ImageImageImage

2021 Playoff and Offseason Speculation - the playoffs. PLAYOFFS????

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Will we extend Bridges or will Sarver not pay 4 players big money for 1 or 2 years?

Yes, we extend him or at least match any offer as he is part of core
88%
No, Sarver will want to trade him to save money so little salary coming back, draft pick
13%

Total votes: 24

nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Re: 2020 Season Speculation - the season begins, with a lot of new faces 

Post#341 » by nevetsov » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:07 am

bigfoot wrote:
Desertfox wrote:Suns socially distancing defense confirmed to be effective!

In combination with socially distancing along the three-point arc on offense. They should be safe.

And Ayton socially distancing from the basket!
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,538

Post#342 » by Qwigglez » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:18 am

Our starting five consist of 5 very high IQ players (yes Ayton included), I figure it won't take them too much longer to figure out how to maximize their talent. Part of the issue I think is we are still trying to utilize Booker as a playmaker too much. I'd rather see Book get some Rip Hamilton like plays for him where he's only thinking about shooting coming off screens. CP3 has a very high assist-to-turnover ratio, best of his career in fact. He should have the ball more in his hands, and if we want to utilize Booker as a playmaker it should only be when CP3 is on the bench.
I'm surprised we were able to add players like Galloway and Moore who got a ton of playing time last year only to come to the Suns where they get a handful of minutes, or for Moore none at all. Jevon Carter has been pretty bad so far and his minutes should be given to Moore or give Galloway some more time since he is shooting 48% from 3 so far this season. I don't understand why Galloway isn't getting more opportunity especially when our offense stagnates.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#343 » by Mulhollanddrive » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:46 am

Are our players allowed to be together this week?

Hope they're getting in some film study.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,046

Post#344 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:53 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Are our players allowed to be together this week?

Hope they're getting in some film study.

I seriously doubt it. But they can do some zoom film study.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,864

Post#345 » by grumpysaddle » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:04 am

Waive Damian Jones and pick up Thon Maker off waivers?

I dunno how waivers work at all, or much at all about Thon Maker TBH, but he's gotta be better than Jones.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#346 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:17 am

Really would have been nice if our Wizards game was postponed, not only because it would have prevented a loss, but we'd likely be playing tonight going into it at 7-3, and then also playing Friday.

As careful as they are, it is strange they didn't realize that there was something up with the Wizards.
KLEON
Analyst
And1: 1,929

Post#347 » by KLEON » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:25 am

bwgood77 wrote:Really would have been nice if our Wizards game was postponed, not only because it would have prevented a loss, but we'd likely be playing tonight going into it at 7-3, and then also playing Friday.

As careful as they are, it is strange they didn't realize that there was something up with the Wizards.

For once I agree with you
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#348 » by suns12345 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:28 am

bwgood77 wrote:Really would have been nice if our Wizards game was postponed, not only because it would have prevented a loss, but we'd likely be playing tonight going into it at 7-3, and then also playing Friday.

Its ludicrous BW. multiple people on here (not me - but others) picked up on the pattern with the wizards and predicted what would happen. How can RealGM pundits be all over this and not the NBA? crazy.

As for your post a page or so back, here in Aus we have been testing people on day 2 and day 10-12 of their close contact and it seems plenty of people dont return a positive test on day 2 but are positive on day 10-12. We are very rigorous over here, so not sure if that same level of rigour is being used in the NBA process for testing... I doubt it as i recall seeing somewhere close contacts in the NBA only need to isolate for only 7 days? (i could be wrong though).

As for people being infected twice, heard nothing like that here, but have heard of a few cases where people who have had the virus a while ago still test positive months later for whatever reason, but they aren't "infected" in the general sense (not sure of the correct medical explanation there). Anyway, next few weeks of NBA will be interesting. Hoping we still get games.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#349 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:48 am

suns12345 wrote:

Its ludicrous BW. multiple people on here (not me - but others) picked up on the pattern with the wizards and predicted what would happen. How can RealGM pundits be all over this and not the NBA? crazy.

As for your post a page or so back, here in Aus we have been testing people on day 2 and day 10-12 of their close contact and it seems plenty of people dont return a positive test on day 2 but are positive on day 10-12. We are very rigorous over here, so not sure if that same level of rigour is being used in the NBA process for testing... I doubt it as i recall seeing somewhere close contacts in the NBA only need to isolate for only 7 days? (i could be wrong though).

As for people being infected twice, heard nothing like that here, but have heard of a few cases where people who have had the virus a while ago still test positive months later for whatever reason, but they aren't "infected" in the general sense (not sure of the correct medical explanation there). Anyway, next few weeks of NBA will be interesting. Hoping we still get games.

Yeah, I just listened to the Lowe Post with Zach Lowe and WOJ talking about how players were not enjoying this season and they talked about COVID a lot, and then Lowe brought on a doctor and he mentioned that typically someone who has had it doesn't need to quarantine for 90 days and probably won't get it, but they could later test positive, which would likely mean, if it's a second infection that you have a very low viral load and probably are not really contagious...at least not like someone that had a medium to large viral load.

But yeah, if we are tracing everyone in contact with two guys who tested positive and they played the other night, we likely have more games canceled, since we go 9 deep and have 2 guys injured. I'd rather not play at all then it be only 7 or 8 guys with a few rotation players out.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#350 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:04 am

grumpysaddle wrote:Waive Damian Jones and pick up Thon Maker off waivers?

I dunno how waivers work at all, or much at all about Thon Maker TBH, but he's gotta be better than Jones.
Thons bad but so is Jones so sure why not.

Highlight of Thons basketball career. The flying kicks are hilarious.

https://youtu.be/bkA9gf6PTH4

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,037

Post#351 » by Revived » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:13 am

I think it’s too soon to consider a starting lineup change. And I can’t think of a move that would fix the issues we have in the 1st QTR either.

Best solution that I think would work is what lilfishi mentioned yesterday or the day before. Bring Payne in way earlier in the 1st QTR and let him push the pace and play a more fast style offense.

Keep CP3’s minutes at like 25 mins a game during the reg season by bringing Payne in early in the 1st and 3rd QTRs.

Chris Paul’s style of play of being super slow pace is outdated in the NBA. The only time it’s used or needed is at the end of games and we can just save his legs for that time. The final 6 mins or so should be when we play the slow style of basketball, other times we should be pushing the ball imo.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#352 » by Bogyo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:34 am

Revived wrote:I think it’s too soon to consider a starting lineup change. And I can’t think of a move that would fix the issues we have in the 1st QTR either.

Best solution that I think would work is what lilfishi mentioned yesterday or the day before. Bring Payne in way earlier in the 1st QTR and let him push the pace and play a more fast style offense.

Keep CP3’s minutes at like 25 mins a game during the reg season by bringing Payne in early in the 1st and 3rd QTRs.

Chris Paul’s style of play of being super slow pace is outdated in the NBA. The only time it’s used or needed is at the end of games and we can just save his legs for that time. The final 6 mins or so should be when we play the slow style of basketball, other times we should be pushing the ball imo.

I've been advocating this as well. Also, CP should be smart enough to understand this, and Monty should be in his ear about this - when he is on the court in the first 3 quarters, he could pick his spots to run a bit more, push the pace here and there, when there is an opportunity for him or others to get out on the break and run a bit more. That would make our offense so much better.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#353 » by nevetsov » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:45 am

Paul would be great on a team like Utah, with Gobert knowing how to set an actual screen and how to roll to the basket. Plus I think Mitchell handles the half court game better than Book. Jingles and Bogdan spacing the floor too.

Too bad there's no way they'd take on his $44m for next season.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#354 » by Mulhollanddrive » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:33 pm

Washington 3 players positive.

Wonder when we play again and with how many.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#355 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:52 pm

Revived wrote:I think it’s too soon to consider a starting lineup change. And I can’t think of a move that would fix the issues we have in the 1st QTR either.

I think a few key things here.

As I mentioned, OKC started 8-12 and then went 36-16 with Paul after that, so I think there is an adjustment period with Paul.

Also, Paul does get benched more quickly with Crowder, but the big problem is they usually seem to then bring in Carter, and he has sucked.

They need to bring in Payne first.

I would also consider starting Cam.

Chemistry will improve though.

Paul and Ayton and Paul and Booker will get better together.

I do kind of wish we could go back and go with my preference in the offseason....keep Rubio and trade Oubre for Gordon which we knew was on the table.

Gordon has been shooting 56% from 2 and 36% from 3, and Gordon and Rubio would have been a little more than $5 less than Paul. He also would have helped with rebounding.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#356 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:53 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Washington 3 players positive.

Wonder when we play again and with how many.

We will be in quarantine for likely 7 days and anyone positive, 14. Not good, especially since they are positive so quickly after game. But viral load is supposed to be low before positive tests so not real contagious, so we could potentially dodge bullets, especially if a number of our players have already had it.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,092

Post#357 » by Frank Lee » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:54 pm

nevetsov wrote:Paul would be great on a team like Utah, with Gobert knowing how to set an actual screen and how to roll to the basket. Plus I think Mitchell handles the half court game better than Book. Jingles and Bogdan spacing the floor too.

Too bad there's no way they'd take on his $44m for next season.

Nobody is going to, unless desperate. So wondering if we are ‘all in’ on CP. It was a ballzy move getting him, considering the success with Rubio .... and now we are seeing a bog down, with many suggesting we need to pick up the pace in a most nonCP way.

Future Translation? Obtaining CP was a mistake. The FO was so delighted that CP selected them as if it was some form of peer validation, that they underthought the different style of play between Rubio and Paul. And now we are stuck with this for the next season too? I don’t think a mediocre year with a nominal playoff appearance was the plan. We already had that envisioned.

I can’t see this squad playing any better than what their nightly 3pt % allows. Paul is not going to push it, Ayton is not going to get it, and the rest will just chuck away. Will there be a difference making deal? Hard to imagine a Paul going somewhere..... I would say at this point, Ayton is the best chip we can offer up. But where does that put us? Still a plodding mudwading team?

CP is the problem. There, I said it.
What ? Me Worry ?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#358 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:55 pm

Not only is trading Paul for Rubio not working so far, and an Oubre for Gordon or something else would have likely helped as well, it sucks on top of that we traded a 1st.

I do expect the chemistry to improve, but it had gotten so good with the right lineups that's is disappointing. Miyagi right so far.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#359 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:58 pm

One thing to also remember is that we also beat Denver and Utah on a b2b, the Kings on a b2b, all 3 games on the road, Dallas, Indy on the road, crushed the Pelicans, and beat Toronto, who has played people tough but also have had a tough go themselves being displaced in Tampa.

Most all of that is really impressive, so I don't think we should put a ton of stock in two bad games, even against bad teams, given the fact our shooting was poor, which is going to happen, and we were missing Payne for one of those games.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,634

Post#360 » by Saberestar » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:05 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Not only is trading Paul for Rubio not working so far, and an Oubre for Gordon or something else would have likely helped as well, it sucks on top of that we traded a 1st.

I do expect the chemistry to improve, but it had gotten so good with the right lineups that's is disappointing. Miyagi right so far.

Results over narrative.

We are 7W-4L, 4th in the West.

We have had a succesfull start of the season so far and we have plenty of room to get better.

I do not understand why people are thinking that this team is not good...when we have won very good teams like the Nuggets, Jazz, Mavs and Indiana.

Return to Phoenix Suns