As far as Randle, he does look much better and on the right team can win. But from what we are starting with its gonna be real hard to do and think long term we are better off going in another direction

Don’t see why he can’t fit on a contender. The guy is a scoring machine, plays defense now, and a great facilitator. If guys like Sabonis and Jokic can have big roles on playoffs teams then so can Randle. He basically does the same things as them.

Imagine how good a team could be if they had Anthony Davis, Jrue Holiday and Julius Randle :o

Randle been a loser his entire career, and he's still a loser now, putting up empty stats like a madman, how is he any different than Andre Drummond? I know one difference actually, and it's that Drummond actually got his team to the playoffs a couple times.

Wanting to build around Randle is the most Knick thing ever, imagine we win the lottery and Cade has to play off the ball cause it's Randles team :lol:
ohboy109
Rookie
And1: 225

Post#96 » by ohboy109 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:35 am

iLLmatic860 wrote:Randle for one has been playing great and his assist numbers are the highest it's been in his career but I'm not quite sure he actually makes his teammates better. So wtf is our plan with Randle?

We drafted Obi who we have yet to see really and he plays the same position.

What are we trying to accomplish. Randle and RJ are a horrible fit together and I feel like RJ has lost all confidence. We have no choice to turn RJ into a spot up shooter when Randle is on the floor. Yes RJ is missing wide open shots but that's not his game.

But the goal still has to be develop RJ and build around him, right?

Then our PG rotation is so trash that Elfrid continues to start

We need to trade Randle by the deadline. His value is increasing from last season. We need to take any competent PG who can actually space the floor.

whoever said Randle is clueless
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#97 » by Da_Mane_Man » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:28 am

Nobody. None of them are good enough to built around.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,633

Post#98 » by DaGawd » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:39 am

It should be Randle based on talent.. all our actual own selections are role players at best
BaF
Washington Wizards
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#99 » by WargamesX » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:23 pm

We are where Philly was before they drafted Embiid. We need to keep trying to hit in the lottery
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,633

Post#100 » by DaGawd » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:32 pm

WargamesX wrote:We are where Philly was before they drafted Embiid. We need to keep trying to hit in the lottery

Were really not tho... they capitalized on the lottery system of old where there was more incentive to finish the worst you can and have pretty good chances at a top 3 pick (and largely might be the reason why the system is different now). We can follow that model but the odds are drastically different now and being the worst team in the league is no longer a guaranteed pick of the cream of the crop in the draft. In addition to that we aren’t actually actively trying to put out the worst product we can... we’ll maybe we are idk how else to explain why we seem to be putting together rosters better suited for 90s style basketball while everyone else is bombs away from 3 at decent clips
BaF
Washington Wizards

Return to New York Knicks